RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

RIP Kobe Bryant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/25/20 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised the helicopter didn't have some sort of radar or other electronics to detect the ground and terrain in the vicinity.
tfan

PostPosted: 02/25/20 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I'm surprised the helicopter didn't have some sort of radar or other electronics to detect the ground and terrain in the vicinity.

That was recommended to be a retro-fitted requirement by the NTSB but the FAA chose not to follow that recommendation. Apparently they are trying to balance safety with cost - on luxury transportation.

But in this case, the early reported phrase that the helicopter “flew into a hill” (which I think came from a witness statement) wasn’t accurate. It should have been that the helicopter fell out of the sky and landed on a hill. The pilot said he was going to go up to get above the clouds and was at 2300 feet (only 100 feet from clear skies) and clear of any surrounding hills, but then the helicopter turned and descended at an increasing rate (the point of the crash was 1,085 feet) apparently out of control from the pilot becoming disoriented when he lost vision. The speed going forward was also increasing, which seems to reflect the blades being tilted more and more vertical, providing decreasing lift and increasing pull. A ground witness said the helicopter was tipped on its side before it crashed.

https://youtu.be/ZxjlgmHt7Wk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZxjlgmHt7Wk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/26/20 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She has more money, many times over, I’m sure, than the helicopter company. But this is an important lawsuit. Because this shit was just wrong. And whatever cavalier decision making process led to this outcome has to be rooted out from commercial helicopter service with the pain of financial calamity and measures taken to make sure this can never happen again.

It is pretty much always sunny with clear blue skies here. Even with all the equipment in the world these pilots would have little opportunity to become expert at using it all to fly under foggy conditions. AND it is very difficult to perform many standard common helicopter maneuvers like hovering or flying very slow by instruments alone. Even for experts at doing exactly that. So yeah, sue the fuck out of them, Vanessa.

PostPosted: 02/26/20 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno Auriemma's speech at the memorial was wonderful.

Anyone who has watched Kobe for years has seen the many sides of Bryant.

Kobe Bryant the father, was his best look. I'm glad that side of Kobe was addressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf4VNKtTG1I

PostPosted: 02/28/20 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Report: Los Angeles deputies shared Kobe Bryant crash photos

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- Authorities are investigating whether deputies shared graphic photos of the helicopter crash scene where Kobe Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter and seven other people were killed, according to a newspaper report.

The Los Angeles Times reported that a public safety source with knowledge of the events had seen one of the photos on the phone of another official in a setting that was not related to the investigation of the crash. He said the photos showed the scene and victims' remains.

The source spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the allegations. Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Maria Lucero told The Associated Press on Friday that "the matter is being looked into.''

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28801665/report-los-angeles-deputies-shared-kobe-bryant-crash-photos

PostPosted: 04/04/20 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=28995014&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe></embed>

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28995014

PostPosted: 08/24/22 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those who haven't been following this, the behavior of some of the first responders in showing photos of the deceased at parties was pretty disgusting.

Quote:
After more than three hours of deliberation, a federal jury awarded $31 million in damages after finding the Los Angeles County Sheriff and Fire Departments liable for infringing on the constitutional rights of Vanessa Bryant and co-plaintiff Christopher Chester, who each lost a spouse and daughter in the helicopter crash in January 2020. Bryant was awarded $16 million in damages and Chris Chester was awarded $15 million.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/24/us/vanessa-bryant-la-county-trial/index.html

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/25/22 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know when I go to parties, I usually spend the whole time waiting, hoping desperately that someone will finally break out the dead body pics.

WTF.

PostPosted: 08/25/22 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I know when I go to parties, I usually spend the whole time waiting, hoping desperately that someone will finally break out the dead body pics.

WTF.

Well, technically it was an awards banquet after-party. You're clearly going to the wrong parties. Apparently it was common practice for LE to share gory victim photos for their own entertainment. "We do that all the time so there's nothing wrong with it."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: