RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 12/15/23 4:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skylar needs to get over it.

This was the reaction to Phoenix getting the 3rd pick.

https://twitter.com/susanlyons/status/1733968423754117255?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1733968423754117255%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 12/15/23 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

https://twitter.com/susanlyons/status/1733968423754117255?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1733968423754117255%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

What exactly is her beef with the Murk?

zune69

PostPosted: 12/15/23 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I think it's a combination of things:

* Hiring a Coach she did not want

* Being at odds with DT

* Being on the trading block

* The team not using SDS to promote the team

* Not acknowledging SDS on her Birthday

* Not letting SDS use the team facility while on maternity leave...but I read somewhere that it was against CBA rules to let a player use the team facility while on ML...Don't know how true that is.

* Etc

* Etc

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/15/23 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
zune69 wrote:

What exactly is her [current] beef with her [current team]?

A quote you can recycle every couple of years.

~rAf
shontay33

PostPosted: 12/17/23 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
zune69 wrote:

What exactly is her [current] beef with her [current team]?

A quote you can recycle every couple of years.

Exactly. So one fan just like some other people who were up in arms when the Mercury got the #1 pick were up in arms can’t retweet her opinion.You guys come on here because a player said her peace and then claim that she made a tweet about something shows that some of you all intentionally reach and spread misinformation. SDS has not tweeted anything regarding the Mercury only about her free agency and some of WCBB players that in her opinion are ready for the WNBA. If you have an issue, then have one with the fan who quoted (she has the right to her opinion) a tweet. She isn’t playing for the Mercury! Move on, and use the same advice you said she needs to do and get over it!

shontay33

PostPosted: 12/19/23 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:

I think Powers would be great here but not with DT. DT is an alpha player who has to have the ball to be effective and so does Powers. I wouldn’t want to see Powers in the same situation like she was in with Minnesota.

No team is winning anything with Powers as a starter and primary offensive option.

At this point no team is winning anything with Taurasi as a starter and primary offensive option.

1. What does Taurasi have to do with my comment?

2. Griner should be Phoenix's primary offensive option, not DT.

3. You can still win a championship with DT as the 3rd option, you can't say that about Powers.

4. If Phoenix gets a top 2 pick and signs a top 5 Free agent I think can be a top 5 team next season.

Zune,
So you would rather watch DT barely defend and get her shot off versus having Powers who is more athletic,can guard 1-3 and get her own shots off of the dribble?
The Mercury need more pieces than Powers to even beat Las Vegas!! Having Powers or a player with her skill set will at least give you the athleticism you will be lacking against most teams in the League!!

zune69

PostPosted: 12/22/23 3:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:

I think Powers would be great here but not with DT. DT is an alpha player who has to have the ball to be effective and so does Powers. I wouldn’t want to see Powers in the same situation like she was in with Minnesota.

No team is winning anything with Powers as a starter and primary offensive option.

At this point no team is winning anything with Taurasi as a starter and primary offensive option.

3. You can still win a championship with DT as the 3rd option, you can't say that about Powers.

4. If Phoenix gets a top 2 pick and signs a top 5 Free agent I think can be a top 5 team next season.

Zune,
So you would rather watch DT barely defend and get her shot off versus having Powers who is more athletic,can guard 1-3 and get her own shots off of the dribble?
The Mercury need more pieces than Powers to even beat Las Vegas!! Having Powers or a player with her skill set will at least give you the athleticism you will be lacking against most teams in the League!!

DT can still positively impact the game on offense as a 3rd option. Not just scoring the ball, but facilitating and feeding Griner...Of course, DT''s defense a trash...but if Phoenix can surround her with quality defenders and Griner is back on her game (Top 3-5 player)...the Mercury can be very competitive in 2024...My biggest issue with DT is her salary.

Powers has never impacted winning as a starter.....Her offense is inconsistent and she makes too many low-IQ decisions with the basketball....AP is at her best coming off the bench...Power is more athletic than DT, but nothing special....Powers also left her last 3 teams on bad terms...So there's the potential for locker room drama.

There are a couple of players with upside who aren't getting much playing on their current teams that Phoenix should make an attempt to acquire (Carrington, Kuier)............. I'd also throw the bag at Cloud, EDD, Nneka and Satou and see if one of them accepts the offer...........Trying to rid themselves of costly contracts to create cap space should also be a focus (Turner, Jefferson, Cunningham)

BTW- Keeping SDS would've been my top priority as the New Owner/GM.....Skylar is a top 3 pg and a very good defensive player....Players like that are hard to find.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/22/23 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DT isn’t the issue. DT being the second best player on the team is the issue.

PostPosted: 01/25/24 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
The list of game changing free agents seems pretty short

one idea I like that could be interesting would be N. Ogwumike
I know Nneka is committed to LA but if Chiney decides not to return maybe a chance to play with Griner and DT (they have played together on the National team) could have some appeal. Griner, Ogwumike, Taursi, Jefferson, a lottery pick, Cunningham, Sutton, Turner, Onyenwere that is a decent core

one idea I don't like is DT somehow convincing Stewart to jump ship in NY
I don't think it would happen but Griner and Stewart have played together overseas and there is the National team connection as well

Jonquel Jones and Breanna Jones are also both UFA

S. Sabally is a RFA but I would assume Dallas would match anything PX would put on the table

EDD? Not sure she would ever play anywhere else but Washington,

but EDD and Nneka deciding to ship hunt with DT and Griner for one season (an Olympics) and all retire (except Griner) would be pretty epic. One last hurrah from the previous greats of the last generation.

oh that would be crazy get one of the PGs in the lottery and add EDD and N. Ogwumike

Jefferson/lottery pick
DT/Sutton
EDD/Cunningham
N. Ogwumike/Onyenwere
Griner/Turner

(I wonder if they could get C. Parker to take a vet minimum?) j/k

I said this as a joke (mostly) at the end of last season but

PX has stated they are interested in trading for EDD

And as much as Wash fans might boo this I could see something like the #3 pick and and one of Cunningham or Jefferson or Turner or the 1st round pick in 25 and one (or two of) Jefferson, Cunningham or Turner for EDD (Washington would be doing it for the pick if theoretically they only cored EDD to get something in return, taking on the player for one year would just be so PX could afford to do the move, though I could see Cunningham or Turner being of some use to the Mystics or even Jefferson if Cloud doesn't return).

Also it says in the Nneka leaving LA article that PX is one of the teams she has taken a meeting with

so imagine if you will
EDD takes say 150k to have a farewell tour with DT, Griner and Nneka
Nneka signs for 1 year at 150k
Griner signs for one year at 200k
Griner and Ogwumike are both told they will get bigger money in 25 when DT and EDD retire and the other biggish contracts (who ever is left between Jefferson, Cunningham and Turner come off the books) and they will then add a third near max star to team up with Griner and Ogwumike for 25 and into the future.

Yup it is a crazy idea, I am still kind of joking
but it feels just crazy enough to happen

and don't get hung up that EDD and Ogwumike are technically both PFs they can just do a position less thing both can play oin the post or on the perimeter and Nneka will guard whoever is better on the other team at the 3/4

If PX really wants to go out as a contender in DT's last season I don't see a more realistic path, and yes I could absolutely see them mortgaging the future for the now.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 01/25/24 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/25/24 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mortgaging the future is what Phoenix does best.

Depending on who declares, I’m not sure trading that pick is a terrible idea. Griner isn’t gonna be around forever either. They don’t have time for a full scale rebuild. They gotta do something to make her last few years viable as well.

zune69

PostPosted: 01/25/24 3:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Phoenix is going to give up a 1st rd pick for EDD it should be the 2025 pk (NY can swap).........I also don't understand the fascination with playing EDD or Nneka at SF...You are putting your team at a disadvantage in multiple areas.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/25/24 3:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
If Phoenix is going to give up a 1st rd pick for EDD it should be the 2025 pk (NY can swap).........I also don't understand the fascination with playing EDD or Nneka at SF...You are putting your team at a disadvantage in multiple areas.

The idea really isn't about wanting to play Nneka or EDD at small forward

It is a way out concept in an attempt to create a super team that could compete with LV and NY and PX will have to do something out there to even get close (and I love the old guard banding together to take on the new generation of champions story line).

With that said I don't think a front court of Griner, Ogwumike and EDD will have any kind of limitations on the offensive end. They can all shoot the three, all play in the post and to varying degrees breakdown their defenders off the dribble. They will also have a height advantage at all three spots.

Yes the defensive end will be a struggle, Nneka can probably guard some SF. Last season PX had Cunningham and Onyenwere at the SF spot I would say Nneka is probably as good as a defender, and there will be plenty of minutes when one of EDD or Nneka will be off the floor and you can run a more conventional line up, and when Griner is off the floor you can go small with Nneka at the five.

So I would agree it is not ideal having two of your better players be PFs but that would be an understandable risk a team like PX would have to take when taking a big swing.

TBH I think Nneka would be better served going to Seattle but I like this out of the box idea.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/25/24 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has Griner said she's coming back to Phoenix. Or is it that we are all assuming she will choose to do that?

shontay33

PostPosted: 01/25/24 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:

Zune,

DT can still positively impact the game on offense as a 3rd option. Not just scoring the ball, but facilitating and feeding Griner...Of course, DT''s defense a trash...but if Phoenix can surround her with quality defenders and Griner is back on her game (Top 3-5 player)...the Mercury can be very competitive in 2024...My biggest issue with DT is her salary.

Powers has never impacted winning as a starter.....Her offense is inconsistent and she makes too many low-IQ decisions with the basketball....AP is at her best coming off the bench...Power is more athletic than DT, but nothing special....Powers also left her last 3 teams on bad terms...So there's the potential for locker room drama.

There are a couple of players with upside who aren't getting much playing on their current teams that Phoenix should make an attempt to acquire (Carrington, Kuier)............. I'd also throw the bag at Cloud, EDD, Nneka and Satou and see if one of them accepts the offer...........Trying to rid themselves of costly contracts to create cap space should also be a focus (Turner, Jefferson, Cunningham)

BTW- Keeping SDS would've been my top priority as the New Owner/GM.....Skylar is a top 3 pg and a very good defensive player....Players like that are hard to find.

The only way Cloud leaves is if the Mystics absolutely find a better option at her position. 2. We are assuming that Dallas wants to give up Kuier and the Sun want to give up Carrington. Mercury really don’t have anything to entice the with accept for that #3 pick(which they should use so they don’t end up without any young talent on their roster in two years.
The SDS thing is over. Both parties are moving on. Things were done incorrectly on the employer’s part. It can work out for the best for both of them.
Where is there anything about Powers being a problem in Minnesota? Some people get so upset because players speak out. She obviously cares about contributing instead of sitting the bench. Would that make you happy if she made damn there near $200K and was okay with being a healthy scratch?
Let’s look at the Defense of the team who are WNBA champions and how they pretty much defended well accepted for one game of the finals. You can’t afford any defensive lapses especially on the perimeter. The Mercury need that. That’s what was one of the biggest complaints and concerns was their defense.

zune69

PostPosted: 01/25/24 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:

The only way Cloud leaves is if the Mystics absolutely find a better option at her position. 2. We are assuming that Dallas wants to give up Kuier and the Sun want to give up Carrington. Mercury really don’t have anything to entice the with accept for that #3 pick(which they should use so they don’t end up without any young talent on their roster in two years.
The SDS thing is over. Both parties are moving on. Things were done incorrectly on the employer’s part. It can work out for the best for both of them.
Where is there anything about Powers being a problem in Minnesota? Some people get so upset because players speak out. She obviously cares about contributing instead of sitting the bench. Would that make you happy if she made damn there near $200K and was okay with being a healthy scratch?
Let’s look at the Defense of the team who are WNBA champions and how they pretty much defended well accepted for one game of the finals. You can’t afford any defensive lapses especially on the perimeter. The Mercury need that. That’s what was one of the biggest complaints and concerns was their defense.

Cloud is an unrestricted FA. The Mystics can't stop her from signing with another franchise.... Washington gave Atkins an extension but not Cloud...Both parties could not agree on a contract......One scenario I do see is Cloud agreeing to be part of a sign/trade with EDD going to Phoenix that could possibly include SDS going to Washington.

You obviously were not paying attention to the Lynx last season because there was some tension in the Lynx locker room...Powers went on Twitter after a DNP and saidand said "I look forward to them coming to see me play next season for another organization".....Why even say some crap like that before the season is over?..........And What does Powers getting paid 200k have to do with anything...Diamond Miller is younger, has more upside, and is much cheaper......Why play Powers when you can develop Diamond?....McBride/Coller are also making 200k...Minny signed Mitchell and her playing time diminished at one point, but she kept it professional.....I don't understand why some of you defend these loud-mouth athletes who want to go on social media and cry every time they don't get their way......Oh, and Power's defense does not make up for her low IQ on offense...There's not one player, Coach, or GM who would take any version of Powers over Taurasi......And every player on a championship team does not have to be a good defender...You can have one less-than-average defender if you surround them with good defenders.

Last edited by zune69 on 01/28/24 9:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Shades

PostPosted: 01/25/24 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I don't understand why some of you defend these loud-mouth athletes who want to go on social media and cry every time they don't get their way.

Are you sure you’re not talking about Diggins? That’s a perfect description.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 01/26/24 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
I don't understand why some of you defend these loud-mouth athletes who want to go on social media and cry every time they don't get their way.

Are you sure you’re not talking about Diggins? That’s a perfect description.

You're right...Skylar would fit the description more than Powers

Shades

PostPosted: 01/27/24 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saturday, January 27, 2024
Sug Sutton signed a Training Camp Contract with the Phoenix Mercury.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/28/24 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that Cloud is singing with Phoenix. Would love to see that!

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/28/24 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that Cloud is singing with Phoenix. Would love to see that!

I’m not surprised at all, especially with Beal in Phoenix too. (And hope it’s true)

She can bring EDD with her.

PostPosted: 01/28/24 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I’m not surprised at all, especially with Beal in Phoenix too. (And hope it’s true)

Yes. While I was sort of joking about the idea of Nneka and EDD teaming up with Griner and DT, Cloud and EDD teaming up with Griner and DT seems possible, and would definitely make PX relevant again.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/01/24 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merc sign Natasha Cloud

PostPosted: 02/01/24 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:

The only way Cloud leaves is if the Mystics absolutely find a better option at her position.

Don't know if Washington is going to find a better option...but Cloud is now a member of the Phoenix Mercury... allegedly.

greg5222

PostPosted: 02/01/24 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's true per Wash. Post.

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 02/01/24 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Yes. While I was sort of joking about the idea of Nneka and EDD teaming up with Griner and DT, Cloud and EDD teaming up with Griner and DT seems possible, and would definitely make PX relevant again.

Great signing for the Merc! Backcourt is set for the future. Cloud can play and defend both the one and 2 and score which is definitely what is needed.
Not sure if they can afford Neka or EDD as BG still has to sign. They have about $663,000 in cap room according to Sportack. $400,000 will probably go to Cloud and BG leaving only about $250K. So the rest of the roster will probably be filled with young players. I hope that the keep Sutton. She played well last season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: