Board Junkies Forums

2020 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 09/17/19 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Randy wrote:
I'd rather have Carter than yet another undersized post. That counts on 2 players to declare early, so may not happen. In that case, maybe they go for Dangermouse. I haven't paid much attention to most of these players so I will have some games to watch in the months ahead.

I could really see the Dream trading the pick. They do that a lot.

Mompremier is at least 3" taller than EWill so not sure what you mean by undersized. She's listed at 6'4 but I would bet she's taller and EWill is more like 6'2"

I hope you are right if it turns out like that. I'll be keeping my eye on her. No question Williams is undersized.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/17/19 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Randy wrote:
I'd rather have Carter than yet another undersized post. That counts on 2 players to declare early, so may not happen. In that case, maybe they go for Dangermouse. I haven't paid much attention to most of these players so I will have some games to watch in the months ahead.

Mompremier is at least 3" taller than EWill so not sure what you mean by undersized. She's listed at 6'4 but I would bet she's taller and EWill is more like 6'2"

I hope you are right if it turns out like that. I'll be keeping my eye on her. No question Williams is undersized.

Pictures can't be trusted, but they can make you feel better.Wink Mompremier (12) looks taller than Turner, Wilson, and Shepard.

PostPosted: 09/17/19 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Old pictures especially can’t be trusted.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/17/19 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Old pictures especially can’t be trusted.

Quote:
Most girls reach their adult height by age 14 or 15. This age could be younger depending on when a girl first gets her period.

https://www.healthline.com/health/when-do-girls-stop-growing

PostPosted: 09/17/19 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Randy wrote:

While Atlanta slipped defensively this year, last year's performance demonstrated that a team with undersized posts can still defend well.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 5:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I thought I was the only one who wanted Carter as well....I personally haven't seen what's so impressive about Cox's game and how it would translate to the next level!!!

pilight

PostPosted: 09/18/19 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Randy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Randy wrote:

While Atlanta slipped defensively this year, last year's performance demonstrated that a team with undersized posts can still defend well.

Also, LaToya Sanders is smaller than Williams

PostPosted: 09/18/19 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem with Williams isn't just her size - it's her lack of effort, lack of any kind of offense, her 45% shooting, her not fully showing up until July and then only about half the games after that. I could go on and on. But I imagine she would look a lot better in a Mystics uniform as would most players. Maybe not as good as Sanders though.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/18/19 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

But, but how tall were these players at age 15? That’s really the important thing here.

Have the defensive teams been named yet? I’d be surprised if Williams wasn’t on it.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/18/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

But, but how tall were these players at age 15? That’s really the important thing here.

Now you're just sounding desperate. That was a U18 team where most if not all the players were 17 or 17½. Maybe one player was an outlier and still growing, but to imply they were all potentially still growing is nonsense.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Have the defensive teams been named yet? I’d be surprised if Williams wasn’t on it.

They have and she wasn't

PostPosted: 09/18/19 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Now you're just sounding desperate. That was a U18 team where most if not all the players were 17 or 17½. Maybe one player was an outlier and still growing, but to imply they were all potentially still growing is nonsense.

Most of them grow an inch or more when they put on basketball shoes and are measured for rosters. Thanks for putting up the picture. I think maybe that top of head height is not as important the height where the shoulders meet the neck. Some players have really long necks, others have really short necks (e.g. Renee Montgomery, or maybe just bad posture.) A long neck doesn't seem like much of a benefit for basketball. It is also really hard sometimes to figure out where the top the head is anyway.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/18/19 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Most of them grow an inch or more when they put on basketball shoes and are measured for rosters. Thanks for putting up the picture. I think maybe that top of head height is not as important the height where the shoulders meet the neck. Some players have really long necks, others have really short necks (e.g. Renee Montgomery, or maybe just bad posture.) A long neck doesn't seem like much of a benefit for basketball. It is also really hard sometimes to figure out where the top the head is anyway.

Height is height -- long neck or short neck, big head or little head. Obviously, the actual relevant measurement is reach. That's why people with long arms play bigger than their height, like Delisha Milton-Jones. What would be useful is if we had reach statistics as well as vertical leap. But we don't.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right and I think the shoulders are next best thing, albeit not very good.

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/18/19 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, are you using a magic marker to blackout all the heads and necks so you can focus on the shoulders? The thing is you have to memorize which numbers go with which names because you won't be able to recognize the players after you decapitate them.

PostPosted: 09/18/19 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
So, are you using a magic marker to blackout all the heads and necks so you can focus on the shoulders? The thing is you have to memorize which numbers go with which names because you won't be able to recognize the players after you decapitate them.

I just eyeball it. Laughing

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/19/19 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, journalists are suddenly projecting that Sabally will come out early. Given that her sister recently blew-out her reconstructed ACL and will miss another season, the only way Satou gets to play with Nyara is if she stays for her senior year. My guess before the injury was that Satou would stay. Now, my conviction is even stronger.

PostPosted: 09/19/19 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
So, journalists are suddenly projecting that Sabally will come out early. Given that her sister recently blew-out her reconstructed ACL and will miss another season, the only way Satou gets to play with Nyara is if she stays for her senior year. My guess before the injury was that Satou would stay. Now, my conviction is even stronger.

I will go the other direction and say she's coming out for sure. Her sister may never play again, and Oregon loses starters Minyon Moore, Ruthie Hebard and Ionescu, among others, so this is the year.

PostPosted: 09/19/19 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I will go the other direction and say she's coming out for sure. Her sister may never play again, and Oregon loses starters Minyon Moore, Ruthie Hebard and Ionescu, among others, so this is the year.

I think she definitely enters if Oregon wins the championship.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/19/19 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Where are you getting this? Do you have a source?

PostPosted: 09/19/19 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw an article that said that re reconstructed ACL's had a failure rate of around 14%. This is much higher than the initial reconstruction, but still means an 86% success rate. Of course I don't know how many of those 86% can still go back to hard contact, twisting and turning that is required in basketball. But it seems way to early to write off the younger Sabally.

- Amanda Gorman
root_thing

PostPosted: 09/19/19 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I saw an article that said that re reconstructed ACL's had a failure rate of around 14%. This is much higher than the initial reconstruction, but still means an 86% success rate. Of course I don't know how many of those 86% can still go back to hard contact, twisting and turning that is required in basketball. But it seems way to early to write off the younger Sabally.

There is the extreme case of Jacki Gemelos who had five ACL surgeries in five years. She is about to start another season of pro ball in Greece.

PostPosted: 09/19/19 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No source ... but two ACLs is scary ...

And the sister could just go back to Europe and make some money before her knees give out.

But if the sister does return, maybe Satou will.

PostPosted: 09/19/19 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a likelihood that Nancy Mulkey enters early, too. She seems.like a project with a lot of potential. Mid-second rounder?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 10/08/19 2:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2020 WNBA Mock-Draft: Volume 1
https://winsidr.com/2019/10/03/2020-wnba-mock-draft-volume-1/

Winsidr dipping their toe into the mock draft game.
Look at the link for explanations. They offer lengthier summaries than most.

1) New York – Sabrina Ionescu
2) Dallas – Lauren Cox
3) Indiana – Beatrice Mompremier
It’s becoming a habit seeing her this high. The author says it becomes unpredictable after the first two picks. If Carter declares, for me at this point she rates as the better player. Sabally rates higher too, but they fail to recognize her as draft eligible.
4) Atlanta – Chennedy Carter
5) Phoenix – Crystal Dangerfield
6) Minnesota – Mikayla Pivec
Not feeling this pick for Minnesota. I’m not sure I’d even like her at #14, tbh. #6 is a tricky spot where you miss out on the good stuff, and the rest rates about the same through the first round. I’ve always like Slocom if she comes out. I’m intrigued by Alarie. Charles could be a possibility. It’d be a good year to trade the pick if it was a worthwhile deal.
7) Seattle – Tynice Martin
Talent-wise maybe she rates this high, but she’s been getting into trouble lately. There was the getting busted with a controlled substance last year. This year she’s had domestic violence issue. She could be the next Riquna Williams and drop to the second round because of it.
8) Chicago – Ruthy Hebard
9) Dallas – Kitija Laksa
Not really seeing the fit. I’d have a hard time passing on Alarie at this point.
10) Connecticut – Bella Alarie
11) Connecticut – Kaila Charles
12) Washington – Mikiah Herbert-Harrigan
Thibault likes to make weird picks and sometimes he gets lucky, so this pick would fit his m.o. Sorry to the Herbert-Harrigan fan out there, but this is too high.

Other potential first-round picks:
Erica Ogwumike - No way
Japreece Dean - No way
Tyasha Harris - Maybe
Te’a Cooper - Maybe
Joyner Holmes - Maybe

Last edited by Shades on 10/08/19 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 9 of 59

Jump to: