awhom111

PostPosted: 09/29/22 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quarterfinals recap:
https://wbasketballblog.com/2022/09/29/world-cup-quarterfinals-september-29th/
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/29/22 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The hosts started well and are now back at full strength after an 86-69 win over Belgium.

Bec Allen was subbed into the game late in the first quarter, looked in obvious discomfort, subbed herself back out, and took no further part in the action.
Currently hoping for an LJ-like level of recovery overnight ahead of tomorrow's semi final.

PostPosted: 09/29/22 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Lots of semi-US-friendly times up until now, but the business end of the tournament is going to test your dedication levels

17:00 Canada v United States (US Time: Fri 03:00am ET) Boxscore Link
19:30 Australia v China (US Time: Fri 05:30am ET) Boxscore Link

Yeah, I was sort of keeping up with the games but I will have to miss these next two. Confused

PostPosted: 09/30/22 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woke up in time to catch the last couple minutes of Australia vs China. A couple of heart wrenching mistakes by Australia down the stretch.

PostPosted: 09/30/22 6:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looked like we were running in sand for that whole 2nd half. Tired bodies -> poor decisions. I couldn't figure out how we stayed in that game right to the end. Absolute slugfest of a game. Blown layups & free throws proved pretty costly in the end.
China deserved that W though. They made life tough for us from the start.

I've got no idea how the Opals are going to compete with Canada tomorrow. They'll be running on empty and will need to get significant contributions from the bench.

Proud of the Opals overall. By making the top 4 they already exceeded my expectations. The old team culture is back, which is a good foundation to go forward with.

PostPosted: 09/30/22 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Semifinals recap:
https://wbasketballblog.com/2022/09/30/world-cup-semifinals-september-30th/
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/30/22 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone seen/heard anything about whether Li Meng is expected to be available for the final?

PostPosted: 09/30/22 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Looked like we were running in sand for that whole 2nd half. Tired bodies -> poor decisions. I couldn't figure out how we stayed in that game right to the end. Absolute slugfest of a game. Blown layups & free throws proved pretty costly in the end.
China deserved that W though. They made life tough for us from the start.

I've got no idea how the Opals are going to compete with Canada tomorrow. They'll be running on empty and will need to get significant contributions from the bench.

Proud of the Opals overall. By making the top 4 they already exceeded my expectations. The old team culture is back, which is a good foundation to go forward with.

That is great news. Having Australia as a tough opponent helps increase the level of play top to bottom. So glad the Aussies have successfully re-set going forward. How much do you think having LJ back helped to restore the team culture?

~rAf
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/30/22 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
How much do you think having LJ back helped to restore the team culture?

There's a lot of puff piece type content and lazy journalism to try to filter through when it comes to the LJ comeback story, but it really does seem like her presence in the squad this year has been influential on the group in terms of getting the most out of themselves individually, and focusing better as a cohesive team.
A valuable boost that hopefully will linger on long after her Opals career finishes in a few hours.

PostPosted: 09/30/22 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

... and for her of course, it's so much better that she's able to leave on her own terms this time.

PostPosted: 09/30/22 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

There's a lot of puff piece type content and lazy journalism to try to filter through when it comes to the LJ comeback story, but it really does seem like her presence in the squad this year has been influential on the group in terms of getting the most out of themselves individually, and focusing better as a cohesive team.
A valuable boost that hopefully will linger on long after her Opals career finishes in a few hours.

Quite the contrast to the atmosphere created by the big star post who's not there this time around...

PostPosted: 09/30/22 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It has been great to see LJ back on the court! We'll see if they can secure the Bronze in a few hours!

Here is a nice piece on AT:

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/34696652/fiba-world-cup-2022-alyssa-thomas-making-most-us-national-team-debut

She was actually directly recruited by Reeve for the squad and even her teammates (well at least one, publicly) is calling her the MVP! I have to admit that the last line of the article is a little annoying, given the politics of USAB....At any rate, I hope they handle business and she gets the gold and the MVP nod! She looks like she could possibly have a few years with the squad. The defensive energy of this year's team truly is one of its most distinctive qualities.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/30/22 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
... and for her of course, it's so much better that she's able to leave on her own terms this time.

Not following the pros very much, I don't know much about her first exit.....was it an injury-forced thing?

WfanFrJmp wrote:
I have to admit that the last line of the article is a little annoying, given the politics of USAB....

I know what you mean there. I'd just say better late than never....there are so many who'll just never get the chance at all, cuz *some* needed to do 5 Olympics, etc. To me, Alyssa is Tamika Catchings 2.0. May she play long and well. Cool

#NATC

PostPosted: 09/30/22 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Not following the pros very much, I don't know much about her first exit.....was it an injury-forced thing?

Yep. A constant string of attempted rehabs followed by further setbacks. I can only imagine how frustrating it would have been.

PostPosted: 09/30/22 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

This makes me so happy. Lauren has always found a way to express her individualism and be a consummate pro player.

~rAf
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/30/22 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LJ's 3rd quarter just won us a bronze medal.

Unbelievable.

PostPosted: 09/30/22 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
LJ's 3rd quarter just won us a bronze medal.

Unbelievable.

Wow - just Wow - finishing with 30 points, 7 boards, 2 steals and a block!

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 10/01/22 3:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

WfanFrJmp wrote:
I have to admit that the last line of the article is a little annoying, given the politics of USAB....

I know what you mean there. I'd just say better late than never....there are so many who'll just never get the chance at all, cuz *some* needed to do 5 Olympics, etc. To me, Alyssa is Tamika Catchings 2.0. May she play long and well. Cool

Agreed! It's just ridiculous but I'm glad that we've turned the page...at least I hope we have... This has to have been the most diverse (university-wise) squad we've had in forever and it was great to see it. Yep, you are right about the AT-Catch comparison...physical and versatile.

Wait, LJ had 30 and 7? Shocked Oh, I'm definitely going to have to go back and watch that game!

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 10/01/22 3:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great to see LJ do so well!!!

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/01/22 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
Great to see LJ do so well!!!

Agree! She worked SO hard to get back to this level. And she helped turn the entire program back to the gritty, fun-loving group we've all known for so many years.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/01/22 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a little confused. What award did Chelsea Gray earn? Was it MVP of the final game? And did all game MVP's earn an award - or just the MVP of the final game?

As far as the other tournament All Star entry from the US, I was toggling between Chelsea and Alyssa Thomas, so Breanna Stewart was a surprise to me. Was also wondering about A'ja being MVP despite missing two early games but she was just so superb, it was hard to deny A'ja. Just like in the WNBA, she did it on both sides. She smothered the post as well as Brittney ever did, using her mobility and wingspan to keep everyone out of the paint.

A'ja made sure the new look USA squad was every bit as dominant as the old timers ever were. And Chelsea at the point showed an exciting new look for the squad. She ran the squad, set up her teammates, made key defensive plays and hit the big daggers - exactly what the team needed.

And I love having young ones line up to come onto the squad. For instance,I can see Alyssa making this a "one and done," leaving space for Aliyah Boston.

~rAf
undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/01/22 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/34696652/fiba-world-cup-2022-alyssa-thomas-making-most-us-national-team-debut

Surprisingly good article from Alexa Philippou on Reeve basically handpicking AT for the Sydney 2022 squad.

Quote:
"USA Basketball, it may not always be your time, right?" Reeve said. "For Alyssa's earlier part of her career, go back and look at the post players during that time. It wasn't that Alyssa wasn't good enough. It just wasn't her time.

"What I appreciate is that Alyssa didn't go play for another country because she just didn't get it when she wanted to. She hung in there. She trusted me."

PostPosted: 10/01/22 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Surprisingly good article from Alexa Philippou on Reeve basically handpicking AT for the Sydney 2022 squad.

Quote:
"USA Basketball, it may not always be your time, right?" Reeve said. "For Alyssa's earlier part of her career, go back and look at the post players during that time. It wasn't that Alyssa wasn't good enough. It just wasn't her time.

"What I appreciate is that Alyssa didn't go play for another country because she just didn't get it when she wanted to. She hung in there. She trusted me."

I can't recall any other coach reaching out to a player that's been left out of the pool for so many years, of course Reeve could not resist being prickly with her latter comments Confused Rolling Eyes Laughing

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 10/01/22 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
I'm a little confused. What award did Chelsea Gray earn? Was it MVP of the final game? And did all game MVP's earn an award - or just the MVP of the final game?

As far as the other tournament All Star entry from the US, I was toggling between Chelsea and Alyssa Thomas, so Breanna Stewart was a surprise to me. Was also wondering about A'ja being MVP despite missing two early games but she was just so superb, it was hard to deny A'ja. Just like in the WNBA, she did it on both sides. She smothered the post as well as Brittney ever did, using her mobility and wingspan to keep everyone out of the paint.

A'ja made sure the new look USA squad was every bit as dominant as the old timers ever were. And Chelsea at the point showed an exciting new look for the squad. She ran the squad, set up her teammates, made key defensive plays and hit the big daggers - exactly what the team needed.

And I love having young ones line up to come onto the squad. For instance,I can see Alyssa making this a "one and done," leaving space for Aliyah Boston.

If Boston displaces any one on the team I would think it's either Austin or Bri Jones. Boston and AT bring different skill sets to the team and USA would be crazy to not have Alyssa on the roster.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 10/01/22 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My apologies, apparently AT did receive some well deserved recognition

https://www.fiba.basketball/womensbasketballworldcup/2022/news/world-cup-2022-all-second-team-best-coach-and-best-defensive-player-awards-known

I don't recall FIBA having an all second team or best defensive player awards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: