RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/27/20 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Laughing well, I kinda thought like you last year, but this year I've tried to key in and specifically watch Hebard more and have realized that a) she really does have a lot of 'moves'; b) her positioning is great, c) she has fabulous hands, and d) like I said before, I truly think she helps Sabrina as much as Sabrina helps her. Does she still have a lot to learn? yep!

And...since I had Gustafson on my fantasy team, I did watch her quite a lot (happily I might add!). I think Hebard can deal with contact better than Megan can, but neither of them are stellar defensively. I also think Ruthy will do better off the bench as a C until she can get a bit more range to operate as a PF. I'm not saying she's a lottery pick, but do think she's a middle first rounder and has a lot of potential, more than Megan, or Anigwe for that matter. JMO.

After more thought, I believe what might benefit Hebard at the pro level is the wider lane. That’s where greater agility is an asset. To avoid violations, you need to be quicker getting in and out of the paint but it also gives you extra room to maneuver when you have the ball.

Like you, I believe Hebard will be a middle 1st Round pick. However, I’m not convinced she’s going to have much more impact right away than last year’s second tier post players. That goes with my general feeling (which appears to be the consensus) that this draft pool is relatively weak.

PostPosted: 02/28/20 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CY7GeX0RxwU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 02/28/20 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW - Height Police - what about Sabrina? If Oregon is lying about Ruthy, why wouldn't they do the same with Sabrina? And for that matter what about Satou?

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 02/28/20 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
BTW - Height Police - what about Sabrina? If Oregon is lying about Ruthy, why wouldn't they do the same with Sabrina? And for that matter what about Satou?

https://goducks.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/2018-19

Going back to this picture, in which unfortunately Sabrina is sitting, she appears to be sitting up straight and is listed as 5’11, sitting next to 5’9 Yaeger. Also sitting but in the opposite side is 6’1 listed Gildon, who could be slouching but it’s hard to tell, but Gildon looks like the shortest player sitting.

So maybe they are lying about everyone?
Either way I’m not worried about Ionescu’s height too much as a guard, who seems to have decent enough height, and the shorter she really may be the more impressive her rebounding prowess becomes.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/28/20 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Randy wrote:

https://goducks.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/2018-19

Going back to this picture, in which unfortunately Sabrina is sitting, she appears to be sitting up straight and is listed as 5’11, sitting next to 5’9 Yaeger. Also sitting but in the opposite side is 6’1 listed Gildon, who could be slouching but it’s hard to tell, but Gildon looks like the shortest player sitting.

So maybe they are lying about everyone?
Either way I’m not worried about Ionescu’s height too much as a guard, who seems to have decent enough height, and the shorter she really may be the more impressive her rebounding prowess becomes.

With height pictures, the leg spread when standing needs consideration. When sitting all people have different body dimensions, especially torso height versus leg and arm length.

I'd say standing is a more apparent assessment than sitting by a long shot, when trying to assess height. Long legs short torso versus shorter legs with a longer torso.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/28/20 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/CoachLangley/status/1231402447911952386

Quote:
she's already been accepted to med school

At least if E. Ogwumike tries out for a W team and doesn't make it, she has a budding career in the medical field to fall back on.

According to the graphic Langley's re-posting, Erica Ogwumike is the "second active player in NCAA Div. I to reach 2000 points and 1000 rebounds"... but Oregon currently has two players in Ionescu and Hebard that have reached those numbers? Did they mean she's the "second active guard in Div. I" to reach this milestone? Or am I just reading this wrong?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/28/20 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Quote:

At least if E. Ogwumike tries out for a W team and doesn't make it, she has a budding career in the medical field to fall back on.

According to the graphic Langley's re-posting, Erica Ogwumike is the "second active player in NCAA Div. I to reach 2000 points and 1000 rebounds"... but Oregon currently has two players in Ionescu and Hebard that have reached those numbers? Did they mean she's the "second active guard in Div. I" to reach this milestone? Or am I just reading this wrong?

That tweet she's quoting is from Feb 22, which is two days before Ionescu got there. So if Hebard's the only other one, it was correct when posted.

PostPosted: 02/28/20 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Griner, Fowles, Stewart, Alleyne, Brown all have over 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds. I'm sure there are likely more.

PostPosted: 02/28/20 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Griner, Fowles, Stewart, Alleyne, Brown all have over 2,000 points and 1,000 rebounds. I'm sure there are likely more.

I believe there are 164 in NCAA era - https://twitter.com/herhoopstats/status/1232130941629476864?s=20 - but it specified 'active'. I can just about believe that Ogwumike, Hebard and Ionescu are the only ones there currently playing college basketball.

PostPosted: 02/28/20 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, "active" makes a difference. Otherwise, I was going to point out that Armintie Price was a guard who had 2000 points and a thousand rebounds.

PostPosted: 02/28/20 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Quote:

That tweet she's quoting is from Feb 22, which is two days before Ionescu got there. So if Hebard's the only other one, it was correct when posted.

Omg thank you Embarassed I am... not surprised that I did in fact misread it lolololol. I’m also not surprised that Hebard was the first currently-active player, but I am surprised that even now there’s only the 3 of them. There doesn’t even appear to be another active mid-major player out there that’s gotten there.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/29/20 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rYcalkNifPE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y_3Z7xB41yY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ionescu wouldn’t have to miss Hebard if NYL were able to trade Charles to Dallas for #5 and whatever else it would take. I was thinking maybe #5 + #7 (or maybe Thornton) + #15 for Charles.

I think Dallas will be under pressure to deal for some big piece, or else they risk a lot of assets going to waste.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/29/20 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would Charles agree to play in Dallas?

Unless that’s a “after the 15th day of the season” move.

PostPosted: 02/29/20 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Why would Charles agree to play in Dallas?

Unless that’s a “after the 15th day of the season” move.

Can’t find the original discussion to refer back to, so I’ll ask: does the core designation automatically expire on March 15th? Or is that just when the Liberty front office can decide to remove it from her status?

Edit: Thanks, Richyyy!

Last edited by Stormeo on 02/29/20 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/29/20 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The core designation does not expire (until next season). The team can withdraw it, if they so choose, although depending on when they want to do that the player sometimes has to consent (because it means giving up that 1yr/max qualifying offer that comes with the designation). The Core Qualifying Offer (that automatic 1yr/max deal) does expire on March 7, but that doesn't mean she becomes a true free agent. It just means that any contract they sign technically has to be a new document.

That 15th day of the season thing remains irrelevant unless she actually signs a contract at some point. That's the point at which players who were signed as free agents or draft rookies in the offseason can be traded, even without their consent.

PostPosted: 03/01/20 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Thibault was doing color commentary on ESPN2 for the Maryland @ Minnesota game today. Reeve was in attendance to see the Gophers get embarrassed in a beat down 99-44.

Relevant Maryland seniors
Charles 15 pts (6-9, 3-5 FT), 3 reb, 4 ast, 2 stl in 26 min
SJones 13 pts (4-6, 5-5 FT), 4 reb, 2 ast, 2 stl in 23 min
Watson 0pts (0-3, 0-3 3P), 3 reb, 4 ast, 4 stl in 21 min

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/01/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little late, but in my opinion:

Hebard is 6-3.

Gustafson has more and more sophisticated back-to-the-basket skills than Hebard, and also showed a more consistent mid-range jump shot in college. Hebard may have more athletic talent. Gustafson's relatively insufficient height for a WNBA center, probably also 6-3, inhibits her ability to execute her back-to-the-basket and paint skills against WNBA bigs. Hebard may also be so inhibited, especially if she doesn't have a Borg mind meld guard to play with in the pros.

Sabally can play the 3 or 4, but would be more versatile as a roving 3 on the right team. A la Breanna Stewart, whatever one calls her. As a 4, Sabally's very good three-point shot and athletic driving skills would be less useful.
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/01/20 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
A little late, but in my opinion:

Hebard is 6-3.

Gustafson has more and more sophisticated back-to-the-basket skills than Hebard, and also showed a more consistent mid-range jump shot in college. Hebard may have more athletic talent. Gustafson's relatively insufficient height for a WNBA center, probably also 6-3, inhibits her ability to execute her back-to-the-basket and paint skills against WNBA bigs. Hebard may also be so inhibited, especially if she doesn't have a Borg mind meld guard to play with in the pros.

Sabally can play the 3 or 4, but would be more versatile as a roving 3 on the right team. A la Breanna Stewart, whatever one calls her. As a 4, Sabally's very good three-point shot and athletic driving skills would be less useful.

Thanks for your assessment of Hebard which I do agree with. What I am trying to understand is why so many people within the women's basketball community rate her as an All-American level player. Confused

PostPosted: 03/01/20 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
As a 4, Sabally's very good three-point shot and athletic driving skills would be less useful.

I thought this would actually be more useful. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/01/20 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Dallas is eyeing Sabally at #2 & Hebard at #5. Always a bonus to get two top players from the same school in the draft. Then a PG at #7. This is assuming at this point they keep all their picks before the draft.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/01/20 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I think Dallas is eyeing Sabally at #2 & Hebard at #5. Always a bonus to get two top players from the same school in the draft. Then a PG at #7. This is assuming at this point they keep all their picks before the draft.

This I want to see. A Texas team passing on a home grown Texas player who is tall, strong, skilled, with long arms. Cool

PostPosted: 03/01/20 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
toad455 wrote:

This I want to see. A Texas team passing on a home grown Texas player who is tall, strong, skilled, with long arms. Cool

Me, too.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/02/20 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Solution

Dallas can trade the #5 pick and something to Indy (Thorton? Harrison? #7) for the #3 pick

Dallas drafts both Cox #2 and Sabally #3

Jefferson, Ogunbowale, Sabally, Cox, (The future big 3) Harrison
#9 (Dangerfield, Cooper or Harris), Gray, KLS (what ever is left between Thorton, Harrison and #7) Anigwe, Gustafson, IMS

Wheeler, T. Mitchell, Thorton, Dupree, McCowan
K. Mitchell, Burke, S. Johnson, Vivians, #5 (Holmes, Hebard, Allarie a future Dupree replacement), Achonwa, Mavunga or Kea

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/02/20 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Hebard does deserve to be a college All-American this season -- second or third team. Gustafson was an AA and won some NPOY awards.

However, both have weaknesses for the WNBA level. Both are a little too short to execute their paint moves from the 5 with the consistency they did in college, especially self-creation moves. Hebard may not have a good enough outside shot to be a 4, much less a three. It remains to be seen. Sabally, from the get-go, is much more likely to be an all-over-the-court offensive threat than either, and she seems to be an inch taller than both.

I have more questions about Cox than Sabally as an offensive contributor. Cox may have an inch+ on Hebard and Gustafson and be a better defender, but she doesn't seem to have the paint move skills or offensive quickness of either. Not sure about her outside shooting but she surely doesn't have Sabally's range.
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/02/20 2:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cox has range, hasn’t really displayed it this season. Hebard has never even attempted a three point shot in her career.

Pound for pound, if we’re looking at every attribute and intangible I’d say Cox is the better player. Not sure if that means Cox will be better at the next level..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 31 of 59

Jump to: