RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/21/20 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
How good is Aari McDonald if she were to declare? Are we talking top-5 conversation, or somewhere in the 1st round, or no one really cares?

5'6 with no three point shot and a negative ATO? Pass.

PostPosted: 02/21/20 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
How good is Aari McDonald if she were to declare? Are we talking top-5 conversation, or somewhere in the 1st round, or no one really cares?

I'd say somewhere in the 1st round, but probably not in the top half. McDonald would have to adjust to playing strictly PG at the next level (though she at least starts at the PG spot right now for Arizona). For as much as she scores, she's underrated defensively imo - very good anticipator and overall pesky defender. She is speedy enough to where she'll be able to accelerate to the rim at the next level. I'd call her a combo-/lead-guard version of Jordin Canada, as Canada is more cerebral as a true PG and was certainly better at directing an offense, as well as balancing distributing and scoring at UCLA than McDonald is now. And yes, McDonald will also have to improve her long-range shooting abilities at some point, but at least she takes those shots. Even Canada got herself up to a decent upper-30s 3PT% in her senior year, and that still hasn't translated yet. Staying in school would do McDonald (and the Arizona program) in particular good, more so than other eligible "juniors".

toad455

PostPosted: 02/21/20 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McDonald entering who likely push Dangerfield into the second round.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/21/20 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
How do people here view Carter's PG prospects at the next level?

Good!

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
There's definitely some terrific attributes. Not only in her creativity but in her toughness. That said, if you're 5'7", no matter how many physical attributes you have, you have to learn to be a primary passer. Can Carter do that?

Yes.

Her A/TO is troubling for a point guard. She appears to play more like a small shooting guard, and she's struggled from three this year.

PostPosted: 02/21/20 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

really? Dangerfield is much more efficient, knows how to help out her teammates, and unlike either McD or Carter, can actually shoot the three.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 02/21/20 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dreamfan11 wrote:
What is up with MIN? Why is everyone leaving - thought Reeve had "big FA plans" - looks like she is shedding players for some reason - how does Simone leave for her final year after a career in MIN?

I suspect Reeve was expecting both DRob and Augustus to be remain available as possible backup options while she sought out better options. Or perhaps Reeve encouraged them to seek out new opportunities. Maybe we’ll hear the real story later.

But I’m happy they both moved on. It shouldn’t be about maintaining the status quo. It should be about making progress, getting better. By letting DRob go, Reeve is admitting the DRob experiment was a huge franchise-changing mistake, and she’s moving on.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 02/21/20 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

really? Dangerfield is much more efficient, knows how to help out her teammates, and unlike either McD or Carter, can actually shoot the three.

I’d rate Dangerfield a little higher. I’d be surprised if McDonald declared early, since the odds of making a roster are pretty low beyond the first round. If you renounce your NCAA eligibility, I’d think you’d want to be guaranteed a spot.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/21/20 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
But I’m happy they both moved on. It shouldn’t be about maintaining the status quo. It should be about making progress, getting better. By letting DRob go, Reeve is admitting the DRob experiment was a huge franchise-changing mistake, and she’s moving on.

I'm not sure that trading away a that pick could've used to draft Mercedes Russell, if Reeve even would've drafted her, was that huge of a mistake.

I'd guess she's moving on because since then she landed Sims and Brown, and decided Sims & D-Rob together isn't the best combo, so is committed to Sims long-term over D-Rob, and Lexie Brown needs to get minutes somewhere too.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/21/20 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

I'm not sure that trading away a that pick could've used to draft Mercedes Russell, if Reeve even would've drafted her, was that huge of a mistake.

I don’t know if this is one of your many sarcastic posts, but I wasn’t even looking at that possible angle (Billings would have been nice too). I’m talking about not leaving themselves enough money to keep Howard. If you’re going to try to say the DRob signing had nothing to do with having enough money to keep Howard, don’t even bother responding. Reeve said it herself on a podcast.

SpaceJunkie wrote:
I'd guess she's moving on because since then she landed Sims and Brown, and decided Sims & D-Rob together isn't the best combo, so is committed to Sims long-term over D-Rob, and Lexie Brown needs to get minutes somewhere too.

That doesn’t explain why she’s moving on this year, when supposedly Sims won’t be able to play.

Vegas gave DRob a $130,000 guaranteed one year contract, which is probably better than what Reeve wanted. Gotta keep those guaranteed spots open for a surprise signing, and not just Banham.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/21/20 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ATz_pGD01bI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 02/21/20 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KyfliywXaRQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/21/20 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen people questioning whether or not Hebard can shoot away from the basket. I'm not an expert on it/her but have seen quite a few Oregon games and it looks to me like she's pretty competent out around 12-14' from the basket. She doesn't take many of those shots because she doesn't need to and that's not how they play their offense, but when she's open, I've definitely seen her knock them down.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 02/21/20 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tonight, Ionescu puts up 17 pts, 11 reb, 11 ast (in less than 3 quarters) to register her 25th career triple double.

Last edited by Shades on 02/22/20 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/22/20 2:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Disagreed. Dangerfield is certified first rd talent. McDonald entering early would not deflect nor change her projection.

PostPosted: 02/22/20 3:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like there are an awful lot of point-guard or point-guard-ish prospects in the top-20 or so this year, though. At some point we're going to run out of teams that feel like they need that kind of player (and/or Dallas will decide they have enough of them) - and a couple of them are going to fall further than expected.

PostPosted: 02/22/20 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu carving up California.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=28753859&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Ionescu hanging out with another NBA hero with daughters, Steph Curry.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=28754906&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/20 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking about this last night. The reason Sabally “declared” for the draft this early was so people would stop asking her about it. It was causing her stress.

But the announcement doesn’t mean she’s obligated to declare for the draft. She can’t officially renounce her NCAA eligibility until her last game of the season.

She might have gotten a little anger from the Oregon fans for saying she’s entering the draft, but they can’t give her too much guff because you have to support a player that may very well help your team to a national championship. If she later announces that she’s staying at Oregon, she’ll be flooded with more fan love than ever.

If she were to announce this early that she was staying at school and later declared for the draft (like other players have done in the past), that’s when the feelings of betrayal and fan anger can really set in.

Even if this isn’t an elaborate scheme to get people off her back about the draft (and I agree with those that think it’s not likely), that doesn’t mean she can’t change mind about declaring for the draft. Just keep in mind that it is still a slight possibility that Sabally will end up not officially declaring for the WNBA draft.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/22/20 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades give it up she declared her family needs the help. We all are wrong every now and then it’s ok.

PostPosted: 02/22/20 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Seems like there are an awful lot of point-guard or point-guard-ish prospects in the top-20 or so this year, though. At some point we're going to run out of teams that feel like they need that kind of player (and/or Dallas will decide they have enough of them) - and a couple of them are going to fall further than expected.

This is going to be an even bigger problem in the next draft, especially if Carter and McDonald decide to stay, with Dawn Evans, Destiny Slocum, Kiana Williams, and hopefully a healthy Tiana Mangakahia all looking like potential first rounders. Outside of them you’ve got one big guard in Patberg, a true wing in Megan Walker, an undersized 4 that will have to transition down in Michaela Onyenwere, and a couple of relatively underwhelming posts in Janelle Bailey and Natasha Mack as you’re top tier currently. Arella Guirantes and Lindsey Pulliam are other first round candidates but, again, both are under 6’0”. 2021 might be the weakest draft for interior players in the history of the league.

On the other hand 2022 looks post heavy with Cunane, Nelson-Ododa, Austin, Smith & Egbo, and Collier all coming out. EDIT: Also a good number of quality wings this year, especially Rhyne Howard who is probably #1 right now. Chrysten Williams, Lexie Hull, Ashley Joens and maybe Engstler and Mikesell could all be in contention for the first round; while the best guard prospect under 5’11 is probably Destanni Henderson. *Oops forgot about Evina Westbrook.

Last edited by PickledGinger on 02/23/20 12:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/22/20 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Natasha Mack is yet another one who's comfortably old enough to declare this year if she wants to.

PostPosted: 02/22/20 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Natasha Mack is yet another one who's comfortably old enough to declare this year if she wants to.

Yes, indeed! Smile

PostPosted: 02/22/20 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yes, indeed! Smile

I think she waits until 2021. Possibly a lottery pick if her game improves next season.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/22/20 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In terms of ranking the PGs of this draft, here's mine:

1. Ionescu, Oregon
2. Tyasha Harris, South Carolina
3. Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M*
4. Te'a Cooper, Baylor
5. Aari McDonald, Arizona*
6. Crystal Dangerfield, UCONN
7. Stella Johnson, Rider
8. Juicy Landrum, Baylor
9. Minyon Moore, Oregon
10. Japreece Dean, UCLA

*early entry if she declares

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/22/20 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
In terms of ranking the PGs of this draft, here's mine:

1. Ionescu, Oregon
2. Tyasha Harris, South Carolina
3. Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M*
4. Te'a Cooper, Baylor
5. Aari McDonald, Arizona*
6. Crystal Dangerfield, UCONN
7. Stella Johnson, Rider
8. Juicy Landrum, Baylor
9. Minyon Moore, Oregon
10. Japreece Dean, UCLA

*early entry if she declares

I think you're mixing up shooting guards with PGs.

- Amanda Gorman
dreamfan11

PostPosted: 02/22/20 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She probably declared to participate in Senior Night.

Shades wrote:
I was thinking about this last night. The reason Sabally “declared” for the draft this early was so people would stop asking her about it. It was causing her stress.

But the announcement doesn’t mean she’s obligated to declare for the draft. She can’t officially renounce her NCAA eligibility until her last game of the season.

She might have gotten a little anger from the Oregon fans for saying she’s entering the draft, but they can’t give her too much guff because you have to support a player that may very well help your team to a national championship. If she later announces that she’s staying at Oregon, she’ll be flooded with more fan love than ever.

If she were to announce this early that she was staying at school and later declared for the draft (like other players have done in the past), that’s when the feelings of betrayal and fan anger can really set in.

Even if this isn’t an elaborate scheme to get people off her back about the draft (and I agree with those that think it’s not likely), that doesn’t mean she can’t change mind about declaring for the draft. Just keep in mind that it is still a slight possibility that Sabally will end up not officially declaring for the WNBA draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 28 of 59

Jump to: