RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Women's 3 X 3 schedule
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 07/18/21 7:40 pm    ::: Women's 3 X 3 schedule Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/2020-tokyo-olympics-womens-3x3-basketball-tournament-tv-schedule-live-stream-start-times-group-standings

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/24/21 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

anybody watched 3x3 yet?

I just saw the US v Mongolia game. The US won pretty easily. Dolson dominated inside and Gray and Plum hit outside shots. It looks like they're still trying to figure out Young's role but she did get a steal and a layup.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/24/21 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and v. France.
Interesting. Gray didn't have a great game. Young definitely a weak link. They don't call the same fouls as they do in 5x5 so her drives are way less effective. And her attempted passes to Dolson were also not good. It will be interesting to see if she gets more in tune as they play more together. And will other teams adjust how they play the US?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/24/21 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They didn't look perfect chemistry-wise but they still looked comfortably the best team of the eight. And they beat France more comfortably yesterday than they did in the qualifier a month or two ago.

Russia looked useful in the opener when everything was going in, then collapsed and nearly gave the game away. The US still look solid favourites for gold.

PostPosted: 07/24/21 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

re: Mongolia women's 3x3

http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/3x3/2020/news/3x3-star-onolbaatar-becomes-first-ever-female-mongolian-flag-bearer-at-tokyo-olympics

Quote:
ULAANBAATAR (Mongolia) – At just 21 years old, 3x3 star Khulan Onolbaatar has been selected to become the flag-bearer for Mongolia at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, the first-ever woman to get this honor.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/24/21 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's the first Mongolian woman to be flag bearer at the Summer games. Davaagiin Enkhee was their first female flag bearer at the 1988 Winter games in Calgary.

PostPosted: 07/25/21 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA went 2-0 in today's matchups against Romania and Russia. Russia definitely gave them a go but the USA upped the ante and pulled out the W! It is interesting to see how much contact is allowed in 3X3. There was a play where Steph was being defended in the post and inadvertently elbowed the player in the face and the Russian player was called for the foul. If this were the W, we would have been watching a 20 minute review and possibly a flagrant 1! Laughing Given the slight rule differences, I can definitely see how it would take a bit to transition from 3X3 to 5X5. Still this quite a fun game! Go USA!

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/25/21 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The foul call on the Russian player might have been for hitting Dolson's arm when she slapped at the ball. That happened before Stefanie turned and they collided. On replay, it appears to be more shoulder than elbow that caught the player's face. And as the commentator noted, it looked like the Russian did some acting to embellish the contact.

PostPosted: 07/25/21 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is interesting to see the difference between the team with Katie Lou and the team with Jackie. I think the big thing you miss with Katie Lou is here height and wingspan. Since they switch out a player at every stoppage of play, there is a stretch where they don’t have Dolson. When Katie Lou was in during the qualifiers, she could guard the bigger player without having the height mismatch. But Jackie is much shorter and so on the switches, there ends up being a height mismatch. The Russians took advantage of this a couple of times. Will be curious to see how it plays out during the course of the Olympics.

PostPosted: 07/25/21 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sithinfiltrator wrote:
It is interesting to see the difference between the team with Katie Lou and the team with Jackie. I think the big thing you miss with Katie Lou is here height and wingspan. Since they switch out a player at every stoppage of play, there is a stretch where they don’t have Dolson. When Katie Lou was in during the qualifiers, she could guard the bigger player without having the height mismatch. But Jackie is much shorter and so on the switches, there ends up being a height mismatch. The Russians took advantage of this a couple of times. Will be curious to see how it plays out during the course of the Olympics.

Well said.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/26/21 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USAB went 2-0 again today! I missed the match against Italy but the one against China just finished and was a hard fought win ending in a Plum 2 pointer to get the USA to 21 with about 30 sec left in regulation. Gray has been great on offense and defense all tournament!

Indeed, they loss height and offense with Katie Lou but of course, Jackie is a better defensive player and is definitely playing hard out there. Glad that she was available to step in and help keep us rolling! Anyone know how Katie Lou is doing in recovery?

FYI, Women's 5X5 starts at 12:40AM Eastern against Nigeria! I have to admit that it was sad but expected to see that the only Olympic bball coverage on GMA this morning was the men's loss. Absolutely nothing about how well the women's 3X3 is doing, nor the fact that the women's 5X5 begin their quest for 7 on Tuesday.... *le sigh*

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/26/21 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
sithinfiltrator wrote:

Well said.

Concur. IMHO, Katie Lou was the weak link on offense, about equal with Jackie so far, giving Jackie a slight edge. Jackie's fit on offense is improving with every game. We do miss Katie's height on defense when Steph is off the floor. Alisha Gray helped win an NCAA championship playing PF, but the opposing team has both Jackie and the very small Kelsey Plum to hope for on a defensive switch.

It'll be a little closer with Jackie in for Katie Lou, but we can still win gold with Jackie. SO glad she was available to play!

~rAf
root_thing

PostPosted: 07/26/21 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw that Young was replacing Samuelson -- we're going to have a defensive problem with three small players on the court when Dolson rests. Since the 4th player is essentially a sub for everybody, this is a case where being a tweener is actually helpful -- or at least being someone who is unusually versatile. A player like DeWanna Bonner who is long but extremely quick would be ideal. Or maybe a Myisha Hines-Allen who is only 6-1, but at 200 lbs is strong enough to push a post player away from the basket. Obviously, they are also just better players. Raising the quality of participants should be a goal in the future. Entering enough qualifying tournaments to rack up points is an issue, but maybe USA Basketball can find a sponsor to compensate players for not going overseas. Then, they could concentrate on 3x3 competition.

PostPosted: 07/26/21 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
sithinfiltrator wrote:

Well said.

Concur. IMHO, Katie Lou was the weak link on offense, about equal with Jackie so far, giving Jackie a slight edge. Jackie's fit on offense is improving with every game. We do miss Katie's height on defense when Steph is off the floor. Alisha Gray helped win an NCAA championship playing PF, but the opposing team has both Jackie and the very small Kelsey Plum to hope for on a defensive switch.

It'll be a little closer with Jackie in for Katie Lou, but we can still win gold with Jackie. SO glad she was available to play!

What games are you watching? Young in 6 games has scored a total of 11 points, 9 baskets and 2 FT's. That is less than 2 pts per game. Her shooting percentage is 40%, all from inside the arc(has yet to take a 3pt shot). On 1 point shots Plum is 81% Dolson is 72% and Gray is 60%. Youngs dribble drives are not much and I dont think I have seen her get open yet on a pick and roll. On defense her switch offs have not been the greatest either.
If you watch the times she is in, she is by far the last option, sometimes not getting a touch, on numerous offensive possessions.
Team USA needed someone to be the 4th player and took the best player, with enough qualifying 3x 3 points, to go to Tokyo.

USA most likely still wins the Gold, but on the backs of the other 3. Samuelson was a much better option as the 4th player. Her passing, dribbling and outside the arc shooting is no contest with Young.

I took Youngs stats from the box score of each game. Individual leaders in the 6 games played are listed on this pdf.

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/BK3/OG2020-_BK3_C85_BK3WTEAM3-------------------------.pdf

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/26/21 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
sithinfiltrator wrote:

Well said.

What games are you watching? Young in 6 games has scored a total of 11 points, 9 baskets and 2 FT's. That is less than 2 pts per game. Her shooting percentage is 40%, all from inside the arc(has yet to take a 3pt shot). On 1 point shots Plum is 81% Dolson is 72% and Gray is 60%. Youngs dribble drives are not much and I dont think I have seen her get open yet on a pick and roll. On defense her switch offs have not been the greatest either.
If you watch the times she is in, she is by far the last option, sometimes not getting a touch, on numerous offensive possessions.
Team USA needed someone to be the 4th player and took the best player, with enough qualifying 3x 3 points, to go to Tokyo.

USA most likely still wins the Gold, but on the backs of the other 3. Samuelson was a much better option as the 4th player. Her passing, dribbling and outside the arc shooting is no contest with Young.

I took Youngs stats from the box score of each game. Individual leaders in the 6 games played are listed on this pdf.

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/BK3/OG2020-_BK3_C85_BK3WTEAM3-------------------------.pdf

The point is that I am WATCHING the games and not the stat sheet. I recognize Jackie is the last option - as was Katie Lou. WATCHING the games, it's easy to see that Jackie is just starting to get comfortable. IMHO, if Jackie has enough time with the other 3, that will continue to improve.

By the way, check back and see I made posts about Katie Lou as the weakest link before she was DQ'd with Covid protocol. Jackie's now getting deflections she wasn't getting at first because she was in the wrong spot. Now she's getting where she needs to be and her quick hands are paying off.

We are still at a deficit when Steff is off the floor and almost lost a game due to there being no stoppage to allow Steff to re-enter when she should have. And we're at a deficit 100% due to lack of height on defense. It's not about the offense. Katie Lou missed WAY too many shots (and USA lost possession) so it's a bonus to not have Jackie throwing up misses.

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 07/26/21 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
re: Mongolia women's 3x3

http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/3x3/2020/news/3x3-star-onolbaatar-becomes-first-ever-female-mongolian-flag-bearer-at-tokyo-olympics

Quote:
ULAANBAATAR (Mongolia) – At just 21 years old, 3x3 star Khulan Onolbaatar has been selected to become the flag-bearer for Mongolia at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, the first-ever woman to get this honor.

From the link:
Quote:
Their [Mongolia's] success is reflected not only in this discipline’s rise into the Olympic stratosphere but also by who is here — and who isn’t. The men from the United States — the country where the game was invented and perfected — did not qualify. Mongolia’s women did.

I have not followed all the politics/ratings/etc., that determines who's in/who's out re: countries in any given sport. But....can anyone explain the above anomaly in 3 sentences or less? I read that Mongolia's team ranked 3rd in the world, but....how are they not better than their contests indicate?

Also -- if there are explanatory threads in the wnba forum, forgive me -- how exactly did these 4 American players make the roster? Is it determined by 'committee', as the 5 x 5 team? Just curious.

PostPosted: 07/26/21 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A central part of the point of 3x3 for FIBA is participation. It's about widening the game to more countries and a broader base. So the first few spots for both men and women went to the countries with the most 3x3 ranking points. You could generate a lot of those points by organising and/or playing in a lot of 3x3 tournaments, so I presume Mongolia did that and thereby kinda gamed the system and qualified.

Players also needed a certain level of 3x3 ranking points both to play in the Olympic qualifier and the Olympics themselves. So USA Basketball had some leeway in who they could send, but couldn't just chuck in four superstars at the last moment.

PostPosted: 07/26/21 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect now that it is an Olympic event, the US will make a bigger push to get more players 'qualified'. I think some of the current players qualified because they played some 3x3 tournaments when they were in college...but not sure because I don't know how long those rankings last. Gray and Plum are both performing spectacularly overall and Dolson holds down the middle, especially on defense. This type of game is not great for Young. As mentioned before, the advantage of KLS was that she had some height to back up Dolson against teams that have a big and she could also keep opponents honest with the long ball. Young can fake a shot all she wants but at this point everybody knows she's going to drive, and since the fouls are not often called, she struggles to score. Even her pullup mid range shots have looked pretty awful. I assume she was plugged in because she was available and qualified but she is very clearly the weakest link. I also think the US could better use their substitutions and maybe keep Dolson on the court when the other team's big is out there. Instead they have a pattern for substitution and just stick to it regardless of what the other team is doing.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/26/21 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I suspect now that it is an Olympic event, the US will make a bigger push to get more players 'qualified'.

Yeah, it felt like the US only really noticed what was going on with 3x3 about halfway through the process, and then had to scramble. Or maybe it was just the familiar story from 5-on-5 of assuming their talent advantage would do all the work anyway so they didn't really need to pay much attention.

I agree that I'd expect the US to be more organised in their approach next time (although FIBA may well also change the system).

PostPosted: 07/26/21 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a moot point now but I wonder what the 3x3 team would look like with Onyenwere instead of Young filling in for KLS. I believe Onyenwere was the only other eligible player on a WNBA roster. She has the athleticism/versatility that is important in 3x3, a bit more size than Young which would help prevent the mismatches when Dolson is out, and has proven herself this WNBA season as a 3 point threat.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 07/27/21 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="IM in OC"][quote="readyAIMfire53"][quote="undersized_post"][quote="sithinfiltrator"]It is interesting to see the difference between the team with Katie Lou and the team with Jackie. I think the big thing you miss with Katie Lou is here height and wingspan. Since they switch out a player at every stoppage of play, there is a stretch where they don’t have Dolson. When Katie Lou was in during the qualifiers, she could guard the bigger player without having the height mismatch. But Jackie is much shorter and so on the switches, there ends up being a height mismatch. The Russians took advantage of this a couple of times. Will be curious to see how it plays out during the course of the Olympics.[/quote]

Well said.[/quote]

[b]Concur. IMHO, Katie Lou was the weak link on offense, about equal with Jackie so far, giving Jackie a slight edge.[/b] Jackie's fit on offense is improving with every game. We do miss Katie's height on defense when Steph is off the floor. Alisha Gray helped win an NCAA championship playing PF, but the opposing team has both Jackie and the very small Kelsey Plum to hope for on a defensive switch.

It'll be a little closer with Jackie in for Katie Lou, but we can still win gold with Jackie. SO glad she was available to play![/quote]

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/BK3/OG2020-_BK3_C85_BK3WTEAM3-------------------------.pdf[/quote]

He’s a hater. Don’t bother, he only talks crap in one player even tho Plum is 9/33 but I guess he’s just watching the games. But not all of them as he would have watched the Big 12. There is a clear disadvantage on this team now being size, length, passing (one player only has 1 assist to this point but he’s watching the game) and rebounding. And I guess he just watched the games when the player he hates got taken out at the knees in the qualifiers first game but came back in the next games just like she did at UConn never wanting to let her team down. But he will keep making excuses and hate while he’s watching the games.

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 07/27/21 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ya can't win 'em all! Congrats to the hosts. On to the knockout round!

~lw3

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/27/21 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
Ya can't win 'em all! Congrats to the hosts. On to the knockout round!

~lw3

I missed the game this morning but am glad they had already secured the top stop. Yes indeed! Final games are tomorrow!

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/27/21 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
sithinfiltrator wrote:

Well said.

He’s a hater. Don’t bother, he only talks crap in one player even tho Plum is 9/33 but I guess he’s just watching the games. But not all of them as he would have watched the Big 12. There is a clear disadvantage on this team now being size, length, passing (one player only has 1 assist to this point but he’s watching the game) and rebounding. And I guess he just watched the games when the player he hates got taken out at the knees in the qualifiers first game but came back in the next games just like she did at UConn never wanting to let her team down. But he will keep making excuses and hate while he’s watching the games.

Yes, Jackie is the weakest link...but so was Katie Lou. And by WATCHING, I'm SEEING Jackie's progress through the Olympics. The fact that Jackie shoots less often is a plus since Katie Lou's low percentage produced basically turnovers. If Michaela Onyenwere was qualified, (I don't know) then I would have sent her instead of Jackie Young. Onyenwere would likely also have been the weakest link but her height would have been better.

Re: Jackie's progress. I see that she's now getting deflections she wasn't getting earlier but she's learning where she needs to be. It's all about number of possessions, so any way you can help your team gain possessions is a positive. Her biggest deficit is height, with shooting close behind. She's not in there for her shooting - she's in there to create possessions for her teammates, who shoot at much higher rates. Again, Jackie shooting less than Katie Lou is a net positive for this team since Katie threw up a lot of clunkers.

~rAf
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/27/21 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
sithinfiltrator wrote:

Well said.

Yes, Jackie is the weakest link...but so was Katie Lou. And by WATCHING, I'm SEEING Jackie's progress through the Olympics. The fact that Jackie shoots less often is a plus since Katie Lou's low percentage produced basically turnovers. If Michaela Onyenwere was qualified, (I don't know) then I would have sent her instead of Jackie Young. Onyenwere would likely also have been the weakest link but her height would have been better.

Re: Jackie's progress. I see that she's now getting deflections she wasn't getting earlier but she's learning where she needs to be. It's all about number of possessions, so any way you can help your team gain possessions is a positive. Her biggest deficit is height, with shooting close behind. She's not in there for her shooting - she's in there to create possessions for her teammates, who shoot at much higher rates. Again, Jackie shooting less than Katie Lou is a net positive for this team since Katie threw up a lot of clunkers.

Agreed! Jackie basically got to Japan in time for their first match. 3X3 is a transition for anyone particularly when you've had no time with the team. Jackie can only be who she is and and is getting her legs under her. It is great that she was ready to go when called and she is contributing to the success of the squad.

I love the idea of Onyenwere or imagine Laney!

I definitely expect for the US to take 3X3 much more seriously going forward. Previous participants were limited, at best: https://www.usab.com/history/3x3-men-and-womens/women/3x3-wwc-alpha-roster.aspx

To be honest, I love that we have another outlet and Olympic opportunity for players who may not have made the 5 X 5. Previously, trying to become Olympians with overseas teams were their only options and now it's not. I also love that the team is not made up of "known" stars but they are good players who fit this style. Steph can be as physical as she'd like. Plum can break players down off the bounce and is a primary offensive weapon. This is such a great "look" for her and her confidence. Gray is really great on both sides of the ball and this is such a good showcase for her. I love it for them all! Wishing them all the success tomorrow!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: