RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Things the NCAA Needs to Address
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/17 9:18 am    ::: Things the NCAA Needs to Address Reply Reply with quote

This is inspired by Oregon having an 8:30 am tip time in their regional game and ND/Purdue having a 9:00 pm time for their game. At least it was equally late for both ND and Purdue. A fairness factor comes into play for Oregon/MD.

What do you want the NCAA to address in regards to the tourney?

I know better officiating will come up so I guess I'd want to know how you'd fix it. Please don't say use men's officials like I've seen on the NDNation board. I find that offensive. Those guys don't do the regular season games, they have done NOTHING to EARN their place. They have not officiated the women's game, they don't know what they are capable of doing and how the games have been called all year. Besides, that would be the equivalent of bringing in men's teams to fill the women's bracket. You don't want that.

Somehow eliminate ridiculous tip times. There has to be a compromise with ESPN and the NCAA. You can't play a game that causes a team to go before 11:00 am in their normal time zone or later than 8:00 pm. I know that will be hard to do given you don't know who will be winning. Only thing I'm coming up with is to keep teams closer to home whenever possible. That gets hard when you don't want teams meeting conference opponents early.

Related to ridiculous tip times, restrict distance traveled. Oregon making multiple trips from coast to coast isn't good, or fair. I know that selcom didn't expect Duke to lose, but things happen and when you're doing this around exam time, there needs to be some consideration taken for that. Wasn't it some MD players that took an exam proctored by Butler during the Big Ten Tourney? Maybe they can make something like that available.

Ticketing issues like what has faced MD at the UConn regional. Something else that the NCAA should have control of.

It's early, what else am I missing? What do you want the NCAA to fix related to the tourney? (The regular season stuff would fill another thread. Wink)

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
b1207

PostPosted: 03/24/17 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All good points. In regards to the tip time, it does make a difference. A number of years ago I took my kid to an NBA game featuring the at the time very good Jazz vs the at the time woeful Wizards. As it was a holiday (MLK day IIRC) it was a 1pm tip in DC meaning 10am for the Jazz. My son was rooting for the Jazz but I told him not to be surprised if they lost as the time difference could be a factor. Sure enough, the Jazz looked like they were sleep walking and lost the game.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/24/17 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone else posted it on this forum, I am not sure where.

Have the entire Sweet 16 in one city, perhaps Las Vegas.

Vegas is easy to get to(Southwest Airlines) and hotels are plentiful and at a reasonable price.
Several arenas in Vegas, Thomas and Mack, Orleans, MGM Grand, new T-Moble Arena.

Fans can make reservations way in advance, if they want to, knowing what city the Sweet 16 will be in.

If your team gets eliminated on Day One it is still a place to have a vacation with generally good weather in late March, you do not have to gamble in Vegas to have a good time. Great food , entertainment, etc.

~UK~

PostPosted: 03/24/17 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was surprised to find out that they don't have open practices at the regionals. The men do, why not the women?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/24/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really, really don't like Vegas as the site. Too sleazy. It is, however, probably as neutral as it gets. But the whole gambling atmosphere bothers me. I would offer Salt Lake City as an alternative, and before you put it down, think a minute. They have world meetings of the LDS Church there, and also hosted a Winter Olympics. There's lots of hotel space, and since the non-Mormons basically run the city itself (the Mormons long since have moved out to Provo and Bountiful) there's great dining and a modestly decent nightlife. I've been there with The Man for geek moots and enjoy the place tremendously. Or how about Denver? Good travel connections and plenty of hotel space.

The ridiculous tip times are definitely a second, along with distances traveled. What that potentially does to Oregon this year remains to be seen, but that is awful. And the ticketing issues as in Bridgeport? Completely and totally unacceptable.

As for the officiating, whatcha gonna do? Except maybe train the ones you have better.

The only other issue I have is better TV coverage. ESPN and their so-called "whip around" is patently ridiculous for a whole lot of folks.

PostPosted: 03/24/17 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the Las Vegas site is popular not only because of the abundance of hotel rooms, but also the abundance of arenas. You could have 4 different facilities going at the same time if that is what the format demanded.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 03/24/17 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Someone else posted it on this forum, I am not sure where.

Have the entire Sweet 16 in one city, perhaps Las Vegas.

Vegas is easy to get to(Southwest Airlines) and hotels are plentiful and at a reasonable price.
Several arenas in Vegas, Thomas and Mack, Orleans, MGM Grand, new T-Moble Arena.

Fans can make reservations way in advance, if they want to, knowing what city the Sweet 16 will be in.

If your team gets eliminated on Day One it is still a place to have a vacation with generally good weather in late March, you do not have to gamble in Vegas to have a good time. Great food , entertainment, etc.

Debbie Antonelli's article "The Sweet 16 to Vegas" sold me on it.

http://team.fastmodelsports.com/2016/08/31/sweet-16-vegas/

pilight

PostPosted: 03/24/17 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems strange to have just the middle weekend of the tournament be in a set location. Why not do like college baseball and have the whole tournament in the same place every year?

PostPosted: 03/24/17 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like that they went to a long weekend, Fri and Sun, have no problem with Vegas, you can avoid the sleaze, where you going at night summertime Wink

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/24/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It seems strange to have just the middle weekend of the tournament be in a set location. Why not do like college baseball and have the whole tournament in the same place every year?

The Final Four is in a set location. So basically, you would have the top 16 seeded teams host the first/second rounds, the Sweet 16 in Vegas and then the Final Four wherever.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/17 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I think the Las Vegas site is popular not only because of the abundance of hotel rooms, but also the abundance of arenas. You could have 4 different facilities going at the same time if that is what the format demanded.

Are you talking S16 or entire tourney?

S16 they could play all day and do it in three days or split it and do it in four days with games every day.

I'd hate to find out that I have to miss games that I want to see because they are playing at the same time in a different arena or back-to-back in different arenas and I don't have time to get there. Seems to kind of defeat the purpose. I'd stay home and watch it all on TV.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 03/24/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

S16 they could play all day and do it in three days or split it and do it in four days with games every day.

I'd hate to find out that I have to miss games that I want to see because they are playing at the same time in a different arena or back-to-back in different arenas and I don't have time to get there. Seems to kind of defeat the purpose. I'd stay home and watch it all on TV.

What about the doubled-up games today?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/24/17 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Kinda what I was thinking...how would it change anything other than you would happen to be in the same city?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/24/17 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

It isn't. Only the final eight teams of the initial 64 go to Omaha. The earlier rounds are played at host schools.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/24/17 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Kinda what I was thinking...how would it change anything other than you would happen to be in the same city?

I thought that the purpose was to change the way things are so that you can increase attendance? If the games are all overlapping you may as well stay in the four regional format and keep the players and fans casual fans closer to home.

Oh, and I don't like the doubled up games, but you know that's kind of driven by ESPN.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/24/17 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does the NCAA allow Tournament games in Nevada? If so, then it would have been hypocritical of them to ban them from New Jersey over allowing sports betting, since it is legal in Nevada.

elsie

PostPosted: 03/25/17 2:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vegas is cheap when nothing is going on...but for the WCC conference championship on Tuesday March 7th even the Orleans was asking for several hundred dollars....I'm sure as the time got closer the price dropped....well I know it did.....other places like the Mandalay and even the ExCaliber were initially asking several hundred dollars....

but I love vegas....

elsie

PostPosted: 03/25/17 2:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

please....no Salt Lake City.....Vegas is no sleazier then any big town....if you look for the crap you'll find it but it actually has lots for families to do....there's a good airport, a Nascar facility, an AFB, lots of shopping, shows, and lots of restaurants....

we were there for the WCC conference tournament....

there was actually a Mass held at the Orleans on Sunday for people that wanted to go...

and we went to a nice little church for a fish fry and had a wonderful talk with some regular Vegas people...both from the East coast originally, lol...

and don't forget Fremont and the Pawn Stars place...

vegas would be terrific....

NFL1

PostPosted: 03/26/17 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I really, really don't like Vegas as the site. Too sleazy. It is, however, probably as neutral as it gets. But the whole gambling atmosphere bothers me. I would offer Salt Lake City as an alternative, and before you put it down, think a minute. They have world meetings of the LDS Church there, and also hosted a Winter Olympics. There's lots of hotel space, and since the non-Mormons basically run the city itself (the Mormons long since have moved out to Provo and Bountiful) there's great dining and a modestly decent nightlife. I've been there with The Man for geek moots and enjoy the place tremendously. Or how about Denver? Good travel connections and plenty of hotel space.

The ridiculous tip times are definitely a second, along with distances traveled. What that potentially does to Oregon this year remains to be seen, but that is awful. And the ticketing issues as in Bridgeport? Completely and totally unacceptable.

As for the officiating, whatcha gonna do? Except maybe train the ones you have better.

The only other issue I have is better TV coverage. ESPN and their so-called "whip around" is patently ridiculous for a whole lot of folks.

I too don't like the idea of Vegas, but I could get behind Phoenix! If they won't let us go there for a FF, let's go for the Sweet 16! Or other big cities where the arena is too small for the FF (let them fight it out to host it)!

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/26/17 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why not Chicago? Centrally located, very easy to fly into and to find direct flights with the large airports. Great entertainment, restaurants, etc.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/26/17 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having done a lot of conference planning, I think it's pretty clear Denver, Vegas, Dallas, Atlanta, and Chicago are all viable central locations in terms of cheap flights and enough accommodations. I don't see why it has to be in one place forever. Move it around between several of these sites. The main thing is that one cental 'ish site helps to level the playing field.

- Amanda Gorman
NFL1

PostPosted: 03/26/17 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Why not Chicago? Centrally located, very easy to fly into and to find direct flights with the large airports. Great entertainment, restaurants, etc.

Chicago...too cold Wink Love Chi-town, but want to go there for a Final Four first (show that they will support women's hoops).

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/26/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about scheduling the same side of the bracket Regionals on the same day? Why should 2 semifinalists have an extra day off before the FF?

PostPosted: 03/26/17 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Branson, Missouri

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
elsie

PostPosted: 03/27/17 2:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

let me think...its March...do I want to be in Las Vegas or Chicago?....hmmmmm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: