RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sold-out Connecticut regional leaves ‘furious’ Maryland
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 03/22/17 6:32 am    ::: Sold-out Connecticut regional leaves ‘furious’ Maryland Reply Reply with quote

D.C. Sports Bog
Sold-out Connecticut regional leaves ‘furious’ Maryland fans boxed out

...with Connecticut’s women’s team in the midst of a historic win streak and certain to be playing regional games in Bridgeport, the arena sold out of inventory on March 9, four days before the brackets were even unveiled.

Maryland fans, of course, were not about to buy tickets at four different regional sites in early March, just in case. The school reserves its 100 tickets for family and friends of players and coaches, leaving fans without an option.

And hosting sites do not maintain extra tickets on consignment, just in case the participating teams might want more. Which all means the group of die-hards that follows the Terps around the country is now staring at either heavy markups on the secondary market or skipping the short trip entirely.

As you might imagine, they aren’t thrilled...

http://linkis.com/washingtonpost.com/UquuN

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/22/17 6:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the past, the NCAA reserved a good number of seats at regionals for the 4 schools, way more than 100, and they were sold via the school athletic departments. I wonder if they changed the system or if this information is wrong.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 03/22/17 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
In the past, the NCAA reserved a good number of seats at regionals for the 4 schools, way more than 100, and they were sold via the school athletic departments. I wonder if they changed the system or if this information is wrong.

Same info from Baltimore Sun: For Terps women fans, scarcity of tickets to Bridgeport regional is 'ridiculous'
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-for-terps-women-fans-scarcity-of-tickets-to-bridgeport-regional-is-ridiculous-20170321-story.html

Phil

PostPosted: 03/22/17 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Same info from Baltimore Sun: For Terps women fans, scarcity of tickets to Bridgeport regional is 'ridiculous'
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-for-terps-women-fans-scarcity-of-tickets-to-bridgeport-regional-is-ridiculous-20170321-story.html

Message to Maryland - schedule real teams and maybe the selection committee won't punish you.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/22/17 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Message to Maryland - schedule real teams and maybe the selection committee won't punish you.

Did you actually read the articles? Or is your reading comprehension poor?

This has nothing to do with the selection committee. This is about NCAA tickets, not the bracket.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/22/17 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Phil wrote:

This has nothing to do with the selection committee. This is about NCAA tickets, not the bracket.

I did read the article.

Are you unaware that Maryland played a crappy out of conference schedule and the selection committee chose to punish them for it? They did so by giving them not just a three seed but the three seed in the Connecticut region.

I can see that we don't know for certain what would've happened if Maryland had played an actual decent schedule instead of the creampuffs. Maybe they would've one all the games and earned a two seed and maybe that to seed would still be in Bridgeport in which case they'd have a complaint. Or maybe if they played some real competition they would have lost a few games and not gotten a two or even a three seed. And maybe they still would've been sent to Bridgeport, but we don't know.

I'm not faulting Brenda for choosing to play a weak schedule given the number of freshmen on the team. But that decision has repercussions, one of which was the three seed rather than the two and the other (not explicitly stated but in my opinion) was the assignment to the Bridgeport region.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 03/22/17 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Phil wrote:

I agree, it has nothing to do with seeding and scheduling and such. Their seeding was mentioned briefly, but didn't have much to do with the gist of the article overall. I think it is about how many tickets for visiting teams should be made available by the NCAA in each region. It sounds like it was expected that more than 100 per team would be made available for each school to sell.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/22/17 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you, BamaEd, you get it. But sorry, Phil, you're still missing the point.

Your long rationalization is full of don't knows and speculations. But its all irrelevant.

The bottom line here is that the NCAA, by not reserving a reasonable number of tickets for the teams that earned their way in, have prevented the fans of those 3 teams (whoever they are or might have been) from being in the arena.

What if Tennessee were in Maryland's place? Do you think the Lady Vols fans would be any less upset? NO, I don't think so. And I would agree with them. Any team which has a significant base of fans who are happy to travel (and spend their money to do so) so they may be there to cheer on their team would, I am certain, find this situation just as mind-boggling as the Maryland fans do now.

b1207

PostPosted: 03/22/17 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure the other two schools are in the same boat as MD (although one would presume their demand for tickets would be far less due to geography). The simple fact is that UCONN gets to play a home schedule all the way to the final four. Not that they need the advantage, but it is an advantage to them none the less. I would prefer to see the eastern regional moved around to other cities - NY, PH, Bstn are all in the NE the last I checked.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/22/17 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are two separate issues. The first is the shortage of available tickets. That arises because the venue was sold out before the selection committee even did their selections.

I trust no one will disagree that the NCAA thinks a sold out arena is a good thing not a problem that needs solving. One might argue that the NCAA should've been smart enough to foresee this, and reserve more than the 100 allotment on the chance that a team with a drivable base might be assigned there. Someone noted that this has been an NCAA practice, so it is unclear why it did not happen if it has been the practice in the past.

The second issue is who gets to bear the brunt of the problem. In this case it is Maryland which is close enough for a long drive, but it is my contention that Maryland is reaping what it sowed.

Perhaps the selection committee should have considered sending one of the other three seeds, Washington Florida State or Texas to the Bridgeport region, assuming that the allotment of 100 tickets would be enough for those teams. However, the selection committee has a tough enough job juggling all the constraints without adding this as well. As anyone who is trying to fill out a bracket following the constraints knows, moving one team to a different location has ripple effects.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/22/17 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc

I don't think I've missed the point. Can you tell me which point you think I've missed?

benighted stated that the NCAA used to reserve more than the 100 seats per school. Is it true that they used to and have stopped? If true, it is a reasonable question to ask why they stopped.

Attendance, and general has been a problem for women's basketball. First-rounds often had horrible attendance, which led to the present approach of letting the top four teams host, which I believe has helped. Regionals still generally have challenges which is why the reason Debbie Antonelli is pushing her Las Vegas option. When's the last time a regional sold out? When is the last time a regional sold out before the selections were announced? My guess is never. It may be easy, after the fact, to predict it, but default the NCAA for not considering a possibility that has never happened in history is asking a lot.

Last edited by Phil on 03/22/17 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Phil

PostPosted: 03/22/17 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

b1207 wrote:
I'm sure the other two schools are in the same boat as MD (although one would presume their demand for tickets would be far less due to geography)

I won't be surprised if neither Oregon nor UCLA uses up the full allotment. Have Maryland fans contacted those schools to see if they can get tickets?

Phil

PostPosted: 03/22/17 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

b1207 wrote:
I would prefer to see the eastern regional moved around to other cities - NY, PH, Bstn are all in the NE the last I checked.

New York is not in New England, although perhaps you were intending to say the New England region. As you know, the regional will be in Albany next year.

Boston was a final four location but has never been a regional. I'm not fully sure why. I thought the Boston final four was successful and fully expect them to bid again but I'm not close enough to the bidding process to know why they have declined to bid.

I'm not sure what you mean by "PH"

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/22/17 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
b1207 wrote:
I'm sure the other two schools are in the same boat as MD (although one would presume their demand for tickets would be far less due to geography)

I won't be surprised if neither Oregon nor UCLA uses up the full allotment. Have Maryland fans contacted those schools to see if they can get tickets?

UCLA fans and donors have already been informed that the UCLAWBB program itself expects to use all 100 allotted tickets just "for team needs", and so are not making them available to Bruin fans for public purchase. So I don't think Terp fans will have much luck with that, at least as regards UCLA's allotment.

Time for stub hub! Full strip is available for the regional starting at $180.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/22/17 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting. May be the same answer for Oregon.

I gave away two tickets last night to a charity auction - maybe I should have saved them for Stubhub. I just checked, and tickets in my section are starting at $275.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/22/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
ripleydc

I don't think I've missed the point. Can you tell me which point you think I've missed?

Obviously you don't, but you have missed the point. Otherwise you wouldn't be spinning these long-winded rationalizations which include the statement that Maryland is "reaping what it sowed."

To repeat, this is not about the selection, but a failure by the NCAA to reserve a reasonable number of tickets for the three schools who earned the right to play in the Regional. That's the only point, get it or don't, but that's it. period.

[Oh, as for "PH"? Phil, can you think of a Northeastern city that begins with the letters P-H-I-L? Do you want to buy a vowel?]

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/22/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There should definitely be some tickets withheld and set aside for visiting teams and if they aren't sold by a set date, then they are released for purchase by anyone. Just another way in the which the NCAA clearly doesn't really care about anything but the almighty dollar.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read with interest the suggested conspiracy involving the NCAA, the refs at the UCONN-MARY in CP last Dec., the Bridgeport Regional ticket allotment, and, of course, UCONN itself.

The begged questions are if, when and why were team ticket allotments changed.

100 can obviously be inadequate. Makes no sense to me, because, at Bridgeport at least, unused returned team tix would certainly sell.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't the real issue that UConn fans KNEW they would be in Bridgeport and were able to order tickets (and sell out venue) well before selection day? Other teams had to wait to find out where they were assigned. So why doesn't NCAA not make tickets available until after first/second rounds? Or at least reserve a certain percentage (half?) for sale after first weekend?

PostPosted: 03/22/17 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've mention multiple times that the NCAA did not reserve enough tickets, so in what way can you possibly argue that I missed that point?

It has been widely reported that the selection committee was intending to send a message to teams that played poor out of conference schedules. That was obviously directed at Maryland which I assume you know. While the main point was the three seed as opposed to the two seed, it is hardly a stretch to think that the assignment to Bridgeport was part of the thinking. That's hardly a long-winded rationalization, unless you have an exceedingly short attention span.

Not every result has exactly one cause. Just because the NCAA ticket purchase decision contributed does not mean that the selection decision did not also play a role.

I don't know where you live but in New England NE means New England not Northeast. Philadelphia is not New England. I honestly thought it was a typo and you meant New Hampshire.

Last edited by Phil on 03/22/17 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ripleydc

PostPosted: 03/22/17 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

buckeyewoman wrote:
Isn't the real issue that UConn fans KNEW they would be in Bridgeport and were able to order tickets (and sell out venue) well before selection day? Other teams had to wait to find out where they were assigned. So why doesn't NCAA not make tickets available until after first/second rounds? Or at least reserve a certain percentage (half?) for sale after first weekend?

No, not really. You have to put the tickets on sale early to draw as big a crowd as possible; Selection Monday would be too late.

The problem wasn't that UConn fans bought all the tickets. The problem was that the NCAA didn't reserve a reasonable number for all the teams who advanced. Half would be too many to reserve IMO, but 100 seats per team is obviously ridiculous and patently unreasonable.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/22/17 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland is the third best team in the country, according to the Massey Ratings.

They are the third best in the Coaches Poll, and 4th best in the AP. If they had actually set up a good out of conference schedule, they might well be the host at a Regional. Maybe they'd be the headliner in Lexington.

I don't see why this point is hard to grasp.

Last edited by Phil on 03/22/17 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW, I was able to figure out NE meant Northeast, not NE. Wink

PostPosted: 03/22/17 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
There should definitely be some tickets withheld and set aside for visiting teams and if they aren't sold by a set date, then they are released for purchase by anyone. Just another way in the which the NCAA clearly doesn't really care about anything but the almighty dollar.

That sounds like a simple and obvious solution but even that approach has some negative consequences which I can attest to from personal experience.

A few years ago, there was a regional in Rhode Island. I signed up for tickets the day they became available and my seat was four rows down from the very last row.

I noticed a friend sitting in the lower bowl, so I inquired to find out how they had acquired such good tickets wondering if perhaps they were a large donor. They explained that they had been in Boston for meeting and were driving home and it wasn't far of the way so they stop by and walked up to the ticket booth and bought tickets. Apparently, some tickets had been reserved and were released late.

Can you give me a rational explanation why I should have a terrible seat when someone walking up to the arena on the spur of the moment gets a good seat?

Phil

PostPosted: 03/22/17 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
FWIW, I was able to figure out NE meant Northeast, not NE. Wink

Good for you, but I've never heard PH as an abbreviation for Philadelphia.

Purple Heart, yes.
PistonHeads, yes
Picohenry, yes
Philippines, yes
Polynesian Airlines, yes
Parker-Hannifin, yes
Philadelphia, no

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: