RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who Are The Three Most Overrated Players on 20@20?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/18/19 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually feel just the opposite ...

If Parker hadn't gone to Tennessee, wasn't as attractive, wasn't fawned over by the media, I think she would be more highly respected.

She's a really, really, really good player, and if not in the Hall of Fame, in the Hall of Excellent.

PostPosted: 09/19/19 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebecca Lobo / Asjha Jones

PostPosted: 09/19/19 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Neither of whom are on the list?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/19/19 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Didn't read the topic of 20@20 sorry . Just a period thing with me lol

PostPosted: 09/19/19 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Didn't read the topic of 20@20 sorry . Just a period thing with me lol

They should have been on the list so that this would be an easier question to answer and you would have right. Smile

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/19/19 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spoon, by a big margin is the worst. Then, it's close among Cash, Nolan and Hammon.
FemmeFatale

PostPosted: 09/20/19 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*Hides behind cover* Sue Bird.

In all seriousness, what has she accomplished when she's not paired with an all-time/future all-time great? People give her so much credit and I just don't get it.

adamj95

PostPosted: 09/20/19 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FemmeFatale wrote:

In all seriousness, what has she accomplished when she's not paired with an all-time/future all-time great? People give her so much credit and I just don't get it.

Why should she be penalized for having equally great teammates?

PostPosted: 09/20/19 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FemmeFatale wrote:

In all seriousness, what has she accomplished when she's not paired with an all-time/future all-time great?

The same thing that Taurasi, Moore, Whalen, Augustus, Thompson, Cooper, Pondexter, and Swoopes have accomplished.

#NATC

PostPosted: 09/20/19 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it's pretty hard for an individual to achieve the ultimate success in basketball without a lot of help. Tamika Catchings is probably the closest thing we've seen to doing it. (cue SpaceJunkie)

PostPosted: 09/21/19 4:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
FemmeFatale wrote:

In all seriousness, what has she accomplished when she's not paired with an all-time/future all-time great?

The same thing that Taurasi, Moore, Whalen, Augustus, Thompson, Cooper, Pondexter, and Swoopes have accomplished.

And some of those that are mentioned had multiple all time greats with them on the team... So mentioning Sue is just Rolling Eyes

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/21/19 4:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we're asking that question we also need to ask what these current and future all time greats would have accomplished without Bird Wink

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/21/19 4:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus, as a PG I would argue it's more likely that Bird elevated the greatness of her teammates more than her teammates elevated her's.

PostPosted: 09/21/19 4:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
If we're asking that question we also need to ask what these current and future all time greats would have accomplished without Bird Wink

Lol, same thought at the same time.

PostPosted: 09/22/19 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Weatherspoon, Penicheiro and Cash are the three that should for sure be removed on a Top 25 at 25.

Hammon belongs. Although she had a slower start to her career than others, she had a 10-year stretch (2003-2012) where her average line was 29.1 GP, 32.4 MIN, 15.9 PTS, 43.6 FG%, 37.9 3P%, 91.1 FT%, 4.8 AST, 3.0 REB, 1.3 STL and 3.4 TOV. Some may point to the high turnovers, but Hammon is one of the most efficient scorers we've seen, much more so than most of the other guards on the list.

Career TS%
Cooper .610
Hammon .590
Taurasi .586
Smith .554
Whalen .551
Bird .544
Augustus .544
Pondexter .519
Nolan .507
Weatherspoon .495
Penicheiro .461

Howee

PostPosted: 09/22/19 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<sigh....!>

Okay, stats matter. Rolling Eyes

I don't know all the criteria for 'making' the list, but there ARE so many intangibles that shouldn't be overlooked (in the event they were....). I'd think simple Fan Appeal/Growing The Base oughtta factor in. Parker and Hammon both brought that, big time, so "shame on you!", you Parker/Hammon detractors. Razz

And how do you factor in Consistent Guts!? Rebekkah Brunson comes to mind. Or PRODUCTIVE longevity? T.A.J.!!!! Cool

I just can't take these lists too literally.

PostPosted: 09/22/19 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty hard for an individual to achieve the ultimate success in basketball without a lot of help. Tamika Catchings is probably the closest thing we've seen to doing it.

And she still doesn't get enough credit for the stupidly fucking amazing things she achieved despite that. How many times have Taurasi's teams over the years dropped to utterly mediocre when she didnt have oodles of help? Catchings kept her teams much more consistently very, very good, made the playoffs in 12 straight seasons, and had a run of winning 20+ games in 7 of 8 years. All with how many genuine all-star calibre teammates? Maybe two? And yet who's the player we have to endlessly see being showered with goat emojis?

Sorry, that was largely off-topic. Taurasi and Catchings are both gonna keep appearing on these anniversary teams for as long as they keep picking them.

PostPosted: 09/22/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
Weatherspoon, Penicheiro and Cash are the three that should for sure be removed on a Top 25 at 25.

If you think there will be eight new players to add

PostPosted: 09/22/19 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
RP wrote:

If you think there will be eight new players to add

Delle Donne, Fowles, Griner, N.Ogwumike, McCoughtry, Charles, Vandersloot, Stewart?

By no means saying they're all dead certs, but I could see people making the argument for any and all of them. And there's always a chance that someone like Penny Taylor who was left off the last list gets back in despite having been retired throughout the interim.

PostPosted: 09/22/19 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FemmeFatale wrote:

I take it you're holding those post Jackson/pre-Stewart seasons against her when she was the best player on those teams. To her credit, she has been the common denominator and the floor general for those all of the Storm championships with different rosters She has stepped in the playoff games that the Storm probably would have lost if she didn't.

flojojr2007

PostPosted: 09/22/19 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spoon & Cash.... then Ticha even though I love her.

Am I reading people really calling Parker overrated??
justintyme

PostPosted: 09/22/19 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

flojojr2007 wrote:

Well, the players of the WNBA did, so I'm not shocked that fans would as well.

Personally, I think it depends on how you look at it. I think some of the pushback from players and fans comes from how she is spoken about from a media perspective. Sometimes it feels like the way she is spoken about she should be one of the top 5 players of all time. Yet, I would rank her somewhere around 10-15.

So, she isn't overrated in such a way that she doesn't belong on this list, or is a borderline player on this list like some of the others, but rather if we ranked the 20@20 from 1-20 she would be lower on a lot of people's lists than what we think the league/media would have put her at if they had done so.

PostPosted: 09/22/19 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of people (including players who have never played with her) don't like her.

But I wouldn't say she's overrated in any sense. The media fawns over a lot of players other than Candace. When healthy, she's still one of the best in the world and has been for a while.

But anyway, I grudgingly gave my three lol
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/22/19 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
flojojr2007 wrote:

Well, the players of the WNBA did, so I'm not shocked that fans would as well.

Personally, I think it depends on how you look at it. I think some of the pushback from players and fans comes from how she is spoken about from a media perspective. Sometimes it feels like the way she is spoken about she should be one of the top 5 players of all time. Yet, I would rank her somewhere around 10-15.

So, she isn't overrated in such a way that she doesn't belong on this list, or is a borderline player on this list like some of the others, but rather if we ranked the 20@20 from 1-20 she would be lower on a lot of people's lists than what we think the league/media would have put her at if they had done so.

This is it, chief.

There aren't twenty players in the history of the WNBA better than Candace Parker. That being said, to echo a sentiment I have expressed about Maya Moore, in the past... it is possible to be one of the best players ever, and still be overrated. The above bolded text is my cite.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/22/19 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FemmeFatale wrote:

This post is relevant to my interests. #Compiler

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: