RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/26/22 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Moderna is suing Pfizer and BioNTech.

Quote:
The Cambridge, Massachusetts, company claims Pfizer-BioNTech’s vaccine Comirnaty infringes on patents it filed between 2010 and 2016 related to its mRNA technology, according to a Moderna news release.

“We believe that Pfizer and BioNTech unlawfully copied Moderna’s inventions, and they have continued to use them without permission,” said Moderna chief legal officer Shannon Thyme Klinger.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2022/08/26/covid-moderna-sues-pfizer-biontech-patent-infringement-mrna-vaccine/7902626001/

And...
Quote:
Moderna said that it pledged in October of 2020 not to enforce its patents while the pandemic continued but altered that policy in March of this year. The company said it would now only enforce its rights in the world's richest nations, retroactive only to March 8, 2022, while continuing to allow the COVID-19 vaccine patents to be used in 92 low- and middle-income countries...

Pfizer issued the following statement Friday morning:
"Pfizer/BioNTech has not yet fully reviewed the complaint but we are surprised by the litigation given the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine was based on BioNTech’s proprietary mRNA technology and developed by both BioNTech and Pfizer," the company said. "We remain confident in our intellectual property supporting the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine and will vigorously defend against the allegations of the lawsuit."

Nice money grab by Moderna, particularly after taxpayers ponied up billions to support their research.

https://www.wmur.com/article/moderna-sues-pfizer-biontech-mrna-covid-19-vaccines/41000076

tfan

PostPosted: 08/29/22 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

N95 masks (at least one brand I have that seems to fit tightly, particularly around the nose) make me feel pretty comfortable in elevators or going into a store (even though I minimize that). But a plane is a much bigger test of it since the duration is so much longer and people are closer. I am hesitant to make a 1.5 hour flight to Portland. I wouldn't eat or drink on the plane, and probably book a non direct cross country flight to eat or drink in a non-crowded part of the airport.

toad455

PostPosted: 10/19/22 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Offshoots of the BA.4 and BA.5 omicron subvariants are increasing in the U.S.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-subvariants-concerned/story?id=91625439

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/20/22 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Offshoots of the BA.4 and BA.5 omicron subvariants are increasing in the U.S.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-subvariants-concerned/story?id=91625439

I'm not surprised. My husband I am both just had this (less than a week before we were scheduled to get our boosters). His was pretty mild - I have been down for the count for a week and just not feeling like a person again. This is compared to a very mild case when I had it before.

Be careful out there, friends.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/20/22 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thankfully, I just got booster #4 a week ago. I was a bit surprised to feel a bit punky from that for 3 days....I'd never reacted to any of the others. Hope that means it's got my immune system at the ready!

PostPosted: 10/20/22 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're moving into another winter round of COVID. Here in NH, the number of cases is the highest it's been since Feb, the number of hospitalized patients have doubled in the last month, and hospitals are already feeling the strain on staffing.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/20/22 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it me, or is everyone sick right now. Half my workplace is out with either COVID, the flu, a cold or some kind of virus. I have a friend who's now hospitalized with the flu(non-COVID), I've seen concerts get cancelled due to artists getting sick, and OTC medicine is in short supply. Anyone else feeling a little uneasy getting together over the holidays now?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/16/nyregion/covid-flu-rsv-sick.html

Howee

PostPosted: 12/20/22 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OHH, ya. Here too, out in the hinterlands, far from the madding crowd....it's just like it was 2020 again. 'cept everybody's more relaxed cuz of vaccines. And the hospitals aren't quite so full with DYING people.

PostPosted: 12/20/22 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Is it me, or is everyone sick right now. Half my workplace is out with either COVID, the flu, a cold or some kind of virus. I have a friend who's now hospitalized with the flu(non-COVID), I've seen concerts get cancelled due to artists getting sick, and OTC medicine is in short supply. Anyone else feeling a little uneasy getting together over the holidays now?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/16/nyregion/covid-flu-rsv-sick.html

Yet they still ask us all to come into the city 2-3 times a week in the face of a re-surging virus, asking us to mask up again.

It's not gonna happen.

I've quit being scared of this virus. I can only assume the vaccines work for me because I haven't been sick since. It seems like nothing is going to prevent transmission, and IMHO we can either go back to full WFH like we were doing for 2 years, or leave things the way they are and deal with it. Masking is not an option. Masks are useless.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/20/22 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Majority of those I know that are vaccinated and got COVID usually only have medium to mild symptoms that last two or three days. Any kind of mask mandate would cause an uproar in any state. It's amazing how people would rather get sick then put on a mask for a few hours(flying, concert, theater, busses, etc.).

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/20/22 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People are gross. If I can avoid their grossness or not give them my grossness by using a mask, I am perfectly okay with that.

(now with spelling variations)
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/21/22 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm fine with the mask. Have been since day 1. Yes, it took a bit of getting used to but what new thing doesn't? Now, I don't even notice it. I've worn it home from work because I forgot about it. I've left work and gone for a walk with it on because I forgot about it. I even put one on while on a walk a few days ago because it was really cold and windy and I was hoping that it would help protect the recent incision on my face a little.

I frequently go past an urgent care center - 3-4x/day. The parking lot has been packed. Given that there is another urgent care center 1/4 mile away, that's a lot of sick people!

Like Queenie said, people are gross! I see people go into the gym and put the shoes that they are carrying onto the counter while they are checking in. If you can't bend/stoop down and put your shoes on the floor, maybe you need to spend a little more time at the gym on your flexibility. It's a gym people, make it part of your workout to bend/stoop two times while you are putting your shoes on the floor and again when you are picking them up!!!!!! I see people with canes and crutches use them to push the button for the auto door to open like they are in a jousting contest. Just disgusting people.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
toad455

PostPosted: 01/05/23 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-01-05/are-vaccines-fueling-new-covid-variants-like-xbb-1-5-no?utm_content=business&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic

Quote:
While doom-and-despair stories may always get more reader attention, Roby Bhattacharyya, an assistant professor of medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital, told me that despite being dubbed a “super variant” on Twitter, XBB.1.5 is unlikely to cause the sort of massive spike in cases, hospitalizations and deaths that the original omicron variant brought last winter.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/08/23 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's someone who thinks XBB1.5 is the most infectious variant ever. I saw a graph in some article recently that was graphing R0 I think (or some Rn), and XBB1.5 was floating well above all the others. There are antibodies from previous infections and vaccination to attack it but it is allegedly good at evading those as it is different enough from past variants. But they mentioned T cells and B cells still being effective.

XBB1.5: 'Of all the COVID variants, this one is the most infectious of them all' says NC health experts

Quote:
“This one has a mutation that makes it attach a little bit better to the receptors in the back of the nose and throat. That's where it first attaches and that makes it a bit more infectious,” said Ohl.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/09/23 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

However, cases have been nothing like last winter's Omicron variant. I've only know a small handful of people testing positive. Yet I know more people having the flu or RSV this winter instead.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/10/23 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
However, cases have been nothing like last winter's Omicron variant. I've only know a small handful of people testing positive. Yet I know more people having the flu or RSV this winter instead.

Yes, thankfully these variants that "are very good at evading current vaccines" and are "more contagious" (I don't know if that is versus is the current dominant variant or all prior variants) haven't caused anything close to what we got from the original Omicron for Christmas season 2021. And that was a period when people still wore masks and didn't go out as much. Now we even have stands full of unmasked spectators at basketball games. So these claims are puzzling since they don't seem to be reflected in subsequent cases. And yet they have made them for multiple variants since that huge original Omicron spike.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/29/23 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone else seeing a [small] COVID wave this summer? I've know several people getting it again and scientists are worried there will be a semi-bad outbreak this winter.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/07/28/1190443473/the-cdc-sees-signs-of-a-late-summer-covid-wave

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/30/23 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Anyone else seeing a [small] COVID wave this summer? I've know several people getting it again and scientists are worried there will be a semi-bad outbreak this winter.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/07/28/1190443473/the-cdc-sees-signs-of-a-late-summer-covid-wave

I haven't heard anything about it this summer.

I had a friend that had it really bad in late winter. I'm saying in a coma for a couple of weeks and hospitalized for a month. But I haven't heard anything lately.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 07/30/23 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a 97-year old friend that was hit with it on Mother's Day, bless her heart. I just saw her yesterday, and she's in better shape than I am, haha!

I have no doubt it will linger on - let's just hope it'll never reach pandemic proportions again.

PostPosted: 07/30/23 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know someone that was an aide in a retirement community. She got COVID a few weeks, had to quarantine and was forced to use her PTO and sick days. She tested positive three times over a two week period and couldn't return to work but ended up running out of PTO and sick days as she was just on vacation two months prior and used a good chunk of her PTO then. Her boss fired her for job abandonment. She's now getting a lawyer and sueing them.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/17/23 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the past two weeks, I've known a dozen people who got COVID (again). One friend was very sick for two weeks and lost 10 lbs.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/covid-19-cases-on-the-rise-and-a-new-booster-is-in-the-pipeline-191063621797

toad455

PostPosted: 08/23/23 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It may be time to break out the masks against Covid, some experts say

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/23/health/masks-covid-surge-wellness/index.html?utm_source=twCNN&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2023-08-23T17%3A31%3A03&utm_term=image

toad455

PostPosted: 09/06/23 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/signs-point-rise-covid-rcna103439

toad455

PostPosted: 12/19/23 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

COVID variant JN.1 listed as ‘variant of interest’ by World Health Organization

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-variant-jn1-listed-variant-interest-world-health/story?id=105782742

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100
Page 100 of 100

Jump to: