RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stacey Lovelace-Tolbert & Tamara Moore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Fantasy Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 06/23/06 5:04 pm    ::: Stacey Lovelace-Tolbert & Tamara Moore Reply Reply with quote

VGM options questions:

Stacey = Only a PF? (how 'bout SF?)

Tamara = Only a SG? (how 'bout PG?)

And while I've got you, Asjha Jones at SF as well as PF?

Sorry if I'm being annoying - I'm just wondering how this works. Is it just that there would be too many people in 2 categories so you only have the most popular/most likely-to-be-needed ones? Thanks...

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 06/23/06 5:31 pm    ::: Re: Stacey Lovelace-Tolbert & Tamara Moore Reply Reply with quote

thesixthwoman wrote:
VGM options questions:

Stacey = Only a PF? (how 'bout SF?)

Tamara = Only a SG? (how 'bout PG?)

And while I've got you, Asjha Jones at SF as well as PF?

Sorry if I'm being annoying - I'm just wondering how this works. Is it just that there would be too many people in 2 categories so you only have the most popular/most likely-to-be-needed ones? Thanks...

I said I'd try to make some changes this weekend if I had time, and how it works is, I try to make the rosters as right as I can, but after the first few weeks or so, I basically stop making changes and only add new players and I'm seriously considering doing away with the dual positions and going back to the way the old ESPN game was, and they only have one position.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 06/23/06 5:52 pm    ::: Re: Stacey Lovelace-Tolbert & Tamara Moore Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:

I said I'd try to make some changes this weekend if I had time, and how it works is, I try to make the rosters as right as I can, but after the first few weeks or so, I basically stop making changes and only add new players and I'm seriously considering doing away with the dual positions and going back to the way the old ESPN game was, and they only have one position.

um. ok. i hope i'm not coming off as ungrateful for your time and efforts - i find it's hard to make suggestions without possibly sounding that way.
i didn't realize you stopped making changes after a while...and please don't do away with the dual positions because of this thread --or I may soon be receiving a great deal of hate e-mail! but if the dual-positions are increasing your workload, well, that's another story.

um, do you need any help calculating EFF scores sometimes? just to lighten the load? or I guess you've written a program that does it...

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 06/23/06 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really do stop making changes after the first few weeks, and it was the same way last year, as far as changing positions, adding players and keeping up with new positions is the hardest part for me, it's so subjective and I don't like to make changes, one big reason is that it isn't fair to people that may have had to set their lineups in advance, that was one of the main objectives for me when I wrote the game was to allow people to pick their lineups well in advance.

As far as calculating the eff scores, I do have several programs that I had to write to do it, it's then put in a database and if you've ever dealt with SQL(relational) dbs much it needs to be set up with a lot of linkage between tables, and once set up it allows you to do a lot of things, but they have to be put in the same way and all the fields have to lineup and the fields relate to each other, so it's really not a matter of calculating the eff scores, it's all linked and the way the data gets put in isn't like a spreadsheet, it has similarities, it's more like linked spreadsheets this field gets data from this spreadsheet, and so forth.

I really don't plan on changing the multi-positions, but I did consider just going to the single positions, but everybody(mostly) likes the multiple positions, so I'll keep it unless it really becomes a problem, it's really a time issue, if I had the time I'd write some interfaces to some of this stuff and this would allow me to give some people the keys to the game, but I've never really had the time to set it all up, I run basically the whole program from a Unix command line, I know it like the back of my hand, and I usually can spot problems instantly and know what is wrong, but it's not intuitive until you've done it for a long time.

thesixthwoman

PostPosted: 06/24/06 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
I really do stop making changes after the first few weeks, and it was the same way last year, as far as changing positions, adding players and keeping up with new positions is the hardest part for me, it's so subjective and I don't like to make changes, one big reason is that it isn't fair to people that may have had to set their lineups in advance, that was one of the main objectives for me when I wrote the game was to allow people to pick their lineups well in advance.

As far as calculating the eff scores, I do have several programs that I had to write to do it, it's then put in a database and if you've ever dealt with SQL(relational) dbs much it needs to be set up with a lot of linkage between tables, and once set up it allows you to do a lot of things, but they have to be put in the same way and all the fields have to lineup and the fields relate to each other, so it's really not a matter of calculating the eff scores, it's all linked and the way the data gets put in isn't like a spreadsheet, it has similarities, it's more like linked spreadsheets this field gets data from this spreadsheet, and so forth.

I really don't plan on changing the multi-positions, but I did consider just going to the single positions, but everybody(mostly) likes the multiple positions, so I'll keep it unless it really becomes a problem, it's really a time issue, if I had the time I'd write some interfaces to some of this stuff and this would allow me to give some people the keys to the game, but I've never really had the time to set it all up, I run basically the whole program from a Unix command line, I know it like the back of my hand, and I usually can spot problems instantly and know what is wrong, but it's not intuitive until you've done it for a long time.

Reb - I meant to respond to this earlier, but I guess I got distracted...

First of all, you're way over my head with the SQL and Unix stuff. i don't know squat about UNIX except that people I trust say it's the shit and I should know it, but I have absolutely no cause to even learn it...and here i am thinking i'm so cool 'cause i could create a spreadsheet that would calculate the EFF scores (!) HA! i did learn some dbase programs like 10 years ago in grad school, and although i'm sure things are far more sophisticated now, i think i get what you're saying about all of it being connected - but i don't know UNIX so i may only think I get it. but it's kind of like a complicated spreadsheet - setting it up correctly is the tough part, but once it's there you can just change any element and all the rest fall in line.

compared to most people on this board, i'm probably a computer novice -- and i'm only recently getting over my long-term MAC resistance and learning about MAC stuff (she said, while typing on her iBook), but compared to my 'regular' friends, well, i'm one of the people they call when they have computer problems! poor slobs...

as far as changes - i wouldn't want you to make changes that would be unfair to other players. i was just bringing up things that i've come across. for example, i almost emailed you to tell you that Lovelace-Tolbert wasn't in the pull-down menu (!) because i just assumed she had to be in the 3/SF spot, and not in the 4/PF spot, but then i realized i should check the other 'forward' option first...duh. so, part of it was that at first i thought i was going to be alerting you to something that was overlooked. i couldn't find her last time i wanted her either, i'm sure because i made the same error, but since in MY head this was the second time, i figured there must be a problem. then i double-checked and realized that she was only at the 4-spot, and then i figured if i was going to post, i might as well mention the other players, too. does that make sense?

anyway, no matter. i just wanted to clarify what i was thinking about because i really didn't want you to think i was just making 'demands' willy-nilly or sumthin'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Fantasy Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: