RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Comet Offer Sheet - Perkins Resigns with Chicago

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 02/25/08 10:44 am    ::: Comet Offer Sheet - Perkins Resigns with Chicago Reply Reply with quote

The Comets signed Jia Perkins to an offer sheet. As an RFA, Chicago will have the chance to match that offer and keep her. I expect them to do just that.

Last edited by bullsky on 02/27/08 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
cherrystreet

PostPosted: 02/25/08 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's funny because I was just thinking this weekend that I might could deal with the Comets. I am still hoping they can sign Swoopes but I was mostly thinking how they needed to shore up their backcourt and Canty or Perkins came to mind. I thought they might go after Canty but I would really like to have Jia on this team.

CB

PostPosted: 02/25/08 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That isn't at Player Movement Central yet Krush. What do you think the Sky are willing to pay to keep her?

http://www.wnba.com/news/playermovementcentral08.html

Lib Fan

PostPosted: 02/25/08 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:
That isn't at Player Movement Central yet Krush. What do you think the Sky are willing to pay to keep her?

I think the Sky will match

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 02/25/08 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^Just to be different, I think they wont.. Wink

PostPosted: 02/25/08 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This would be a big sign for the Comets.

I think she would like to play for the Comets since she played at Texas Tech.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/25/08 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:

I'm not O][K, but 'practically anything' would be my answer. Dales looks like she might well be gone, so they can't afford to lose Perkins as well. Canty/Perkins/Price looks like it might be the 1/2/3 for Chicago for most of the season this year (with very little behind them).

comet_fan_97

PostPosted: 02/25/08 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Price being at Chicago, that automatically makes them my 2nd favoritest team....however, I'd love to have Jia in Houston. Man....that would ease my mind quite a bit. It may also help in the Swoopes/Thompson decisions - who knows. I'd think it'd be nice to have a floor general that you know could get you the ball versus having to create your own shots all the time. This is not to say that what we have couldn't be developed into something better, but the business side of the the game is winning NOW.....Just a thought.

PostPosted: 02/25/08 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
CB wrote:

I'm not O][K, but 'practically anything' would be my answer. Dales looks like she might well be gone, so they can't afford to lose Perkins as well. Canty/Perkins/Price looks like it might be the 1/2/3 for Chicago for most of the season this year (with very little behind them).

You believe Dupree is the 4th option? Shocked Are do you mean their positions? Poor Canty stuck playing point guard? Sheesh.

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/25/08 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sky will not give up Perkins. Not only is she a threat at the shooting guard, but can easily back up Canty at the point. Last year Dom suffered and injury and Perkins replaced her brilliantly. I'd be shocked if we lose her. Houston may be able to work out a trade, but they won't get her for free.

PostPosted: 02/25/08 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a question that has been bugging me for a while:

If a player is a restricted free agent and another team makes them an offer, do they have to stay with their original team if the offer is matched?

gownbago

PostPosted: 02/25/08 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

do they have to stay with that team? Yes - however, numerous of players have signed with that team with agreement of sign and trade.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/25/08 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
CB wrote:

You believe Dupree is the 4th option? Shocked Are do you mean their positions? Poor Canty stuck playing point guard? Sheesh.

I meant position. Who's playing where in that backcourt is anyone's guess (I was never sure who the 'point-guard' was in Chicago through the whole of last season). The frontcourt rotation would be Dupree/Melvin/Fowles covering the 4/5 between them (and probably a few minutes going big with all three on the floor). Unless they're paying idiotic money to Christensen and/or Wyckoff they shouldn't have any cap issues, so they will probably match any offer to Perkins.

FS02 wrote:
I have a question that has been bugging me for a while:

If a player is a restricted free agent and another team makes them an offer, do they have to stay with their original team if the offer is matched?

Yes. She's signing a contract which is either with the team she signed it with, or with the team who retain her RFA rights. If they match then they assume the exact same contract at the exact same numbers, clauses, years etc. Also, the team that offered the offer sheet isn't allowed to sign (or trade for) that player for at least a year, I believe.

CB

PostPosted: 02/25/08 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
CB wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
CB wrote:

I meant position. Who's playing where in that backcourt is anyone's guess (I was never sure who the 'point-guard' was in Chicago through the whole of last season). The frontcourt rotation would be Dupree/Melvin/Fowles covering the 4/5 between them (and probably a few minutes going big with all three on the floor). Unless they're paying idiotic money to Christensen and/or Wyckoff they shouldn't have any cap issues, so they will probably match any offer to Perkins.

I'm going to like the Sky again this year, even moreso, if it works out like that, or even if not lol. Cool

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/25/08 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As Richyyy said Chicago cannot afford to lose Perkins. It's indisputable that they need her and that she is too valuable to let go for nothing.

comet_fan_97

PostPosted: 02/27/08 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm ready for the decision.....

PostPosted: 02/27/08 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

comet_fan_97 wrote:
I'm ready for the decision.....

...here it is:
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3598113

Quote:
"We are thrilled that she will remain in the lineup," said Overton. "In her two seasons with the Sky, she has emerged as a team leader on and off the court, and we look forward to the ways her game will develop in the years ahead."

"I'm excited to stay in Chicago," said Perkins. "It's been my home for the past two seasons and I look forward to spending the next few years with Sky teammates, staff, and fans. And I want to continue to help build a great team and bring a WNBA Championship to Chicago."

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/27/08 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome back, Jia! Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/28/08 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boooooo!

I wanted her in Houston.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: