47%  [ 17 ]
Aces
52%
 52%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 36

Shades

PostPosted: 09/16/19 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

The call was the signal to count the basket, so I think this could have been reviewed.

Review the basket? Was there a question of whether it went in or not?

They should have reviewed that one non-basket from Delle Donne years ago. This one didn’t need to be reviewed.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 09/16/19 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked seeing Vandersloot dribbling in the backcourt running time off the clock and was thinking she must have had to throw that pass to avoid a 10-seconds-in-the-backcourt violation. But the ball was inbounded at 13.5 seconds and she threw the pass at 9.8 seconds. So I guess she made it to keep the Aces from fouling her and allow the clock to continue running.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/16/19 3:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Hamby steal and basket at the end of the 1st qt.

The Plum 3 point buzzer-beater at the end of the 3rd qt.

The Hamby steal and 3 pointers at the end of the game.

Vegas had a lot of things go their way, including the officiating. I don't understand how the referees did not call a review on Hamby's last basket. Even if the official did not see Hamby step out of bounds she was close enough to the out of bounds line to warrant a review.

Hamby and Plum saved the Aces asses.

Last edited by zune69 on 09/16/19 6:02 am; edited 3 times in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/16/19 5:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
pilight wrote:
Is this view more definitive?

https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1173407939740278784

Looks to me like her feet were out. My point was that a video clearly showing that would have to be available to the officials. That video was copied from a WNBA tweet, and it wasn't shown during the game, so I don't know where it came from, but possibly not ESPN, which is the source that AFAIK is available during the game.

Curiously, why would the WNBA tweet a video showing a single elim playoff game was won due to an egregious officiating error?

I don't think anything's at all clear from that video, personally. It's at too shallow an angle from too far away to be able to tell anything conclusively. The WNBA are just tweeting video of one of the craziest plays in their history.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 5:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I liked seeing Vandersloot dribbling in the backcourt running time off the clock and was thinking she must have had to throw that pass to avoid a 10-seconds-in-the-backcourt violation. But the ball was inbounded at 13.5 seconds and she threw the pass at 9.8 seconds. So I guess she made it to keep the Aces from fouling her and allow the clock to continue running.

It's an 8-second rule in this league, so yes, technically it would've been a violation when the clock hit 5.5s. But I seriously doubt that Colson was thinking "trap her and force the violation". She was almost certainly thinking "we've lost so much time already here, foul!" Vandersloot just needed to let herself be fouled at that point. She's had such a great season that it's a shame it ended with a mistake like that.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 6:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamby was on the line in his screenshot.
https://twitter.com/splendidhammer/status/1173376502869704704?s=20
https://twitter.com/splendidhammer/status/1173474361065529344?s=20

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/16/19 6:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not definitive neither. Was her heel touching the ground or the line? That photo does not justify

PostPosted: 09/16/19 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

8 count backcourt rule was not in play. Was Hamby on the line, out of bounds, refs missed the call, DD didn't come toward CVS doesn't matter. It came down to CVS made a huge mistake and cost Chi a chance to move on. The outcome has been decided. Fate can be cruel.

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

Last edited by greg5222 on 09/16/19 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 09/16/19 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
pilight wrote:
Is this view more definitive?

https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1173407939740278784

Looks to me like her feet were out. My point was that a video clearly showing that would have to be available to the officials. That video was copied from a WNBA tweet, and it wasn't shown during the game, so I don't know where it came from, but possibly not ESPN, which is the source that AFAIK is available during the game.

Curiously, why would the WNBA tweet a video showing a single elim playoff game was won due to an egregious officiating error?

I don't think anything's at all clear from that video, personally. It's at too shallow an angle from too far away to be able to tell anything conclusively. The WNBA are just tweeting video of one of the craziest plays in their history.

I agree. The only way you're going to be able to review AND overturn that part of the game is if there is a camera high enough up on that sideline to show where her foot was. So far, nothing has come out that would actually show where her foot was. I'd say the same if the ref had called her out of bounds and the Aces were trying to get it overturned. There's just not enough there to do that. Not yet anyway.

As far as Wade's reaction, how many times have you jumped up and pointed because you thought that the ball or player touched the line? Then you saw the replay and went "ok, good call?"

When it's not something that you're not specifically looking for, it's easy to see something that isn't really there. Also, there are times that you are too close to see something.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
zune69

PostPosted: 09/16/19 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It doesn't matter whether you thought Hamby stepped out of bounds or not. The play happened with less than 2 minutes remaining in a playoff game...The officials should have reviewed the play.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
It doesn't matter whether you thought Hamby stepped out of bounds or not. The play happened with less than 2 minutes remaining in a playoff game...The officials should have reviewed the play.

It's not reviewable. Same way, it was pointed out to me, that this ludicrous nonsense wasn't reviewable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHGzUhKleLw&

So blame the rules for the lack of review, more than the refs.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

What makes the last two minutes more important than the other 38?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every Great Thing About Dearica Hamby’s Miracle Game-Winning 3

https://www.theringer.com/2019/9/16/20868243/dearica-hamby-game-winning-shot-las-vegas-aces-chicago-sky-wnba-playoffs

Quote:
See the very last player on the Chicago Sky bench? I can’t tell exactly who it is, but I can tell exactly how much it hurt her when Hamby’s shot went in. It hurt her so much that she couldn’t think to do anything else except sit down on the floor. It hurt her so much that she forgot that chairs existed. That’s an R&B video for a song about a heartbreak level of hurt.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can someone explain to me what the rule is for inbounding into the backcourt? The previous throw-in was to Vandersloot in the frontcourt, and she was fouled in the frontcourt. Since the ball was established in the frontcourt, I expected that's where the inbound pass would have to go. Passing into the backcourt, I believe, is always legal in college. However, I thought in the WNBA the pass has to be to the frontcourt if position is already established. Does that apply only after a ball is knocked out of bounds? I don't see any rulle listed below for inbounding after a non-shooting foul.

Quote:
Section III-The Throw-In

a. The throw-in starts when the ball is at the disposal of a player entitled to the throw-in. She shall release the ball inbounds within 5 seconds from the time the throw-in starts. Until the passed ball has crossed the plane of the boundary, no player shall have any part of her person over the boundary line and teammates shall not occupy positions parallel or adjacent to the baseline if an opponent desires one of those positions. The defensive player shall have the right to be between her man and the basket.
b. On a throw-in which is not touched inbounds, the ball is returned to the original throw-in spot.
c. After a score, field goal or free throw, the latter coming as the result of a personal foul, any player of the team not credited with the score shall put the ball into play from any point out-of-bounds at the endline of the court where the point(s) were scored. She may pass the ball to a teammate behind the endline; however, the five-second throw-in rule applies.
d. After a free throw violation by the shooter or her teammate, the throw-in is made from out-of-bounds on the baseline.
e. Any ball out-of-bounds in a team's frontcourt or at the midcourt line cannot be passed into the backcourt. On all backcourt and midcourt violations, the ball shall be awarded to the opposing team at the midcourt line, and must be passed into the frontcourt.
f. A throw-in which touches the floor, or any object on or outside the boundary line, or touches anything above the playing surface is a violation. The ball must be thrown directly inbounds.
Exception: Rule 8-Section III-c.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Can someone explain to me what the rule is for inbounding into the backcourt?

Quote:
g. Frontcourt/backcourt status is not attained until a player with the ball has established a positive position in either half during (1) a jump ball, (2) a steal by a defensive player, (3) a throw-in in the last two minutes of the fourth period and last two minutes of any overtime period or (4) any time the ball is loose.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

It's not reviewable. Same way, it was pointed out to me, that this ludicrous nonsense wasn't reviewable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHGzUhKleLw&

So blame the rules for the lack of review, more than the refs.

Okay, I stand corrected, and my apologies to the referees...The league needs to change this rule.

Ex-Ref wrote:

What makes the last two minutes more important than the other 38?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I never said the last two minutes of a game is more important than the first 38. But if it's okay to call for a review/instant replay to see who touched the ball last on a ball that went out of bounds. I see nothing wrong with doing the same for a player that might've stepped out of bounds.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

To me, these plays are why I'm not that exercised about the lack of replay. All Chicago has to do is execute one time, and the Sky win. If you give up three baskets at the buzzer out of four quarters, you deserve to lose a close game.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
zune69 wrote:

To me, these plays are why I'm not that exercised about the lack of replay. All Chicago has to do is execute one time, and the Sky win. If you give up three baskets at the buzzer out of four quarters, you deserve to lose a close game.

+1

Too many lapses by chicago.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 09/16/19 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Plum trying to avoid getting traded this offseason.

She should be wanting to get traded IMO.

Why? What she should want is for Laimbeer to show more faith in her. The Aces are going places, if they can keep that core together.

Bill has continually shown he doesn't trust her. He tends to yank her every time she makes any mistake. Why should she want to play for a coach who clearly wishes he could replace her?

I don't think it's so clear. Maybe Bill just identified the buttons he needs to push, Plum seems to have responded well. I don't think he would play her the 2nd most minutes in a close do-or-die game if he didn't trust her.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/16/19 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Plum trying to avoid getting traded this offseason.

She should be wanting to get traded IMO.

Why? What she should want is for Laimbeer to show more faith in her. The Aces are going places, if they can keep that core together.

Bill has continually shown he doesn't trust her. He tends to yank her every time she makes any mistake. Why should she want to play for a coach who clearly wishes he could replace her?

I don't think it's so clear. Maybe Bill just identified the buttons he needs to push, Plum seems to have responded well. I don't think he would play her the 2nd most minutes in a close do-or-die game if he didn't trust her.

She was playing well, Young wasn't ... though some coaches don't ride the player having a good night, most do. The starter isn't guaranteed X number of minutes, especially in a do-or-die situation.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Quote:
g. Frontcourt/backcourt status is not attained until a player with the ball has established a positive position in either half during (1) a jump ball, (2) a steal by a defensive player, (3) a throw-in in the last two minutes of the fourth period and last two minutes of any overtime period or (4) any time the ball is loose.

Thanks. The page that came up when I did a search didn't have an item (g). Smile

PostPosted: 09/16/19 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Quote:

Thanks. The page that came up when I did a search didn't have an item (g). Smile

Page 13, in the Definitions section, if you really care and want to go read it all Wink.

PostPosted: 09/16/19 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

at least it wasn't LA. Otherwise the conspiracy theorists would be out in full force!

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 09/16/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
at least it wasn't LA. Otherwise the conspiracy theorists would be out in full force!

We will be probably be out in full force tomorrow at halftime of the first game..... Laughing

Last edited by Randy on 09/16/19 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/16/19 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imperfections exists throughout our society. I will not argue about any mistakes players or referees make every game. I will suggest that the playoff format be changed. The top six teams should only make the playoffs. The first round should be a best two out three series.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: