RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fan Conduct in Oregon State-Southern Cal Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 02/18/18 7:03 pm    ::: Fan Conduct in Oregon State-Southern Cal Game Reply Reply with quote

End of Ore St USC game had some drama.

https://twitter.com/OOSSUUgirl/status/965366268940267521

@OOSSUUgirl
Some kind of drama after the game, USC #35 comes charging out of the locker room towards the crowd behind the beaver bench to confront some fans, she had to be restrained by other USC coaches & walked back to their locker room. @BeaverAthletics @BeaverWBB 🤷🏻‍♀️

Then a Southern Can player provides details:

@MinyonMoore
Oregon state fans calling us n****** after the end of the game great sportsmanship Corvallis!!!

@MinyonMoore
Oregon state thinks they have the best fans... no you have racist fans. Calling players “you black girls”, “black b****” and “you n******” is unacceptable. @Pac12Network @pac12 you need to address this @BeaverWBB .

Then the father of a Utah player said he's heard stories of the same thing happening.

@kookiebean
Replying to @MinyonMoore @hoopism and 3 others
Wow, I heard this was going on. Glad you said something. Hopefully your voice is heard

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/18/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kristen Simon is #35 and she is one tough player. It is a true shame these things go on, I like Scott Rueck and the Oregon St team and have found them to be classy so I hope they take care of these issues quickly. What most bothers me is that an incident like this should be handled by the fans around the offender(s) immediately identifying them. It should never become a player against a crowd.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/18/18 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a follow up article from the Corvallis Gazette

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/usc-player-accuses-oregon-state-fans-of-racial-slurs/article_f8210c72-8bce-5a21-b89c-5326f06c1610.html

Another point which I hesitate to add because I'm sure it had anything to do with the incident, but I find ironic:

Today was Senior Day for Oregon St's only senior, Marie Gulich. In honor of her they sung the German national anthem before the game.

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/18/18 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is disturbing to read. Hopefully the offenders are identified quickly and Oregon State addresses very quickly and wholly. Not a good look, to say the very least

linkster

PostPosted: 02/19/18 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's also wrong to label 5000 fans as racists because of one or a few fans fit the name. This past summer the same thing came to a head at Fenway Park after a Yankee outfielder reported being called a N_____ by fans sitting above the green monster. It was corroborated by players from several other teams. The heat fell on the Fenway Park staff and the Red Sox front office who never did anything about it until it became a national issue. I would say that the onus is on the Gill Coliseum security staff to clean up their act.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/19/18 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"behind the beaver bench" seems like a hard place to get away with yelling the N-word. Must have been someone right over by the opening where the players go to the locker room.

I wonder if the player was asked to delete the tweets by someone in authority or was it on her own volition - and in either case - why?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/19/18 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
It's also wrong to label 5000 fans as racists because of one or a few fans fit the name. This past summer the same thing came to a head at Fenway Park after a Yankee outfielder reported being called a N_____ by fans sitting above the green monster. It was corroborated by players from several other teams. The heat fell on the Fenway Park staff and the Red Sox front office who never did anything about it until it became a national issue. I would say that the onus is on the Gill Coliseum security staff to clean up their act.

Agree 95%. The Fenway issue was with Adam Jones of the Orioles, not the Yankees. And it is wrong to blame ALL fans. But it does bother me (and as a Red Sox fan it bothered me last summer) that the fans around the offenders didn't speak up. Hopefully they have by now.

I completely agree with your conclusion. This is a bad look for OSU, made worse because Samantha Bee just reminded people of Oregon's black exclusion laws . Gill Coliseum and Oregon St need to address this issue promptly.

stever

PostPosted: 02/26/18 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beavers-sports/fan-accused-of-making-derogatory-remarks-banned-from-next-two/article_1595b0d1-52fb-5942-bb0a-6ddb8524495a.html

stever

PostPosted: 02/26/18 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.gazettetimes.com/sports/beavers-sports/fan-accused-of-making-derogatory-remarks-banned-from-next-two/article_1595b0d1-52fb-5942-bb0a-6ddb8524495a.html

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/27/18 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad to see that OSU stepped up and did a quick and thorough investigation. The penalty may be light, but I applaud OSU for quickly doing their job. As long as this type of ugliness does not repeat itself I believe that everyone can move forward. South Carolina and Missouri from Oregon State.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/27/18 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In Trump's america, there aren't more racists, they're just less restrained.

PostPosted: 02/27/18 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

They only discovered one fan taunting, and he was not using racial taunts and it appears he was only taunting one player:

Quote:
“The investigation findings acknowledge the very serious concerns reported by USC players,” Clark said. “The investigation did not discover the location of any fans using racially derogatory statements directed at USC student-athletes or the team. However, the investigation did find that during the game a fan continuously directed taunts and personally derogatory statements at one USC player.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/27/18 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“...However, the investigation did find that during the game a fan continuously directed taunts and personally derogatory statements at one USC player.

I hate taunting and all that stuff, but don't things like the above quote happen pretty much at every sporting event across the country, college or pro? Almost every event I have ever attended (college/pro football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc), there has always been taunting and "personally derogatory statements" hurled at players from the visiting team and have sometimes been directed at a single player. It would seem to me that this unnamed "fan" was basically called out for doing something that probably tens of thousands or more fans have done.

LitePal

PostPosted: 02/27/18 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="purduefanatic"][quote]“...However, the investigation did find that during the game a fan continuously directed taunts and personally derogatory statements at[b] one USC player[/b].[/quote]

I hate taunting and all that stuff, but don't things like the above quote happen pretty much at every sporting event across the country, college or pro? Almost every event I have ever attended (college/pro football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc), there has always been taunting and "personally derogatory statements" hurled at players from the visiting team and have sometimes been directed at a single player. It would seem to me that this unnamed "fan" was basically called out for doing something that probably tens of thousands or more fans have done.[/quote]

If the "n" word was directed towards one player (and ironically, that player was the same one referred to as a "thug" on these boards), a team of primarily AA players would likely take offense.

As I related before, when Mike Neighbors mouthed a racial slur towards a Filipino man at a UCLA game, there were Asian American kids in the vicinity who definitely saw it.

The fact that the AD and Rueck took the situation as seriously as they did says a great deal about them.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/27/18 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Quote:
“...However, the investigation did find that during the game a fan continuously directed taunts and personally derogatory statements at one USC player.

I hate taunting and all that stuff, but don't things like the above quote happen pretty much at every sporting event across the country, college or pro? Almost every event I have ever attended (college/pro football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc), there has always been taunting and "personally derogatory statements" hurled at players from the visiting team and have sometimes been directed at a single player. It would seem to me that this unnamed "fan" was basically called out for doing something that probably tens of thousands or more fans have done.

If the "n" word was directed towards one player (and ironically, that player was the same one referred to as a "thug" on these boards), a team of primarily AA players would likely take offense.

As I related before, when Mike Neighbors mouthed a racial slur towards a Filipino man at a UCLA game, there were Asian American kids in the vicinity who definitely saw it.

The fact that the AD and Rueck took the situation as seriously as they did says a great deal about them.

If you read the article, you would see that their investigation found that there was no use of any racial slur. So......

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/27/18 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
LitePal wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Quote:

If you read the article, you would see that their investigation found that there was no use of any racial slur. So......

Actually, the article declares that this one specific fan did not use racial slurs, and that the investigation "did not discover the location of any fans using racially derogatory statements directed at USC student-athletes or the team." Neither the article nor OSU's investigation appear to have definitively determined that there was no use of any racial slur.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 02/27/18 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
LitePal wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Quote:

Actually, the article declares that this one specific fan did not use racial slurs, and that the investigation "did not discover the location of any fans using racially derogatory statements directed at USC student-athletes or the team." Neither the article nor OSU's investigation appear to have definitively determined that there was no use of any racial slur.

While all that is true, my point was that the one single fan that they decided to suspend for the next 2 home games did NOT use racial slurs. However, he was still suspended for conduct that occurs in pretty much every gym, arena, stadium, etc. Thus, my comment that you responded was clearly in reference to that one single fan.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/27/18 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
LitePal wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Quote:

While all that is true, my point was that the one single fan that they decided to suspend for the next 2 home games did NOT use racial slurs. However, he was still suspended for conduct that occurs in pretty much every gym, arena, stadium, etc. Thus, my comment that you responded was clearly in reference to that one single fan.

Sorry, I didn't happen to recognize your passive-voice phrasing ("there was no use of any racial slur") as referential to just one single fan.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/28/18 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

They only discovered one fan taunting, and he was not using racial taunts and it appears he was only taunting one player:

Quote:
“The investigation findings acknowledge the very serious concerns reported by USC players,” Clark said. “The investigation did not discover the location of any fans using racially derogatory statements directed at USC student-athletes or the team. However, the investigation did find that during the game a fan continuously directed taunts and personally derogatory statements at one USC player.

my statement is generic, and i maintain it is accurate.

that said, is the tweet an outright lie? In Trump's America...

PostPosted: 02/28/18 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually I spent some time on the Oregon St. forum and more details were revealed than the media dealt with. Putting together the events in sequence my assumptions pretty much matched the final conclusion.

As far as the investigation it was more inclusive than just that one fan. They reviewed the sound and tape of the game and ask people in the area if they had heard anything. That would include players and coaches in the area where that was supposed to have happened.

The SC player who tweeted did not hear anything herself but only got information second hand. Simon who made that claim came back out of the locker room and confronted the fan who had been harassing her. She was taken back by her own players one of which told her the slurs were not racist. There were many witnesses to that second incident and nothing racist transpired.

The incident that was to have triggered Simons reaction could only have taken place in an area that would have been heard by other fans players and coaches. The investigators talked to people and no one heard anything. Now you might ask why would Simon make that claim if nothing happened? Well there is a plausible explanation that does not point to Simon fabricating the entire story. That would involve her mental health issues.

The game was very physical which the refs let get somewhat out of hand. Simon got her fifth foul with minutes to play and the game still in doubt. It was a totally unnecessary foul away from any action right in front of an official. She just pushed an Oregon Player to the floor. Really strange! Very similar to a previous foul she was hit with. It seemed that her emotions just got the best of her.

So she fouls out and immediately gets harassed by the fans who are upset by her in game behavior. Which serves the purpose of getting her more angry and emotional stressed. Certain people under stressful circumstances tend to blend two separate but similar situations into one. They can confuse what happen in the past with the present. I have witnessed people do this more than once. She probably believed it was racial. There is no reason to believe otherwise because witnesses stated she was in tears. I suspect the tweet was deleted because the tweeter found out that it probably did not happen as she was led to believe.

Now I personally think it makes no difference if the personal slurs were racial or not. They both serve the same purpose. To demean the individual they are directed at. An individual like Simon has enough on her plate do deal with without being hit with personal insults. It doesn't matter what her behavior was or what she did on the court. Two wrongs do not make a right.

One of the problems with PC is that it focuses on one thing to the detriment of other things just as egregious. The P in the PG can stand for either personal or political either one has the potential to being agenda driven. The focus should be on treating every person with respect irregardless of what you think of them personally. That sense of civility and propriety has been lost in our society today. People are constantly looking for reasons to justify the suspension of treating other with respect.

People will generally feel less comfortable around differences. That will not change until they have been around each other for some time. Still if people treated each other with respect that would be an important step. I have never had a problem being around people who were different, in fact I have always sought it out. Probably because it is easy for me to identify and see commonality with where others see difference. If people really took the effort they would find that real commonality lies beneath the surface. You can not judge it by outward appearance. Some people just lack the insight or ability to recognize that. . We should not expect everyone to have the same perspective or beliefs, but what should be expected of everyone is that they respect each other and treat others with consideration and equality.

Last edited by willtalk on 02/28/18 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 02/28/18 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
tfan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Quote:

my statement is generic, and i maintain it is accurate.

I think you'd have to cite evidence other than this situation in order to try and make your case.

Quote:

that said, is the tweet an outright lie? In Trump's America...

I think it is more likely that she embellished in her (later deleted) tweets, what was said in the taunting than OSU couldn't find out who was yelling the N word from "behind the OSU bench". If she could hear the N word (or whatever) being said from where she was on the court, the players (at least one who is black) and the coaches (assistant athletic director - women's basketball is black) would have heard it even better sitting on or one row behind the bench. As I said before, the only way it would seem to be possible if USC left the court over by the OSU bench and someone sitting right on the edge of the stands said something as they went by (since at least one player went into the stands there should be a good idea where they were sitting). But as I wondered before - why did she delete the tweets? Did she decide, or did someone counsel her that - even though racist things were said - she should not publicly point that out? Did USC or the PAC-12 consider those tweets as violation of policy? Or did she decide her embellishment went too far?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: