RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

tv coverage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/12/17 3:41 pm    ::: tv coverage Reply Reply with quote

I know this is probably impractical and not possible - at least in terms of how it works currently, but...

my thought is that game coverage should be determined about 2 weeks before the games, and that only games that seem relevant and competitive be shown.

Bottom dwelling teams need to be told that if they don't improve, they simply ain't gonna be on tv. I'm lookin at you Boston College, Wake Forest, Arizona, Wisconsin, etc... Showing these games just make the women's game look pathetic. I don't mind showing two middle of the pack teams play each other so long as it seems like it will be competitive. And I don't mind occasionally seeing UConn blow somebody out because at least you're showing the best of the best (even though I don't usually watch those either). ESPN showing all these other AAC games is just ridiculous. The fox channels showing all these bottom dweller teams are also ridiculous.

JMO.

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/12/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know if there is a good answer to this problem.

This seems like a rich get richer thing though. Who wouldn't want to go to the schools that they see on TV? The top players are going to be the ones that get the first/most opportunities

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/12/17 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Complaining about coverage is asinine, how about just asking for more coverage.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/12/17 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I object like hell to seeing nothing but the "top teams" and especially I am sick of the UConn worship. I *particularly* do not want to watch UConn trample all over the AAC. I would honestly prefer to watch the middle of the big conferences, some mid-majors, and occasionally even DII now and then, than get nothing but a steady diet of Top 25 or whatever. YUK!

PostPosted: 02/12/17 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I object like hell to seeing nothing but the "top teams" and especially I am sick of the UConn worship. I *particularly* do not want to watch UConn trample all over the AAC. I would honestly prefer to watch the middle of the big conferences, some mid-majors, and occasionally even DII now and then, than get nothing but a steady diet of Top 25 or whatever. YUK!

I'm not asking for top 25 repeatedly, but the top half of major conferences, and the top few teams of the minors. Do you actually watch teams like Wisconsin or Wake Forest? I think putting these teams on regularly simply gives women's basketball a bad name. If you have the random non-fan tune in to watch a bad team get trounced or two bad teams having trouble dribbling the ball up the court, they just laugh and switch the channel.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/12/17 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These games are televised through contracts with the various conferences. and I expect the conferences want to share the exposure and showcase all their member schools at least part of the time. I expect there would be an outcry from member schools if only three or four of the teams got all the TV slots.

I watch quite a few middle-of-the-pack ACC games, but admittedly I would not be likely to tune in for more than a few minutes to someting like a this-year Clemson - BC game.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/12/17 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How are these teams going to improve if you put them at a media disadvantage? Are recruits going to want to commit to these teams? That would make parity even worse, which I'm guessing is something you don't like either.

I started making multiple consistent game threads a thing about 6 years ago because it didn't seem these hardcover fans here were even watching very many games other than their personal teams. Now it seems people are spoiled and want great games all the time.

People should be happy to have options like ESPN3, foxsports2go, btn2go, and whatnot. You can pretty much watch any game you want to.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/13/17 6:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Become a Uconn fan then. It's much more enjoyable than being a Lady Vols fan. I agree though that the Huskies should be in a better conference. Maybe to the SEC, then you can watch them trample all over the SEC and never lose a game.

When you are the best team and program there ever was in WCBB with the best head coach there ever was in WCBB and are almost always the #1 ranked team in the country and are in the midst of winning 100 straight games, of course there is going to be a lot of Uconn worship and coverage. It would happen to any team if they were in that situation.

There were lots of games televised yesterday. I'm sure you watched Tennessee lose to an unranked team once again. You must be sick of that as well.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 02/13/17 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
How are these teams going to improve if you put them at a media disadvantage? Are recruits going to want to commit to these teams? That would make parity even worse, which I'm guessing is something you don't like either.

I started making multiple consistent game threads a thing about 6 years ago because it didn't seem these hardcover fans here were even watching very many games other than their personal teams. Now it seems people are spoiled and want great games all the time.

People should be happy to have options like ESPN3, foxsports2go, btn2go, and whatnot. You can pretty much watch any game you want to.

THIS

What your talking about is what I call the Gavitt Rule...named after Dave Gavitt when he created the Original Big East....the first conference built Of...by...and for TV namely the fledgling cable system (Both USA Network and a little channel we know as ESPN) The rule was simple...want the big matchups..air the small matchups in other weeks....this drove recruiting...made ALL teams in the conference attractive and next thing you know Nova wins a national title...few years later UConn (who was a laughing stock in both Men and Women) start building their empire, Providence starts making noise again under Pitino...even Seton Hall makes a run to the title game by the end of the 80s.

IT WORKS....I would do NOTHING to change it in fact I'd make it more enforced. I've said it before....Dan Saughenssey had a point...the point was just wrongly directed toward UConn. But the coverage of UConn the fact that teams have to play UConn just to get on TV (Along with the CUSA portion of the AAC making minimal effort to chase the other 2 transplants Temple and USF let alone UConn (!)) IS making things too much a broken record...

my issue is...It's one thing if you got a dog and its blown out...but 6 point game...South Carolina Mississippi st...YOUR TALKING ABOUT UCONN...NO...this is #4 and #5 in the damn country...give them what they deserve...can go on forever...but we need more coverage diversity not less...

Shaughenssey had a point...It just was NOT a point that had any concern to Geno, UConn, or their players....However the structure they live in...that needs to be around for coaches who are making the effort...(AND THEY ARE...below UConn WBB has NEVER EVER been more competitive) It's actually very exciting if you skip past the UConn AAC games and even then I blame conference realignment for providing...Inferior at best...competition to UConn than I would say UConn is too good.

Exposure which helps recruiting...places like BTN...SECN....P12Ns...greater RSN coverage even something as low as CBSSN have helped...but I would like to see MORE diversity in coverage (And to be fair...ESPN has been doing a little better this year also tonight doesn't count...top 5 team 1 and going for 100 is a big deal...period...never taking that away (Tho I think 70 and 90 were tougher to accomplish because of tougher CONFERENCE schedules)

The Gavitt Rule is a key component of improving parity and recruiting...should try to expand that as much as possible even if ratings aren't there yet to implement it fully.

PostPosted: 02/13/17 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I'm not asking for top 25 repeatedly, but the top half of major conferences, and the top few teams of the minors. Do you actually watch teams like Wisconsin or Wake Forest? I think putting these teams on regularly simply gives women's basketball a bad name. If you have the random non-fan tune in to watch a bad team get trounced or two bad teams having trouble dribbling the ball up the court, they just laugh and switch the channel.

Yes, I actually DO watch Wisconsin, painful as it is, because it's my alma mater. I keep looking for signs of improvement. I also watch everybody in the SEC, and when I can get it, in the CAA. I watch most of the ACC and even (again, when I can get it) the Big 12. I watch the B1G when I remember to, although that's not often. I also watch a good bit of the MVC because I'm kind of a Missouri State fan.

Does that answer your question?

PostPosted: 02/13/17 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Become a Uconn fan then. It's much more enjoyable than being a Lady Vols fan. I agree though that the Huskies should be in a better conference. Maybe to the SEC, then you can watch them trample all over the SEC and never lose a game.

When you are the best team and program there ever was in WCBB with the best head coach there ever was in WCBB and are almost always the #1 ranked team in the country and are in the midst of winning 100 straight games, of course there is going to be a lot of Uconn worship and coverage. It would happen to any team if they were in that situation.

There were lots of games televised yesterday. I'm sure you watched Tennessee lose to an unranked team once again. You must be sick of that as well.

When cows develop wings, you arrogant fool. And actually, no, I did not watch Tennessee. I was at the Convo Center, cheering on JMU. Now go back to whatever it was you were doing like a good little boy.

PostPosted: 02/13/17 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

When cows develop wings, you arrogant fool. And actually, no, I did not watch Tennessee. I was at the Convo Center, cheering on JMU. Now go back to whatever it was you were doing like a good little boy.

You are just TOO funny. So easily rattled because of your jealous hatred of Uconn. Razz

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/13/17 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

You are just TOO funny. So easily rattled because of your jealous hatred of Uconn. Razz

Jealous hatred? Very Happy. Not even. Some of you really love to put on airs. I really have nothing against UConn, though I'll never be a fan. My disgust is reserved for the type of fan you exemplify who totally makes UConn and UConn fans look bad.

PostPosted: 02/13/17 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love how some expect TV to put on games where 5000 will be watching and they can't sell ad time. Why don't people put those games on TV? The same reason those games draw 500 fans to the arena. You all forget that wcbb has become a business and you need to provide some entertainment value. Many of those mid-pack P5 teams play unwatchable basketball in at least half of their games. And it goes beyond their needing more talent. The execution of many of those teams is pathetic. There's no excuse for unforced errors. Games that have 40+ turnovers and 50+ ft's are not going to draw an audience. Last year I watched the DII & DIII FF's and those games were extremely entertaining despite the fact that none of those teams had any McDAA's. But they executed. They passed the ball well, they ran sophisticated offenses, they played excellent defense and they didn't bounce the ball off their own feet while dribbling or miss layups.

Would you pay to see a play where the actors forgot their lines and stumbled around the stage? Maybe only if you had a relative in the cast.

TV doesn't do this for the good of the game. They pay teams and conferences who will attract fans beyond the 1500 or less who go to most games. They want to sell ad time and mediocrity just doesn't sell.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/13/17 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would add to those who think it helps recruiting...as a recruit, if you saw a shitty team being beaten by 50 on tv, would that make that team somehow more attractive? It certainly wouldn't for me...if I had a choice of course. Some of these games I suspect have about 50 viewers and most of them are relatives. JMO of course.

And no, all games are not available online. I find there are often 'good' or interesting games that I can't watch....meanwhile ESPN is showing Tulsa v. Houston.

Yes, I understand that it has to do with whatever contracts are arranged, but just saying that I think it would be better for our sport for that thinking to be changed. But I respect y'all who think differently and prefer to watch those games with 40 other fans Razz Conferences like the B1G who make it subscription only are just shooting themselves in the foot IMO.

And I would add that I actually do watch some games from the minor conferences that stream them online...but again I pick the games that seem interesting for some reason or other.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/14/17 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

TV doesn't do this for the good of the game. They pay teams and conferences who will attract fans beyond the 1500 or less who go to most games. They want to sell ad time and mediocrity just doesn't sell.

It's part of the deal they make with the conferences. The price they pay takes into account that they have to show Rutgers-Northwestern football games in addition to Ohio St - Michigan.

It's all factored in.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/14/17 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I would add to those who think it helps recruiting...as a recruit, if you saw a shitty team being beaten by 50 on tv, would that make that team somehow more attractive?

Isn't that the theory of those who claim good recruits are going to flock to other AAC schools for the opportunity to get their brains beat in by UConn?

BTW, I completely agree on the Big Ten essentially charging twice for their streaming service by charging people who are already paying for the BTN in their cable bill. They should encourage more, not fewer, viewers for their schools' teams.

I thought it was smart for Notre Dame the past few years to stream non-televised home games for free on WatchND instead of charging for the streams. For the pittance you actually earn, better to generate the publicity and goodwill for your teams. ( That's largely gone away now with the ACCN+ streaming on WatchESPN.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: