PostPosted: 02/14/20 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Sloot/Colson
Quigley/Copper
Deshields/Williams
Stevens/Lavender
Dolson/Ch. Parker

pick 8 and something

It's not a super team but I wouldn't sleep on Chicago they seem pretty deep and flexible if their youth (Deshields, Stevens, Gabby) take another step forward and their star guards and role players do their jobs could be a pretty successful team.

I'm still thinking they take a post at #8. Both Lavender & Stevens were injured last season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/20 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3qL2mjHVWbI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/14/20 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I did say she needed a fresh start. Hopefully Jamierra can get both her mind and body right this summer. Lord knows she's been through a lot the past 4-5 years since the first ACL tear.

toad455 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Sloot/Colson
Quigley/Copper
Deshields/Williams
Stevens/Lavender
Dolson/Ch. Parker

pick 8 and something

It's not a super team but I wouldn't sleep on Chicago they seem pretty deep and flexible if their youth (Deshields, Stevens, Gabby) take another step forward and their star guards and role players do their jobs could be a pretty successful team.

I'm still thinking they take a post at #8. Both Lavender & Stevens were injured last season.

At this point, they'll most likely take BPA, which could also be a guard. I have to wonder if Chicago's now done making outside moves and only going to be doing re-signings until the draft. I still don't foresee Chicago taking a step forward in 2020, but maybe Stevens replacing Ndour + an actually useful first-round pick does the trick.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/14/20 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Well, I did say she needed a fresh start. Hopefully Jamierra can get both her mind and body right this summer. Lord knows she's been through a lot the past 4-5 years since the first ACL tear.

toad455 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Sloot/Colson
Quigley/Copper
Deshields/Williams
Stevens/Lavender
Dolson/Ch. Parker

pick 8 and something

At this point, they'll most likely take BPA, which could also be a guard. I have to wonder if Chicago's now done making outside moves and only going to be doing re-signings until the draft. I still don't foresee Chicago taking a step forward in 2020, but maybe Stevens replacing Ndour + an actually useful first-round pick does the trick.

No one predicted that the Sky would take a step forward in 2019 and look what happen. The dynamic that will determine the fortune for every team is to avoid any serious injury to key players. Confused

Last edited by Rock Hard on 02/14/20 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 02/14/20 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know why I'm so bummed about Ndour but I am. Sad And I think it's a mistake.

Don't get all the hype about Copper; too inconsistent. Maybe this will be her breakout year (but I doubt it).

I can live with Stevens if she gets her mojo back from her rookie year--I think she was showing some promise.

Now I'm bummed about Faulkner! I was concerned she would get cut but...that girl has gone through a lot! I am proud of her sticking around all this time as a third round pick! I remember so vividly in her rookie year when she filled in for an injured Sloot and scored 27 points! And last season, when she checked in during a home game, the place went wild! Really going to miss her.

Samuelson? Girl, bye! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ChiSky54 on 02/14/20 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 02/14/20 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

+1 + 1 They had 3 All stars last year and didn’t make the final four in a down year 🤷‍♀️

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/14/20 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Samuelson Girl Bye Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/14/20 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I attended the Sky draft party, and the videographer wanted to get a big reaction from the crowd when our first pick was announced. Well, he got one, but not the one he was looking for! Laughing There was a big "WHAAAAAAAAAAT??!!!?" I don't follow WCBB but other folks did based on conversations before the pick, so I knew it was a bad idea.

There were rumors that they hoped she would be the next GWH. They picked her to have a custom "Katie Lou Who?" t-shirt (is that a UConn thing or jut an attempt to be cute?) and a custom jersey in stock at the Sky Store. I see the prices are already reduced...

Yeah, she showed some promise and it's unfortunate that she was injured. When her mom went off about her lack of playing time, Wade blew her off, and I guess, even though it was kinda harsh how she was traded without her knowledge, I think it was the right move.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
There were rumors that they hoped she would be the next GWH. They picked her to have a custom "Katie Lou Who?" t-shirt (is that a UConn thing or jut an attempt to be cute?)

Isn't that a Dr. Seuss reference?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/14/20 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am thrilled that the Sky have aquired Stevens! I can live with the Colson signing. I was a big fan of hers when she played at Texas A&M. What I don't like is that the Sky gave up a first round pick and Samuelson for Stevens. What was wrong with a direct swap of N'dour for Stevens? Confused
I will answer my own question. Maybe Wade belives that Chicago will finish the 2020 season with a better record than Phoenix. Thereby the Phoenix first round pick will be higher than the Sky's first round pick. Wink

PostPosted: 02/15/20 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Maybe Wade believes that Chicago will finish the 2020 season with a better record than Phoenix. Thereby the Phoenix first round pick will be higher than the Sky's first round pick. Wink

It's possible Smile Especially if Wade can outcoach Brondello in their head-to-head matchups (at this point I give the coaching advantage to him & Chicago anyway).

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 02/15/20 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay...I'm confused Confused

What does Phoenix's pick have to do with the Dallas pick the Sky included in the deal? Maybe I'm just having a brain fart.

Maybe Colson will find a home with the Sky after so much bouncing around like Allie did. Right now, I'm underwhelmed, but I'll trust Rock on that one! Should I do that? Smile

Re: KLS' t-shirt, I found this reference from this website that does custom shirts https://breakingt.com/products/katie-lou-who
Who is Chicago's next great athlete? Katie Lou Samuelson of course.

Cindy Lou Who was in Dr. Seuss, but it still may have been a play on that.

It's a shame actually that KLS didn't work out based on Wade's explanation in May on why he picked her:

...Wade envisioned her playing either role in the pick-and-roll and fitting in anywhere from 2 to 4 on the floor.

"She gives us an added dimension we didn't have," Wade says. "I felt like if we had taken a player from another position, it would have been a position we had. It probably would have stunted the growth of that young player. In order for all our players to grow, including her, she was the best fit."...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837407-katie-lou-samuelson-has-some-unfinished-business

So clearly things went south in light of how it ended so abruptly.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
Okay...I'm confused Confused

What does Phoenix's pick have to do with the Dallas pick the Sky included in the deal? Maybe I'm just having a brain fart.

Chicago got Phoenix's 2021 1st from Dallas in the Ndour deal, then sent their own 2021 1st to Dallas in the Samuelson/Stevens deal. So 2021 1sts basically went in both directions between the same teams, but they were different picks. Hence the comparison. So it's especially in their interest to be better than Phoenix in the 2020 season.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah, okay--thanks!

PostPosted: 02/15/20 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

James you really trying to make yourself something huh 🙄

This place is becoming the boneyard coaches should focus on their teams and not their egos.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/15/20 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I am thrilled that the Sky have aquired Stevens! I can live with the Colson signing. I was a big fan of hers when she played at Texas A&M. What I don't like is that the Sky gave up a first round pick and Samuelson for Stevens. What was wrong with a direct swap of N'dour for Stevens? Confused
I will answer my own question. Maybe Wade belives that Chicago will finish the 2020 season with a better record than Phoenix. Thereby the Phoenix first round pick will be higher than the Sky's first round pick. Wink

I thought it much too. We'll have to see how these two players progress, as both were not 100% healthy their first year.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/15/20 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:

It's a shame actually that KLS didn't work out based on Wade's explanation in May on why he picked her:

...Wade envisioned her playing either role in the pick-and-roll and fitting in anywhere from 2 to 4 on the floor.

"She gives us an added dimension we didn't have," Wade says. "I felt like if we had taken a player from another position, it would have been a position we had. It probably would have stunted the growth of that young player. In order for all our players to grow, including her, she was the best fit."...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837407-katie-lou-samuelson-has-some-unfinished-business

So clearly things went south in light of how it ended so abruptly.

I think this just looks like he's trying to justify picking her, not that he was so hot to have her.

At any rate, I think you should be pleased to get Azure.

- Amanda Gorman
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/15/20 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
even though it was kinda harsh how she was traded without her knowledge, I think it was the right move.

Yikes! Never a good feeling I can assume

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 02/15/20 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
Re: KLS' t-shirt, I found this reference from this website that does custom shirts https://breakingt.com/products/katie-lou-who
Who is Chicago's next great athlete? Katie Lou Samuelson of course.

Cindy Lou Who was in Dr. Seuss, but it still may have been a play on that.

"May have been"? You can't possibly think that it was entirely a coincidence, can you?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
stever

PostPosted: 02/15/20 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Kahleah Copper Returns to Chicago, Re-Signs With Sky

https://sky.wnba.com/news/kahleah-copper-returns-to-chicago-re-signs-with-sky/

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/16/20 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
@howardmegdal

Two years, $165,000 apiece, full protection for @kahleahcopper, I can report. #WNBAFreeAgency Nice upside value on that one, @coachjameswade

PostPosted: 02/16/20 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alternate perspective Wink:

Quote:
@RichardCohen1

If Player X has had 4yrs to prove herself, stayed healthy, and consistently only earned 15mpg while shooting 41% for 7p/2r/1a and a PER of 11 - *and* your team already has a star at her natural spot- how excited are you to keep her at approaching max money? #wnba #WNBAFreeAgency

PostPosted: 02/16/20 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Alternate perspective Wink:

Quote:
@RichardCohen1

If Player X has had 4yrs to prove herself, stayed healthy, and consistently only earned 15mpg while shooting 41% for 7p/2r/1a and a PER of 11 - *and* your team already has a star at her natural spot- how excited are you to keep her at approaching max money? #wnba #WNBAFreeAgency

I was waiting on ya. Laughing

But yeah, from purely a raw stats perspective, paying $165K for that production may not be the smartest thing to do. The only way I can justify is looking at Copper’s intangibles and hope that there is still some upside/untapped potential.

PostPosted: 02/16/20 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is also possible other teams were offering her something similar so her agent said something like "copper wants to stay in Chicago were getting some offers around 175k what can you do since she would rather not sign an offer sheet if Chicago will come correct with a decent offer "

Maybe Chicago threatens to match and say go ahead sign an offer sheet or maybe Chicago just puts up a decent offer but saves 20k below max.

There was a report that multiple teams were interested.I am sure if you extrapolate Coppers numbers out to 30 minutes they look ok and she is a good defender and a good fit in Chicago and a nice counter point to Quiglry at the 2 spot

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/16/20 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm by no means saying that it can't work out. She's still still young, and she and DeShields could easily play on the perimeter next to each other (and Quigley has to age out at some point). She's certainly got the physical tools. Just pointing out that the love for her in some places isn't really warranted by the production in her first four seasons (which is a pretty significant sample size, as these things go).

Also, when reports come out that "hundreds of teams are fighting over Free Agent X!" it's always worth remembering that the source is often that player's agent. That said, if Copper can at least continue to look like she might break out with more opportunity, signing her could have value as a trade piece.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: