RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 06/11/22 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was early in my fandom that Carol Ross was fired from the Sparks. It seemed puzzling and it doesn't look like she's been part of the fired coach rotation since. Any insights on what happened and why that is?

PostPosted: 06/11/22 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Sparks faltered in early 2015 which led to her firing.

PostPosted: 06/12/22 3:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Man, folks back then were pretty unforgiving - or impatient!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Ross
Quote:
In 2012, her first season as a WNBA head coach, Ross pushed the Sparks to a 24–10 record and a second-place finish in the WNBA Western Conference. In the 2012 WNBA playoffs, Ross's Sparks swept the San Antonio Silver Stars in two games in the Western Conference semifinals, before losing to the Minnesota Lynx in two games in the conference finals. After the 2012 season, Ross was honored as the WNBA Coach of the Year Award. In her follow-up season in 2013, the Sparks posted an identical record of 24–10 and again finished second in the Western Conference. The Sparks lost to the Phoenix Mercury, two games to one, in the Western Conference semifinals of the 2013 WNBA playoffs.

Despite having compiled an overall winning record of 24–10 in each of her first two seasons as head coach, Ross was fired by the Sparks management in the midst of the 2014 season when the team had posted a 10–12 record (3–7 at home), with twelve games remaining.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/11240347/los-angeles-sparks-coach-carol-ross-fired
Quote:
The Los Angeles Sparks, amid a disappointing 10-12 season, have fired head coach Carol Ross, the team announced Sunday.

Sparks general manager and executive vice president Penny Toler will take over head-coaching duties for the remainder of the season...However, Toler has never coached before.

...Ross signed a multi-year contract extension last December, the terms of which were not disclosed. But then Ross and the rest of the Sparks organization went into limbo at year's end, as the Paula Madison-led group relinquished ownership of the franchise.

In February, a new ownership group led by Magic Johnson and Dodgers chairman Mark Walter bought the Sparks.

Just doesn't add up, so I wondered if something else was going on. Seems mighty odd to fill the slot with someone with ties to the team but no coaching experience. Maybe it's as simple as the new ownership team wanted to make a change. Still, it seems that someone of her pedigree would have had other coaching offers - unless she did and turned them down.

PostPosted: 07/04/22 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks sign Kianna Smith to a seven day

PostPosted: 07/04/22 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember seeing Carol Ross walking off the court to the locker room and Candace Parker was beside her and demonstrably yapping at her the whole time. Ross didn't take it as well as Nygaard did when Diggins-Smith apparently yelled at her. Ross stopped looking at Parker at some point and appeared quite uncomfortable. I figured her days were numbered at that point.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 07/06/22 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
It was early in my fandom that Carol Ross was fired from the Sparks. It seemed puzzling and it doesn't look like she's been part of the fired coach rotation since. Any insights on what happened and why that is?

Princess Parker the crybaby got her fired. I was always glad Fish didn't put up with her bullshit.

jewelsongs

PostPosted: 07/07/22 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fisher ruined our roster, got fired and the Sparks are below .500. Meanwhile CP3 won the championship last year with Chicago, and is in first place in the league this year. I am glad we are no longer putting up with Fisher's bullshit.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 07/08/22 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The bullshit I was most over was the fans that treated princess like she walked on water and never call her out on her bullshit.

llkoerner

PostPosted: 07/08/22 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amen to that

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/08/22 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well damn, y'all sure showed her! I bet she "learned" her "lesson."

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/08/22 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jewelsongs wrote:
Fisher ruined our roster, got fired and the Sparks are below .500. Meanwhile CP3 won the championship last year with Chicago, and is in first place in the league this year. I am glad we are no longer putting up with Fisher's bullshit.

THIS^^^^^^RIGHT THERE!

Candace Parker is laughing/crying into her rings! She got to play for TWO championship coaches!

~rAf
jewelsongs

PostPosted: 07/08/22 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My wife and I were long time season ticket holders, attended the first Sparks game, and have met many of the players at social functions. I was thrilled when Penny Toler played on the first team. So many of the players were nice that we met. Delisha Milton Jones, Jenna O'Hea, Penny Toler, Alana Beard, Tamicka Dixon, and so many more were really nice. I have run into "Lil Mopey" several times at resturaunts, and she was very nice. The only "princess" was Lisa Leslie. We met her several times, and each time she wouldn't give us the time of day.

CP3 was (with Delisha) by far the nicest. She engaged in meaningful conversation, asked us where our seats were, and came over before a game to say hi.

I am certain you must have reasons to not like her, but from my vantage point, she is A OK. I am happy she is having success in her home town, but wish she was still on the Sparks. We gave up our tickets after they fired Penny, my all time favorite women's basketball player.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/08/22 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sparks let Parker and Chelsea Gray walk without getting anything in return right?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/08/22 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
The Sparks let Parker and Chelsea Gray walk without getting anything in return right?

"Let" isn't really the right word. There wasn't really anything they could do. They were out of contract and there the core designation went to Nneka.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/09/22 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

"Let" isn't really the right word. There wasn't really anything they could do. They were out of contract and there the core designation went to Nneka.

Thanks. Maybe they should’ve used it on Gray, I think Nneka would’ve stuck around. Parker otoh, I’m sure she was through with D Fish and couldn’t wait to get away.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 07/24/22 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever happened to them building a statue for Lisa Leslie?

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 07/24/22 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
ChiSky54 wrote:

Princess Parker the crybaby got her fired. I was always glad Fish didn't put up with her bullshit.

Yes, Parker may have been, (or still is) a pain in the butt, at times. But, this is the organization that hired Kobe's dad as interim head coach and earlier in her career (2010?) had 3 past their prime starters over 30 years old on the floor with her. Parker put up with a lot of stunts by leadership, and never forced her way out of LA.

PostPosted: 07/25/22 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bye, Liz?
Quote:
#BREAKING: Elizabeth Cambage is departing from the LA Sparks, multiple sources tell @theballoutmedia @TheBallOutSport #WNBA #WNBATwitter #LizCambage

https://twitter.com/theballoutmedia/status/1551780741348003841

Surely not, considering how "supported and protected" she is in LA,

PostPosted: 07/26/22 5:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Bye, Liz?
Quote:
#BREAKING: Elizabeth Cambage is departing from the LA Sparks, multiple sources tell @theballoutmedia @TheBallOutSport #WNBA #WNBATwitter #LizCambage

https://twitter.com/theballoutmedia/status/1551780741348003841

Surely not, considering how "supported and protected" she is in LA,

So frustrating to imagine the potentially Hall of Fame career she could have had if she had wanted it. I'm actually bummed it didn't work out for her in LA because it could have been a good spot for her to flourish. But without a will, there's not much way.

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 07/26/22 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last night I found a YouTube video by some guy. I couldn't tell where he was coming from with the whole of his limited content, so I chose not to post it, It was the only other item addressing this at the time.

The gist (will be interesting if any of it turns out to be true):

During the fourth quarter of the most recent game, Carter got taken out of the game after multiple turnovers and a foul, and she started blaming everyone else (something she has apparently done for years) but seemed to be particularly targeting Liz. His perception was that Liz got fed up since this dynamic was not new. She also was expecting Fred to position her in LA as he had in Dallas, where she had the most success and was disappointed when that didn't happen. So Liz decided she wanted out. They guy seems to be a Chennedy stan but recognizes her shortcomings.

Cryptic summary after sleeping on it.

A shame, whatever the reason, if it's even true. He said the story would come out today. I see a few more links addressing this now, but none from standard sources.

PostPosted: 07/26/22 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing new. Different city, same Liz.

PostPosted: 07/26/22 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though I'm not much of a Liz fan; it bothers me when players don't reach their full potential because they can't get out of their own way.

OTOH though, you just never know what someone is going through. I don't know-this just feels incomplete to me.

Last edited by ucbart on 07/26/22 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 07/26/22 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, like they say, it’s a copycat league.. maybe Cambage wants to do what Tina Charles did.. Confused Idea

And I thought things were trending up after Fisher… On the bright side, the Chiney-Nneka combo has been looking good Twisted Evil

pilight

PostPosted: 07/26/22 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Liz Cambage even like playing basketball?

PostPosted: 07/26/22 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Well, like they say, it’s a copycat league.. maybe Cambage wants to do what Tina Charles did.. Confused Idea

And I thought things were trending up after Fisher… On the bright side, the Chiney-Nneka combo has been looking good Twisted Evil

Is there really any championship contending team that would take a risk on her? She's never really enjoyed playing in the W and treats it like a burden. LA was kind of a perfect landing spot for her.

Maybe she'd want to reunite with SDS in Phoenix. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: