Minnesota Lynx 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/23/20 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
justintyme wrote:
toad455 wrote:
She's an RFA, if the Lynx want to overpay for her, the Sun will be happy to let her go.

The only reason I could see a sign and trade is that the Lynx don't want to overpay for her salary wise. Because they can pretty easily price CT out of the deal.

But if they are offering on the lower end of the contract scale, they might be afraid that CT could suddenly decide to match and then they would be precluded from even a trade.

If this is the case, their offerings are going to be small.

Only S&T I can come up with that might make sense is #14 for Banham?
#14 pick can compete for one of the final roster spots on CT, which has to be rookie deals or cheap vet signings. Plus Lynx roster is actually pretty much full, so they don't exactly need that pick.

Brown / #6 Pick* / [Sims]
Zandalasini / Banham
Collier / Christmas-Kelly
Fowles / Alexander**

*Even if people may be outraged over Lynx drafting a guard
**If Alexander was signed, she may be replacing or competing against Fagbenle? Or maybe a Waiver Mart pickup?

You missed Dantas/Shepard Wink , but otherwise I pretty much agree 100% with what you have here. I would not be surprised if they did this. A guard at #6 seems almost a certainty, unless a bunch of teams get stupid in the draft again and another Collier situation happens. But, especially if Carter comes out, a good PG who's not a reach is almost certainly going to be available at #6.

Yeah, if they sent sign and trade #14 would make sense to me. And if it meant a reasonable contract...I would not be overly opposed there.

I'm also not entirely certain exactly how committed the Lynx are to Fagbenele. I could see a scenario where they gave up #14 and then traded her to get a pick back again. Or they moved her in some other way. I'm not sure. For as much as I hear Ceci talked about with excitement, there is just silence when it comes to Temi. I don't hear negative stuff, but the contrast between those two players in similar positions seems to ring loudly to me.

Or else I'm just reading way too much into it and just making it all up in my head, which is also decent possibility.

PostPosted: 02/23/20 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be reluctant to give up that #14 for Banham. The Lynx are basically in a rebuild, and that #14 has a reasonable shot to make their roster. Banham's not really been a success in Connecticut, and clearly wasn't a high priority this offseason. If you can get her to take something non-guaranteed in future years, or even just a deal that they could match but probably won't want to, go with that instead.

I'm not convinced yet that Fagbenle will show up this year, and Zandalasini is a 'believe it when you see it' at this point as well, unfortunately. That leaves something like:

Brown/(Sims)/(Harper)
(Zandalasini)
Collier/(Christmas-Kelly)/Talbot/(Carleton)
Dantas/(Shepard)
Fowles/(Fagbenle)/(Alexander)

with everyone in brackets questionable either due to health, maybe showing up, or being a fringe WNBA-level player to begin with. That leaves plenty of room for the #14 to potentially make the roster and hopefully be a pleasant surprise in the same way Shepard was beginning to be before she got hurt last year.

PostPosted: 02/23/20 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minny: Pass on Banham, the wee general's first mistake. Already picked up a couple of unremarkable players. Stick with the Draft, it's going to most likely be a lottery anyways.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/23/20 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Minny: Pass on Banham, the wee general's first mistake. Already picked up a couple of unremarkable players. Stick with the Draft, it's going to most likely be a lottery anyways.

Never! If we're going to suck with unremarkable players, we're going to suck with a local unremarkable player! Not like a 2nd round pick is guaranteed to be a star or even better than players that may be available from Waiver Mart. (Last years' draft was especially deep, and it was speculated Reeve loves Shepard when it's rare Reeve loves anybody who isn't a 10-year WNBA vet) It's not like we're trading away Chelsea Gray.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/23/20 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if both Carter and Sabally are in that is picks 1-4

PX at 5 can only pick one of the players below so let's compare

#6 guards vs posts

Hebard, Allarie, Holmes, Mompremier, Gillespie

guards
Dangerfield, Harris, Cooper, Martin, Pivec

(I have a little more faith in the posts at that pick but could be wrong)

another interesting fact there are 14 players above so one of those players is an option at 14, maybe more with other declarations or if I forgot someone so it gives you an idea of what might be available at 14 if you don't trade it.

I would probably give Banham a shot over 14 Banham could be one of those players that new scenery and more minutes might be all she needs to fulfill some more of her potential, you might get a great 2nd round player but the odds are against it

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/23/20 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Never! If we're going to suck with unremarkable players, we're going to suck with a local unremarkable player! Not like a 2nd round pick is guaranteed to be a star or even better than players that may be available from Waiver Mart. (Last years' draft was especially deep, and it was speculated Reeve loves Shepard when it's rare Reeve loves anybody who isn't a 10-year WNBA vet) It's not like we're trading away Chelsea Gray.

I assume from all this mumbo jumbo, banter and psychological profiling of Reeve that you disagree.

That's fine. That's what this forum is all about.

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/23/20 2:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's not get too hung up on #14 atm. If the Lynx are after Banham they really don't *have* to sign-and-trade. I was just throwing that out as a hypothetical. And I really don't think that hypothetical is the most likely path of those the Lynx could take.

I'm not convinced that CT would match much of anything on Banham and thus the Lynx could get her just by extending her a reasonable offer sheet as a RFA.

And to me signing Banham to a reasonable contract that doesn't overextend themselves and maintains flexibility for next year is the ideal sort of move the Lynx should be making in a rebuild year. Her Instagram pictures show that she's in as good of physical shape as I've seen her, so between that and putting her injuries behind her and giving her a fresh start with ample opportunity for playing time, if she's ever going to finally have that breakout season where her potential manifests itself into being it would seem to be now.

PostPosted: 02/23/20 3:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I have essentially the same numbers as SpaceJunkie came up with for Connecticut. They've basically got 9 players at the moment, under contract for a total of 1,115,000. Which means cap space of 185,000 for either 2 or 3 players. 57k is the least you can pay anyone, so 128k is the most they can pay one player for one of those remaining spots. Of course they might be hoping to carry three players in that space, or to pick up a vet like a Zellous/Carson/Prince/TYoung/Swords, which would make paying Banham any more than the vet minimum of 68k unlikely.

PostPosted: 02/23/20 4:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Let's not get too hung up on #14 atm. If the Lynx are after Banham they really don't *have* to sign-and-trade. I was just throwing that out as a hypothetical. And I really don't think that hypothetical is the most likely path of those the Lynx could take.

I only brought up S&T because that's what "deal in the works" sounded most like to me, or I have terrible reading comprehension and it could just be a regular offer that can't be matched.
I forgot about Bridget Carelton, IF there was an S&T, maybe Sun would want her instead since she initially made their roster last year. But then I'll hear how Carelton is too good to give up, so basically the Lynx roster is so loaded there is nobody worth cutting or getting rid of. What a superteam!

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/23/20 5:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I only brought up S&T because that's what "deal in the works" sounded most like to me, or I have terrible reading comprehension and it could just be a regular offer that can't be matched.
I forgot about Bridget Carelton, IF there was an S&T, maybe Sun would want her instead since she initially made their roster last year. But then I'll hear how Carelton is too good to give up, so basically the Lynx roster is so loaded there is nobody worth cutting or getting rid of. What a superteam!

Deal in the works could also just be an inelegant phrasing for extending the offer to Banham, her signing it, and them waiting for the clock to run down without CT matching.

If that's the case, Tuesday night is the STH mixer, and I could see them attempting to keep the news under wraps until then, and having a big reveal/announcement at that point.

PostPosted: 02/24/20 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx's roster page has added Kayla Alexander and Linnae Harper to it. Not sure if those signings have been formally announced, if this is to be believed: https://lynx.wnba.com/roster/

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/25/20 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[Moving this part of our discussion to this thread.]

Shades wrote:
Yes, I’ve covered being overloaded at SF quite thoroughly. As far as a need for a PG, I wouldn’t call it a desperate need. I’m praying she won’t do anything desperate like when she added DRob. Hoped she learned her lesson from that move. Not being desperate includes not over-reaching for a PG at #6. Want BPA at that spot considering the current make up of the team.

Yes, we have. Very Happy I think Reeve will still have some good non-PG options at 6 at her disposal that she won’t pass up. And I seem to recall Lexie Brown back at Duke taking a lot of pride in stepping up at the PG spot when PG Kyra Lambert went down towards the end of Brown’s senior year. At least if nothing else, Reeve will have someone that I’d guess wouldn’t mind being thrust into that role again for most of the time – even if she isn’t too serviceable right off the bat. Brown is talented enough to be able to be one imo, it’ll just take some time. The team could do worse. And I don’t think you’ll have to worry about Reeve signing a not-so-cheap weird-fit veteran PG either, as they all seem to be taken; well, other than Shavonte Zellous since that’s the exact type of player she was last year for the Storm. Thoughts & Prayers for y’all if the Lynx sign her!

Shades wrote:
I was hoping Vegas would if they‘d rather not bring back TYoung. I prefer their collection of possibly available PG’s over Boyd (Plum, Allen).

I don’t see Vegas as a fit for KCK though because, assuming they keep Plum and trade over Lindsay Allen instead, Plum will need a new contract next year and Wilson will at least be eligible for one (in which they could go ahead and do it like the Storm did during Loyd and KML’s fourth year – in a "keep-the-players’-happy-and-trustful-of-the-organization" kind of thing), despite Cambage probably leaving the league after this season. Maybe they work out the numbers though and find that they can fit her in – that’s a realistic deal. The Aces would have to be convinced that KCK’s sustainably healthy again, since she’s played a grand total of 12 games the entire past two seasons.

And I just don’t see Laimbeer trading Plum at all, especially not for KCK. And the #6 Pick won’t be so valuable of a pick to package into a trade like that, since even the potential early-declarers that wouldn’t be slam-dunk lottery picks all have their respective downsides. If Laimbeer still does Plum for KCK + #6 because he valued neither Plum’s unexpected playoff contributions nor her potential to have a career year in 2020, then he’s just plain stupid and almost certainly will get hammered by the media as well as remaining Aces players, likely including Cambage…

Shades wrote:
ATL could use her (and I believe it’s her home base) but they don’t exactly have any decent PG’s to spare. They are giving away Bentley for free though.

Direct me where to buy the rose-colored glasses you’re seeing Bentley in – maybe it’ll make me appreciate the Storm’s Tuck trade better. Razz

Shades wrote:
Reeve has stated the possibility of not having a conventional PG. That probably means the whole team are good facilitators so there’s less of a need to rely on one main conventional. I’m not sure if I should be nervous about that or not.

The problem is, we all know she tried and failed to trade for Diggins-Smith; so unless Reeve views her as an "unconventional" PG, she’s just trying to save face and y’all should be nervous. Embarassed Thoughts & Prayers!

Shades

PostPosted: 02/25/20 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Banham to Minnesota is now official according to Lynx social media.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/25/20 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Banham to Minnesota is now official according to Lynx social media.

CRAP! It was only for a 2021 second round pick, so I only get a BOO-YAH instead of your mega-sized ones. Smile

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/25/20 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I may be all wrong, but it appears to me that the relationship of Laimbeer and Lady Plum is more or less a father-daughter coaching situation where each provides some banter, sometimes disagree on things, but they enjoy the foreplay and challenge of each other. Don't see him trading her off.

Famous last words... Laughing

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/25/20 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
I may be all wrong, but it appears to me that the relationship of Laimbeer and Lady Plum is more or less a father-daughter coaching situation where each provides some banter, sometimes disagree on things, but they enjoy the foreplay and challenge of each other. Don't see him trading her off.

Did you post this in the wrong thread, or am I supposed to order a Kelsey Plum Lynx jersey right now?

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/25/20 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Did you post this in the wrong thread, or am I supposed to order a Kelsey Plum Lynx jersey right now?

Read under Stormeo above.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/25/20 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Read under Stormeo above.

I should've read Stormeo's post first. Embarassed

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/25/20 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Full season of Zandalasini confirmed at the STH mixer.

PostPosted: 02/25/20 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Are you there and going to have a full recap for us, or are you like me and just going off of what is being said on Twitter? Smile

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/25/20 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Breakout Banham!!!

PostPosted: 02/25/20 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Breakout Banham!!!

MIP candidate? Cerrtainly improved Dantas game when she came back to the Twin Cities.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/25/20 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG: Brown/Harper
SG: Christmas-Kelly/Banham
SF: Collier/Talbot/Zandalasini
PF: Dantas/Shepard
C: Fowles/Fagbenle/Alexander
Plus #6, #14 picks

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/25/20 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though the second round pick in 2021 will likely be of little value, I wonder why it ended up being a sign and trade instead of Connecticut not being able to match an offer? Will it be a lower priced or unprotected contract this way?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/25/20 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Are you there and going to have a full recap for us, or are you like me and just going off of what is being said on Twitter? Smile

Oh, totally relying on Twitter DMs from people there lol.

We don't have our season tickets anymore as the wife has had field work the last few summers and I've tagged along.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 13 of 29

Jump to: