RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Women's 3 X 3 schedule
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadaball

PostPosted: 07/28/21 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look, in the WNBA, Jackie Young is the more significant player than Katie Lou; however 3x3 is different. Analytics in "regular" bball has swung heavily in favor of 3's over 2's. Imagine what they say in 3x3 where the outside arc shots are worth twice as much as closer baskets. Jackie Young, unlike KL, is no threat from outside. Yes, she joined the team at the last minute, but I think that also had an advantage. Opponents were not familiar with her game. As the competition has progressed, u can see teams laying off her. With a 12 second clock, watch the frequent situation with the clock down to 3-4 seconds. If Jackie is outside, teams are just ignoring her. It is no accident that USA games have gotten tougher.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/28/21 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Team USA won! It was hard fought but now they are on to the gold medal match at 8:55AM EST!! Now, lets see if I can go back to sleep.... Crying or Very sad Laughing

Happy Hump Day, folks! Go Team USA!

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/28/21 4:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Team USA won! It was hard fought but now they are on to the gold medal match at 8:55AM EST!! Now, lets see if I can go back to sleep.... Crying or Very sad Laughing

Dang. Had the TV on the right channel, but the TV was watching me and I slept through the game. Watching Rugby Sevens and hoping to watch the Bronze and Gold Medal games.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/28/21 4:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

Dang. Had the TV on the right channel, but the TV was watching me and I slept through the game. Watching Rugby Sevens and hoping to watch the Bronze and Gold Medal games.

Well, I caught the little bit they showed (after showing multiple interviews following Rugby Sevens) of the ROC pulling off the victory in the last minute. Now they are showing a full MENS 3 x 3 game.

~rAf
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/28/21 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

Well, I caught the little bit they showed (after showing multiple interviews following Rugby Sevens) of the ROC pulling off the victory in the last minute. Now they are showing a full MENS 3 x 3 game.

My body woke me up just in time for the game and I decided just to start working early. Now I'm paying for it, because I'm tirrreed! Laughing Btw, during the game, they mentioned the Jackie was on vacation when she was called up! Glad that she was ready to go!

On what station were y'all watching the 3X3 game? I have youtube TV and it looks like they are only doing the rebroadcast at 8PM Confused

Bronze medal game is starting now!

ucbart

PostPosted: 07/28/21 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow-Arike would be so great in 3x3

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/28/21 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jeopardy question: Who won the first women's 3X3 in the Olympics? USA!!!! Dolson, Plum, Gray AND Young (KLS honorable mention) and Coach KLaw ! I'm so proud of them and happy for them!!!!!

Btw, Steph got called for an offensive foul for an elbow to the head similar to a play in one of the earlier games!! Of course, she couldn't believe it! Laughing

Last edited by WfanFrJmp on 07/28/21 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/28/21 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game was on USA network good watch ROC was making some tough shots ! USA with the gold !!

PostPosted: 07/28/21 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotcha, so glad that it was on TV!

Ok so, outside of the US winning gold, the best part of 3X3 tourney was watching the Latvian player try to tape himself up twice (while the trainer watched Laughing ). He definitely is the heart and soul of that team! Awesome win for the Latvian men!

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/28/21 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

congrats to 'our girls'. I'm glad it was good competition too. Also I noticed in the last two games they only made one long ball so either they were just getting tired or the defense was much better.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/28/21 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 3x3 tournament seemed very popular. I wonder if the BIG3 League would consider a women's league soon?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
IM in OC

PostPosted: 07/28/21 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
congrats to 'our girls'. I'm glad it was good competition too. Also I noticed in the last two games they only made one long ball so either they were just getting tired or the defense was much better.

2 point shots in 3x3 are tougher, as most players are running or taking step backs to make the shot vs being set for a 3ptr in 5x5

Here are team stats for the 8 teams in the Olympics

If you look the team with the best outside shooting hit at 33%, the worst, the USA was at 24%

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/BK3/OG2020-_BK3_C84B_BK3WTEAM3-------------------------.pdf

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/28/21 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is an edited replay of the gold medal game:

https://www.peacocktv.com/watch/playback/clip/pck_1927195203608/b79dda6d-dde2-34d0-a8a9-f582de1c0647
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/28/21 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw an improved Jackie Young from start to finish. Yes, they abused her when Steff was out and got several easy layups over her. But her defense when ROC was making its' run was critical.

Again, SO glad she was ready, willing and able to join the team. She clearly put in a lot of work to get herself up to speed so the team could win gold. Some of that workload was shared by #CoachKara. They had to figure out how to avoid having Jackie with the ball outside while her teammates were blanketed by the defense. I'm sure they tried to figure out how to keep Jackie from getting ISO'd on defense, but really it was either her or Kelsey Plum that it could get ISO'd and Jackie did get some deflections.

~rAf
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/28/21 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
For the tournament, Plum led all scorers with 6.1 ppg., while Dolson was sixth at 5.7 ppg. and Gray was ninth at 5.3 ppg. Additionally, Gray led all competitors in blocked shots (1.0 bpg.) and tied for the lead in defensive rebounds (3.9 rpg.); Plum and Dolson were No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, in 1-point shooting percentage at 70.0% and 69.0%; while Dolson was third in defensive rebounds at 3.7.

As a team, the USA was No. 1 in six statistical categories, including points per game (19.1), defensive rebounds (12.2 rpg.) and 1-point shooting percentage (62.0%).

https://www.wnba.com/news/u-s-womens-team-wins-first-ever-3x3-gold-medal/?showFooter=false&showHeader=false&showNav&date=7-16-20&team:general
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 07/28/21 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
I saw an improved Jackie Young from start to finish. Yes, they abused her when Steff was out and got several easy layups over her. But her defense when ROC was making its' run was critical.

Again, SO glad she was ready, willing and able to join the team. She clearly put in a lot of work to get herself up to speed so the team could win gold. Some of that workload was shared by #CoachKara. They had to figure out how to avoid having Jackie with the ball outside while her teammates were blanketed by the defense. I'm sure they tried to figure out how to keep Jackie from getting ISO'd on defense, but really it was either her or Kelsey Plum that it could get ISO'd and Jackie did get some deflections.

I haven't seen this level of "excitement" from you since your days of waxing on and on re: Maria Conlon. Laughing

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/28/21 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Jeopardy question: Who won the first women's 3X3 in the Olympics? USA!!!! Dolson, Plum, Gray AND Young (KLS honorable mention) and Coach KLaw ! I'm so proud of them and happy for them!!!!!

Btw, Steph got called for an offensive foul for an elbow to the head similar to a play in one of the earlier games!! Of course, she couldn't believe it! Laughing

I'm sorry to correct you, but the answer would be "This country won the first Olympic gold medal in women's 3X3 basketball" and the question would be "What is the USA?" It is Jeopardy.

And I am happy for them too. Very Happy

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/28/21 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

watching the game on tv, 3 minutes of basketball, 10 minutes of advertising, repeat 3 times.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/28/21 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
watching the game on tv, 3 minutes of basketball, 10 minutes of advertising, repeat 3 times.

I saw it live this morning and they let them play straight through. NBC's tape delay coverage is garbage.

PostPosted: 07/28/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was in Florida when she got the call.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/07/28/olympics-basketball-jackie-young-ends-vacation-gold-medal/5400018001/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/28/21 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:

I'm sorry to correct you, but the answer would be "This country won the first Olympic gold medal in women's 3X3 basketball" and the question would be "What is the USA?" It is Jeopardy.

And I am happy for them too. Very Happy

Laughing You're right!

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/28/21 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/07/28/olympics-basketball-jackie-young-ends-vacation-gold-medal/5400018001/

pretty amazing story. I doubt she ever gets another chance like this so really really special.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/29/21 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

pretty amazing story. I doubt she ever gets another chance like this so really really special.

Indeed, it was! Here is another story on her with a bit more detail:

https://sports.yahoo.com/11-days-ago-she-was-on-vacation-now-shes-an-olympic-champ-172247358.html

This is awesome!!

Many people try to say that men's and women's bball is a totally different game, which it's not but I didn't realize how the 3X3 game would prove that to be true. The men's and women's Olympic games looked exactly the same. I believe because the half court game is often less dependent on sheer athleticism. (Is the 3X3 the great bball equalizer?)

I would even argue that 3X3 was more exciting bc of how quick everything has to happen or was it because of what was "on the line?" Confused Hmmm, I haven't figured that out yet Laughing

Someone mentioned about a Big 3 for women: I feel like there had been a discussion at some point about including women. To be honest, who knows if they would be interested in having one for women. It seems like some of the draw for the Big 3 is nostalgia and seeing if these retired male ballers still have something in the tank. Women's pro ball is still struggling with getting fans to carry over from college to the pros....

Side note: Looks like the rules are different for the Big 3 vs. the Olympic format: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big3 .

If we get a 3X3, I suspect it will be through someone who really is invested in growing women's athletics. It looks like the Storm and Sky sponsored some 3X3 teams to help the US qualify for the Olympics. Some players (or former players) own gyms ( I can't remember who it is) and Renee Montgomery organizes runs (open pick up games): https://www.the1891.club/events/2021/6/21/reneesrun. Apparently there was a women's slam dunk competition being arranged a number of months ago. I never saw any video from it though. I'm hoping that the success of the Olympic 3X3 really raises the profile and investment in the game.

Update: Here's a great article on the 3X3 experience!

https://www.si.com/olympics/2021/07/28/us-womens-3x3-basketball-gold-medal-tokyo-olympics

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/29/21 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:

Update: Here's a great article on the 3X3 experience!

https://www.si.com/olympics/2021/07/28/us-womens-3x3-basketball-gold-medal-tokyo-olympics

one minor quibble calling ALisha Gray a number one draft pick, but yeah a fun article in keeping with a fun game.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/29/21 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/i/status/1419498844245667840
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: