RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nancy on the Shock at No. 4 and 40-story Charles Barkleys
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hirsh.com

PostPosted: 02/26/08 10:56 am    ::: Nancy on the Shock at No. 4 and 40-story Charles Barkleys Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I was a LITTLE nervous when I got downtown and saw the 40-story ad of Charles Barkley on the side of a hotel talking to Dwyane Wade on his cell phone.

http://www.wnba.com/voices/asknancy_080226.html

gopher5

PostPosted: 02/26/08 11:07 am    ::: Re: Nancy on the Shock at No. 4 and 40-story Charles Barkley Reply Reply with quote

This was pretty funny to read:

Quote:
Who do you see as being the best non-rookie newcomer to the WNBA in 2008? A foreign player? A formerly drafted player who will finally make a team and make a difference?
-Tony, Albuquerque

Well, Sandrine Gruda could come to Connecticut and play a solid role this season, but I've got a sleeper for you.

Her name is Jelena Skerovic, she's from Montenegro and she's playing at Wisla Can Pack in Poland this winter. She's the one who Elaine Powell belted a few years back. She's up-tempo, she's only 27 and I think she could add a lot to whoever signs her.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 02/26/08 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wiggins, Hornbuckle, or Zoll at no. 4. Hmm..

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 02/26/08 11:27 am    ::: Re: Nancy on the Shock at No. 4 and 40-story Charles Barkley Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:

Quote:
Who do you see as being the best non-rookie newcomer to the WNBA in 2008? A foreign player? A formerly drafted player who will finally make a team and make a difference?
-Tony, Albuquerque

Well, Sandrine Gruda could come to Connecticut and play a solid role this season, but I've got a sleeper for you.

Her name is Jelena Skerovic, she's from Montenegro and she's playing at Wisla Can Pack in Poland this winter. She's the one who Elaine Powell belted a few years back. She's up-tempo, she's only 27 and I think she could add a lot to whoever signs her.

I would love to see Jelena Skerovic make a training camp. Players could start a block pool on how many games before Jelena pisses someone else off enough to get her ass kicked.

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/26/08 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Rookie of the Year is going to be Sylvia Fowles.

Whoa. When did Nancy start making sense? Razz

PostPosted: 02/26/08 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
Quote:
Rookie of the Year is going to be Sylvia Fowles.

Whoa. When did Nancy start making sense? Razz

She probably only said that because they're still not allowed to mention Parker on WNBA.com. I still think Parker's the favourite for ROY - the hype instantly gives her a lead, regardless of how you think the two will perform.

gpark33

PostPosted: 02/26/08 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
She probably only said that because they're still not allowed to mention Parker on WNBA.com. I still think Parker's the favourite for ROY - the hype instantly gives her a lead, regardless of how you think the two will perform.

They still can't even thought it's official?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/26/08 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

They still can't even thought it's official?

I was only guessing, based on the rule being so ridiculous that it might extend until she 'officially' renounced her remaining eligibility (which she obviously can't completely do until Tennessee's season is over, which might be the day before the draft).

However, checking their draft release page here - http://www.wnba.com/news/draft_release_080225.html - it actually has the first mention of Parker I've seen on their site:
Quote:
Tennessee forward Candace Parker, who is on track to graduate this year, has announced her intention to renounce her fifth year of NCAA eligibility and make herself eligible for the 2008 WNBA Draft.

So maybe it had nothing to do with the site's rules and was just Nancy saying something I disagree with. It wouldn't be the first time. Or the 100th.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/26/08 1:32 pm    ::: Re: Nancy on the Shock at No. 4 and 40-story Charles Barkley Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
gopher5 wrote:

Quote:
-Tony, Albuquerque

I would love to see Jelena Skerovic make a training camp. Players could start a block pool on how many games before Jelena pisses someone else off enough to get her ass kicked.

Well, now that she knows what to expect, maybe Jelena will belt someone back. I guess that's why Nancy thinks she's WNBA-ready. Wink

PostPosted: 02/26/08 1:41 pm    ::: Re: Nancy on the Shock at No. 4 and 40-story Charles Barkley Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:
gopher5 wrote:

Quote:
-Tony, Albuquerque

Well, now that she knows what to expect, maybe Jelena will belt someone back. I guess that's why Nancy thinks she's WNBA-ready. Wink

Wouldn't it be funny if she wound up w/ the Shock? I'd like to see Bill manage that situation!

Chances of that happening are as likely as PP not throwing an elbow in 2008, though.

PostPosted: 02/26/08 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Wiggins, Hornbuckle, or Zoll at no. 4. Hmm..

She meant Wiggins at #4 with Hornbuckle as an outside possibility; Ajavon or Zoll at #11 if the Shock can't get Wiggins. Of those four, I think Hornbuckle and Ajavon are the better fits for Detroit because they're the more physical guards.

Mathies to LA 2013
pilight

PostPosted: 02/26/08 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Wiggins is off the board, the Shock won't take a guard at #4.

PostPosted: 02/26/08 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

And they shouldn't, since the best player available at the #4 pick will be a post (at this point, it's looking like Larkins). Teams with lottery picks shouldn't draft based on need.

Mathies to LA 2013
pilight

PostPosted: 02/26/08 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
pilight wrote:

And they shouldn't, since the best player available at the #4 pick will be a post (at this point, it's looking like Larkins). Teams with lottery picks shouldn't draft based on need.

I would not be surprised to see the Shock trade back down if Wiggins is gone. I would be surprised to see them take Larkins or Humphrey or Langhorne at #4.

PostPosted: 02/26/08 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I would not be surprised to see the Shock trade back down if Wiggins is gone. I would be surprised to see them take Larkins or Humphrey or Langhorne at #4.

When I saw your initial post about it I shuddered thinking if Wiggins is gone and THEN the Liberty trade the 2 picks for #4, I will be very upset. I'm now rethinking my initial suggestion for the Lib to trade the picks. They should only do it if they can get #3 to ensure Wiggins. Otherwise, I don't see the stock between 4 and 7 if Wiggins is gone dropping off that much if most teams are going to be taking post players.

If Minny pretty much JUST needs post players, they should totally trade #3 for the 2 Lib picks.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/26/08 3:23 pm    ::: Re: Nancy on the Shock at No. 4 and 40-story Charles Barkley Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Her name is Jelena Skerovic, she's from Montenegro and she's playing at Wisla Can Pack in Poland this winter.

She's the one who Elaine Powell belted a few years back. She's up-tempo, she's only 27 and I think she could add a lot to whoever signs her.

SuziQ wrote:
Wouldn't it be funny if she wound up w/ the Shock? I'd like to see Bill manage that situation!...

Let's see if Elaine Powell and Jelena get lockers right next to each other. Or if they share the same hotel room while on the road! Imagine what the tension would be like!

gopher5

PostPosted: 02/26/08 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:

If Minny pretty much JUST needs post players, they should totally trade #3 for the 2 Lib picks.

Minny does not just need post players. They have more to work with on the perimeter but are not set.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/26/08 3:24 pm    ::: Re: Nancy on the Shock at No. 4 and 40-story Charles Barkley Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Her name is Jelena Skerovic, she's from Montenegro and she's playing at Wisla Can Pack in Poland this winter.

She's the one who Elaine Powell belted a few years back. She's up-tempo, she's only 27 and I think she could add a lot to whoever signs her.

SuziQ wrote:
Wouldn't it be funny if she wound up w/ the Shock? I'd like to see Bill manage that situation!...

Let's see if Elaine Powell and Jelena get lockers right next to each other. Or if they share the same hotel room while on the road! Imagine what the tension would be like!

That would be like Latasha Byears and Michelle Marciniak in the same room! Or in "The Jerry Springer Show"! Razz

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/26/08 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I can't see them bothering to trade down when they've already got other picks at #11 and #18. I could certainly see them trading out from the #4 if someone came up with a decent offer though. Having added LaToya Thomas and potentially having to pay Pierson more they may still have cap issues though (despite dumping Cash), which could make taking on another veteran salary rather than a rookie complicated.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/26/08 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could see the Shock moving down to 7 or 8. SFO wants Wiggins, but if she's gone he'll try to fall back and take Harper. She's his kind of player, but #4 is probably too high for her. If he does get Wiggins, he's probably looking for Anosike at #11. The real scary proposition would be the Sky deciding that #4 and #11 is worth #2. Chicago might be tempted, they have many holes to fill, and the one big piece is more useful to Detroit than the two smaller ones.

PostPosted: 02/26/08 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Sky are going to be much more interested in claiming their outright star than filling with little pieces.

The #4 and #11 combined couldn't do anything close to what Sylvia Fowles will do for that squad. Fowles will give them a cornerstone and a foundation upon which to build a franchise.

PostPosted: 02/26/08 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I happen to think Hornbuckle is a better fit for Detroit than Wiggins.

The question is can he get something from the teams right below him in the 5-8 range.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/26/08 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I could see the Shock moving down to 7 or 8. SFO wants Wiggins, but if she's gone he'll try to fall back and take Harper. She's his kind of player, but #4 is probably too high for her. If he does get Wiggins, he's probably looking for Anosike at #11. The real scary proposition would be the Sky deciding that #4 and #11 is worth #2. Chicago might be tempted, they have many holes to fill, and the one big piece is more useful to Detroit than the two smaller ones.

I don't think Chicago are crazy enough to do that. One of the main holes is center anyway, and they fill that for the next decade by drafting Fowles.

The problem with trading down to 7 or 8 is he'd have to find someone who wanted the pick and had something decent to trade him. What are Atlanta or New York going to give SFO that he'd want while trading down? Haynie? Battle? One of Atlanta's many theoretical foreign posts? He doesn't need more picks this year considering they've already got 11 and 18, and I doubt anyone's giving up next year's first-rounder to jump 4 spots.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/26/08 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
What are Atlanta or New York going to give SFO that he'd want while trading down?

Davenport? That would free him to take Hornbuckle.

PostPosted: 02/26/08 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
What are Atlanta or New York going to give SFO that he'd want while trading down?

Davenport? That would free him to take Hornbuckle.

Doubt they'd think Davenport is worth it to jump 3 spots, unless Wiggins is still available. They need guards or perimeter players anyway unless they've fallen in love with one of the many bigs that have been mentioned as early picks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: