RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sandy Brondello

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has Sandy Brondello ever coached up to the talent of her teams?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
No
63%
 63%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 19

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/25/24 2:41 pm    ::: Sandy Brondello Reply Reply with quote

Brondello has finished over .600 just 2 times in her 11 seasons as a head coach in this league: the Championship 2014 Mercury that went 29-5 and last year's Liberty. Those teams had 2 of the greatest starting 5s ever assembled; and the Liberty still managed 8 losses last year and got embarrassed in the Finals.

This year that same starting 5 has already had 2 bad losses and haven't looked good in 3/4 wins. I'm struggling to understand how such a talented team in their second year together can be struggling so much. I can't believe Vandersloot's nosedive in production is just age; the offense is just bad.

I've never been impressed by Brondello and feels like she consistently fails to coach up to the talent level of her teams. Who feels the same way?

PostPosted: 05/25/24 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She has been to the WNBA finals three times. She must know how to coach well enough to do that. The majority of coaches in WNBA history have never been to the Finals unless they bought a ticket.

Last edited by Rock Hard on 05/26/24 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 05/25/24 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only 11 coaches in league history have finished .600 or better more than twice

Most people hate poetry
mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/26/24 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
She has been to the WNBA finals three times. She must know how coach well enough to do that. The majority of coaches in WNBA history have never been to the Finals unless they bought a ticket.

But in 2 out of the 3 times, it would have been a colossal failure not to get to the finals.

PostPosted: 05/26/24 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh boy I've been thinking about this a lot. The Liberty look like a much worse team than they should be and I think the coaching is a big factor.

I can think of a bunch of coaches that if you gave them this squad I feel like they'd be way better. Obvious choices like Hammon or Reeve, but heck even Weatherspoon.

Two factors: one I really don't feel like they play to their strengths. Plays should start with or involve Jones and Stewart a LOT more. Heck, the only time yesterday where they looked good was when Stewart decided to take over for awhile.

The other is hunger, drive, intensity, whatever you want to call it, but the Liberty don't have it. Would love to see them play with a fire like Weatherspoon has lit under the Sky.

Incidentally another fav team of mine the Storm feels the exact same way. (Except they need to knock off the forced one-on-one plays and share the ball more, almost the opposite of the Liberty problem.) In both cases the coaches have had some amazing rosters that have made them look better than they are, no offense to either Brondello or Quinn who I generally like.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: