RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

3 on 3 Added to 2020 olympics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/09/17 10:21 am    ::: 3 on 3 Added to 2020 olympics Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
IOC President Thomas Bach says the 2020 Games will become "more youthful, more urban and will include more women."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2017/06/09/3-on-3-basketball-added-to-2020-tokyo-olympic-program/102667420/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 06/09/17 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh now Candace can finally make the Olympics again Rolling Eyes (side note: idk why but I'm totally 'that guy' who don't like the Sparks...there wasn't a Rebkell to display my dislike for them in the early 2000's but now it's found me again lol)

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/10/17 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very interesting. Wondering how they will pick their 3x3 team. I like it!

- Amanda Gorman
wnbashockballa

PostPosted: 06/11/17 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think 3X3 will be college players like they been using , but still won't rule out using WNBA players

PostPosted: 06/11/17 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if players will compete in a tournament as teams with the winning team becoming the US team like they do now, or if they will pick individuals to form the four person Olympic team.

I hope the former.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/11/17 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbashockballa wrote:
I think 3X3 will be college players like they been using , but still won't rule out using WNBA players

They could use a mix. For example, I'd love to see Diggins, Loyd, Turner and Ogunbowale - each of which has won a 3x3 world championship gold medal already at either the open or U18 level - team together and compete to be the Olympic team.

I doubt that will happen since two of them would likely prefer to compete for the 5x5 Olympic team.

Loyd was spectacular in the 3x3.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/11/17 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another stupid addition to the Olympics.

PostPosted: 06/11/17 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

"What are you bitching about, Dee? You and Sue both said you wanted to be in the 2020 Olympics. Here you are."

(now with spelling variations)
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/11/17 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

"What are you bitching about, Dee? You and Sue both said you wanted to be in the 2020 Olympics. Here you are."

What? You mean Geno's gonna pick the 3x3 team too? Wink

linkster

PostPosted: 06/12/17 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's a good idea.

I'm surprised that more posters aren't supporting it. Many of them have expressed the POV that UConn's dominance is bad for NCAA basketball but don't express the same sentiment about the USA team's dominance of international play. 3X3 will give more teams a chance. A lot of countries can't put 12 outstanding players on a team but can field a pretty good 3X3 team.

willtalk

PostPosted: 06/13/17 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I'm surprised that more posters aren't supporting it. Many of them have expressed the POV that UConn's dominance is bad for NCAA basketball but don't express the same sentiment about the USA team's dominance of international play. 3X3 will give more teams a chance. A lot of countries can't put 12 outstanding players on a team but can field a pretty good 3X3 team.

So adding another event that requires four more players will just dilute the talent field even more for those countries and only help countries that are loaded with talent. The only way that might work for them is if they do not field a regular team and just enter the 3x3 event. And that would make the 5x5 weaker. Unless they play them far enough apart day wise that players could participate in both.

linkster

PostPosted: 06/13/17 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
linkster wrote:

So adding another event that requires four more players will just dilute the talent field even more for those countries and only help countries that are loaded with talent. The only way that might work for them is if they do not field a regular team and just enter the 3x3 event. And that would make the 5x5 weaker. Unless they play them far enough apart day wise that players could participate in both.

I get it but let's be real. Other than Australia and a few Euro teams the US wins with one hand tied behind their backs. Like some say about UConn, "it's unwatchable". And there are a lot of countries that don't even qualify for the Olympics in basketball who, if they could find a couple of US players with the right ancestry could field a competitive 3X3 team. US gold wouldn't be such a foregone conclusion. In a game with both a time limit and a short shot clock a less talented team has a much better shot at winning than in a 40 minute 5X5 game.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/13/17 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is the United States not sending a women's team to the FIBA 3x3 World Cup in France starting this Saturday?

We're sending a men's team. And in the three previous FIBA 3x3 World Cups, the US has won Gold, Gold and Bronze.

So why aren't we bothering to send a team this year?

linkster

PostPosted: 06/13/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Why is the United States not sending a women's team to the FIBA 3x3 World Cup in France starting this Saturday?

We're sending a men's team. And in the three previous FIBA 3x3 World Cups, the US has won Gold, Gold and Bronze.

If you look at the USA executive board it's loaded with people associated with the WNBA and unless the 3X3 team is coming from the WNBA rosters they aren't interested in it. I doubt they are willing to suspend the WNBA for a week at this point in the season for 4 players and I doubt the teams will want their stars in Europe if the season isn't put on hold.

awhom111

PostPosted: 06/13/17 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

At first, I thought it was a world rankings thing, but the Americas country below us on the rankings qualified a team. Perhaps there's some other formula at work or USA Basketball was having trouble drumming up interest among collegians. The timing of the Olympics announcement certainly makes it look worse though.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/13/17 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

If you look at the USA executive board it's loaded with people associated with the WNBA and unless the 3X3 team is coming from the WNBA rosters they aren't interested in it. I doubt they are willing to suspend the WNBA for a week at this point in the season for 4 players and I doubt the teams will want their stars in Europe if the season isn't put on hold.

College players have stocked the 3x3 World Champion!pionship for the US before. I don't think there has ever been a WNBA player on the team.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/13/17 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

At first, I thought it was a world rankings thing, but the Americas country below us on the rankings qualified a team. Perhaps there's some other formula at work or USA Basketball was having trouble drumming up interest among collegians. The timing of the Olympics announcement certainly makes it look worse though.

I thought they held a tournament to select the US Championship team (The PAC sent several teams to the tournament and I think the UDub team won it.). But now they aren't sending the winning team to the World Cup. I don't understand that. I think they are sending the winning U18 womens team later this month.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: