RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who Are The Three Most Overrated Players on 20@20?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 09/17/19 8:55 pm    ::: Who Are The Three Most Overrated Players on 20@20? Reply Reply with quote

Of the best in the history of the league at the point of 2016, who are your three most overrated players? There's no way I would leave it to just one choice. I can't do "Spoon" like that.

Seimone Augustus
Sue Bird
Swin Cash
Tamika Catchings
Cynthia Cooper-Dyke
Yolanda Griffith
Becky Hammon
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Maya Moore
Deanna Nolan
Candace Parker
Ticha Penicheiro
Cappie Pondexter
Katie Smith
Sheryl Swoopes
Diana Taurasi
Tina Thompson
Teresa Weatherspoon
Lindsay Whalen

PostPosted: 09/17/19 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I had to pick three, I’d say Spoon, Hammon, and Cash.

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/17/19 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spoon, Cash, Pondexter

PostPosted: 09/17/19 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spoon, Cash, and Hammon.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/17/19 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spoon and Cash for sure. #3 is really hard if you consider them when they were at the top of their games. I would probably give it to Pondexter. She was one of the earlier super guards, but there are guards today just as good as she was in her prime. I think Hammon was always underrated - she did some pretty amazing things. Ticha was pretty one-dimensional, but certainly special in that dimension. I actually think Whalen was over-rated, but she was such a bulldog and it helped that she had really good players around her.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 09/18/19 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pondexter was better than Tweety Nolan. Cappie's FG%, 3P%, FT% are all better. Cappie's ATO is better. Cappie didn't quit when adversity came.

Spoon, Nolan, Parker are the overrated trio.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Spoon and Cash for sure. #3 is really hard if you consider them when they were at the top of their games. I would probably give it to Pondexter. She was one of the earlier super guards, but there are guards today just as good as she was in her prime.

Who do you think are some of today's guards that are better than Cappie was in, say 2010, for example? I'm trying to think of some, but nobody is coming to mind. That stat line was pretty incredible, and her offensive game was so versatile, including that killer step-back jumper. I know the popular opinion is that it was unmerited, but she did make all defensive team one year as well, so at the very least, she couldn't have been that bad on the other end of the floor. Laughing

Genero36

PostPosted: 09/18/19 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Okay. You gave us your reasons for Nolan. What is it about the two-time MVP that you find overrated?

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Okay. You gave us your reasons for Nolan. What is it about the two-time MVP that you find overrated?

She didn't deserve either of those MVPs. She's a media darling, and they consistently place her higher than she should be. They placed her 5th in 2015 when she missed most of the season.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

She didn't deserve either of those MVPs. She's a media darling, and they consistently place her higher than she should be. They placed her 5th in 2015 when she missed most of the season.

Now, I have to go look back at those seasons and see the vote tally. lol.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Who was your 2008 MVP? Whalen?

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Ghod no, I would never give MVP to someone on a team with a losing record.

That was the year for a PG to win it, though. It should have gone to Sue Bird. She kept the Storm afloat through LoJack's injury.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

That was the year for a PG to win it, though. It should have gone to Sue Bird. She kept the Storm afloat through LoJack's injury.

Pilight hasn’t had his coffee this morning, the Sun won 21 games in 2008.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

That was before the trade, wasn't it

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

That was before the trade, wasn't it

I’m lost now. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Weatherspoon and Penechiero are always the easy choices for me. Regardless of whatever else they could do, both were either unable or unwilling to add scoring to their game. If you can't do that, you aren't one of the top players. Full stop.

Swin Cash had a couple of greats seasons, but was most just very good. Olympic team politics aside, did she really have a better career than contemporaries like Katie Douglas or Penny Taylor? Were her highs really better than the highs of says, Alana Beard or Chamique Holdsclaw? In 2016, did she really add up to more than six years of Tina Charles?

At some point, I wonder how much it matters to these kinds of discussions that Cynthia Cooper only had 4 seasons.

Genero36

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Weatherspoon and Penechiero are always the easy choices for me. Regardless of whatever else they could do, both were either unable or unwilling to add scoring to their game. If you can't do that, you aren't one of the top players. Full stop.

Swin Cash had a couple of greats seasons, but was most just very good. Olympic team politics aside, did she really have a better career than contemporaries like Katie Douglas or Penny Taylor? Were her highs really better than the highs of says, Alana Beard or Chamique Holdsclaw? In 2016, did she really add up to more than six years of Tina Charles?

At some point, I wonder how much it matters to these kinds of discussions that Cynthia Cooper only had 4 seasons.

Much as I hate to downgrade my favorite player, I have to agree that Ticha does not belong on the list -- and of course, neither does Weatherspoon.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cynthia Cooper I think will always make a "greatest of" WNBA list--not only because she was that dominant when she played, but because she was so important to the league in its infancy.

Cappie Pondexter may still be the greatest one-on-one player the league ever had, at her prime.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/18/19 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Spoon and Cash are obvious choices. Then you can make a case for Cappie, Ticha, Hammon, and Nolan for the third spot. Do their names belong on the list with Bird, Leslie, Cooper, Catchings, et al?

Genero36

PostPosted: 09/18/19 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bbsamjj wrote:
Cynthia Cooper I think will always make a "greatest of" WNBA list--not only because she was that dominant when she played, but because she was so important to the league in its infancy.

Cappie Pondexter may still be the greatest one-on-one player the league ever had, at her prime.

Although this is about the WNBA, I think her international brilliance in what were the most competitive women leagues in the world before the WNBA/ABL helps support her greatness. Especially, since she was past her prime during the inception of the WNBA.

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w2_FrNC016E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2_FrNC016E

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZJI12TttIKE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJI12TttIKE

PostPosted: 09/18/19 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker is hella overrated. Yeah, she has skills, but it seems like an open ended question. No doubt in my mind that people rank her way higher than she is, in general, just because of her looks and she's a diva. If she were, say Tina Charles or Sylvia Fowles, we all see how they've gotten treated over the years..underrated.

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/18/19 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Oh come on now. I love a good PG, but neither Whalen nor Bird...

cOUld eVer PlaY aLL fiVe PosITiOns!

PostPosted: 09/18/19 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Parker is hella overrated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: