RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 09/15/19 4:02 pm    ::: Seattle Storm 2020 Reply Reply with quote

2019 was interesting, as injuries led to opportunities for other players to develop (Clark, Canada, Russell, Whitcomb, etc), which was expected, but they still did well enough to make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs! Shocked

Should SEA make no adjustments and just try again next year with the same team, plus Bird and Stewart? Before the injuries, they were long on odds to beat the soon-to-be perennial superteam favorites like LVA, CON, perhaps LA... Have they developed enough to be a favorite themselves? Question

The world wonders... Idea

Storm 2020
    PG: Bird/Canada
    SG: Loyd/Whitcomb
    SF: Clark/
    PF: Stewart/
    C: Howard/Russell

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/15/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They need to find at least one good vet FA.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 09/15/19 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
They need to find at least one good vet FA.

They'll be a title contender with Stewart & Bird back, so I'm sure there will be a veteran looking for a ring next season. Plus they get Ezi Magbegor & their first-round pick(#7 pick). Langhorne, Dietrick, Paris & KML should be gone.

SF: Clark/#7 pick/Zellous?
PF: Stewart/Magbegor
C: Howard/Russell/free agent?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/15/19 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the Olys, not sure they will get Megbagor. But also Tokashiki is possible

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 09/15/19 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
With the Olys, not sure they will get Megbagor. But also Tokashiki is possible

Japan's in the Olympics(& hosting). I doubt Tokashiki shows up.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/15/19 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah. so Plan C for that 4th post.

- Amanda Gorman
Force10rulz

PostPosted: 09/15/19 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Proud of our Storm this year, we did more then anyone thought. Can’t wait for next year. We gonna be on 🔥

PostPosted: 09/15/19 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
With the Olys, not sure they will get Megbagor.

Yeah they will. The only way I see her not coming is if PHX cans Brondello, and then she’s available for full Opal camps and wants players to attend.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/15/19 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully Stevie returns to MVP form. Bird probably has 1 good year left so this should be interesting to see how they utilize both players next season.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SF: Clark/KML
PF: Howard/Langhorne/Magbegor
C: Stewart/Russell

And the 7th Pick would be the 12th player - if Valavanis and Hughes don't make any real changes, which is very possible.
Still, I said on the Dallas 2020 thread that I think KML's time here has run its course, in which the Wings, Atlanta, Phoenix, and others could use her shooting. A problem of KML that hasn't been discussed much here: she's not really a SG or a SF. Much like Asia Taylor when it comes to being a SF or a PF, she's neither, as opposed to both. That definitely bogs down whatever upside she'd have on another team. I like Langhorne, and it's been said she's a good locker room presence, but her time has also run its course imo. I really respect how she's moving her game towards the perimeter - she has struggled finishing in the post all season, something she's never had trouble with - but 31% from 3 still isn't going to get it done. So, speaking of Phoenix, they'd also be a good trade partner if we wanted to give away Langhorne. They're still trying to be a contender, but two of their veteran PFs just retired. I'd trade Langhorne for one of their 2nd-rounders. And Langhorne's contract at least isn't guaranteed, so if things don't work for whatever team she's on next year, the team can cut her with the option of bringing her back for cheaper (doubtful another team would pick her up off waivers). Ok so few people read long comments like these in their entirety so I'm just gonna sneak this in here that we should find out what Howard's trade value is, as I might get crucified otherwise if I'm too loud. I like Russell starting and Howard's too good to bring off the bench; plus I don't want any future drama she might bring off the court. Live I've said before, my takes are always hottest with my own team lol. It's not gonna happen unless a team like Dallas with many assets and a need for a Howard-like post player will really bite. Anyways I'd like to use that 7th Pick on a post player even if we bring back everyone (besides Paris), as I've learned in this league: When in doubt, go big. The problem is, no one good will probably be there at 7 except probably Alarie, but we already have many mobile posts on this team. Thus, I could see us trading the pick for one good player or two ok ones - not my preference, since we still have a checkered history with trades since Valavanis has been the GM (the Howard trade notwithstanding); I still don't trust her GMing, especially knowing Hughes was the one who wanted Howard here - it was NOT Valavanis' idea. Also, Zellous can sashay away as well - she had a few good games for us but not enough, and she probably would be as useful as Noelle Quinn was her last year (that is, unless one of our PGs gets hurt again, but even then, I don't want her back). We should definitely get a PG with our 2nd-round pick, as a few interesting PG options will still be available at that point imo. This front office better strongly consider that 2020 will be Bird's last year, and we'll need a start finding a back-up for Canada sooner rather than later.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/16/19 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good analysis. I don't the Storm having any need to change much. Paris, Zealous and Dietrick should be thinking about a future elsewhere.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/16/19 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw an article that Paris was retiring. If we can keep Langhorne for less money then i would like that. Stewie, Howard, Russell and Langhorne would be a solid post rotation.
At this point im done with KML. I would rather keep Zellous.

Canada, Whitcomb, Zellous, Langhorne and Russell would be one of the best benches in the league

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/16/19 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I saw an article that Paris was retiring

Good on Paris for formally retiring. I'm guessing by the time next season starts, a lot of vets will have already played their last year - this already marks the 4th(?) official retirement after Little, Wright, & Lyttle; which is interesting if not unusual. Maybe Augustus and Beard amongst others are next...

toad455

PostPosted: 09/16/19 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If LA wins the title, I can see Beard retiring. Augustus probably won't decide until next year. Looks like Brunson is done, too.

myrtle

PostPosted: 09/16/19 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Ok so few people read long comments like these in their entirety so I'm just gonna sneak this in here that we should find out what Howard's trade value is, as I might get crucified otherwise if I'm too loud. I like Russell starting and Howard's too good to bring off the bench; plus I don't want any future drama she might bring off the court. Live I've said before, my takes are always hottest with my own team lol. It's not gonna happen unless a team like Dallas with many assets and a need for a Howard-like post player will really bite.

hmmm. well what do you think you could get that would equal the value of one of the top five players in the league?

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 09/16/19 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Ok so few people read long comments like these in their entirety so I'm just gonna sneak this in here that we should find out what Howard's trade value is, as I might get crucified otherwise if I'm too loud. I like Russell starting and Howard's too good to bring off the bench; plus I don't want any future drama she might bring off the court. Live I've said before, my takes are always hottest with my own team lol. It's not gonna happen unless a team like Dallas with many assets and a need for a Howard-like post player will really bite.

hmmm. well what do you think you could get that would equal the value of one of the top five players in the league?

How about Ionescu?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/16/19 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

How about Ionescu?

If this were the Lynx they'd be looking for a 2nd round pick at most. Razz

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/16/19 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

How about Ionescu?

The Lynx did trade Katie Smith for Chandi Jones ...

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/16/19 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

How about Ionescu?

The Lynx did trade Katie Smith for Chandi Jones ...

That trade helped the Lynx win multiple titles. Without that trade Lynx probably have no titles--almost certainly well fewer than 4.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/16/19 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

How about Ionescu?

Lol welp, “few people” turns out to be more than I thought Embarassed
In terms of an even semi-realistic trade: the #1, Stevens, and either Gray or Thornton (depending on who’s the better long-term SF fit in Hughes’ opinion). I'm skeptical Dallas would give up the #2 since it would be hometown-hero Cox (though Cox could be a much more talented version of Jayne Appel in Hughes' system, I suppose). Stevens would have to show her foot injury isn’t chronic - no more trading for injured players (à la the foolish-looking Monica Wright trade).
As much as I’d love Jefferson since Hughes coached her (and would love to coach her again I presume), she too would have to show she’s healthy; though since she’s from Dallas, I don’t see her wanting to move from there realistically.
Howard’s court battle though will be very telling. IF she is found to be the guilty party, the Storm would certainly look at their options (maybe the league would, too). That’s really where this crazy idea stems from (and hopefully it stays crazy). Feel free to call me a gross opportunist, if that's what you think this is, cuz I might be Embarassed

Randy

PostPosted: 09/16/19 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howards 'court battle' now seems to be just another divorce case. I don't think anything more will be decided other than how to end the marriage. To my knowledge there are no criminal charges pending anywhere. Check the long thread about Howard and all this stuff to get the info we have as of now, but as I recall where it left off was with Howard's divorce filing.

scrappy

PostPosted: 09/16/19 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

How about Ionescu?

unproven in the pro level.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

Canada, Whitcomb, Zellous, Langhorne and Russell would be one of the best benches in the league

That's an average bench.....Langhorn and Zallous should follow Paris out the door.

Last edited by zune69 on 09/16/19 7:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/16/19 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle doesn't need to do anything but be healthy

Bird/Canada
Loyd/Whitcomb
Clark
Stewart
Howard/Russell

and pick #7 gives you a nine person rotation that can win the championship.

Fill out the last 3 spot with current players (Zealous, KLM, Langhorne or invite back A. Howard), your 2nd and third round picks, free agents, camp invites, or waiver wire and the Storm will still be a top 4 team and a legit contender.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/16/19 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Howards 'court battle' now seems to be just another divorce case. I don't think anything more will be decided other than how to end the marriage. To my knowledge there are no criminal charges pending anywhere. Check the long thread about Howard and all this stuff to get the info we have as of now, but as I recall where it left off was with Howard's divorce filing.

Oof, I forgot how much discourse was in that thread. You're right, the last official thing was Howard's statements about the accusations, the July 15th divorce, and future proceedings. No civil or criminal case, so no one's gonna be found guilty Embarassed Personally, I still think there was fault on both sides, but I do see now that it's very possible Jackyy was the initial/bigger instigator, though neither handled themselves well. No matter what, Howard sure could use (mandatory?) counseling on romantic relationships in general and proactively avoiding violence within them, whether she considers initiating it or her partner actually does. The last thing the Storm or Howard needs is entering another volatile relationship that leads to bad news headlines...

Last edited by Stormeo on 09/17/19 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: