RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Most talented player in the country
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 01/27/17 2:50 pm    ::: Most talented player in the country Reply Reply with quote

According to Andy Landers. It might be Diamond DeShields.
http://www.secsports.com/video/18563068/deshields-most-talented-player-country

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/27/17 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IDK if we should start the hype train on diamond yet , shes playing superb lets not make it a big deal so when she performs poorly the posters dont attack her harder than in the past . She is possibly the most talented but i dont think anyone would disagree she has the highest Professional Ceiling in the College game at this time .

PostPosted: 01/27/17 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd rather have heart-of-a-lion Gabby Williams on my pro or college team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 01/27/17 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to say who the best in the country is. But if we are comparing Diamond and Gabby, I'd take Gabby 100% for my pro team.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/27/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Id take Diamond still no doubt . Gabby is good hell shes great but will it translate the odds are in favor of Diamond on the translation scale In my opinion.

PostPosted: 01/27/17 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond may be the most talented, she is certainly one of the most athletic and physically gifted, but she is also one of the biggest head cases as well. Her ceiling is limited only by her wavering focus, particularly on the defensive end of the court.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/27/17 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby Williams is Olympic caliber athleticism. Google her.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/27/17 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Id take Diamond still no doubt . Gabby is good hell shes great but will it translate the odds are in favor of Diamond on the translation scale In my opinion.
Talented? Without a doubt. But how many wings in the WNBA had a 25% 3 pt average in college? And if you can't shoot 3's you had better be an outstanding defender & rebounder and play at a high energy level every minute you are on the court. Honestly has DD displayed those traits? Not to mention her chronic injuries.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/17 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually she is an outstanding defender when she feels like it.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/27/17 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond has more basketball athleticism than Gabby Williams. Williams has more track and field type of athleticism. Gabby has better passing awareness and skills.

Diamond is not a good 3pt shooter. Gabby is worse.

The answer is Katie Lou Samuelson.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Gabby Williams is Olympic caliber athleticism. Google her.

And Skeets Nehemiah was the world record holder in the 110 hurdles, but that didn't mean he was worth a damn in his foray into playing WR in the NFL.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/27/17 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I concluded long ago to let the talented head case go somewhere else. Cool

PostPosted: 01/27/17 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I concluded long ago to let the talented head case go somewhere else. Cool

Maybe, but for three years she was the only way Geno could break the 55.
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 01/27/17 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nared said last night about Diamond. " When she is in attack mode no one can stop her."

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 01/27/17 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
Nared said last night about Diamond. " When she is in attack mode no one can stop her."

Yeah when she feels like being in attack mode.

Gabby Williams is ALWAYS in attack mode and no one can stop her either. I'd rather take a player who is ALWAYS in attack mode over someone who is only when it suits her.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 01/27/17 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:

Gabby Williams is ALWAYS in attack mode and no one can stop her either. I'd rather take a player who is ALWAYS in attack mode over someone who is only when it suits her.

+1

Shades

PostPosted: 01/28/17 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:

She also is capable of putting the team ahead of the spotlight for herself. If I were to try to say this about the DeShields, I would crack myself up.

ClayK, who has a vote in the Wooden Award but doesn't watch the games so he asks the board who he should vote for, doesn't even vote for Williams in the Wooden Award. Apparently he's not the only one. That's why all these polls and awards can sometimes have whack results. Some of the people that decide them aren't engaged enough to get it right.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/28/17 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My thought about DD is that she tends to overthink. When she is not doing that, when she's basically in a sort of "unconscious" mode, she's a much better player. When she thinks too hard about what she's doing is when she doesn't play well.

We have a player like that at JMU--not nearly as good as DD, but very good when she's not thinking too hard about what she's doing or about the knee she hurt last year. When she's really engaged, she's amazing, but when she starts thinking too hard, she screws up and Coach O has to pull her. I'm sure she's wondering why she's sitting on the bench and I think Coach Ian is trying to help her get out of her head; I saw him talking to her quite a bit last night.

PostPosted: 01/28/17 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"who is the most talented?" Is not the same question as "what would be my number one choice for a player to add to my team?" Or even "who is playing the best?".

DD obviously has enormous physical talents and it would be hard to argue there is any other player that clearly has more, yet there are times she hoists airball after airball or is ineffective because it appears at least she doesn't have her head in the game.

She would not be my first choice to add to my ideal team, maybe not even in the top 10 but if the narrow question is about physical talents she's near the top of my list.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 01/29/17 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, are these 3 DD, Gabby and Katie Lou the only 3 who would fall under the 'most taletented"? Where would Kelsey Plum be.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 01/29/17 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
So, are these 3 DD, Gabby and Katie Lou the only 3 who would fall under the 'most taletented"? Where would Kelsey Plum be.

Gabby and Diamond are two of the most talented. I don't know where Katie Lou Samuelson falls into this category. She's a very good offensive player but she's not even in the realm of 'Most talented and or athletic' players in college. I haven't really seen much of Kelsey Plum but from what I hear, she's more in the category of 'very good offensive player' like KLS. In my opinion, 'most talented' means 'most all around talented' which is where Gabby and Diamond fall into. They can do pretty much everything very well. KLS and Plum are great shooters but what else do they really do? I'm just asking, because I have watched KLS a lot and know know her game. But aside from shooting lights out from anywhere on the court, what else does KLS and Kelsey Plum do?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/29/17 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:

If that's the universe of permissible answers, I choose "none of the above".

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/29/17 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

But aside from shooting lights out from anywhere on the court, what else does KLS and Kelsey Plum do?

Plum is a good ball handler and passer. I think she is a better shooter, passer, and ball handler than DeShields. DeShields has height, athleticism, and defensive potential but offensively DeShields is an inefficient scorer, high turnover rate. Not sure if she makes others around her better, at least on the current Tennessee team.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/29/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
bballgrl wrote:

But aside from shooting lights out from anywhere on the court, what else does KLS and Kelsey Plum do?

Plum is a good ball handler and passer. I think she is a better shooter, passer, and ball handler than DeShields. DeShields has height, athleticism, and defensive potential but offensively DeShields is an inefficient scorer, high turnover rate. Not sure if she makes others around her better, at least on the current Tennessee team.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/29/17 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: