RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lynx will start 12th season with new options.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 02/27/08 3:59 pm    ::: Lynx will start 12th season with new options. Reply Reply with quote

http://www.spokesman-recorder.com/news/Article/Article.asp?sID=42&NewsID=86432

Quote:
With the number-three overall pick this spring, Zierden points out that the team has some viable options at their disposal, including using the pick in a trade. “It gives us that third pick to dangle out there for that [much needed] post player,” Zierden admits. “We’re not done yet.”

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/27/08 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I keep saying...Harding and #3 for Snow and #5.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 02/27/08 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

And all the angels in heaven AGREE!!! That would be heaven sent.

Cam, you da man...I just hope that Karleen is in sync.

PostPosted: 02/27/08 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

I've kept thinking that recently as well. But then I think Houston would say Harding + 3 for Snow + 5, while Minnesota would say Harding's considerably younger and Snow played like crap last season, so Harding for Snow straight up and forget the picks.

Then I remember that I don't really like either player all that much and start wondering about other trades entirely Smile.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/27/08 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

That makes sense. OTOH, the difference between #3 and #5 is probably less than the difference between an All Star center and a rookie PG coming off of a knee injury.

PostPosted: 02/27/08 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If that is the case, I would like to see Houston take Wiggins with the #2 and I would like to see Minnesota take one of Larkins, Harper, or Hornbuckle at the 5.

In Minnesota's case, selecting Hornbuckle would be a way to round-out their perimeter contingent and probably allow them to focus solely on the post for the next couple seasons. A backcourt of Quinn, Hornbuckle, Jacobs, DeForge, Murphy, and Augustus is definitely well-rounded.

Svetlana may not re-sign with the Lynx, but as UFA, she may be the type of player that could be a great pickup for a team looking to make a playoff push after the Olympic Break or a team that needs to patch up holes because of injury. Chicago and Connecticut come to mind as teams that may need some help on the wing.

Still, I think I would lean towards Minnesota taking a post with the 5 if this deal were made. DeForge, Quinn, Murphy, and Augustus could chew up the majority of the backcourt minutes and the Lynx could still be looking for stability down low even with the addition of Snow.

PostPosted: 02/27/08 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

That makes sense. OTOH, the difference between #3 and #5 is probably less than the difference between an All Star center and a rookie PG coming off of a knee injury.

Yeah I agree with that...

What about Harding and #3 for Snow and 2nd Round Pick?

PostPosted: 02/27/08 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UTexRulz23 wrote:

If I'm Minny, I would not even consider that. They can likely pick up more of what they need with #3 and keep Harding. Houston seems a little like the more desperate club here (IMO), so I think they trade would have to favor Minny a little more.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/27/08 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

I saw Harding play in January (she, Alison Bales, and three male practice players were going against Duke's starting in five). Her quickness and ability to take players off the dribble was still there. The form on the shot was a bit off when I saw her, but the speed and quickness showed no signs of lingering effects from the injury.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/27/08 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:

If I'm Minny, I would not even consider that. They can likely pick up more of what they need with #3 and keep Harding. Houston seems a little like the more desperate club here (IMO), so I think they trade would have to favor Minny a little more.

If the Lynx won't consider that, then they deserve theie perennial misery. Snow > Harding by a wide margin.

PostPosted: 02/27/08 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
If the Lynx won't consider that, then they deserve theie perennial misery. Snow > Harding by a wide margin.

I don't know if I agree with how wide your margin is but I definitely don't think the wideness of that margin is the #3.

kage

PostPosted: 02/27/08 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I don't know if I agree with how wide your margin is but I definitely don't think the wideness of that margin is the #3.

X_______________________

I like Harding, but it's true we need a post... And apparently, Harding doesn't mind playing in Houston. Maybe Harding and a 2nd round pick for Snow. Not a first round. Or, like Cam suggested, Harding and 3 for Snow and 5.
cherrystreet

PostPosted: 02/27/08 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn't Snow just cored and given max moneys? I don't think Snow(and I even really hated how timid she played last season) + the five is fair for Harding and the three. I agree with pilight and whomever else said, Snow should be enough for Harding and 2nd round pick. The Lynx should take that deal.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/27/08 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
gpark33 wrote:
UTexRulz23 wrote:

I think you overstate the gap, and I think it's smaller simply because of the age-gap and the greater 'potential' that remains with Harding. Snow's been in the league 6 years, and had every chance to develop further. Last year, arguably, she actually regressed even further. Chances are that what you see is what you're going to get from Snow at this point. Harding's only had half a season at this level and still has a chance to get considerably better once she gets used to it and (hopefully) develops.

The other difference that reduces that supposed gap is the price - Harding is locked into her rookie deal for another three years, while you'll be paying Snow the max this season and at least a couple more. That reduces cap and roster flexibility as well as just being flat-out more costly.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 02/27/08 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember that Minny is the only team that Snow played well against...a monster in a couple of games...so that could be skewing their perception.

I still make that trade, and hope KT knows what to do with that high a draft pick.

PostPosted: 02/27/08 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
gpark33 wrote:
pilight wrote:

X_______________________

I like Harding, but it's true we need a post... And apparently, Harding doesn't mind playing in Houston. Maybe Harding and a 2nd round pick for Snow. Not a first round. Or, like Cam suggested, Harding and 3 for Snow and 5.

I would prefer to keep Harding, but if we have to trade, how about Harding and second choice for Snow and their #5 pick?

pilight

PostPosted: 02/27/08 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mannman wrote:
I would prefer to keep Harding, but if we have to trade, how about Harding and second choice for Snow and their #5 pick?

Because that's ridiculously slanted in Minnesota's favor.

PostPosted: 02/27/08 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

That works really well. Not only does Houston get a PG and Minny gets a C, but even the picks make more sense. Houston can still get Wiggins (to help their backcourt) and Minny can still help it's case in either the front court (Harper, Langhorne, Larkins, Pringle) or back court (Hornbuckle, Zoll).

PostPosted: 02/27/08 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mannman wrote:

Because that's ridiculously slanted in Minnesota's favor.

Well, I think that Harding and the #3 pick for Snow and the #5 is ridiculously slanted in Houston's favor. I definitely would not do that trade.

gpark33

PostPosted: 02/27/08 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orange][Krush wrote:
That works really well. Not only does Houston get a PG and Minny gets a C, but even the picks make more sense. Houston can still get Wiggins (to help their backcourt) and Minny can still help it's case in either the front court (Harper, Langhorne, Larkins, Pringle) or back court (Hornbuckle, Zoll).

I realize I am taking a big gamble by saying this when neither have done anything in the WNBA yet, BUT...

I'm not sure I would want to be the GM 5 years from now who was remembered for put Harding and Wiggins on the court together for a conference foe. I just can't imagine in a few years anyone will think the combo of Snow and any of the players you mentioned are comprable to the Harding/Wiggins combo.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/27/08 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut is strongly considering moving up in the draft, if possible. They are considering offering their two first round picks for a 2 guard and they need a 3 too. Wiggins and Hornbuckle seem to be the two Connecticutt admire most.

Also, New York has two first round picks and may be interested in a swap too for Wiggins and Hornbuckle. However, NY has better odds of one of these dropping to them than does Connecticut.

Snow plus #5 for Harding and #3 would seem to favor Minneapolis maybe because these two picks may not yield much difference. Snow certainly does have the more appropriate name for Minneapolis.........

Any takers on Mazzante and #13 pick for Snow?

cherrystreet

PostPosted: 02/27/08 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix gave Minny the first pick (Harding) for Tangela Smith only. Now are you guys saying that the Comets would have to give Snow and the fifth pick for Harding and the three? How did Harding's stock go up after the dreaded injury. I personally think Snow is greater than Smith. Even after a bad season the Comets can't let her go on the cheap.

mannman

PostPosted: 02/27/08 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
Orange][Krush wrote:

I realize I am taking a big gamble by saying this when neither have done anything in the WNBA yet, BUT...

I'm not sure I would want to be the GM 5 years from now who was remembered for put Harding and Wiggins on the court together for a conference foe. I just can't imagine in a few years anyone will think the combo of Snow and any of the players you mentioned are comprable to the Harding/Wiggins combo.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Imagine Harding, Wiggins, and Seimone at the point and two wings - sounds great to me! The article also noted that Svet would not be playing for the Lynx this year.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/27/08 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cherrystreet wrote:
How did Harding's stock go up after the dreaded injury.

Must be the 35% shooting (22% from three) with an ATO that was in the top two among Lynx rookies.

PostPosted: 02/27/08 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Definitely agree with you Cam! This would be a very good scenario for both teams.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: