RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Non-USA Basketball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/02/21 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Opals need to win by 25+ to stay alive in the tournament
Just tipped off
https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/basketball/results-women-gpc-000600-.htm

Opals lose the first quarter 22-24
🤦‍♂️

PostPosted: 08/02/21 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PR gaining hope with every possession. As are the Canadians.

PostPosted: 08/02/21 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PR ties it at 37-37, and even our broadcast network has tired of this garbage, cutting over to the equestrian venue instead Laughing

PostPosted: 08/02/21 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen Steph Talbot play today, so I assume she's not walking through that door.

PostPosted: 08/02/21 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
PR ties it at 37-37, and even our broadcast network has tired of this garbage, cutting over to the equestrian venue instead Laughing

My question is: In equestrian - who wears the gold at the end - the rider or the horse?

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 08/02/21 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Australia up by 16 at the end of three, and must win the final quarter by 9 to make the quarterfinals.

PostPosted: 08/02/21 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Canada for advancing. Opals need to go on a 20-0 run in the 2nd half now to advance. How disappointing.

Seeded
China
USA
Spain
Belgium

Unseeded
Japan
Serbia
France
Canada

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Linzin

PostPosted: 08/02/21 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals up 79-59 with 6 minutes to go...

PostPosted: 08/02/21 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals now up by 19 with about 7 minutes left.

PostPosted: 08/02/21 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

93-69 with 1:24 to go...

PostPosted: 08/02/21 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I spent 30 seconds just shouting shoot the goddamn ball and then Cayla George hits the most unlikely-looking fadeaway jumper holy shit. Missed the ft but Australia up 95-69.

#NATC

PostPosted: 08/02/21 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man ... we made hard work of that,

PostPosted: 08/02/21 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The announcer on the NBC stream was spectacularly unaware that Australia had to win by 25 to qualify. Up by 24, she was expecting them to run clock.

PostPosted: 08/02/21 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals pulled it off and win by 27!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/02/21 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

See you in the quarter final, USA

yikes

PostPosted: 08/02/21 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
See you in the quarter final, USA

yikes

Well, you beat us without Cambage last time; that can totally happen again.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/02/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/FIBA/status/1422206254487851009

PostPosted: 08/02/21 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does FIBA's draw process work? I thought that each of the top 4 seeds picked which of the bottom four seeds they wanted to play. But the link Luuuc provided seems to allow for a random draw, excepting only that teams from the same group could not meet in the quarters. Either way, is points differential used to seed the teams? If so, that would put China as #1 (+56); US #2 (+37) and Spain #3 (+29).

PostPosted: 08/02/21 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seeding only in that they create a top-four - three group winners plus best second-placed team (first on record, then points-difference) - and a bottom four. Then it's an open draw of one pot against the other, with the caveat that you can't face someone from your own group. So it was 50/50 for the US between Serbia and Australia in the quarters.

I don't think any sport has gone to the "let seeded teams pick who they want to play from the unseeded ones" yet, have they?

PostPosted: 08/02/21 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Seeding only in that they create a top-four - three group winners plus best second-placed team (first on record, then points-difference) - and a bottom four. Then it's an open draw of one pot against the other, with the caveat that you can't face someone from your own group. So it was 50/50 for the US between Serbia and Australia in the quarters.

I don't think any sport has gone to the "let seeded teams pick who they want to play from the unseeded ones" yet, have they?

During the nbcolympics.com broadcast of the USA/France women's game, the commentators definitely said that the top ranked team from pool play would get to choose which of the bottom 4 it wanted to play. Then the second ranked team could choose from the remaining three bottom teams. And so on, all so that teams wouldn't be incentivized to throw a game in order to try to manipulate the matchups in the knockout round. I guess the commentators just got it wrong.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/02/21 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah, okay. No, I have seen nothing in FIBA's rules or the various pieces from their website indicating that they do anything like that. It's an interesting idea. The problem with all this stuff is that the groups aren't even, so comparing across them and using that for ranking is never particularly fair. Belgium basically ended up the best second-placed team because Puerto Rico were in their group, and that gave everyone in that group someone to destroy and boost their point-difference. You'd increase that impact even more if you ranked the teams and let them pick opponents.

This is why FIBA used to create two 6-team groups for a 12-team format - it lets you avoid this awkward nonsense. The top-four from each just goes through.

PostPosted: 08/02/21 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they meant top Seeded teams do a lottery to pick and see who they will Play from the bottom for versus choosing who they will
Play outright but I could be wrong tbh.

PostPosted: 08/02/21 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Belgium also was not allowed to draw France or Australia since they were the one second-place seeded team.

The G League tried out the let teams pick method and some other American sports have at least brought it up. I think different teams had different strategies with either picking a weaker team or picking the closer team to reduce travel.

Richyyy wrote:
Ah, okay. No, I have seen nothing in FIBA's rules or the various pieces from their website indicating that they do anything like that. It's an interesting idea. The problem with all this stuff is that the groups aren't even, so comparing across them and using that for ranking is never particularly fair. Belgium basically ended up the best second-placed team because Puerto Rico were in their group, and that gave everyone in that group someone to destroy and boost their point-difference. You'd increase that impact even more if you ranked the teams and let them pick opponents.

This is why FIBA used to create two 6-team groups for a 12-team format - it lets you avoid this awkward nonsense. The top-four from each just goes through.

FIBA would have preferred expansion to 16 with 4 groups, but with no expansion and only getting a single court, they had to reduce the number of games and I guess this is about the best that they could do. Part of the reason for a draw instead of some other bracketing method is that there is reduced incentive for a team to lose on purpose to manipulate their placement.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/03/21 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Part of the reason for a draw instead of some other bracketing method is that there is reduced incentive for a team to lose on purpose to manipulate their placement.

Yeah, that part makes sense, and is something I like. In the recent soccer Euros, where we had a similar "some third-placed teams go through, some don't" system, there was an established bracket rather than a draw. And we were definitely having those "do they actually want to win the group?" discussions heading into the final group games. With this two-pot, mostly-open draw system it's very rare that you wouldn't want to be in the seeded group.

They do need to broadcast the draws somewhere, though. We need as much transparency as possible, not just a random tweet telling us they've done the draw and here are the matchups. We have no reason to trust that FIBA can do this stuff honestly and successfully.

PostPosted: 08/03/21 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

35-33 Serbia over China at the half in quarterfinal #1. Good matchup between the experience of Serbia vs. talented young China. Serbia has had trouble matching up with China's 6'7 and 6'9" centers, but China's 3-point shooting has not been as sharp as it was in group play.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: