RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2022
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BamaEd

PostPosted: 04/06/22 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad they traded with an Eastern Conference team. Western Conference does NOT need another #1 pick.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/06/22 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
So. A couple things:

—The Dream appear more set up to take NaLyssa Smith #1 overall now, but that doesn’t mean they will. They don’t have much depth of anything, they could still take Rhyne Howard if they love her more (they may!). In fact, she may represent the symbolic closure from Angel McCoughtry the new Dream front office is looking for since both players are SFs.

Why in the world would they do that? With Billings and Parker undersized Smith is not going to be that needed. On the other hand Howard would fill the need at the 3 while Hayes plays the 2. Or vice versa.

Hayes has played enough 3 as well. They also have Coffey, and Walker if she makes the cut. While they shouldn’t let who they have for this year influence their decision – especially since all of those players are currently only signed through next year (other than Walker, should the Dream choose to pick up her guaranteed option or not – though they probably shouldn’t) – they may, unfortunately.

For the record, I do think they should take Howard and figure out the rest later.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 04/06/22 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Randy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
So. A couple things:

—The Dream appear more set up to take NaLyssa Smith #1 overall now, but that doesn’t mean they will. They don’t have much depth of anything, they could still take Rhyne Howard if they love her more (they may!). In fact, she may represent the symbolic closure from Angel McCoughtry the new Dream front office is looking for since both players are SFs.

Why in the world would they do that? With Billings and Parker undersized Smith is not going to be that needed. On the other hand Howard would fill the need at the 3 while Hayes plays the 2. Or vice versa.

Hayes has played enough 3 as well. They also have Coffey, and Walker if she makes the cut. While they shouldn’t let who they have for this year influence their decision – especially since all of those players are currently only signed through next year (other than Walker, should the Dream choose to pick up her guaranteed option or not – though they probably shouldn’t) – they may, unfortunately.

For the record, I do think they should take Howard and figure out the rest later.

If Atlanta decides to not take Howard because of Coffey and Walker then they are doomed forever Laughing

PostPosted: 04/06/22 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree completely Lynxmania. Laughing

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 04/06/22 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Hayes has played enough 3 as well...

She may have played it, but she's not especially good at it. She's absolutely not good enough at it that anybody in their right mind should ever have the thought, "No need to worry about trying to take the best SF available in the draft, we've got Tiffany Hayes!"

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/06/22 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're in a glaring rebuild, set up to dump much of this roster after this year if anything better is available. You take whoever you think is the best player. Current members of the roster should be completely and utterly irrelevant.

PostPosted: 04/06/22 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The irony here is ATL drafted Tiffany Hayes from UConn in 2012 at the #14 pick, and the WNBA front office seems to believe all UConn players in this draft should be available in the second round.

Hayes could be thinking “You don’t like #14 picks?”

ATL still has the #15 pick, so not that big of a deal, I guess.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 04/12/22 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/12/22 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so who is taller?

SPD

PostPosted: 04/12/22 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream sign Que Morrison to a training camp contract

https://dream.wnba.com/news/dream-sign-georgias-que-morrison-to-training-camp-contract/?fbclid=IwAR2oZQXZOPjw32ZlcZW4pBuN-HAJNmDhSqzWssyiP2mSAssPXItDcj_-dE0

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/12/22 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
so who is taller?

Looks like pretty much a dead heat to me once you ignore hair, which in fairness is exactly how they're listed.

PostPosted: 04/14/22 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:

https://dream.wnba.com/news/dream-sign-georgias-que-morrison-to-training-camp-contract/?fbclid=IwAR2oZQXZOPjw32ZlcZW4pBuN-HAJNmDhSqzWssyiP2mSAssPXItDcj_-dE0

I think Morrison has a shot to make a team as an undrafted rookie

Wheeler/McDonald
Hayes/Walker/Morrison
Coffey/Howard
Billings/Hillmon
Ch. Parker/Vaughn

and there is even still a spot for camp invite/Waiver wire post

Que has some competition in Agnew and Wallace but I could see her winning that 12th spot not a sure thing but has a legit chance which is going to be better than most camp signings this year

ANd I would start Howard from day 1 but seems a little rough to put their biggest free agent signing (Coffey) on the bench

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/14/22 2:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:

Alright. Happy for her. Hard nose PG. Brings the D & the O

Let's see if someone finds Stati

PostPosted: 04/14/22 2:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So,

PG: Wheeler/McDonald
SG: Hayes
SF: RHoward/Coffey/Walker
PF: Billings/Hillmon
C: CheyParker/Vaughn

Let's get serious about some things:

—The obvious: This team more than anyone else will be watching that waiver wire when the time comes. And they'll be able to snatch multiple players up, should they so choose. The other Camp bodies almost certainly will be just that – for Camp.
—I still don't know what the hell Vaughn is doing here, and I hope the team expects her to actually earn a roster spot in Camp (if they don't end up cutting her anyway).
—The late-notice drafting of Rhyne Howard (and not a post player like Shakira Austin) causes Megan Walker to become much more expendable and Nia Coffey to be potentially tradeable.
    —The trade I have in mind is one we've all had in mind: Achonwa. Coffey for Achonwa + a 2023 2RP + RDavis or one of their 2023 1RPs is a move I can still see happening between now and training camp, in which the Dream is then ""forced"" to cut Vaughn in order to allow a full roster complement of 12.
    —Coffey for two of Dallas' young players is also a move that could make sense for both sides.
—The team already has two 1RPs for next year. That 2RP should become tradeable starting now (and obviously this applies to the 3RP as well).

Just because the Draft is over, doesn't mean the roster transformation has to be. PS: No, neither Coffey nor RHoward are better suited at PF, thanks for asking. Very Happy

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/14/22 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
So,

PG: Wheeler/McDonald
SG: Hayes
SF: RHoward/Coffey/Walker
PF: Billings/Hillmon
C: CheyParker/Vaughn

Let's get serious about some things:

—The obvious: This team more than anyone else will be watching that waiver wire when the time comes. And they'll be able to snatch multiple players up, should they so choose. The other Camp bodies almost certainly will be just that – for Camp.
—I still don't know what the hell Vaughn is doing here, and I hope the team expects her to actually earn a roster spot in Camp (if they don't end up cutting her anyway).
—The late-notice drafting of Rhyne Howard (and not a post player like Shakira Austin) causes Megan Walker to become much more expendable and Nia Coffey to be potentially tradeable.
    —The trade I have in mind is one we've all had in mind: Achonwa. Coffey for Achonwa + a 2023 2RP + RDavis or one of their 2023 1RPs is a move I can still see happening between now and training camp, in which the Dream is then ""forced"" to cut Vaughn in order to allow a full roster complement of 12.
    —Coffey for two of Dallas' young players is also a move that could make sense for both sides.
—The team already has two 1RPs for next year. That 2RP should become tradeable starting now (and obviously this applies to the 3RP as well).

Just because the Draft is over, doesn't mean the roster transformation has to be. PS: No, neither Coffey nor RHoward are better suited at PF, thanks for asking. Very Happy

I like the Nia Coffey idea, depending on who you are suggesting in return?🤔

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/14/22 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
I like the Nia Coffey idea, depending on who you are suggesting in return?🤔

Dungee + Someone/Something else

hoopmom

PostPosted: 04/14/22 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dan Padover has said that Nia Coffey was a good fit because she has a house here already (as does Erika Wheeler). I interpreted that to mean that was a factor in not being able to attract veterans here, but Nia and Erika wanted to come no matter how bad the team situation has been.

All that to say I think Coffey is staying.
Who else can we trade?

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/14/22 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
so who is taller?

Looks like pretty much a dead heat to me once you ignore hair, which in fairness is exactly how they're listed.

Hillmon's got 6-6 limbs and a 5-10 torso. Look at their shoulders and hips in that photo, Howard's torso looks 2 inches longer on either end.

PostPosted: 04/14/22 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hoopmom wrote:
Dan Padover has said that Nia Coffey was a good fit because she has a house here already (as does Erika Wheeler). I interpreted that to mean that was a factor in not being able to attract veterans here, but Nia and Erika wanted to come no matter how bad the team situation has been.

All that to say I think Coffey is staying.
Who else can we trade?

She probably is staying, but she’s the most realistic trade candidate – particularly if you believe it was Thibault who called up Padover to initiate the trading of the Lottery picks. If the Dream knew they’d be getting the #1 Pick, would they have still signed Coffey? Perhaps, but imo no. And now we don’t know where players like Coffey and RHoward will be getting their minutes. Yes, RHoward is talented enough to play multiple positions, but her true position is SF. You’d want her to play most of her minutes there. Coffey and Walker’s true position however is also SF. The easiest thing to do to solve the logjam would just be to cut Walker, but putting Coffey’s name out there as a trade candidate I think is worth doing to see if anyone (namely Minny or Dallas) is interested. Walker has no trade value, and no other position group on this roster has any sort of real logjam in which a trade could feasibly be explored – imo.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/14/22 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure why Minnesota would be interested in Coffey. They're already overloaded at the 3, and the main point of them making trades would be to fit in the players they can't keep already. You better believe Coffey can play a whole lot of 4 and be pretty damn good at it if you're bringing her back for Achonwa.

Also, in five years we have about half a season of Coffey being any good in the WNBA. Perfectly fine flier for Atlanta, who had more cap space than they knew what to do with this year. Doesn't mean she has much trade value.

PostPosted: 04/14/22 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is a little hard figuring out Atlanta’s intentions. A team doing a full rebuild probably doesn’t trade Carter for Wheeler (unless that was beyond repair) and probably doesn’t resign Hayes and sign Coffey and Vaughn. I am not saying Atlanta is highly competitive but Hayes, Wheeler, Coffey, Ch . Parker , Billings and Now Howard has some potential. Like Indy this team becomes a lot better with Boston in 23 but they are also a team you could see getting some wins and competing on most nights

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/14/22 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
It is a little hard figuring out Atlanta’s intentions. A team doing a full rebuild probably doesn’t trade Carter for Wheeler (unless that was beyond repair) and probably doesn’t resign Hayes and sign Coffey and Vaughn. I am not saying Atlanta is highly competitive but Hayes, Wheeler, Coffey, Ch . Parker , Billings and Now Howard has some potential. Like Indy this team becomes a lot better with Boston in 23 but they are also a team you could see getting some wins and competing on most nights

I think it's a full tear-down while trying not to be unwatchably bad. Everyone they acquired or re-signed this year is on a one-year deal, apart from Megan Walker (who'll become a one-year if they decline her option) and Kristy Wallace (who's on a rookie-scale deal). They're set up to suck enough for a decent shot at Boston (or whomever) and then chase anyone and everyone in free agency next year.

They signed some people because you've gotta put a team on the floor, and hopefully sell a couple of tickets along the way.

PostPosted: 04/14/22 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Not sure why Minnesota would be interested in Coffey. They're already overloaded at the 3, and the main point of them making trades would be to fit in the players they can't keep already. You better believe Coffey can play a whole lot of 4 and be pretty damn good at it if you're bringing her back for Achonwa.

Also, in five years we have about half a season of Coffey being any good in the WNBA. Perfectly fine flier for Atlanta, who had more cap space than they knew what to do with this year. Doesn't mean she has much trade value.

Again, Coffey & RHoward are both SFs. Coffey isn’t gonna be a long-term fit for this team with RHoward around, so why not get rid of her now? The Minny trade idea helps Minny get rid of Achonwa, if that’s what they still want – though it probably isn’t at this point, I admit. Really more of a just-in-case-they-still-do kind of thing. A Coffey-Achonwa deal may not be the greatest fit, but what about a Vaughn-Achonwa dump deal? And Vaughn is even cuttable if she doesn’t pan out. Though I think that would likely prevent Atlanta from carrying 12, and they of all teams need to be carrying 12…

The Dallas idea is mostly if the Wings simply want another vet presence, as positionally that’s a bit of a funky fit as well. The Wings also still had enough cap space to take her on and still afford a roster of 12.

Otherwise, all three teams sort of have roster situations that still seem a bit unresolved/unfinished… a trade may not resolve a situation completely, but imo it would garner a net positive between both participating teams and resolve things a little more.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/14/22 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hayes likes it in Atlanta and the fanbase loves her. Also her presence could be enticing to free agents who don't want to play on a team filled with unknowns.

Carter wanted out. The team got what they could for her.

It's also worth considering that young players need some veterans around to help with their development.

PostPosted: 04/14/22 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with all those points

I guess I am just saying I am not sure this team is as bad as people think or maybe that it needs to be. I mean it might be, but I could see it surprising some people and some teams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: