RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Most talented player in the country
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 01/29/17 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Parker was at Tennessee. She put the team on her back. I think that's what Diamond is trying to do.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/29/17 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
When Parker was at Tennessee. She put the team on her back. I think that's what Diamond is trying to do.

How she doing?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/30/17 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least Parker played defense 50% of the time and she usually made her teammates better. Deshields not so much.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/30/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
At least Parker played defense 50% of the time and she usually made her teammates better. Deshields not so much.

I love My CP but i think your being a bit generous with the 50% lol more like 30% dont matter she got her Ship !! yaya

PostPosted: 01/30/17 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She played a real good game. In win at South Carolina.

blackrain

PostPosted: 02/03/17 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond Deshields, Asia(sp) Wilson, or Napheshia(sp) Collier. Not that impressed with Gabby Williams. I would take Jaime Nared before Gabby

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/04/17 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blackrain wrote:
Diamond Deshields, Asia(sp) Wilson, or Napheshia(sp) Collier. Not that impressed with Gabby Williams. I would take Jaime Nared before Gabby

Thanks I needed that laugh Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

blackrain

PostPosted: 02/04/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have at it lol. I am not that impressed with Gabby, and that is my opinion. If you are, that is your opinion. I could find at least ten more Gabby's around the country on different teams. She doesn't stand out in any way to me. She plays hard and fits well with what Geno is doing for his team, but Gabby individually, I would not covet because her skillset is limited IMO. I'm not one of those people that confuse playing hard, with actual skills.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/04/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blackrain wrote:
I could find at least ten more Gabby's around the country on different teams.

Okay, name ten Gabbies.

blackrain wrote:
Gabby individually, I would not covet because her skillset is limited IMO.

That must explain why she constantly fills up a stat sheet

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 02/06/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
blackrain wrote:
I could find at least ten more Gabby's around the country on different teams.

Okay, name ten Gabbies.

blackrain wrote:
Gabby individually, I would not covet because her skillset is limited IMO.

That must explain why she constantly fills up a stat sheet

I'm with Shades on this one name 10 other Gabbies lol?

If Gabby was at Tennessee I'm sure she will be wearing a blue headband, witch I believe has to be earned and not given.
linkster

PostPosted: 02/06/17 1:04 pm    ::: Re: Most talented player in the country Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
According to Andy Landers. It might be Diamond DeShields.
http://www.secsports.com/video/18563068/deshields-most-talented-player-country

Andy is a shill for the SEC. The value of his opinions about players is like asking Dinah Shore which make of car was the best back in the early sixties.

The revealing part of his statement was not in what he said, but in what he didn't say, namely that DeShields might be the BEST player in the country. By limiting his assessment to talent he was politely saying she is an under-performer.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/14/17 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would draft Gabby before DeShields or Mitchell.

PostPosted: 02/14/17 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After last night, Gabby should not only be a unanimous All American, but should also be considered as defensive player of the year, AAC player of the year and should be a top 5 consideration for National Player of the Year.

I said the other day that I'd be mad if the Sun won the lottery next year and selected Gabby Williams 1st instead of Aja Wilson. I changed my mind.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JhLNdRENdoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/14/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point, does Gabby Williams have a case for National POY over Kelsey Plum, I'm not sure. But at the start of the season I would've never thought she would even be mentioned as an AA, let alone this! She's been completely tremendous.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/14/17 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
At this point, does Gabby Williams have a case for National POY over Kelsey Plum, I'm not sure. But at the start of the season I would've never thought she would even be mentioned as an AA, let alone this! She's been completely tremendous.

I think she has a strong case for it and also zero chance of winning it.

dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 02/14/17 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I think she has a strong case for it and also zero chance of winning it.

Agree! It's Plum's award and no one is even close to taking it away from her

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/14/17 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum deserves POY and will win most or all.

Gabby Williams is a terrific athlete, hustler, defender and post-player for her size. And she got great TV exposure from her career scoring game against South Carolina. However, she is at best an average mid-range shooter and has shown no shooting touch at all from the arc. This will hurt her pro potential. There aren't many 5-11 post players in the pros.

Samuelson is the better player, in my opinion, because she has tremendous shooting touch from her ambidextrous layups at the rim to way out beyond the arc. She also probably has more sophisticated post moves than Williams, though not the explosiveness or the inclination to engage in them.

Hence, I continue to rate Samuelson as the best player on UConn with Napheesa Collier second. Collier has a much better shooting touch than Williams -- on 2FG%, 3FG% and FT% -- and has a higher efficiency rating. Collier is equal to Williams as a rebounder, better as a shot blocker, and not as good as a passer or ball stealer.

All three UConn players deserve All-America consideration, but Samuelson stands out to me because she has has been a pro-level shooter from all distances since she was 15 years old. She had her worst game of the season against South Carolina, unfortunately for her TV exposure.
linkster

PostPosted: 02/14/17 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I agree that Plum would need to really screw up to lose the POY awards. I'd give Williams the lead among likely winners of the MOP of the NCAA's. She has shown to be at her best in the biggest games while Samuelson, admittedly a transcendent shooter, has yet to do so.

I'd be curious to know which award Plum would prefer.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 02/14/17 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
While I agree that Plum would need to really screw up to lose the POY awards. I'd give Williams the lead among likely winners of the MOP of the NCAA's. She has shown to be at her best in the biggest games while Samuelson, admittedly a transcendent shooter, has yet to do so.

while Samuelson, admittedly a transcendent shooter, has yet to do so. ?????

UConn to me is all about the team, with often different players excelling.
One great game nor one poor game makes a season.
You mentioned Samuelson hasnt been at her best in the biggest games.

UConn has played 9 Top 25 teams this season. Lou has scored the following (no particular game order)
FSU 14
Baylor 16
Texas 12
Notre Dame 18
OSU 26
Maryland 23
Depaul 16
USF 19
SC 6
Total of 150 points

By the way in the same games Williams has scored

FSU 7
Baylor 14
Texas 11
Notre Dame 19
OSU 7
Maryland 16
Depaul 2
USF 11
SC 26

Total of 113

Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/17 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, add up the other stats too. Williams makes teammates look good.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/14/17 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
linkster wrote:

UConn has played 9 Top 25 teams this season. Lou has scored the following (no particular game order)
FSU 14
Baylor 16
Texas 12
Notre Dame 18
OSU 26
Maryland 23
Depaul 16
USF 19
SC 6
Total of 150 points

FSU 7
Baylor 14
Texas 11
Notre Dame 19
OSU 7
Maryland 16
Depaul 2
USF 11
SC 26

Total of 113

In the first place I don't consider the OSU, Depaul or USF games as "big". And as someone has already pointed out, scoring is only one facet of being the MOP of any game. Finally, as you yourself stated, "UConn to me is all about the team" and Williams impacts her team in more ways than KLS. What she did defensively last night was more impactful than her scoring. If she was a race horse she would be called a freak, which is used to describe a horse that runs away from it's competition, like Secretariat.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 02/14/17 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
linkster wrote:

FSU 14
Baylor 16
Texas 12
Notre Dame 18
OSU 26
Maryland 23
Depaul 16
USF 19
SC 6
Total of 150 points

FSU 7
Baylor 14
Texas 11
Notre Dame 19
OSU 7
Maryland 16
Depaul 2
USF 11
SC 26

Total of 113

You have to look at the shot attempt.
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 02/15/17 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I think of talent I think of skill more than athleticism; which most times you either have or you don't. Skill you can work on and get better. And I think Plum is the most skilled player in women's college basketball right now.

PostPosted: 02/15/17 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I honestly think she doesn't care. She just wants another solid tourney run. At some point, she stopped being concerned about individual awards. She used to care. Three and a half years ago, as a freshman, she promised to break whatever school records Jaz Davis (then a junior) would go on to set. Davis laughed and said, "Sure. Just make sure you win." She is not that same freshman. She is not chasing records. Often times now, when she gets asked in an interview, "Oh, did you know you were approaching this record?", she'll respond with something like, "Only because the media keeps bringing it up."

It's customary at UW for players to receive gameballs for notable accomplishments--I'm sure it is a common thing around college basketball. Osahor was recently presented with one prior to the Cal game for topping 1000 rebounds. Plum apparently asked Neighbors not to have a 3000-point ball and not to have a ceremony. I don't think she's doing it for show. She is just no longer focused on individual accolades. She is not, however, solely focused on winning. She'll stay late (an hour or so after the game) to sign autographs for fans, when Neighbors tells his players they can stay longer if they want due to tomorrow's day off. She'll go out of her way to go shake hands with an opponent who was too injured to walk with her teammates through the post-game high five line. She is focused on winning, but she is also focused on being a good teammate, a good role model, and a good sport.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: