RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 02/22/20 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bella Alarie's hometown WNBA team is the Washington Mystics, her father Mark Alarie played 4 years for the Washington Bullets (Wizards), I wouldn't be surprise the Mystics will draft Bella at #12 in the 1st rd. of the 2020 WNBA Draft. Bella Alarie can learn a lot from Elena and Emma. Also, Bella can help supplement the Mystics line-up when Emma isn't available in the future for the WNBA season.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/23/20 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:
In terms of ranking the PGs of this draft, here's mine:

1. Ionescu, Oregon
2. Tyasha Harris, South Carolina
3. Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M*
4. Te'a Cooper, Baylor
5. Aari McDonald, Arizona*
6. Crystal Dangerfield, UCONN
7. Stella Johnson, Rider
8. Juicy Landrum, Baylor
9. Minyon Moore, Oregon
10. Japreece Dean, UCLA

*early entry if she declares

I think you're mixing up shooting guards with PGs.

+1 Some are basketball players playing PG and some are PG's playing basketball. There's a difference. The basketball player will beat the PG, usually in a one-on-one game and that confuses people. But the PG is a specially trained player like a Quarterback in football. The basketball player can learn to play PG but it's not an easy transition because there's a huge learning gap.

On a loaded team, the basketball player who plays PG sometimes looks great dominating a PG on a less loaded team. But when the teams are equally loaded the PG who plays basketball will most likely lead her team to victory through management, passing, leadership and so forth skills.

For instance Kaela Davis will beat Sue Bird one-on-one every time, even when Sue was in her prime. However, as a PG, Sue will beat Kaela's team most of the time should the teams be of equal quality. Sue's a quarterback and Kaela's an athletic basketball player playing PG.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/23/20 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dreamfan11 wrote:
She probably declared to participate in Senior Night.

Shades wrote:
I was thinking about this last night. The reason Sabally “declared” for the draft this early was so people would stop asking her about it. It was causing her stress.

But the announcement doesn’t mean she’s obligated to declare for the draft. She can’t officially renounce her NCAA eligibility until her last game of the season.

She might have gotten a little anger from the Oregon fans for saying she’s entering the draft, but they can’t give her too much guff because you have to support a player that may very well help your team to a national championship. If she later announces that she’s staying at Oregon, she’ll be flooded with more fan love than ever.

If she were to announce this early that she was staying at school and later declared for the draft (like other players have done in the past), that’s when the feelings of betrayal and fan anger can really set in.

Even if this isn’t an elaborate scheme to get people off her back about the draft (and I agree with those that think it’s not likely), that doesn’t mean she can’t change mind about declaring for the draft. Just keep in mind that it is still a slight possibility that Sabally will end up not officially declaring for the WNBA draft.

Hmm... you could be onto something. Thanks for the mature response.

Do most players enjoy Senior Night? Personally, that’d be something I’d prefer to avoid.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 02/23/20 2:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Bella Alarie's hometown WNBA team is the Washington Mystics, her father Mark Alarie played 4 years for the Washington Bullets (Wizards), I wouldn't be surprise the Mystics will draft Bella at #12 in the 1st rd. of the 2020 WNBA Draft. Bella Alarie can learn a lot from Elena and Emma. Also, Bella can help supplement the Mystics line-up when Emma isn't available in the future for the WNBA season.

Thibault tends to make surprising first round picks. The only thing surprising about Alarie at #12 would be her not being picked before then.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/23/20 2:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

1. Ionescu, Oregon
4. Te'a Cooper, Baylor
7. Stella Johnson, Rider
8. Juicy Landrum, Baylor
9. Minyon Moore, Oregon
10. Japreece Dean, UCLA

No, Baylor doesn’t have two PG’s in the draft.

I think I’ve been selling Harris a little too hard. Before Carter? Shocked

Have you ever heard of Destiny Slocum? Very nice scoring PG who is eligible to declare.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/23/20 3:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here are my college senior PG rankings, in order - though the names get less orderly towards the bottom. However, this is not necessarily the order I think they get drafted. Any colleges listed in parentheses are the player's previous college:

Crystal Dangerfield, UConn
Tyasha Harris, South Carolina
Te’a Cooper, Baylor (South Carolina, Tennessee)
Kelly Campbell, DePaul
Nicki Ekhomu, Florida State
Kathleen Doyle, Iowa
Chanelle Molina, Washington State
Minyon Moore, Oregon (Southern Cal)
Taja Cole, Virginia Tech (Georgia, Louisville)
Rachel Thompson, Colgate
Keri Jewett-Giles, Florida Gulf Coast (Southern Miss)
Chanette Hicks, Norfolk State (Virginia Tech)
Japreece Dean, UCLA (Texas Tech)
Jayde Christopher, Boise State (Kansas)
Shayla Bennett, North Carolina (Gulf Coast State College)
Sug Sutton, Texas
Ciani Cryor, Texas Southern (Rutgers, Georgia Tech)

Fwiw, for draft-eligible juniors: I'd put Chennedy Carter above Dangerfield, Destiny Slocum above Harris, and Aari McDonald above Cooper.

Despite Ionescu leading her team/the nation in assists, I just don't consider her a PG - at least at the college level. Sorry bout it. Razz (Not that it matters for the sake of argument, since she will be going first overall.) I also don't consider Ciara Duffy of South Dakota a PG, even though she leads her team in assists at 5/game.

...Not that Carter herself is playing PG this year, admittedly. Embarassed Maybe I should just add in Ionescu and Duffy just because. Laughing Anyways, I found a Texas A&M game from this past fall - they were playing Florida State - on YouTube (Idk if I'll get in trouble by posting the link, but it'll be easy to find on your own). The guy that does play-by-play for the Wings was on the call. At the 13th minute-mark of the video, he decisively claims that though Carter plays the 2-guard for this year's Aggies team, "she would prefer to play the 1." That should put to rest any talk of Carter not being a PG at the next level, if there even was any.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/23/20 6:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

1. Ionescu, Oregon
4. Te'a Cooper, Baylor
7. Stella Johnson, Rider
8. Juicy Landrum, Baylor
9. Minyon Moore, Oregon
10. Japreece Dean, UCLA

I concur with this statement beginning with Ionesco.
Ionesco is just like Didi Richards. She is the team's best passer but Moore is the primary person that brings the ball up the court. Landrum is not a point guard either.

PostPosted: 02/23/20 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see Slocum entering early. She just doesn't appear WNBA-ready, especially in a guard-heavy draft. Would Slocum even be a first-round pick in 2020?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/23/20 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

1. Ionescu, Oregon
4. Te'a Cooper, Baylor
7. Stella Johnson, Rider
8. Juicy Landrum, Baylor
9. Minyon Moore, Oregon
10. Japreece Dean, UCLA

Ionesco is just like Didi Richards. She is the team's best passer but Moore is the primary person that brings the ball up the court. Landrum is not a point guard either.

This isn’t a college discussion board. This is a WNBA prospect board. What matters is what position they’ll project to in the WNBA. Can Ionescu play PG at the WNBA level? Definitely and most likely will. So it makes sense to rate her as a PG.

What’s different about Ionescu and Harris is that they have the size so they wouldn’t necessarily have to play PG at the WNBA level, but most likely there’s going to be a better options already at SG.

The others on toad’s list have to play PG at the WNBA level because of their size or it’s not likely they’ll have a sustainable WNBA career. Nobody wants a short SG, except maybe Dallas, and they’re not exactly a model of winning.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/23/20 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cute Laughing last I checked we have too many guards while Minny only has 1 in Lexie brown. Cheryl May need a short guard or two . Aren’t you guys after Dangerfield ? She’s a giant out there huh

PostPosted: 02/23/20 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Cute Laughing last I checked we have too many guards while Minny only has 1 in Lexie brown. Cheryl May need a short guard or two . Aren’t you guys after Dangerfield ? She’s a giant out there huh

Don't the Wings have too many of every position?
Dangerfield don't get no respect. But she's so tiny, all the WNBA defenders, who will average at least 2-3 feet in height over her, probably won't even notice she's on the court, allowing her to get steals and layups after running between their legs.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/23/20 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Don't the Wings have too many of every position?
Dangerfield don't get no respect. But she's so tiny, all the WNBA defenders, who will average at least 2-3 feet in height over her, probably won't even notice she's on the court, allowing her to get steals and layups after running between their legs.

Yeah that part

PostPosted: 02/23/20 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

1. Ionescu, Oregon
4. Te'a Cooper, Baylor
7. Stella Johnson, Rider
8. Juicy Landrum, Baylor
9. Minyon Moore, Oregon
10. Japreece Dean, UCLA

This isn’t a college discussion board. This is a WNBA prospect board. What matters is what position they’ll project to in the WNBA. Can Ionescu play PG at the WNBA level? Definitely and most likely will. So it makes sense to rate her as a PG.

What’s different about Ionescu and Harris is that they have the size so they wouldn’t necessarily have to play PG at the WNBA level, but most likely there’s going to be a better options already at SG.

The others on toad’s list have to play PG at the WNBA level because of their size or it’s not likely they’ll have a sustainable WNBA career. Nobody wants a short SG, except maybe Dallas, and they’re not exactly a model of winning.

The omniscient Rebkell God has spoken.

PostPosted: 02/24/20 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those that didn't see it, Beatrice Mompremier returned to action yesterday after missing the past seven weeks with an "acute foot injury". She came off the bench and had 15 points on 4/8 shooting to go with 6 rebounds in 17 minutes - though she also had 4 fouls, and Miami still lost @Boston College by 11.

Here's a little bit of insight from Miami WBB: https://hurricanesports.com/news/2020/2/24/womens-basketball-mompremier-looking-to-finish-strong.aspx

Quote:
Initially, she hoped her absence would be a short one. But as weeks went on and decisions had to be made about her recovery and rehabilitation process, she found herself fighting feelings of frustration.

Unfortunately for Miami, it's too little too late as they'd have to win the ACC Tourney to make it to the Big Dance. As it stands, the team is 13-14 overall, so Miami might even miss out on a WNIT invite. The good news is, if they did, it would theoretically give Mompremier more time between the college and pro seasons to further heal up and get her bearings.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/24/20 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Mompremier's injury and Miami likely missing the NCAA tournament will drop her into the second round. Someone will get very lucky to land her in the second round (New York? Minnesota?).

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/24/20 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think Mompremier's injury and Miami likely missing the NCAA tournament will drop her into the second round. Someone will get very lucky to land her in the second round (New York? Minnesota?).

If she puts up numbers like she did in this past game for the rest of the season - or even close to it - I personally don't see how she falls out of the first round. Centers are at a premium for this draft (and really the next one, too). For example, I could see the Storm picking her at 11 - in which we would be prepared for her absence if she had to sit out the entire season. Because the Mystics replaced Toliver with Leilani Mitchell, they arguably no longer need to draft a PG at 12 and could consider Mompremier the best player available in a scenario where she's available - surely she could beat out the shorter Myisha Hines-Allen for a spot if nothing else? Mystics could use both point guard and center depth, but even they could afford to have her sit out the season (properly, without signing a contract; not the dubious Kiara Leslie way of withholding injury information about yourself after you sign).

I predict though that she'll still go somewhere between Picks 6 and 10...

Shades

PostPosted: 02/24/20 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0m3KoK-o-Fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Shades on 02/25/20 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 02/25/20 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28776704/oregon-sabrina-ionescu-makes-history-stanford?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Quote:
Oregon guard Sabrina Ionescu on Monday night became the first college basketball player (men's or women's) to collect 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds and 1,000 assists in a career, while also recording her 26th triple-double.

I watched the game....wow what a player she is. Such a great instinct for the game and nose for the ball. I’m excited to watch her play for the Libs!

Yesterday she flew down to LA, gave a speech at the Bryant memorial this morning then flew back to the bay arriving as the team finished the pre game dinner.
And apparently she has the flu. What a special day for her to hit this milestone, 2/24/20 (Gigi, Kobe, Sabrina jersey #s).

Shades

PostPosted: 02/25/20 3:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades

PostPosted: 02/25/20 4:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bRyJQ5S8vsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LibFan25

PostPosted: 02/25/20 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For fun 2023 draft

Top 5 right now

Zia Cooke
Aliyah Boston
Hayley Jones
Rickea Jackson
Lavender Briggs

The future is in good hands

Last edited by LibFan25 on 02/25/20 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/25/20 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Indefatigable Stella Johnson Is WNBA-Ready
Howard Megdal (FiveThirtyEight)
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-indefatigable-stella-johnson-is-wnba-ready/

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/25/20 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
For fun 2024 draft

Top 5 right now

Zia Cooke
Aliyah Boston
Hayley Jones
Rickea Jackson
Lavender Briggs

The future is in good hands

This would be the 2023 Draft. Ashley Owusu, Charisma Osbourne and Ashten Pretchel have been standouts as well. We’ll see how well UND does going forward but Sam Brunelle has put up decent stats. Ayoka Lee and Aijah Blackwell - even though their teams aren’t great - both have pro-ready bodies.

2022 is a looking like a solid year as well, mostly big wings and posts.

My Top 1st Round Right Now
1. Rhyne Howard
Shakira Austin
Charli Collier
Elissa Cunane
Queen Egbo
Katlyn Gilbert
Lexie Hull
Ashley Joens
Olivia Nelson-Ododa
NaLyssa Smith
Evina Westbrook
Chrysten Williams

toad455

PostPosted: 02/25/20 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

2022 is a looking like a solid year as well, mostly big wings and posts.

My Top 1st Round Right Now
1. Rhyne Howard
Shakira Austin
Charli Collier
Elissa Cunane
Queen Egbo
Katlyn Gilbert
Lexie Hull
Ashley Joens
Olivia Nelson-Ododa
NaLyssa Smith
Evina Westbrook
Chrysten Williams

Westbrook is eligible to enter the 2021 draft early.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/25/20 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Westbrook is eligible to enter the 2021 draft early.

Actually eligible to enter this year if she wanted to.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 29 of 59

Jump to: