RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2020/2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 11/03/19 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

root_thing wrote:
Yeah, it's hard to figure out. As the database indicates, there are literally thousands of players participating from all over the globe. They range in skill level from high school to professional. In that last tournament where the USA sent Collier, Young, Hebard, and Bueckers, they trounced #1 ranked Russia 22-3. Then, they followed up by losing to Brazil in OT. And if Mongolia and Romania are ranked #3 and #4, you know this is a whole other basketball world.

You've probably spent more time looking at the points than I have after your investigations yesterday, but I have to imagine that countries like that mostly manufactured their ranking via depth. They're so focussed on participaton and inclusion with 3x3 that the federation rankings were done using the ranking points of the top 100 players from each country. So I presume the likes of Romania and Mongolia made sure that they had lots and lots of players who had a vaguely meaningful ranking score (I'm imagining a host of tournaments in Mongolia where different Mongolian teams finished 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.). That adds up quickly, and could easily negate your #1 team not actually being very good.

Apologies to Mongolia and Romania if they're just randomly good at 3x3 for some reason Smile.

That's what I meant by a "whole other basketball world." It just seems to me that this is a manufactured environment where countries can use the rules and scheduling in their favor. It allows shrewd bureaucracy to offset basketball talent. I'm not generally a conspiracy guy, but it's awfully convenient for these other teams that the qualifier is taking place when US college players aren't available.

PostPosted: 11/06/19 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Winter college tour dates announced
1/27/2020: Connecticut - 7:00 PM ET
2/02/2020: Louisville - 2:00 PM ET
Tickets: https://www.USAB.com/tickets

Designated Eight
Sue Bird
Elena Delle Donne (if cleared)
Skylar Diggins-Smith
Sylvia Fowles
Chelsea Gray
Nneka Ogwumike
Diana Taurasi
A’ja Wilson

Plus 4 more to be determined chosen from here.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 11/06/19 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 11/06/19 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's supposedly a third spot on the "east coast" leg of the tour that has yet to be announced. Maybe South Carolina? Miami? Maryland?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/06/19 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bizarre scheduling considering that the window for the Olympic Qualifying Tournaments - which the US are required to take part in - is February 2-10.

PostPosted: 11/08/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updated FIBA National Team Rankings
They have 131 teams ranked at the link.
http://www.fiba.basketball/rankingwomen

Here are the Top 15

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/new-system-launched-for-fiba-world-ranking-women-presented-by-nike

toad455

PostPosted: 11/11/19 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the roster looking like for the qualifiers? I have ten listed:

PG: Bird/Diggins-Smith/Gray
SG: Plum/Ogunbowale
SF: Taurasi/DeShields
PF: Wilson
C: Fowles/NOgwumike

Randy

PostPosted: 11/11/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd reverse the order of your starters for the first 3.

Gray/SDS/Bird
Ogunbowale/Plum
DD/DT

Richyyy

PostPosted: 11/11/19 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's meant to be Augustus, DeShields, AGray, Ogunbowale and Plum joining the remaining seven from the core group (assuming Wilson's available again). So something like:

Bird/CGray/Plum
Taurasi/Diggins-Smith/Ogunbowale
Augustus/DeShields/AGray
NOguwumike/Wilson
Fowles

So, very thin inside again. Not that it'll matter.

PostPosted: 11/11/19 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't think Augustus was staying with the team. They should have kept Collier instead.

Last edited by toad455 on 11/12/19 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 11/12/19 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Additions for the Argentine tournament

so-many-pickles

PostPosted: 12/04/19 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.sbnation.com/wnba/2019/12/4/20996337/breanna-stewart-injury-return-team-usa-vs-uconn

Mixolydian

PostPosted: 12/05/19 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so-many-pickles wrote:
https://www.sbnation.com/wnba/2019/12/4/20996337/breanna-stewart-injury-return-team-usa-vs-uconn

I'm not well-versed on sports injuries, but that seems awfully soon for a torn Achillies? Give it plenty of time, Stewie!

toad455

PostPosted: 12/05/19 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So with Stewart and possibly Delle Donne, we could be looking at the following roster for the East coast college tour & Olympics qualifiers that the USA doesn't need to participate in but FIBA is forcing them to. I'll add in Plum & Augustus since both were there for the Americas qualifiers & the West coast college tour.

Sylvia Fowles

Nneka Ogwumike
A’ja Wilson

PG: Bird/Diggins-Smith
SG: Taurasi/Gray/Plum
SF: Delle Donne/Augustus
PF: Wilson/Stewart
Plus one more based on who's available.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/05/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So with Stewart and possibly Delle Donne, we could be looking at the following roster for the East coast college tour & Olympics qualifiers that the USA doesn't need to participate in but FIBA is forcing them to. I'll add in Plum & Augustus since both were there for the Americas qualifiers & the West coast college tour.

PG: Bird/Diggins-Smith
SG: Taurasi/Gray/Plum
SF: Delle Donne/Augustus
PF: Wilson/Stewart
Plus one more based on who's available.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/06/19 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird/CGray
Taurasi/Diggins-Smith/
McCoughtry/Augustus
Ogwumike/Delle Donne/Stewart
Fowles/Wilson

Gray resembles more of a PG to me over Diggins.
I’m putting Wilson at center until Griner joins the team.
When Griner finally joins the team, I’m having Ogwumike trending towards a SF over Delle Donne.

Stewart might be a part of the team more in spirit than anything else for the UConn game, so it makes sense to also have McCoughtry there for the Louisville game.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/06/19 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2020 Presents Special Opportunities for Young Team USA Basketball Forward A’ja Wilson

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2019/December/05/2020-Presents-Special-Opportunities-for-Young-Team-USA-Basketball-Forward-Aja-Wilson

Quote:
Wilson, the youngest player on the U.S. team that won the 2018 FIBA Women’s Basketball World Cup, is now part of a core group of players who committed themselves to Team USA training during the WNBA offseason.

Quote:
“I definitely talk to Sylvia Fowles a lot,” Wilson said of the three-time Olympic champion center. “She just tells me, ‘Don’t change up everything. USA Basketball is all about roles. If you do your role, we’re winning gold. Nothing different.’"

Shades

PostPosted: 12/07/19 6:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Delle Donne still rehabbing. She’ll miss the remaining college tour and qualifying tournament.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/28240273/rehabbing-delle-donne-miss-usa-basketball-exhibition-games

nsw43

PostPosted: 12/07/19 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Delle Donne still rehabbing. She’ll miss the remaining college tour and qualifying tournament.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/28240273/rehabbing-delle-donne-miss-usa-basketball-exhibition-games

Personally (as someone who has had one herniated disc), I don't understand how you rehab three of them without surgery.

Randy

PostPosted: 12/07/19 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nsw43 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Personally (as someone who has had one herniated disc), I don't understand how you rehab three of them without surgery.

Maybe she is just one of those people who avoid surgery no matter what.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/18/19 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.wnba.com/news/usa-to-face-mozambique-nigeria-and-host-serbia-in-2020-fiba-olympic-qualifying-tournament/

Shades

PostPosted: 12/23/19 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Team USA site is running polls on the Team USA player of the decade for each position.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/12/wnt-all-decade-team-poll.aspx

I found it odd that Stewart was slotted as SF. I wonder if this was a mistake or is this some indication of her future position if Maya doesn’t show up?

Voting for PF was a head scratcher. They had the nerve to include Parker, who hasn’t participated since 2012. Delle Donne doesn’t have enough experience for my taste. Catchings and Cash don’t strike me as true PF’s. It’s like calling Collier a PF. I think Charles might have had a shot taking PF in this poll if she would have been slotted there instead of center.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/08/20 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA basketball sent out a tweet last night that there is roster news coming. UCONN sent one out today that we’re honoring the 2009 & 2010 NC teams prior to our exhibition game against the USABWNT. Maya is scheduled to attend. Please please please let this be her return game! Could you imagine? Am I wishing too hard? Could it be? Thoughts?

toad455

PostPosted: 01/08/20 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewart should be on the roster this time. Has anyone from the first two "rounds" gone overseas to play?

Shades

PostPosted: 01/08/20 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
USA basketball sent out a tweet last night that there is roster news coming. UCONN sent one out today that we’re honoring the 2009 & 2010 NC teams prior to our exhibition game against the USABWNT. Maya is scheduled to attend. Please please please let this be her return game! Could you imagine? Am I wishing too hard? Could it be? Thoughts?

That’s an intriguing possibility but it’s much more likely Stewart is returning to the roster, since her progress hasn’t been kept much of a secret.

There hasn’t been any obvious indication of Maya working out or putting the word out that she’s yearning to get back into basketball. Maya’s good at keeping secrets but keeping an eminent return a total secret would be quite the achievement.

Maya hasn’t totally ruled out basketball this season, but she put a late spring deadline on any kind of decision.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/08/20 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Basketball Women’s National Team Exhibition Games vs. No. 1 UConn and No. 7 Louisville Available on ESPN Networks
https://www.wnba.com/news/usa-basketball-womens-national-team-exhibition-games-vs-no-1-uconn-and-no-7-louisville-available-on-espn-networks/

Quote:
The USA National Team will face No. 1 UConn on Monday, Jan. 27, at 7 p.m. ET, on ESPN2 and No. 7 Louisville on Sunday, Feb. 2, at 2 p.m. on ESPN.

Eric Frede, Rebecca Lobo and Holly Rowe will be on the call for the UConn matchup, with Beth Mowins and Debbie Antonelli be calling the action for the Louisville matchup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 7 of 27

Jump to: