RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/19/20 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum started 30 games last season. That's the same number as Cambage. Did Liz also come off the bench "most of the season"?

PostPosted: 02/19/20 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Plum started 30 games last season. That's the same number as Cambage. Did Liz also come off the bench "most of the season"?

Yeah, it looks like he overstated that. Maybe it’s a Freudian slip of where he thinks she’s headed this season.

Plum only started 3 of 5 playoff games. I don’t remember her being injured, so does that indicate anything?

The real question is what happens to Plum with the additions of DRob and McCoughtry on the perimeter? Is Plum still starting material for Vegas?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 02/19/20 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The real question is what happens to Plum with the additions of DRob and McCoughtry on the perimeter? Is Plum still starting material for Vegas?

My guess is Jackie Young gets bumped to the bench and Robinson takes the Sydney Colson role.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum was playing better when coming off the bench and gave the team a needed kick. Not starting wasn't a demotion.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Plum was playing better when coming off the bench and gave the team a needed kick. Not starting wasn't a demotion.

The team was 2-2 with her coming off the bench.

#NATC

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum looked better on the ball, instead of off, IMO.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If playoff plum shows up i dont see D-Rob having a starting spot ahead of her. Thats a Big IF though .

PostPosted: 02/19/20 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vegas will need her outside shooting to open things up for Angel, Wilson and Cambage

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/20/20 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
@LVAces

The Aces have signed @Musinka4 to our Training Camp Roster.

PostPosted: 02/20/20 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Las Vegas Signs Russian National Team Forward/Center Raisa Musina To Training Camp Contract

https://aces.wnba.com/news/las-vegas-signs-russian-national-team-forward-center-raisa-musina-to-training-camp-contract/

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/20/20 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Vegas will need her outside shooting to open things up for Angel, Wilson and Cambage

yeah, you need to have at least two shooters to keep the middle from being totally clogged up by the defense against all the drivers.

but since they're loading up on non-shooters, it will be hard to make that happen if you don't have anybody on the bench that can shoot either.

if your second team is DRob, the Youngs, Hamby, random C - where's the offense outside of 12' coming from? That's why I think you have to mix and match.

- Amanda Gorman
stever

PostPosted: 02/20/20 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ISHvEHn1ANY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/20/20 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course, the highlights don't illustrate that she shot 32% from the field in that tournament. I'm still not really sure whether she's actually good. She barely plays for UMMC against good teams because she's something like their 11th woman. There's raw talent there but whether she'd actually produce against decent opposition given consistent minutes I have no idea.

I'm sure she's very well paid to sit on the bench in EuroLeague and beat up on crappier teams in the Russian League, but she really needs to get out of UMMC to grow as a player. Needs to go somewhere she'd actually play.

PostPosted: 02/20/20 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Quote:
@LVAces

The Aces have signed @Musinka4 to our Training Camp Roster.

Musina can take Park's spot on the roster if she's not showing up.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/20/20 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Musina can take Park's spot on the roster. End.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/20/20 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

I can’t really see her as a WNBA center, especially in a Laimbeer system. She’s 40 pounds lighter than Park. She’s more of a third PF or weak option at SF.

But she’s cheap and she’s on a training camp contract, so she’s worth a look. Not a guarantee to make the roster by any means.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/21/20 4:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

yeah, you need to have at least two shooters to keep the middle from being totally clogged up by the defense against all the drivers.

but since they're loading up on non-shooters, it will be hard to make that happen if you don't have anybody on the bench that can shoot either.

if your second team is DRob, the Youngs, Hamby, random C - where's the offense outside of 12' coming from? That's why I think you have to mix and match.

Yeah i agree its an odd line-up. Im a big fan of shooters so i dont get it. Maybe they want to run other teams off the floor with their bench line-up? Maybe they are going to play Angel a good portion with the bench and focus on fast offense in transistion?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/21/20 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I can’t really see her as a WNBA center, especially in a Laimbeer system. She’s 40 pounds lighter than Park. She’s more of a third PF or weak option at SF.

But she’s cheap and she’s on a training camp contract, so she’s worth a look. Not a guarantee to make the roster by any means.

Understood. However, when Park was drafted, it was obvious she was going to be a project, and she really hasn't developed. If anything, she regressed in her second year and didn't contribute much. Maybe she'd flourish somewhere else. Now if Cambage is MIA this year, that's another story.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/21/20 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Las Vegas Aces General Manager Dan Padover On A Crazy Week Of WNBA Free Agency

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendonkleen/2020/02/19/las-vegas-aces-general-manager-dan-padover-crazy-week-wnba-free-agency/#7d8521d91f2d

Quote:
“For anything like this to work with a player of Angel’s magnitude, both sides have to take a strong, hard look at it and say, ‘We’re OK with this,’” says Padover. “She’s at a stage in her career where I don’t think she’s worried about scoring 20 every night — she just wants to win.”

Two schools of thought on that. Thought 1 is that Angel has always been the dominant scorer, shooter and playmaker on her teams. I've been on record as being skeptical as to how willing she would be to take a back seat at times, particularly in a more post oriented offense. However, thought 2 is that Angel has always been really, really good at moving without the ball. She is generally speaking very active in her cuts and movements even when she doesn't have the basketball. That could actually play extremely well in a Laimbeer offense that will likely provide her the opportunity not only to make those baseline cuts that she excels at, but also to get some easy backdoor opportunities. Angel can also post up with some effectiveness, another positive trait in a Laimbeer offense. If asked to bring the ball up and be a playmaker, she can do some of that too.

It may just turn out that an Angel/Laimbeer union is exactly what she needed at this stage of her career. When people were speculating that Angel to NY would be intriguing, I didn't love the fit. Especially since NY is looking to spread out the floor and has a focus on youth. LV was probably the best fit she could have gotten, both for team need and for Angel's actual fit within their structure.

Angel and Liz on the same team though. Man this team is sure going to be unlikable.

PostPosted: 02/21/20 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Cambage/McCoughtry chemistry will be interesting because they're polar opposites in terms of on-court personality. Angel is intense and driven. Liz is decidedly not. Angel has gotten the best from undermotivated teammates before, but is Dizzy Lizzy too big of a challenge?

PostPosted: 02/21/20 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Cambage/McCoughtry chemistry will be interesting because they're polar opposites in terms of on-court personality. Angel is intense and driven. Liz is decidedly not. Angel has gotten the best from undermotivated teammates before, but is Dizzy Lizzy too big of a challenge?

Oh my god this team is going to be whiny.

PostPosted: 02/22/20 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rest of the Chinese League season is postponed indefinitely because of the coronavirus. The way things are going, I doubt they'll resume. Does anyone know if the players are getting paid? On the one hand, they're not earning their money but on the other hand, it's not their fault. I doubt there's anything specific in their contracts about a national health crisis. I suppose it depends on some vague, general catch-all clause. However, if the players aren't getting paid, it could make a difference in their decision-making. Cambage is usually dismissive of her WNBA salary, but if she's missing a big chunk of change from China, then all of a sudden that WNBA money starts looking like a necessity. Even someone like Tina Charles who usually gives away at least 50% of her WNBA salary may decide that this year charity starts at home.

PostPosted: 02/22/20 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This could be a force-majeure type event covered in the contract.

I wonder if the foreign players will have difficulty in getting out of the country. Travel has been greatly restricted. I don't think US airlines are flying there anymore.

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/22/20 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Chinese League shut down in early January so the National Team could prepare for Olympic Qualifiers. Foreign players either went home or joined their national teams. I don't think anyone ever went back to China so travel is not an issue.

PostPosted: 02/24/20 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/aces/aces-center-carolyn-swords-retires-to-join-teams-business-staff-1964898/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Carolyn Swords is indeed retiring and joining the Aces’ front office.

As an aside, the Aces’ Twitter account just retweeted an Epiphanny Prince highlight clip from EuroLeague. Could it be a sign that she’ll be re-signing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 6 of 17

Jump to: