RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Best Rookie Performances
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan

PostPosted: 05/25/19 3:08 am    ::: Best Rookie Performances Reply Reply with quote

I hate to admit that I don’t follow every single game that is played throughout the regular season but I would LOVE to hear about the best rookie showings this year.

I know it’s lazy of me, but please update the best games from a first year player this year in this thread if you feel like talking up your front runner for ROY!

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 05/25/19 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brooke McCarty sure shined in Atlanta last night!

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/other-sports/wnba/2019/05/24/even-season-opening-loss-brooke-mccarty-williams-showed-exactly-belongs-wings-roster

~lw3

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 05/25/19 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game's not over yet, but it's safe to add Napheesa Collier in here as well.

~lw3

Shades

PostPosted: 05/25/19 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She’s taken over as top scoring rookie.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 05/25/19 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So far:

1. Collier
2. McCowan
3. Shepard
4. McCarty-Williams
5. Durr

We shall see what Jackie Young & Kalani Brown do tomorrow.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/28/19 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the surfeit of other shooters on the Aces, I suspect they were very happy with Young's efficient 4 for 4 shooting in game 1. They don't need her to shoot a lot.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/28/19 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Given the surfeit of other shooters on the Aces, I suspect they were very happy with Young's efficient 4 for 4 shooting in game 1. They don't need her to shoot a lot.

They don't need her to shoot a lot, but it was nice when she finally did something in the second half. Because they weren't using her as a defensive stopper - she mostly guarded Ruffin-Pratt, who poses about as much of an offensive threat as I do from my couch - and she rarely handled the ball (Plum, then T.Young, then Colson were the point guards). Obviously, in the same way that Collier won't produce games like her debut every night, Young can't be judged on one game. But Jamie Nared or whoever else could've had that same game as Young without any meaningful difference.

PostPosted: 05/28/19 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

They don't need her to shoot a lot, but it was nice when she finally did something in the second half. Because they weren't using her as a defensive stopper - she mostly guarded Ruffin-Pratt, who poses about as much of an offensive threat as I do from my couch - and she rarely handled the ball (Plum, then T.Young, then Colson were the point guards). Obviously, in the same way that Collier won't produce games like her debut every night, Young can't be judged on one game. But Jamie Nared or whoever else could've had that same game as Young without any meaningful difference.

Actually, two of Young's best skills is being able to contribute without the ball in her hands and being able to work with equally talented or better players, knowing when to step up as option #1 or when to option #5.

In this game, she made all four of her shots from the floor and did not turn the ball over. That is a successful debut.

Now, is it what one would expect from the #1 pick in the draft, if 8 points were her season average? No. But for her first game, it was a very good debut.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/28/19 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Actually, two of Young's best skills is being able to contribute without the ball in her hands and being able to work with equally talented or better players, knowing when to step up as option #1 or when to option #5.

In this game, she made all four of her shots from the floor and did not turn the ball over. That is a successful debut.

Yeah, I'm not saying she did anything wrong. But there's not turning the ball over when you make smart decisions and take care in what you're doing, and there's not turning the ball over when you're standing on the wing barely ever touching the ball so it's hard to ever give it away. And the 'contribute without the ball in her hands' thing is going to be limited if a) she can't shoot threes (which she had no interest in doing even in the second half when she got more involved and received the ball at the arc a couple of times), and b) guards the third perimeter option on the floor.

Again, there's no harm in easing her in, especially when you've got so many other options and beat the crap out of LA anyway. And she did more in the second half. It was just a pretty quiet and invisible debut for a #1 pick. Also, she played a grand total of absolutely zero 'lead guard', despite all that blather in the press in preseason. Which probably coloured my response somewhat.

PostPosted: 05/28/19 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4 for 4 against good defenders like TRP and Beard, is no small feat.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 05/28/19 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4-4 is nothing to sneeze at, for sure. But I agree with Richyyy's assessment that Jackie Young's debut was pretty quiet and invisible.

Collier was amazing; she just had a fantastic game and played with remarkable maturity.

McCowan is an absolute beast, but unpolished at the moment. She was polished enough to deliver the winning basket.

Asia Durr had an unremarkable game. She started off slow but hit some shots late.

Fishhappy

PostPosted: 05/28/19 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
4-4 is nothing to sneeze at, for sure. But I agree with Richyyy's assessment that Jackie Young's debut was pretty quiet and invisible.

Collier was amazing; she just had a fantastic game and played with remarkable maturity.

McCowan is an absolute beast, but unpolished at the moment. She was polished enough to deliver the winning basket.

Asia Durr had an unremarkable game. She started off slow but hit some shots late.

while Collier stole the show I thought the part of the story that got missed was Jess Sheppard's play. She played really good defense and rebounded extremely well. She showed that she is ready for the W. when your second round pick plays that well YOU GOT A STEAL IN THE DRAFT

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/28/19 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fishhappy wrote:

while Collier stole the show I thought the part of the story that got missed was Jess Sheppard's play. She played really good defense and rebounded extremely well. She showed that she is ready for the W. when your second round pick plays that well YOU GOT A STEAL IN THE DRAFT

Agreed.

I am really excited to see how she develops going forward. She struggled a little bit with turnovers, but that is to be expected from a rookie asked to facilitate as much as she is. But she never seemed to get discouraged by them and continued to make plays.

Reeve was coming into this season without much of a roster, and just a few weeks later they have Collier, Shepard, Brown, Talbot, and Coates (in addition to Fagbenle and Zandalasini) as exciting young prospects. It's almost if you blinked you would have missed it...

PostPosted: 05/29/19 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember that photo in the Mock Draft thread, of the 4 head coaches doing a selfie, and Reeve in the background, just a slight smile on her face?
I'd caption that now as : "go ahead and laugh it up, chuckleheads ..."

Have any other 2nd round picks had as good a debut as Shepard?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/29/19 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Jamie Nared or whoever else could've had that same game as Young without any meaningful difference.

Actually, in last year's opener Nared played the same 20 minutes and was a whopping 1 for 7 for 2 pts. So yes, there is a huge difference. 4 for 4 is pretty darn good for a first pro game.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/29/19 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
Remember that photo in the Mock Draft thread, of the 4 head coaches doing a selfie, and Reeve in the background, just a slight smile on her face?

0/3 with three points and six turnovers? I think I might be able to find one or two.

PostPosted: 05/29/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:

0/3 with three points and six turnovers? I think I might be able to find one or two.

Probably right, but it should at least be mentioned that she had 13 rebounds and 6 assists.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/29/19 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:

Along with 6 assists, 13 rebounds (5 offensive!) and +13 for the game while playing solid defense.

PostPosted: 05/29/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:

Along with 6 assists, 13 rebounds (5 offensive!) and +13 for the game while playing solid defense.

Exactly why shes in my starting line up this week for fantasy . Shes going to get alot of opportunity and if she can produce loke that the points will come eventually. Too soon to say good job reeve im sure though.

PostPosted: 05/29/19 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:

6 assists, which equalled the combined total of the two starting guards.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/29/19 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
5thmantheme wrote:

Too soon to say good job reeve im sure though.

Yeah, one game a season does not make.

But Shepard does credit Reeve to an extent! At the Team USA Reeve pulled her aside and told her that to be successful in the WNBA she needed to improve her physical fitness. So Shepard dropped 40 pounds between her junior and senior year.

Reeve was obviously impressed enough that she leapt at the chance to draft her.

PostPosted: 05/30/19 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I said some time ago that Collier reminded me of Delle Donn some and could probably lead the league in scoring one day, so I’m not surprised she had a big game.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/30/19 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
I said some time ago that Collier reminded me of Delle Donn some and could probably lead the league in scoring one day, so I’m not surprised she had a big game.

Shocked

PostPosted: 05/30/19 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The person she reminds me of the most is Catchings. That motor, that cold demeanor, that ability on both ends of the court...

PostPosted: 05/30/19 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont see this at all. EDD has one of the purest shots in the game while Collier shot/form looks very shaky. Yes she has hit her 3 s but from the little that ive seen from her i wouldnt call her a shooter

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: