RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

TBT: AIM = Alana, Iciss, Monique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/18/17 5:22 pm    ::: TBT: AIM = Alana, Iciss, Monique Reply Reply with quote

Former Duke Women's Basketball trio of Alana Beard, Iciss Tillis and Monique Currie had a standout week this week. The three led Duke's "8 is enough" team to the Final Four in San Antonio in 2002 and spawned my screen name "readyAIMfire."

This week:

Alana started off her final year in the WNBA with an electric defensive performance in the LA Sparks' title defending first game of the season. Some of the accolades "defensive beast" "young and energetic," "could have been DPOY in 2016."

Iciss received a Masters in Sports Management & LL.M. Global Sports Law this week from Columbia, after previously receiving her JD degree. Her plan is to represent athletes in securing contracts and protecting themselves throughout their careers and beyond.

Monique set a new career scoring record while playing two games for the San Antonio Stars. The Stars were playing without their entire starting backcourt so Monique had to fill a lot of roles on the court while scoring all those points. This brought focus on Mo's steady game, built on toughness, which has been overshadowed by the first two draftees in her draft year: Seimone Augustus and Cappie Pondexter.

As a longtime rabid fan of Duke Women's Basketball, seeing these three studs of the "Final Four years" of DWB succeeding did my heart good. Also took some of the sting out of the current decline of the program.

Coach G: you have a lot to be proud of with these three former players and fine young women!

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/18/17 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really like Iciss' career choice. I always thought she was a smart young woman and she has proved it. I'm always intrigued by the career choices of athletes who choose to go other places than on the court, whether they stay close to the field of sport, as she has, or not.

One funny story along those lines--when I was a travel nurse in Cincinnati, I bumped into Brynae Laxton, who was on the first of the Tennessee "threepeat" championship teams. She was doing her residency in otolaryngology there at the time. I was dog-sick and asked her as a favor to please look at my ears and throat since I was an old fan of hers. She did and wrote me a prescription. She now works in Oak Ridge, TN, and my son, who has had chronic ear problems his entire life, is a patient of hers (and adores her, I might add).

PostPosted: 05/19/17 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I really like Iciss' career choice. I always thought she was a smart young woman and she has proved it. I'm always intrigued by the career choices of athletes who choose to go other places than on the court, whether they stay close to the field of sport, as she has, or not.

One funny story along those lines--when I was a travel nurse in Cincinnati, I bumped into Brynae Laxton, who was on the first of the Tennessee "threepeat" championship teams. She was doing her residency in otolaryngology there at the time. I was dog-sick and asked her as a favor to please look at my ears and throat since I was an old fan of hers. She did and wrote me a prescription. She now works in Oak Ridge, TN, and my son, who has had chronic ear problems his entire life, is a patient of hers (and adores her, I might add).

Great story summertime! Iciss plotted her career in college. She loved playing in college and jumped into my arms after the victory over UConn (the Jess Foley shot). She knew exactly what she wanted to do as a pro basketballer: to make money for law school. We all liked to make fun of her in college ("Iciss moment" was a favorite - and endearing - cheer) but some belittled her as a pro player, not understanding her target was playing overseas.

I know Alana has set up her post basketball career by buying a Mellow Mushroom franchise with Marissa Coleman. I haven't heard lately if Monique will pursue her previous post basketball goal of becoming an elementary school principal. Wouldn't be at all surprised if she instead goes a different route of impacting kids. She's set herself up to do whatever she chooses by having a solid pro bball career.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/19/17 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be interesting to hear what other former players are doing now also, especially those who have, as that commercial says, "gone pro in something other than sports", or used their pro money to further their careers. Michelle Marciniak is now CEO of Sheex, a company that makes bedding and sleepwear from a special performance fabric. Not something I would have expected!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: