RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Landers and Fortner ripped Jordan Reynolds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/02/17 11:40 pm    ::: Landers and Fortner ripped Jordan Reynolds Reply Reply with quote

Reynolds in the post game press conference basically said they didn't take Alabama seriously.

Andy Landers went off on her comments, Fortner said "I think we just heard why they've been up and down" and said they weren't properly mentally prepared.

I don't ever recall analysts blasting a college player for their press conference comments like that.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/03/17 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they were blasting Holly. And for good reason. The hallmark of Pat Summit's program was discipline, and she ain't teaching that, apparently.

zune69

PostPosted: 03/03/17 6:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holly's entire image and demeanor softened up when she took over the head coaching position.As a assistant under Pat Summit,she was a bulldog.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/17 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I think they were blasting Holly. And for good reason. The hallmark of Pat Summit's program was discipline, and she ain't teaching that, apparently.

I think Landers was blasting Reynolds and the players for their attitude.

Then Fortner stepped in and started talking about them not having been properly prepared, which was directed at Holly.

They were unusually blunt, especially for the SEC Network.

Landers seem flabbergasted that any player could think like that, and seemed to take it as a personal affront to the SEC Tournament.

Both of them also made the point that you play as you practice.

While Reynolds gets most of the flack, Russell basically said the same thing in her comments.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 03/03/17 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nell & Andy have never been the types to hold back. I missed the press conference, what did the players say?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
Nell & Andy have never been the types to hold back. I missed the press conference, what did the players say?

Bottom line - coming off a big win, we didn't take take Alabama seriously and didn't play hard.

Go to about the 1:30 mark

<iframe width="592" height="333" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VKDr_PbnxFs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 03/03/17 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a senior
Saying that.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And then Holly later when asked about Reynolds comments acted surprised and said something along the lines of "I don't know if she's speaking for the whole team but we'll have to fix that."

When I heard that I was thinking so you've never noticed that before? Your team has been one of the most erratic in history, and you never tried to "fix it" before now? Did you really think they were giving 100% effort every game until now? What exactly are you doing to motivate your team? That is part of coaching, you realize.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/03/17 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you really think that Holly has been focusing her comments this week on KY and SoCar, and telling the team not to worry about Alabama and that it was OK not to play their best today? She clearly said she addressed this. The problem isn't that she doesn't coach them, it's that they don't listen. They decide who they want to listen to and when they want to make the effort. There are too many players on this team with attitude problems, too many cliques, and too many uncoachable brats. And unfortunately, the short bench means she can't use that prime motivator of taking away playing time.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/03/17 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Do you really think that Holly has been focusing her comments this week on KY and SoCar, and telling the team not to worry about Alabama and that it was OK not to play their best today? She clearly said she addressed this. The problem isn't that she doesn't coach them, it's that they don't listen. They decide who they want to listen to and when they want to make the effort. There are too many players on this team with attitude problems, too many cliques, and too many uncoachable brats. And unfortunately, the short bench means she can't use that prime motivator of taking away playing time.

I really don't know if these things you mention exist on this team, but it is clear there is some kind of dis-connect somewhere. Hard to really know if it's coaching or the players themselves. All we see is a team that looks like it has bi-polar disease. I'm thinking that part of the problem is they somehow don't have a leader that they all can rally around and who can in fact 'lead' them. Maybe that's because of cliques, maybe it's because there isn't someone with those leadership qualities. Frankly I've always thought the importance of 'leadership' in terms of a basketball team was over-rated, at least in terms of someone who jumps in your face and tries to pump you up, etc... I'm more a fan of quiet leadership and everyone taking responsibility for themselves. But with this team, it just looks like they need one of those 'in your face' type leaders...and it's not there. They're clearly miserable about losing, but don't seem to know what to do to fix it.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/03/17 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe JORDAN is the problem, and not DD...ever think of that? Maybe she was talking about herself and projecting it at others. You can't get inside everyone's head. People talk about DD all the time because she's more extroverted and more in your face, but maybe she's not the problem. Maybe it's someone else. Just throwing that out there for consideration.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Warlick can handle the expectations and pressure at Tennessee.
They need to bring in a cool customer of a coach.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/03/17 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I don't think Warlick can handle the expectations and pressure at Tennessee.
They need to bring in a cool customer of a coach.

Regardless of whether she can or can't, Tenn fans are so convinced of the latter that the agitation for the new AD to replace her is going to be overwhelming unless she wins a natl title next month, which she won't.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/03/17 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So ...

1) Warlick has recruited players who do not fit together as teammates, and thus do not have the requisite chemistry to maximize their obvious talent; or

2) Warlick has been unable to provide the leadership necessary to get this group of young women to play hard consistently and develop the chemistry required to succeed at a high level.

You can blame the players, of course, but someone (or some group) chose these players -- and Tennessee can pick and choose, to a greater extent than most programs -- and someone (or some group) then took those selected players and did not help them create the kind of atmosphere that created consistent effort.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how long the TENN AD will allow this train wreck to continue.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does a team not take another team seriously after that team beat you twice in the previous 2 games against you? Now this makes three straight wins over the Lady Vols - when they next meet in a game, will Tennessee again not take Alabama seriously??

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/03/17 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
How does a team not take another team seriously after that team beat you twice in the previous 2 games against you? Now this makes three straight wins over the Lady Vols - when they next meet in a game, will Tennessee again not take Alabama seriously??

You're assuming that one player is speaking for the whole team. I don't think so.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So ...

1) Warlick has recruited players who do not fit together as teammates, and thus do not have the requisite chemistry to maximize their obvious talent; or

2) Warlick has been unable to provide the leadership necessary to get this group of young women to play hard consistently and develop the chemistry required to succeed at a high level.

You can blame the players, of course, but someone (or some group) chose these players -- and Tennessee can pick and choose, to a greater extent than most programs -- and someone (or some group) then took those selected players and did not help them create the kind of atmosphere that created consistent effort.

Kyra Elzy was the former associate and was in charge of recruiting. She was basically fired at the end of last season, although they put it in nicer terms. Sharonna Reaves is now the assistant in charge of recruiting and is responsible for next year's class. Why don't you sit down and be quiet until you see how that plays?

PostPosted: 03/03/17 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

You're assuming that one player is speaking for the whole team. I don't think so.

Russell said the same thing. She was just more literate in her response, but she clearly said they overlooked Alabama.

- Amanda Gorman
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/03/17 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

I haven't done any in-depth analysis of post-game pressers for UT......I'm just going by the other posts in this thread that have Reynolds and Russell saying things like "they" and "we" when they talk about it. The entire UT team never get to answer media questions after games, so yes I am assuming that the players that did, were sort of speaking to the team-wide mentality....

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/03/17 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
So ...

Kyra Elzy was the former associate and was in charge of recruiting. She was basically fired at the end of last season, although they put it in nicer terms. Sharonna Reaves is now the assistant in charge of recruiting and is responsible for next year's class. Why don't you sit down and be quiet until you see how that plays?

Next season UT could possibly return 4 of their 5 starters - providing that DeShields and Russell return for their senior years - and the lone departing senior (Reynolds) would most likely be replaced by highly regarded PG Te'a Cooper who has missed this season with an injury. Plus they add to that group of experienced players the overall #1 recruiting class.

Tennessee could arguably have a more talented roster (on paper) than UConn next season. But with the questions of team chemistry this season and getting individual stars to play together as a team, will that situation be improved on or worsened when next season starts? The next 1-2 seasons could ultimately define Warlick's head coaching career....

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/03/17 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
So ...

Next season UT could possibly return 4 of their 5 starters - providing that DeShields and Russell return for their senior years - and the lone departing senior (Reynolds) would most likely be replaced by highly regarded PG Te'a Cooper who has missed this season with an injury. Plus they add to that group of experienced players the overall #1 recruiting class.

Tennessee could arguably have a more talented roster (on paper) than UConn next season. But with the questions of team chemistry this season and getting individual stars to play together as a team, will that situation be improved on or worsened when next season starts? The next 1-2 seasons could ultimately define Warlick's head coaching career....

They also lose Nunn, who, while not a starter, has been a serious force on this team when it comes to rebounding and getting points in the paint. I don't think next year's starters, with the exception of DeShields and Russell, will be at all the same group. This particular team was cobbled together out of necessity because of injuries and it never jelled. In retrospect, the loss of Andraya Carter was probably the biggest of all because of the three players who disappeared from the roster, she was the glue that held everyone together and of the group that was left there was nobody else who had the necessary qualities to do that. She was the heart and soul of the team, the way Izzy Harrison had been a couple of years ago, and even if she'd been able to be on the sidelines things might have been different. Without her, everything fell apart because there wasn't anyone else to pick up where she left off. Hopefully next year there will be someone. Neither DD nor Mercedes seems to have that quality. Jordan certainly didn't. It remains to be seen who, if anyone, does or will. Some serious soul-searching needs to be done over the summer. Oh, and before you say that's Holly's job, it's not. This is something that comes from within the team and from someone who takes that responsibility on herself.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While discussing Tenn's team next year, don't forget JUCO AA Cheridene Green who is rehabbing from a knee injury this season. Lots and lots of talent on paper, but chemistry, for lack of a better word, remains to be seen.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/03/17 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
While discussing Tenn's team next year, don't forget JUCO AA Cheridene Green who is rehabbing from a knee injury this season. Lots and lots of talent on paper, but chemistry, for lack of a better word, remains to be seen.

She was one of the "three players who disappeared from the roster" that I was referring to--Carter, Cooper, and Green. I submit that Tennessee would have been a *very* different team with the three of them on board.

PostPosted: 03/03/17 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a buck-stops-here business ... who hired the recruiting person who put together this roster?

And if you're right that it was bad luck not lack of talent that sank the LV ship this year, then why fire Elzy? From what you laid out, it wasn't her fault. And if you're firing people for things that weren't their fault, that's not exactly sterling leadership either.

I don't think it's possible to deflect the criticism from Holly Warlick, good person though she may be. Of course, if all the pieces fall into place next year -- and your analysis leads me to think they have a very good chance of doing so -- then all will be forgiven.

But at some point, a leader has to rally the troops and guide them through the tough times while maintaining morale and focus. So far, I haven't gotten the impression that Warlick has managed to do that ...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: