RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

It's about time the WNBA thinks about returning to Portland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/20 9:54 pm    ::: It's about time the WNBA thinks about returning to Portland Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/nba/its-about-time-wnba-thinks-about-returning-portland

Quote:
If the WNBA were to come back to Portland there is little doubt it could succeed

PostPosted: 03/27/20 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'd sure be great to (re-?)grow another PNW rivalry. Twisted Evil Maybe we'll get lucky and this article will make an impression on some ultra-rich person. Interesting timing for the author to put this out there now, to say the least.

After this health-and-economic crisis is all said & done, expansion may be even more dead in the water than it has been - but relocation might come roaring back in play. Confused Problem is, who in the area would buy a team? since it doesn't seem like any serious effort has been made since the Fire folded that I know of. Maybe that effort will one day come from Peregrine Sports, LLC, the company that owns both the Portland Timbers and the Portland Thorns, headed by a man named Merritt Paulson (whose father apparently was once the US Treasury Secretary as well as the CEO/Chairman of Goldman Sachs).

I wondered why the Portland Fire only lasted three seasons, so I went to their Wikipedia page:

Quote:
The 2002 season proved to be the Portland Fire's swan song season, but most improved. After this season, the WNBA sold ownership of their franchises to owners of their counterpart NBA teams or to third parties. Fire chairman Paul Allen's continued financial problems with what was seen league-wide as an underachieving Trail Blazers team put him out of the running to buy the Fire franchise and led to the Portland Fire folding in 2002. A group led by Clyde Drexler and Terry Emmert attempted to buy the franchise, but a deal was not made.

And Paul Allen's Estate of course still owns the Blazers.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/28/20 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There does seem to be a market there for women's sports, though it's unlikely any of the Oregon stars would wind up on the Portland team.

Of course, no one knows what the economic landscape will be like in a few months, but it does seem reasonable to expect a lengthy recovery. Still, all it takes is one person with a few million to burn and Portland will have a team.

PostPosted: 03/28/20 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another clickbait article about the WNBA returning or reviving a previous franchise.

Randy

PostPosted: 03/28/20 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is about the least likely time for a new WNBA team that anyone could imagine.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/28/20 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
There does seem to be a market there for women's sports, though it's unlikely any of the Oregon stars would wind up on the Portland team.

Of course, no one knows what the economic landscape will be like in a few months, but it does seem reasonable to expect a lengthy recovery. Still, all it takes is one person with a few million to burn and Portland will have a team.

The Portland Power survived there for 3 years before the ABL folded. Assuming economic recovery after this pandemic, and given the proper backing including television exposure, another team might do well there.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/20 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
This is about the least likely time for a new WNBA team that anyone could imagine.

The W can't stick to what people think they should do. They need to go against expectations.

PostPosted: 03/28/20 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Randy wrote:

The W can't stick to what people think they should do. They need to go against expectations.

I'd say they always go below expectations....

tfan

PostPosted: 03/28/20 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“It’s About Time for a Rich Portlander to Buy a WNBA Team” is what the title should be. No league-owned teams at this point.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/28/20 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

About 4-5 years ago the Portland Timbers were mentioned in wanting a WNBA team based on their success with the Portland Thorns(NWSL). Don't think any expansion is realistic until 2023 at least now. But Portland should be on the top of the list.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: