RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Where will McCoughtry end up this season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where will McCoughtry end up this season?
ATL
14%
 14%  [ 9 ]
CHI
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
CON
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
DAL
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
IND
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
LAS
31%
 31%  [ 20 ]
LVA
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
MIN
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
NYL
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
PHX
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
SEA
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
WAS
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 64

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/30/20 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Also, Vandersloot nor Quigley got cored so I doubt they’re signing for the full max.

No reason that they can't be. And having not cored either one, the last thing you want to do is piss them off with a low-ball offer so they start considering other offers. I'd imagine years might be the main negotiating issue with them - Vandersloot is about to turn 31, and Quigley hits 34 during the season. You might give Sloot the absolute full boat if she wants it, but 4 years would surely be too much for Quigley.

Oh yeah, definitely not saying it can’t be done or is impossible. Just assuming on the outside looking in to keep everybody intact that they would be willing to consider a small discount. Not huge.

Ah okay, fair enough. Considering they're also the starting backcourt for UMMC at the moment, family Vanderquigs is probably doing okay for cash right now.

PostPosted: 01/30/20 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s a comparison of these two players from a game from 1/22/20.

Maybe McCoughtry has a little rust to knock off, but if you were the GM, would you rather have McCoughtry at $185K (and Sparks may not be able to afford her next year) or the Ukrainian Iagupova for $57K (minimum)? Maybe for this season they could afford both?

I believe Iagupova is on a suspended contract with the Sparks. Iagupova has been a consistently good player overseas.

Here is the full game from 1/22/20. You can also watch Stokes and Zandalasini here.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H9HIeYrSqDY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 01/30/20 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Here’s a comparison of these two players from a game from 1/22/20...

Maybe McCoughtry has a little rust to knock off, but if you were the GM, would you rather have McCoughtry at $185K (and Sparks may not be able to afford her next year) or the Ukrainian Iagupova for $57K (minimum)? Maybe for this season they could afford both?

Monique Billings outplayed Napheesa Collier in a game one time. You guys should totally make that move.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/30/20 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vandersloot is coming off of a First-Team season and is the best point guard in the world right now. If she retires in Chicago, she will very likely be considered the greatest player in franchise history. Chicago will give her the max because she deserves it, and they would be idiots for ever letting her go anywhere else.

Now, if she OFFERS to take a pay cut to open up cap room, that’s another thing. But the Sky’s first offer should be Max.

Not that I like the idea of Angel in Chicago anyway, so I guess at that point the conversation is mute.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/30/20 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel only goes to Chicago if that's her preferred choice. Otherwise, I think LA or Vegas suits her best.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/30/20 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Also, Vandersloot nor Quigley got cored so I doubt they’re signing for the full max.

No reason that they can't be. And having not cored either one, the last thing you want to do is piss them off with a low-ball offer so they start considering other offers. I'd imagine years might be the main negotiating issue with them - Vandersloot is about to turn 31, and Quigley hits 34 during the season. You might give Sloot the absolute full boat if she wants it, but 4 years would surely be too much for Quigley.

Oh yeah, definitely not saying it can’t be done or is impossible. Just assuming on the outside looking in to keep everybody intact that they would be willing to consider a small discount. Not huge.

Ah okay, fair enough. Considering they're also the starting backcourt for UMMC at the moment, family Vanderquigs is probably doing okay for cash right now.

Had a stupid moment, again. Didn’t know if a player isn’t cored that they can’t sign for $215,000, only $185,000. Embarassed Laughing

So in that case, Vandersloot should definitely get max. A little unsure on Quigley.

PostPosted: 01/30/20 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Note: FGM=2PM in these eurobasket stats.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/30/20 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Had a stupid moment, again. Didn’t know if a player isn’t cored that they can’t sign for $215,000, only $185,000. Embarassed Laughing

So in that case, Vandersloot should definitely get max. A little unsure on Quigley.

I'm a little confused by which way round you now think it is Laughing , so thought I'd clarify. You can get the 'super-max' of 215k if you are any of:
1) Cored
2) A veteran with 6 years of WNBA experience signing with her prior team (only needs 5 years of experience from 2021 onwards)
3) Extending a rookie scale contract
4) Extending a contract if you're a vet with 6 years of experience and have been with your team for over a season

So Sloot and Quigley can both get up to 215k, as long as they're signing the deal with Chicago. As we're in the McCoughtry thread, just to make this on-topic, she can only sign for up to 215k with Atlanta. Her max anywhere else is 185k, unless the deal is done as a sign-and-trade where technically she'd be signing in Atlanta and then immediately moved somewhere else.

PostPosted: 01/30/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I'm a little confused by which way round you now think it is Laughing , so thought I'd clarify. You can get the 'super-max' of 215k if you are any of:
1) Cored
2) A veteran with 6 years of WNBA experience signing with her prior team (only needs 5 years of experience from 2021 onwards)
3) Extending a rookie scale contract
4) Extending a contract if you're a vet with 6 years of experience and have been with your team for over a season

So Sloot and Quigley can both get up to 215k, as long as they're signing the deal with Chicago. As we're in the McCoughtry thread, just to make this on-topic, she can only sign for up to 215k with Atlanta. Her max anywhere else is 185k, unless the deal is done as a sign-and-trade where technically she'd be signing in Atlanta and then immediately moved somewhere else.

Embarassed

Okay I quit talking, I’m done. Thanks for that clarification. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/30/20 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Richyyy. In a situation like Angel's - coring is not that important. Dream can pay up 30k more than other teams. I think that would be enough to erase any hard feeling she might have. And, by not coring her, it let's her find a team that wants her, maybe badly enough to want to do a SNT. (Long shot perhaps.) Also, if the best deal Angel gets offered is say 150 k, Dream could beat that if they wanted to for less than 215k. My guess is some team will offer Angel 185 k, but it may not be where she really wants to go.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/30/20 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's also 33 years old and might just want more of a chance to win. If that's your top priority, do you go back to Atlanta where your best teammates are Tiffany Hayes and, uh, Brittney Sykes? Jessica Breland? Or do you go to Vegas and play next to A'ja Wilson and (hopefully) Liz Cambage? Great players usually have great belief that they'll make teams good just by being there, but there's usually some level of recognition that you need help. There's likely to be more help almost anywhere other than Atlanta.

PostPosted: 01/30/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So basically the question turns into is angel McCoughtry worried about her pay? (I doubt it) or does she take a pay cut and chase a ring?

PostPosted: 01/30/20 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy, I don’t understand your rationale that they let McCoughtry go in the hopes of getting her a little cheaper.

ATL is currently spending about $750K for 9 players.
That means they have $550K to spend on 3 players.

Randy

PostPosted: 01/30/20 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They don't have to spend every penny - only up to the salary cap minimum. So they might want to go on the cheap (~$1.1 m v. $1.3 I believe.) I'm not saying Angel will be back - just that the Dream could make it more interesting for her to stay. May not be all about money - but then money talks.....

Shades

PostPosted: 01/30/20 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being cheap is not a good way to win.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/30/20 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could it be that Atlanta doesn't want Angel at any price?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/30/20 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It could mean that

I hate coring, but not coring Angel from the outside looks like a bad business move, unless you A) Don't think there is a viable trade out there for her at 215K and B) didn't want to end up paying her 215K and having her stay in Atlanta.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/31/20 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to wonder how Angel would do with Bill Laimbeer as her head coach. It could work wonderfully ... or not.

PostPosted: 02/02/20 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCoughtry did mention winning championships as a goal. Vegas?
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BJ23d2FdEzY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/02/20 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel in Vegas?

Plum
McBride
McCoughtry
Wilson
Cambage

Bench-J & T Young, Hamby etc.

Not bad at all

TigerVol

PostPosted: 02/02/20 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Could it be that Atlanta doesn't want Angel at any price?

That would surprise me. I'm sure they would prefer to have healthy and happy Angel.

My guess is it is large part practicality and some part perception.

Whatever weirdness went on between Atlanta and Angel would need to be cleansed to have a cohesive and successful season.

If Angel lands in Atlanta it needs to be because she made the decision to stay and feels valued.

Coring would do the opposite. We've seen unhappy Angel. It isn't good.

The organization doesn't need the PR that comes with they cored me but I won't play there drama. As discussed elsewhere the team probably wouldn't get much in return with a forced deal... Unless there was a bidding "war" between 2 acceptable locations. Practical.

This way the team gets to come off like the good guys - we want angel but we are doing the right thing by her. Perception.

But who knows. No inside info on what really happened last year or what the dream is planning with the roster long term - or how long their long term horizon actually is.

PostPosted: 02/02/20 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Makes sense to me. Could be a way for both side to kiss and make up.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/02/20 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I were a player choosing between Vegas & LA (if Angel ever gets to that point), with no particular concerns about fitting in with either team’s core roster pieces/coaching staff, I’d consider their taxes. Nevada is considered tax-friendly, without any state income tax. California is... not tax-friendly. (Not sure of the nuances within the actual cities)

Randy

PostPosted: 02/02/20 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington is a pretty tax friendly state (unless you drink a lot of liquor).

https://theevergrey.com/seattle-dollars-washington-nations-highest-tax-distilled-spirits/

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 02/03/20 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Washington is a pretty tax friendly state (unless you drink a lot of liquor).

https://theevergrey.com/seattle-dollars-washington-nations-highest-tax-distilled-spirits/

Ugh! No thank you. There's only one thing in the world that could get me to stop rooting for McCoughtry, and that's a Storm jersey. #HateHard

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: