RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Should gender self-identity be "sex" for Title IX?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should gender self-identity be "sex" for Title IX
Yes
34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
No
65%
 65%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 23

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/08/17 4:49 pm    ::: Should gender self-identity be "sex" for Title IX? Reply Reply with quote

I'll flesh out this question by using a hypothetical example.

Title IX prohibits schools from discriminating or excluding or denying participation in activities "on the basis of sex".

Mono University only has two sports, men's and women's basketball. The men's team are all biological males who self-identify as males. The women's team are all biological males in chromosomes and anatomy -- like Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner -- but they all self-identify as females.

Is Mono University in compliance with Title IX or should it be?
linkster

PostPosted: 02/08/17 5:51 pm    ::: Re: Should gender self-identity be "sex" for Title Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Title IX prohibits schools from discriminating or excluding or denying participation in activities "on the basis of sex".

Mono University only has two sports, men's and women's basketball. The men's team are all biological males who self-identify as males. The women's team are all biological males in chromosomes and anatomy -- like Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner -- but they all self-identify as females.

I'd say it depends on the politics of the presiding judge.

And isn't this a legal issue and better suited for the "legal eagle" forum?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/08/17 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it depends on whether the person is taking steps (which need not be surgical) to maintain the gender with which they identify.

PostPosted: 02/09/17 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is no simple solution. fact: Males have a physical advantage in sports over women. They can jump higher, run faster, lift more weight, etc...Think of the implications in a sport such as track and field. What if someone like Michael Jordan or LeBron said they identify as female. Would you let them play on a woman's team? Therefore I think if they are stuck in a male body but identify as female, they would still need to compete against other males. Same thing for females who identify as male. Once they start doing operations/hormone replacement therapy etc... the lines become even less clear.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 02/09/17 1:16 am    ::: Re: Should gender self-identity be "sex" for Title Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I say: Let these 2 teams play each other in a best-of-7 game series. It could be billed, not as a Battle of The Sexes, but as a Battle of The Genders. Winner gets the best locker room. Razz

PostPosted: 02/09/17 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We are stretching Title IX far beyond the intent of the the statute in many ways. Title IX should be applied as it was meant to be, which was to provide equitable opportunities for the under represented gender, usually female athletes, to participate in sports.

The use of Title IX to police criminal behavior on campuses and the use of the statute by plaintiff's attorneys to bring civil lawsuits due to the criminal acts of individual students, many of which have never been charged with actual crimes, could be the downfall of the statute as a whole if nothing is done to curtail the abuse.

As for this question specifically, I don't believe that we can use Title IX to police issues of sexual identity. To be blunt, regardless of what sex someone identifies themselves as, with few exceptions, everyone is biologically either male or female at birth. There has to be a constant if we are to apply anything across the board. Basically, if someone is male based on their anatomy, they should not be playing on the women's team. Title IX was not designed to give every single individual the opportunity to play collegiate sports. It was designed to provide equal opportunities by way of scholarships.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/09/17 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
We are stretching Title IX far beyond the intent of the the statute in many ways. Title IX should be applied as it was meant to be, which was to provide equitable opportunities for the under represented gender, usually female athletes, to participate in sports.

The use of Title IX to police criminal behavior on campuses and the use of the statute by plaintiff's attorneys to bring civil lawsuits due to the criminal acts of individual students, many of which have never been charged with actual crimes, could be the downfall of the statute as a whole if nothing is done to curtail the abuse.

As for this question specifically, I don't believe that we can use Title IX to police issues of sexual identity. To be blunt, regardless of what sex someone identifies themselves as, with few exceptions, everyone is biologically either male or female at birth. There has to be a constant if we are to apply anything across the board. Basically, if someone is male based on their anatomy, they should not be playing on the women's team. Title IX was not designed to give every single individual the opportunity to play collegiate sports. It was designed to provide equal opportunities by way of scholarships.

Uh...

Quote:
No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.

PostPosted: 02/09/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

Uh...

Quote:
No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.

Uh yes......And to add to what I said above, having male and female sports is not a form of discrimination. There is no exclusion of participation. Therefore, someone may identify as either sex, but the fact that they are biologically one sex or the other is the objective determination as to which team they compete with. Its really not that hard to grasp.

As for the other current applications of Title IX, those involving crimes between two adults that are in no way connected to University policies, they are so outside the universe of this statute that I cannot see the practice continuing much longer.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/10/17 1:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Uh yes......And to add to what I said above, having male and female sports is not a form of discrimination. There is no exclusion of participation. Therefore, someone may identify as either sex, but the fact that they are biologically one sex or the other is the objective determination as to which team they compete with. Its really not that hard to grasp.

Then....you may wanna improve your *grasp* on that idea, cuz it AINT' that simple. There are MANY people born intersex, with genitalia that do NOT clearly identify them as m or f. And what their ambiguous natural assets maybe doesn't always line up with what their mental/emotional gender is. IF you never knew of Caster Semanyu, look her up. Honestly, such cases are rare, but not impossible to find.

Another whole class of young kids are coming along that aren't technically intersex, but they do not identify with their (completely formed, otherwise normal) genitalia. There are, for example, young boys who've told their parents that they are girls, and parents (after medical consult) have allowed gender-changing therapies, especially hormonal. Does this child grow into male sport teams or female?

PostPosted: 02/10/17 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it will completely destroy the WHOLE of womens sports if it is allowed to have biologically dna backed males play womens sports...

in an effort to be "inclusive" the entire female population will be penalized because some males deem themselves to be women and will take over every single womans sport.....

you can not change your dna.....period....

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/10/17 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

Then....you may wanna improve your *grasp* on that idea, cuz it AINT' that simple. There are MANY people born intersex, with genitalia that do NOT clearly identify them as m or f. And what their ambiguous natural assets maybe doesn't always line up with what their mental/emotional gender is. IF you never knew of Caster Semanyu, look her up. Honestly, such cases are rare, but not impossible to find.

Another whole class of young kids are coming along that aren't technically intersex, but they do not identify with their (completely formed, otherwise normal) genitalia. There are, for example, young boys who've told their parents that they are girls, and parents (after medical consult) have allowed gender-changing therapies, especially hormonal. Does this child grow into male sport teams or female?

The fact that someone doesn't identify with their genitalia does not make the existence of that genitalia irrelevant. I am as understanding as it gets, but there has to be an objective, not subjective, determination made.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/10/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
it will completely destroy the WHOLE of womens sports if it is allowed to have biologically dna backed males play womens sports...

in an effort to be "inclusive" the entire female population will be penalized because some males deem themselves to be women and will take over every single womans sport.....

you can not change your dna.....period....

Panic not, dear elsie: the original post is purely hypothetical and nowhere is this going to happen.

PlayBally'all wrote:
Howee wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

The fact that someone doesn't identify with their genitalia does not make the existence of that genitalia irrelevant. I am as understanding as it gets, but there has to be an objective, not subjective, determination made.

You may be 'understanding', but you're not 'comprehending' that it IS NOT always as simple as XX and XY chromosomes anymore. Is Caster Semenya male or female. Just because you (or anyone else) cannot wrap your head around this concept doesn't make it any less real.

PostPosted: 02/10/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let me back Howee up here. Intersex births are not as uncommon or infrequent as all that. They occur as frequently as approximately one in 1700 births. Think about that for a minute....then think about the number of babies born just in this country alone every day!

For some context, I worked for awhile in a neonatal unit in a hospital where we had, at that time, around 900-1000 births per year. During the year I worked there, we had one newborn who was definitely intersex and one other who was most likely (the second one I didn't hear about definitely because it happened just before I left there). We had 943 births that year, 938 of them live births.

So Caster Semenya is not that rare. She is only "rare" because she happened to participate in sport and be that good. There is also Indian sprinter Dutee Chand, who wasn't that good, and there are thousands, perhaps millions of others all over the globe, some who participate in sport and many who don't. Lady Colin Campbell (you can look her up) is another example. She didn't play sports much, but she did advocate for intersex people. It is a very complex subject and one where people cannot be easily categorized.

PostPosted: 02/10/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The hypothetical case in the OP was intended to focus the debate in two ways.

1. The players on the women's team are not biologically "intersex" in terms of chromosomes, anatomy or hormones. They are all fully male in all these characteristics (as I understand Jenner to be). They claim to be eligible to play on the women's team under Title IX solely because the self-identify psychologically as females.

2. The reason Mono U. is posited to have only two teams is because if the men's team are indeed all of the male "sex", then the other team must be all of the female "sex" in order to have equitable sports participation balance at Mono .

So, again, the topic question whether a purely psychological self-identification as female should qualify a player as being of the female "sex" for purposes of implementing that language in Title IX?

You are the school Title IX compliance officers, the NCAA Title IX administrators, and the federal Title IX judges who will make this determination -- and have all power to decide on this matter.

Carry on.
Howee

PostPosted: 02/10/17 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dunno. Maybe this kind of hypothetical makes for fun law school debates. But it is simply spurious. Aint. Never. Gonna. Happen. And it really does try to make the larger concern here (gender identity) an All/Nothing, On/Off, toggle-switch kind of argument, when it cannot be that simple.

Title IX was instituted for all the right reasons, imo, and has served a grand purpose. That its premise may be stretched in the future by increased understanding of gender identity is probably a good and necessary thing.

PostPosted: 02/10/17 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The hypothetical case in the OP was intended to focus the debate in two ways.

1. The players on the women's team are not biologically "intersex" in terms of chromosomes, anatomy or hormones. They are all fully male in all these characteristics (as I understand Jenner to be). They claim to be eligible to play on the women's team under Title IX solely because the self-identify psychologically as females.

2. The reason Mono U. is posited to have only two teams is because if the men's team are indeed all of the male "sex", then the other team must be all of the female "sex" in order to have equitable sports participation balance at Mono .

So, again, the topic question whether a purely psychological self-identification as female should qualify a player as being of the female "sex" for purposes of implementing that language in Title IX?

You are the school Title IX compliance officers, the NCAA Title IX administrators, and the federal Title IX judges who will make this determination -- and have all power to decide on this matter.

Carry on.

Honestly, I would not interpret this to be a Title IX issue. Title IX doesn't address sexual identity in any way other than the classification of the male and female genders. An individual's psychological self-indentification was never contemplated when the statute was adopted as law. I don't believe that an individual would have standing to sustain a complaint against an institution for the violation of the statute due to the institution's refusal to allow a student athlete that is a male as evidenced by their birth certificate from participating on a female sports team.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/11/17 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:

Yes and no. We are certainly stretching Title IX far beyond its intent, but that's not new. Title IX originated to redress hiring and employment gender-based inequalities in educational institutions receiving federal funding. It was written to secondarily apply to students in educational programs, and subsequently interpreted to include athletic programs. Its purpose was never just to allow women and girls to play sports. Athletics and sports were never even mentioned in its text.

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..."
https://www.dol.gov/oasam/regs/statutes/titleix.htm

It's going to require either a revision of the law and/or a Supreme Court decision to determine how it's applied to the Mono U students. I suspect the Court would decide that they should play for the men's team because allowing them on the women's team based solely on self-identification would deprive biological females of playing opportunities, which goes against the intent of equal opportunities under Title IX.

Just my 2 cents.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/13/17 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Maybe this kind of hypothetical makes for fun law school debates. But it is simply spurious. Aint. Never. Gonna. Happen.

PlayBally'all wrote:

I would not interpret this to be a Title IX issue.

Au contraire.

While the application of Title IX to psychological transgender self-identification is currently hypothetical as to sports participation in schools, it is the logical and legal extension of the way Title IX is already being applied to other forms of participation by psychological transgender individuals in schools -- e.g., bathrooms, so says the federal Departments of Education and Justice:

Quote:
When a school provides sex-segregated activities and facilities, transgender students must be allowed to participate in such activities and access such facilities consistent with their gender identity.

For some early analysis of the DOE/DOJ letter by a Harvard law professor, see The Transgender Bathroom Debate and the Looming Title IX Crisis.

The people answering "yes" in the poll are being logically consistent with this DOE/DOJ position.

Upon reflection, this topic probably should be moved to Area 51.
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/13/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
Maybe this kind of hypothetical makes for fun law school debates. But it is simply spurious. Aint. Never. Gonna. Happen.

PlayBally'all wrote:

I would not interpret this to be a Title IX issue.

Au contraire.

While the application of Title IX to psychological transgender self-identification is currently hypothetical as to sports participation in schools, it is the logical and legal extension of the way Title IX is already being applied to other forms of participation by psychological transgender individuals in schools -- e.g., bathrooms, so says the federal Departments of Education and Justice:

Quote:
When a school provides sex-segregated activities and facilities, transgender students must be allowed to participate in such activities and access such facilities consistent with their gender identity.

For some early analysis of the DOE/DOJ letter by a Harvard law professor, see The Transgender Bathroom Debate and the Looming Title IX Crisis.

The people answering "yes" in the poll are being logically consistent with this DOE/DOJ position.

Upon reflection, this topic probably should be moved to Area 51.

I'm no fan of this Administration. That being said, I'm certain that is no longer the position of the DOJ or DOE under their new leadership.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/13/17 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You could be right about the new administration, though Trump personally doesn't seem to care about the transgender bathroom issue. Maybe he would about the football or golf teams.
norwester

PostPosted: 02/13/17 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn't this post ignore that there are transgender athletes who are taking hormones and living as their gender of identity participating in the sports of their identity within the NCAA today?

There are real physical differences between men and women, but a lot of those differences (particularly as they pertain to sports competition) are chemical in nature. Reading articles from the points of view of transgender individuals, MTF are surprised by how much less strength they have in the absence of prior levels of testosterone.

Men "becoming" women for the purposes of sport is not the essence of being a transgendered individual. There are so many psychological, etc. effects that go along with it, that there isn't even a legal thought exercise here.

But if you did have a university where the women's basketball team happened to be made up of all MTF transgendered individuals who had been living as women and taking hormones for (I'm not sure what the NCAA guideline is, but maybe a year?) the requisite amount of time before competing for those slots, that the school would be in compliance.

Last edited by norwester on 02/13/17 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
norwester

PostPosted: 02/13/17 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Inclusion of Transgender Student-Athletes
Quote:
It is also important to know that any strength and endurance advantages a transgender woman arguably may have as a result of her prior testosterone levels dissipate after about one year of estrogen or testosterone-suppression therapy. According to medical experts on this issue, the assumption that a transgender woman competing on a women’s team would have a competitive advantage outside the range of performance
and competitive advantage or disadvantage that already exists among female athletes is not supported by evidence.

PostPosted: 02/13/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe the essence of the question was males who solely self-identify as females and not those who have already embarked on any medical treatment to develop any female physical characteristics.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/14/17 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I believe the essence of the question was males who solely self-identify as females and not those who have already embarked on any medical treatment to develop any female physical characteristics.

That's correct. I limited the topic to purely psychological self-identification because that is the most extreme case of having a different "sex" than all the biological markers, and because the DOE/DOJ letter defines gender identity that way:

"Gender identity refers to an individual’s internal sense of gender" and "transgender students must be allowed to participate in such activities and access such facilities consistent with their gender identity."
norwester

PostPosted: 02/14/17 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

That's correct. I limited the topic to purely psychological self-identification because that is the most extreme case of having a different "sex" than all the biological markers, and because the DOE/DOJ letter defines gender identity that way:

"Gender identity refers to an individual’s internal sense of gender" and "transgender students must be allowed to participate in such activities and access such facilities consistent with their gender identity."

I guess I see?

But actually I don't, because the twisting of the meanings of words is beyond what a reasonable person would either ponder or conclude, and in deliberately misrepresenting what it actually means to "self-identify" as a gender, it treads uncomfortably (actually, probably stomps unconscionably) into the realm of transphobia.

The NCAA has guidelines for participation of transgender student athletes. There are students who self-identify as a different gender, but have decided to forgo hormone therapy in order to finish out their careers under the status quo (a point guard most famously, recently, IIRC). MTF who are currently living as men and haven't undergone any steps to live as women are already barred from competing as women.

I'm just trying to define the parameters of the discussion, but I guess I've missed the point, which was purely a thought experiment based on a purposely misreading one statement and taking it out of context. The law isn't a vacuum.

So, since guidelines already define participation in NCAA schools, are we considering schools that aren't NCAA, but accept public money (i.e. fall under Title IX)?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: