55%
 55%  [ 34 ]
No, COVID-19 causes cancellation.
44%
 44%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 61

tfan

PostPosted: 03/10/20 11:38 pm    ::: 2020 WNBA Season? Reply Reply with quote

The NBA is keeping reporters out of the locker room, has fans moved away from where the players exit/enter the locker room (they can infect each other, but not the players please) and has talked about the possibility of playing in front of empty arenas. California governor Gavin Newsom has pointed out that it is hypocritical for sports leagues to be concerned reporters will give COVID-19 to players but not that fans will give it to each other. Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden canceled 3/10/2020 rallies. Trump has none scheduled. Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune and the next Democratic debate will not have an audience. The Ivy League canceled their basketball tournaments and the Stanford WBB NCAA tournament games can have a maximum of 1,000 spectators. Will COVID-19 outbreaks get bad enough to cancel the 2020 WNBA season?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/11/20 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Became the most pessimistic, fear-ridden version of myself and voted No. Sad

sithinfiltrator

PostPosted: 03/11/20 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If COVID-19 follows the direction of all the other corona viruses that have ever existed, then it should peter out by summer, returning in the late fall and winter as things cool off. So my bet is that a late May start for the WNBA won't be impacted by it as much as the winter sports are now and probably will be next year too. A vaccine is still over a year out, so I expect next year to be a bit crazy when COVID-19 comes back and people have to hunker down for 6 months or whatnot. But for the WNBA, I expect things will go on pretty much as normal, though maybe the preseason games are at risk.

-Lisa

PostPosted: 03/11/20 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sithinfiltrator wrote:
If COVID-19 follows the direction of all the other corona viruses that have ever existed, then it should peter out by summer, returning in the late fall and winter as things cool off. So my bet is that a late May start for the WNBA won't be impacted by it as much as the winter sports are now and probably will be next year too. A vaccine is still over a year out, so I expect next year to be a bit crazy when COVID-19 comes back and people have to hunker down for 6 months or whatnot. But for the WNBA, I expect things will go on pretty much as normal, though maybe the preseason games are at risk.

-Lisa

I've read that COVID is less sensitive to warm weather than other viruses, and I doubt the number of cases will be declining by late May, but even if your prediction is accurate, are people going to be comfortable attending games at that point? Or are decreased attendance figures going to make the whole season too unprofitable to proceed?

Are players going to accept flying on commercial flights? Did the CBA address allowing charter flights?

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/11/20 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not all viruses are affected by heat. MERS is an example of one that seemed unaffected by warm weather. COVID-19 is too new for anyone to know for sure.

I guess the WNBA will need to significantly increase the price of League Pass. Razz

PostPosted: 03/11/20 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Realistically though, I'm concerned that if the games were played sans fan attendance, there isn't enough TV coverage aka profitable TV/streaming means for every team that can compensate for lost attendance revenue. Whether the games are played or not, this league in particular could go through a huge financial loss that impacts it hard in the long-term.

Just in time for the increase in player salaries... Shocked

toad455

PostPosted: 03/11/20 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is one case where we need to follow the NBA. The Warriors are now playing in an empty arena. I'm sure others will follow. All depends when this starts to settle down.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/11/20 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NBA makes a fortune from TV deals, though. Whether the WNBA can really afford the expense of salaries, travel and everything else with gate receipts of $0 from every game would be a different question.

PostPosted: 03/11/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The NBA makes a fortune from TV deals, though. Whether the WNBA can really afford the expense of salaries, travel and everything else with gate receipts of $0 from every game would be a different question.

Games don't start until mid-May, so the hope is that this is nearly over with by then. Numbers are decreasing in China and South Korea now with the Chinese leagues set to resume in the next few weeks.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/11/20 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Games don't start until mid-May, so the hope is that this is nearly over with by then. Numbers are decreasing in China and South Korea now with the Chinese leagues set to resume in the next few weeks.

China locked down 11 million people in Wuhan and ultimately increased it to 60 million people and South Korea did large amounts of testing, including people with no symptoms. Without either of those I am not clear on what stops it in the next few months. Holding basketball games with no fans probably only slows it.

Randy

PostPosted: 03/11/20 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournaments to be player without fans in attendance. Doesn't bode well at all for WNBA or other sports.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2020-ncaa-tournament-games-to-be-played-without-fans-in-attendance-due-to-threat-of-coronavirus/

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/11/20 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aaaaaaand the NBA season has just been suspended. https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1237914166285008896

toad455

PostPosted: 03/11/20 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Rudy!!

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28887560/nba-suspends-season-further-notice-player-tests-positive-coronavirus

IF the WNBA plays when it does, there will be major arena conflicts for most teams.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/11/20 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
China locked down 11 million people in Wuhan and ultimately increased it to 60 million people and South Korea did large amounts of testing, including people with no symptoms. Without either of those I am not clear on what stops it in the next few months. Holding basketball games with no fans probably only slows it.

Yes, I agree. Situation here is totally different than China and Korea. We’re only seeing the tip of the iceberg. It’s going to take a long time to get this pandemic under control. We’ve let valuable time slip away.

I don’t expect to see games, concerts or any large crowd events for months or even into next year.

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/11/20 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The question that I have yet seen posed is how this will affect the Olympic Games. Will they have to be canceled or rescheduled.

PostPosted: 03/11/20 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now there is a travel ban from Europe to US for 30 days. Will WNBA players overseas be able to get home?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/11/20 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Now there is a travel ban from Europe to US for 30 days. Will WNBA players overseas be able to get home?

Sure. They'll just have to board additional flights and pass through additional airports and generally interact with a whole lot more people to circumvent the foolproof plan.
Pretty sure Australia is still on the permitted-to-enter-the-USA list. Just don't try to come here from Italy.

PostPosted: 03/11/20 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The UK is excluded from the travel ban, so that could be a way in. Or you can fly to Canada and then sneak over the border from there. Just pretend you're a drug dealer or a smuggler. Smile

PostPosted: 03/11/20 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the complete shambles the US are generally making of handling all this, I feel like we should be banning all flights from the US, not waiting for them to ban all flights from here.

And there's been lots of discussion about what might happen to the Olympics, with Japan trying to hold off the IOC and saying that even if they have to postpone, as long as they hold it within 2020 they're still sticking to their contract with the IOC. On the 'bright' side, if the Olympics gets postponed/cancelled, the WNBA would have an extra month in the middle to aid rescheduling. Although the global basketball calendar could have to work around whenever they do manage to hold the Games, if it happens at all.

PostPosted: 03/11/20 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Given the complete shambles the US are generally making of handling all this, I feel like we should be banning all flights from the US, not waiting for them to ban all flights from here.

The UK is behaving a little better than the USA by asking for a self-quarantine of those returning from Italy, but that doesn’t prevent asymptomatic transmission (possibly 20% of those infected) or people with mild symptoms who may not realize the have it, or people who refuse to self-quarantine to some extent. I would expect full testing of anyone coming back from Italy at the time of a countrywide lockdown and isolation at the airport and transportation back to their homes that didn’t have them commingled with others. In this video at 4:27 a retired UK doctor notes that citizens flying back from Northern Italy to avoid the lockdown were not met at the airport by anyone. And the government made the nonsensical statement that they didn’t need to quarantine/test/monitor/transport anyone arriving from Northern Italy because the airlines had been monitoring passengers.

https://youtu.be/4SZBuHFzYlw

Last edited by tfan on 03/12/20 2:32 am; edited 3 times in total
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/12/20 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The G League is also suspended.
nsw43

PostPosted: 03/12/20 1:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sithinfiltrator wrote:

-Lisa

Australia began identifying COVID19 cases in January, when it was still summer there, and has seen a growing number of cases since then. A novel virus like COVID19 is highly contagious and lethal because the human body has never seen it before (since it's only been in animals). Angela Merkel, a scientist herself, said today she expects 60% to 70% of the German population to be infected by COVID19 during this exposure. If only 30% of the US population of 328 million became infected, that would be 98.4 million Americans. With a mortality rate of 1% (low side) 984,000 Americans would die over the next several months. That's why I voted no.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/12/20 2:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nsw43 wrote:
sithinfiltrator wrote:

-Lisa

Australia began identifying COVID19 cases in January, when it was still summer there, and has seen a growing number of cases since then.

Only coz people like bloody Tom Hanks keep bringing it in here! Razz

PostPosted: 03/12/20 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

The UK is behaving a little better than the USA by asking for a self-quarantine of those returning from Italy, but that doesn’t prevent asymptomatic transmission (possibly 20% of those infected) or people with mild symptoms who may not realize the have it, or people who refuse to self-quarantine to some extent. I would expect full testing of anyone coming back from Italy at the time of a countrywide lockdown and isolation at the airport and transportation back to their homes that didn’t have them commingled with others. In this video at 4:27 a retired UK doctor notes that citizens flying back from Northern Italy to avoid the lockdown were not met at the airport by anyone. And the government made the nonsensical statement that they didn’t need to quarantine/test/monitor/transport anyone arriving from Northern Italy because the airlines had been monitoring passengers.

https://youtu.be/4SZBuHFzYlw

Oh we have an idiot running our country as well, I didn't mean to suggest that we've been much better. It's just that today seems to be the day that America has collectively finally gone "Oh shitttttttttt".

PostPosted: 03/12/20 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can’t see the W season going ahead if the NBA ends up resuming and playing into the summer. And I can’t see the W season going ahead on schedule if the NBA cancels.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: