Board Junkies Forums

2022 FIBA Women's World Cup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awhom111

PostPosted: 06/23/22 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
threadkiller1201 wrote:
so with LJ coming back, who's the starting point guard for the Opals now?

PG is a problem for the Opals these days.

Whitcomb will likely start in that role.

Wallace will probably spend some time there too, and after that we're still waiting to find out which "actual" PG ends up being selected once the camps are lead-up games are done.
Maddison Rocci seems to be the favourite right now. Shyla Heal and Jade Melbourne are good chances of making the team as well, but aren't really PGs either. SGs masquerading as PGs often isn't a big deal, but in recent games against Japan it was a real problem any time they decided to pressure us. Turnover city.
If it looks like LJ is going to make it then maybe we should also defrost Kristi Harrower or Tully Bevilaqua.

The whole Erin Phillips playing both sports again thing has not seemed to amount to anything.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/24/22 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
threadkiller1201 wrote:
so with LJ coming back, who's the starting point guard for the Opals now?

PG is a problem for the Opals these days.

Whitcomb will likely start in that role.

Wallace will probably spend some time there too, and after that we're still waiting to find out which "actual" PG ends up being selected once the camps are lead-up games are done.
Maddison Rocci seems to be the favourite right now. Shyla Heal and Jade Melbourne are good chances of making the team as well, but aren't really PGs either. SGs masquerading as PGs often isn't a big deal, but in recent games against Japan it was a real problem any time they decided to pressure us. Turnover city.
If it looks like LJ is going to make it then maybe we should also defrost Kristi Harrower or Tully Bevilaqua.

The whole Erin Phillips playing both sports again thing has not seemed to amount to anything.

Once she got to play footy I was not expecting her to touch a basketball again.

Speaking of dual sport athletes though ... Tessa Lavey is someone I probably shouldn't have omitted from the Opals list. Despite seeming more committed to AFLW lately I think she's still as good a pure point guard as we have right now. Not sure what her intentions are re. trying to make the World Cup.

PostPosted: 06/24/22 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sami as your starting PG might not be a bad thing though. It allows you to play with Bec Allen and Talbot at the SG and SF positions. Nice perimeter shooting and defensive versatility..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/28/22 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Six weeks after withdrawing Nigeria from international basketball for two years, president Muhammadu Buhari's government have made a U-turn and reversed the ban. But it came too late for the women's national team, who have seen their place at the FIBA Women's World Cup taken up by Mali.

https://africa.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/34154872/basketball-ban-reversal-comes-too-late-nigeria-women-national-team-dtigress

🤦‍♂️

PostPosted: 07/09/22 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals squad trimmed down to 15 ahead of their trip to NY to play against Canada

Bec ALLEN
Sara BLICAVS
Darcee GARBIN
Cayla GEORGE
Lauren JACKSON
Tess MADGEN
Ezi MAGBEGOR
Anneli MALEY
Jade MELBOURNE
Maddy ROCCI
Alanna SMITH
Steph TALBOT
Marianna TOLO
Kristy WALLACE *Unavailable to play in the NY practice matches
Sami WHITCOMB

https://australia.basketball/opals-squad-head-to-new-york-for-practice-matches/

PostPosted: 07/09/22 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Yeah! I know the USA has hosted the FIBA Men's tournament just once before (Indianapolis in 2002), but never the women's tournament.

Considering how that tournament turned out for the US it is understandable that we're not that keen to host again

PostPosted: 07/09/22 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An interesting new story as FIBA is apparently going to allow Mya Hollingshead to play for Puerto Rico despite not meeting the traditional requirements for someone to play for their team.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/09/22 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals team has been named.
https://australia.basketball/2022-fiba-wwc-opals-team-bound-for-sydney/

Bec ALLEN
Sara BLICAVS
Darcee GARBIN
Cayla GEORGE
Lauren JACKSON
Tess MADGEN
Ezi MAGBEGOR
Anneli MALEY
Steph TALBOT
Marianna TOLO
Kristy WALLACE
Sami WHITCOMB

A ridiculously front-court-heavy 12.

--

Quote:
Head Coach of Australia @SBrondello tells legendary @laurenej15 that she will play with the Opals at her 5th World Cup

https://twitter.com/FIBAWWC/status/1557113474509053952

Quote:
Six years after her retirement and nine years after her last Opals appearance, 41-year-old Lauren Jackson will suit up for Australia once more at next month’s Women's Basketball World Cup in Sydney @laurenej15 joins us!

https://twitter.com/theprojecttv/status/1557295344765046785

PostPosted: 08/10/22 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
A ridiculously front-court-heavy 12.

I hadn't really realised, but it really is, isn't it? Whitcomb, Wallace and I guess Madgen as the ballhandlers and then lots and lots of wings and bigs. Talbot or Allen playing some 2 and go super-switchy on D, maybe? Or a bunch of zone. This squad definitely has the potential to be pesky and annoying, and they're on the extensive list of possibilities for silver, but an extra ballhandler/creator definitely would've been useful.

PostPosted: 08/10/22 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My first thought upon seeing this roster was “so who is the PG?”

Whatever happened to Shyla Heal? Did she just not develop as expected. The Opals have always been most successful with a spunky PG.

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 08/10/22 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woo hoo LJ!!!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/10/22 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Whatever happened to Shyla Heal? Did she just not develop as expected. The Opals have always been most successful with a spunky PG.

She was in their original larger squad, but didn't make the final 12. She's still only 20 to be fair, so plenty of time to develop and be part of future teams.

PostPosted: 08/10/22 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
PRballer wrote:

She was in their original larger squad, but didn't make the final 12. She's still only 20 to be fair, so plenty of time to develop and be part of future teams.

In FIBA games this year we've given Heal, Rocci, Melbourne & Reid opportunities in the backcourt and none have impressed. I really thought we'd pick one of them anyway just because we need to have *someone* as a backup guard, but nope, I guess not.
Heal's best basketball is when she plays the 2. PG hasn't gone as well for her so far (Sky fans would understand why) so I get why she wasn't selected.

PostPosted: 08/10/22 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heal is quite short, as is her wingspan.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/10/22 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
PRballer wrote:

In FIBA games this year we've given Heal, Rocci, Melbourne & Reid opportunities in the backcourt and none have impressed. I really thought we'd pick one of them anyway just because we need to have *someone* as a backup guard, but nope, I guess not.
Heal's best basketball is when she plays the 2. PG hasn't gone as well for her so far (Sky fans would understand why) so I get why she wasn't selected.

And while it's not quite how she treated Alanna Smith, Brondello has once again pushed a key Opal back and back in her rotation with her club team. Now she's going to ask Whitcomb to run the team for the Opals after increasingly sidelining her in New York. Obviously different situations and different squads, and I'm sure Whitcomb understands that, but it must make for an awkward conversation or two.

PostPosted: 09/08/22 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Australian Opals captain was announced today.

Quote:
Olympian and Opals’ leadership group member, Tess Madgen has been named captain of the Australian team for the FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup this month.
Announced to the team today at the final training camp on the Gold Coast, the 32-year-old long-time Opal was overwhelmed with emotion when receiving the news from Coach Sandy Brondello and fought back tears as she spoke to the group.

https://australia.basketball/opals-name-captain-for-fiba-womens-basketball-world-cup/

PostPosted: 09/08/22 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you just need to get Mary Murphy as an announcer. She will explain how LJ can play all five positions so will for sure be the PG. Very Happy

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/08/22 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

has fluffy bunny retired?

awhom111

PostPosted: 09/08/22 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playoff results did not help in terms of number of players becoming available for the United States. Great news for Belgium and Australia though. Bosnia is really sweating it out now.

myrtle wrote:
has fluffy bunny retired?

She had a baby earlier this year. I don't think she's made a public decision on whether she will play again, though it would be fun if she was a player-coach and put herself in the lineup along with her longtime partner and her partner's sister. The rules being what they are, even the Whitcomb of this season would still beat out what she showed when she last played.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there anyone obvious who would be the next naturalised player up for Australia? Because Whitcomb's still useful but might not be far off aging out herself.

PostPosted: 09/09/22 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Is there anyone obvious who would be the next naturalised player up for Australia? Because Whitcomb's still useful but might not be far off aging out herself.

For Luuuc's sake, I hope that the answer is Bryce Cotton.

Australia does not traditionally snap-naturalize people, absent another Mitchell/Thybulle situation, it would be hard to see how a player would gain citizenship at a reasonably young age and be a clear upgrade. The players who are younger than Whitcomb who would figure to be somewhere in the full citizenship process are Mikaela Ruef, Ali Schwagmeyer, and Emilee Harmon. Players that are clearly naturalization level just are not likely to stick around unless they really love their time in Australia and spending more months out of the country certainly does not help speed up the process.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/10/22 3:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice summary. i.e. short answer is no.

(and yeah - Bryce is long overdue Mad )

Given that Cambage is no longer welcome in the Opals program and was born in London, maybe there's a different type of nationality reassignment that could interest Richyyy .... ? Razz

PostPosted: 09/10/22 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Given that Cambage is no longer welcome in the Opals program and was born in London, maybe there's a different type of nationality reassignment that could interest Richyyy .... ? Razz

How many Elizabeth-related traumas do you want this man to endure?

PostPosted: 09/18/22 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do y'all know if ESPN+ the only way to watch the world cup?!!

awhom111

PostPosted: 09/18/22 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
Do y'all know if ESPN+ the only way to watch the world cup?!!

It's not supposed to be, but the only game I see listed for TV so far is USA vs. South Korea at 11:59pm ET Sunday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: