RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How Much Loyalty Is Due A Team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mayajustwins

PostPosted: 02/19/20 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We get a lot of that evil loyal fan thing on the Facebook Lynx group. If you say anything negative, you take a lot of flak.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mayajustwins wrote:
We get a lot of that evil loyal fan thing on the Facebook Lynx group. If you say anything negative, you take a lot of flak.

That's one of the types of "evil loyal fans" that I detest. Sorry you're running into that.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my mind I like the idea of ‘root for whoever you want to root for’...

I grew up 25 min from Sacramento. I was a Kings fan first, then found the WNBA through a game on TV in 2005- Detroit vs Indiana. I fell in love with the Shock. After research I found the WNBA had a team in Sacramento- the Monarchs. I do have a strange geographical tie to my hometown teams, I rooted for the Monarchs and loved watching Ticha. But in all honesty the Shock were my #1 team. They made me a fan of the WNBA in the first place.
Deanna Nolan inspired me, and every sport I play I wear #14 because of her.

I think you should be allowed to root for a team whatever the reason.
However I must admit that after the Warriors started winning, ‘bandwagon’ fans got on my nerves. Maybe it’s because through my loyalty to the kings and our 13 year playoff drought, I wondered where all the Warriors fans were when they weren’t great. I rarely saw jerseys here in San Diego.
And I’m so proud of the teams I root for, I wear Kings jerseys now despite all the losing and heartbreak, and took a lot of crap talking from friends about being a “Queens” fan. But with that came the rare times someone would also be a Kings fan and a sense of pride in our loyalty to our team would fill me.

I agree with the statement of “we owe nothing to franchises who don’t consider us as fans, they are a business” yet I feel stuck between root for whoever you want, but bothered if it’s jumping to championship winning teams (though I won’t give them crap for it)...so I suppose I’m also in conflict lol

I jumped to the Liberty because of Trader Bill, and the rights to Tweety, and stuck with them since even though ties to the Shock are long gone.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/19/20 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's one thing to wear Warriors and SF Giants gear when they're winning ... that's why I make a real effort to wear them now.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:

I agree with the statement of “we owe nothing to franchises who don’t consider us as fans, they are a business”

Problem is a lot teams forget that the fans are the customers....

hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/19/20 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Steph and Clay are my guys. I like the offensive scheme they play. Defense is serviceable but could use some tweaking. Am I a Warriors franchise fan per se? More or less but my heart is more with the players because I am a basketball player at heart. With the Wings, its been an up and down roller coaster since their inception. I am not sure the original ownership knew what they were getting into, the Dallas ownership seemed promising, did some good things, but, in my opinion, fell short. Now with Sky gone, I'm conflicted. More than likely I will follow Sky, back to Phoenix. It helps that she is going to play with two of my all-timers in Taurasi and Griner. I WANT to be "loyal" but I also feel that just like in any relationship, if you don't feel like you are being treated right or you just don't feel for them the way you used to, you should have the right to move on.
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 02/19/20 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Right, we are the reason they make any money! Without the fans it’s just another league. Any time a ‘good’ team comes to town, or it’s near the holidays, ticket prices go up. Good to know they have our back Rolling Eyes

ClayK wrote:
It's one thing to wear Warriors and SF Giants gear when they're winning ... that's why I make a real effort to wear them now.

Not that you need my validation, but I appreciate that!

hyperetic wrote:
I am not sure the original ownership knew what they were getting into, the Dallas ownership seemed promising, did some good things, but, in my opinion, fell short. Now with Sky gone, I'm conflicted. More than likely I will follow Sky, back to Phoenix. It helps that she is going to play with two of my all-timers in Taurasi and Griner. I WANT to be "loyal" but I also feel that just like in any relationship, if you don't feel like you are being treated right or you just don't feel for them the way you used to, you should have the right to move on.

I think this is totally fair.
And I like the metaphor to relationships!
And you’re going to a team where your favorite players are, not jumping to a team because they won the championship. Which again just personally bothers me, not saying it’s wrong.

When Detroit sold the team to Tulsa, I still rooted for them but New York became my other team (again my favorite player Tweety’s rights were traded there and that’s where Coach Laimbeer went).
Shock players didn’t like things in Tulsa, so while I still root for the Wings I am no longer ‘loyal’ to them and somehow New York is my team despite Coach leaving and no more Shock affiliations.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/19/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:

I agree with the statement of “we owe nothing to franchises who don’t consider us as fans, they are a business”

Disparaging coach(es) forget that too.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/20/20 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mayajustwins wrote:
Well, I had had a lot of contact with Carley Knox, the VP of business affairs, so I detailed all of this in an email to her. Never heard back. I talked to her in person at 2019 preseason meet and greet. She pooh-poohed all of my concerns. That was also when she mentioned the 3000 STHs.

Oh, and my rep got promoted.

Yeah that sounds pretty off putting and deserving of your misgivings.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 02/20/20 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, its been so long, I forgot. My original team was the Comets. C. Coop, Tina, and Swoopes made the league for me. It was when they folded that I went to Sacto. I thought Van Chancellor was a helluva coach. I didn't let them go. The franchise let us fans go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: