RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Unfortunately, this just doesn't happen in WCBB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/05/17 11:09 am    ::: Unfortunately, this just doesn't happen in WCBB Reply Reply with quote

Yesterday in the men's games, numbers 2 ,3, 5, 7, 8, and 9 in the AP Poll all lost in a single day.

The Big 12 was total chaos, wth its top three teams, ranked 2, 3, and 7 in the country, all losing at home to unranked teams.

What a great day for fans of the sport. It's going to be a great tournament.

Maybe some day the women's side will have enough high quality teams to have a day like that.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/05/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

True, WCBB doesn't have the one-and-done rule so there's more stratification.

PostPosted: 02/05/17 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Thank goodness. Women athletes are still, for the most part, more focused on getting an education and having something to fall back on!

PostPosted: 02/05/17 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The one and done rule has absolutely nothing to do with yesterday's upsets. Indeed the kings of the one-and-dones, Kentucky, lost to a team that starts two seniors, two juniors and one sophomore, which is a veteran team even by WCBB standards.

The one and done rule doesn't explain one little bit the greater parity in MCBB. It's nearly entirely the result of a much deeper and more dispersed talent pool.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/05/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

Thank goodness. Women athletes are still, for the most part, more focused on getting an education and having something to fall back on!

If the women had the opportunity to make the same amount of money the men do, they would be one-and-done as well ...

PostPosted: 02/05/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

The men who leave early make more money in one year as a pro than an average graduate earns in ten years. And after three years as a pro, when their class graduates, they will have earned more than most graduates earn in a lifetime.

As a professor told me long ago, if you are going to college to earn more money you would be better off learning to drive a backhoe or becoming a machinist.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/05/17 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
As a professor told me long ago, if you are going to college to earn more money you would be better off learning to drive a backhoe or becoming a machinist.

I was talking to a guy the other day who operates a backhoe. He said his father had told him he should stay in school or he'd end up digging ditches, which is exactly what he does. He then mentioned that he works in a climate controlled cab and gets paid three times as much as the junior engineer who has to go out in the cold and inspect his work.

PostPosted: 02/05/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
The one and done rule has absolutely nothing to do with yesterday's upsets. Indeed the kings of the one-and-dones, Kentucky, lost to a team that starts two seniors, two juniors and one sophomore, which is a veteran team even by WCBB standards.

That was kinda the point. The most talented MCBB teams are the least experienced and can be taken down by more seasoned teams that don't have their athletic ability. In WCBB, the best teams have both the talent and the experience. That makes their results more predictable.

PostPosted: 02/05/17 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

That was kinda the point. The most talented MCBB teams are the least experienced and can be taken down by more seasoned teams that don't have their athletic ability. In WCBB, the best teams have both the talent and the experience. That makes their results more predictable.

Most of the high ranked teams aren't built with one and dones. KY is an anomoly. Look at Nova and UVA and UNC.

The number of one and done players is too significantly tiny to even be relevant to the discussion.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/05/17 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Men's basketball gives 13 scholarships, women's basketball can give 15. If you made it even there would be some talent distribution evened out a little better. I think that has more of an effect than the NBA one and done rule.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/05/17 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Men's basketball gives 13 scholarships, women's basketball can give 15. If you made it even there would be some talent distribution evened out a little better. I think that has more of an effect than the NBA one and done rule.

Theoretically, I suppose so, but at least some of the perrenial leaders like UConn and ND never come close to filling the fifteen spots. I don't think Stanford does either. Would eliminating those 14 and 15th spots really spread out much elite talent?

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 02/06/17 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Theoretically, I suppose so, but at least some of the perrenial leaders like UConn and ND never come close to filling the fifteen spots. I don't think Stanford does either. Would eliminating those 14 and 15th spots really spread out much elite talent?

I think it could help spread a little more of the talent. I think a lot of schools leave those 14th and 15th spots open to give themselves a little more wiggle room to accept a transfer, if a desirable player wishes to transfer. It's possible that teams that might only carry 13 or fewer players on the roster might want to leave a couple of spots open for a transfer, with the rationale that at most, they are probably only planning to play 10 players regularly.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/06/17 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe all of this is why I'm enjoying mid-major BB more recently.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: