RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stay in school or go pro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/18/17 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Every player hits a sell-by date, so your career length is your career length, whether you play your age 22 year in college or the pros.

Now trading your senior year in college for $150,000 or $200,000 is a decision I think a lot of us would struggle with, but I think I would have taken the money in a heartbeat. Others will feel differently, of course, but that's a lot of money ...

It's an even more significant sum if your career is four years (or in the unlikely event the WNBA goes broke). If you lose $150,000 out of a 10-year, $1.5 million career, that's different than losing $150,000 out of a four-year, $600,000 career -- and a blown-out knee can change everything.

I'd argue that's the reason that a degree +/- an advanced degree is even more important, simply because one can't know if and when that knee injury will occur.

Of course, this whole discussion presupposes that a 20-year-old is going to make a rational decision.

Anyone have data on what percentage of athletes who leave school without their degree actually obtain it at some future time?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/18/17 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nicky Anosike ended up with 2 different undergraduate degrees and a master's before her eligibility ran out. She still did well in the draft, IIRC, and played for quite awhile in the pros.

PostPosted: 01/18/17 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Now trading your senior year in college for $150,000 or $200,000 is a decision I think a lot of us would struggle with, but I think I would have taken the money in a heartbeat. Others will feel differently, of course, but that's a lot of money ...

If someone had come to me at 21 and offered me that much money to quit school and do something I loved and was good at, I probably would have taken it.

If someone came to me today and offered me that much money or the chance to be a 21-year-old college student for a year, I would not hesitate to choose the latter.

PostPosted: 01/19/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Nicky Anosike ended up with 2 different undergraduate degrees and a master's before her eligibility ran out. She still did well in the draft, IIRC, and played for quite awhile in the pros.

Nicky was an impressive student, but her WNBA career ended halfway through year 5 when she injured her knee. I have no idea what she's doing now, but hopefully she found her degrees helpful.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/19/17 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Nicky was an impressive student, but her WNBA career ended halfway through year 5 when she injured her knee. I have no idea what she's doing now, but hopefully she found her degrees helpful.

I think nicky only officially played 2 to 3 years. The Minny days then the hampered sparks days. Maybe we should list all players that are eligible and post pros and cons for each player as to why they should stay or go? Pilight...where are you???

PostPosted: 01/19/17 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine there's anyone other than Mitchell and DeShields with anything to even think about.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/19/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I can't imagine there's anyone other than Mitchell and DeShields with anything to even think about.

Agreed, unless there is some great junior with pro eligibility of which I am unaware.

Or is Kaela Davis big and talented enough that someone would take a lottery pick roll of the dice on her (based on potential)?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/19/17 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Agreed, unless there is some great junior with pro eligibility of which I am unaware.

Or is Kaela Davis big and talented enough that someone would take a lottery pick roll of the dice on her (based on potential)?

Is Kaela Davis going to get a big shoe contract or a giant overseas contract?
I think the answers are "no" and "no".
Not a big enough name to attract either one.
She's not even close to being the biggest star on her own college team.
Which means no big bucks for her. I don't care where she gets drafted.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/20/17 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

At the beginning of the season she was the savior and grumbles of possible #1 pick contentions šŸ˜‚ 1 game and the world stops.

PostPosted: 01/20/17 3:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not saying a lottery pick but I think any of these players if they came out could go in the first round and get a decent overseas contract, decent meaning in the same range as this years 1st round picks who went overseas.

I'm not sure where they are playing but I'm pretty sure mid to late first round picks like T. Mitchell, Boyette and Holmes are all making good money overseas. There are even players who never got out of training camp having decent multi year career overseas, maybe they're not making six figure but they are probably still making more than Wnba rookies, and probably more than the average American makes in a year..

If these players came out they would do OK on the international market.

Vivians
K. Davis
Mavunga
L. Brown
Russell
Canada (who might be age eligible)

In terms of the bigger conversation I'm a firm believer in personal freedom, if a player wants to come out early go for it, If a player wants to complete their eligibility good for them, if a player over the course of the career has two red-shirt years and keeps getting scholarships and ends up with a double master that would be pretty awesome. Everyone is different, what people want out of their lives is different no one should be condemned for making the decision they think is best for them.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/20/17 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I'm not saying a lottery pick but I think any of these players if they came out could go in the first round and get a decent overseas contract, decent meaning in the same range as this years 1st round picks who went overseas.

I'm not sure where they are playing but I'm pretty sure mid to late first round picks like T. Mitchell, Boyette and Holmes are all making good money overseas. There are even players who never got out of training camp having decent multi year career overseas, maybe they're not making six figure but they are probably still making more than Wnba rookies, and probably more than the average American makes in a year..

Vivians
K. Davis
Mavunga
L. Brown
Russell

In terms of the bigger conversation I'm a firm believer in personal freedom, if a player wants to come out early go for it, If a player wants to complete their eligibility good for them, if a player over the course of the career has two red-shirt years and keeps getting scholarships and ends up with a double master that would be pretty awesome. Everyone is different, what people want out of their lives is different no one should be condemned for making the decision they think is best for them.

What does "personal freedom" have to do with it? No one's advocating a rule preventing them from leaving school. But because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD, and whether they SHOULD is what the discussion is about.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/20/17 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Vivians
K. Davis
Mavunga
L. Brown
Russell

What does "personal freedom" have to do with it? No one's advocating a rule preventing them from leaving school. But because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD, and whether they SHOULD is what the discussion is about.

Yes and I think people should be "free" to make up their own minds about what is right for them without being judged or condemned by others, because those others have an opinion on what they "should" do.

My point being that there isn't a right answer to the question, there is only a right answer to the individual involved, and those answers will vary person to person.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/20/17 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's nice, but if we didn't discuss the wisdom or stupidity of people's decisions and judgments, there wouldn't be much to discuss on this forum, would there?

I don't understand why this one decision should be seperated and immune from discussion.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/20/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA salary: $55,000
Money in Russia: $900,000
Two kegger weekends: Priceless Shocked

Stay in school kids, you won't regret it

Now, where did THAT come from??? Laughing

PostPosted: 01/20/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
That's nice, but if we didn't discuss the wisdom or stupidity of people's decisions and judgments, there wouldn't be much to discuss on this forum, would there?

I don't understand why this one decision should be seperated and immune from discussion.

I never said it shouldn't be discussed, or maybe you could point out where I did say that as clearly from your posts on my comments you think I need you to educate me on the content of my own opinion, and what this board is about. Thanks for all your help and support. See what I did there, instead of just responding with my normal jovial style where I articulate my point in a non-confrontational manner I threw in a little bit of that dismissive and condescending attitude that you are clearly a huge fan of.

In fact neither of your posts in relationship to my comments are forwarding the discussion of the topic hand. You do not actually express an opinion whether you think players should or shouldn't stay in school, or whether you agree or disagree with my comment that the situation varies player to player, you simply go out of your way to make it seems as if my opinion isn't valid, or is somehow an attempt at censorship.

Again my point is that whether you stay or go pro is an individual decision which may vary from one person to another so there is no simple right answer to the original poster's question, which is actually participating in the conversation as opposed to trying to shut it down.

awhom111

PostPosted: 01/21/17 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have there been any past decisions that look bad in hindsight for basketball reasons? It seems like most of them have worked out, at least on the court, even ones that have been controversial at the time. The one that is a little hard to score is the Zahui B one since being a European completely changes here earnings potential overseas.

It is interesting to think about if Powers or Tuck had gotten injured during this college season instead of during their first pro season.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 01/21/17 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I think nicky only officially played 2 to 3 years. The Minny days then the hampered sparks days. Maybe we should list all players that are eligible and post pros and cons for each player as to why they should stay or go? Pilight...where are you???

She played from 2008-2012, then was with the Liberty in preseason 2014 before getting cut.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 01/21/17 12:02 pm    ::: Re: Stay in school or go pro Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
For players who are not seniors. That are elgible for the draft. Players like Diamond DeShields, Mercedes Russell, and others. Who can enter the draft if they choose to. Should the players stay or go?

Most girls like Diamond DeShields, Mercedes Russell, have been school for 4 years and have there degree. Now that almost all the girls go to both summer school classes so they can practice can finish school in 3 years.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/21/17 12:06 pm    ::: Re: Stay in school or go pro Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:
For players who are not seniors. That are elgible for the draft. Players like Diamond DeShields, Mercedes Russell, and others. Who can enter the draft if they choose to. Should the players stay or go?

Most girls like Diamond DeShields, Mercedes Russell, have been school for 4 years and have there degree. Now that almost all the girls go to both summer school classes so they can practice can finish school in 3 years.

And finishing your degree on line while making six figures is a possibility too.

PostPosted: 01/21/17 1:37 pm    ::: Re: Stay in school or go pro Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:

And finishing your degree on line while making six figures is a possibility too.

Depends where you go to school. I doubt Stanford is allowing anyone to finish their degree entirely online.

LitePal

PostPosted: 01/21/17 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Similarly, if the degrees are that important, why would a girl choose South Carolina, Baylor or Tennessee over Vandy, Notre Dame, Stanford, or even a Virginia, Cal Or UCLA?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/21/17 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Similarly, if the degrees are that important, why would a girl choose South Carolina, Baylor or Tennessee over Vandy, Notre Dame, Stanford, or even a Virginia, Cal Or UCLA?

This might be a very good reason for NOT choosing Baylor, coach or no coach (and I can't help wondering how Kim feels about this situation)
http://deadspin.com/another-title-ix-official-at-baylor-says-she-quit-becau-1791443926

PostPosted: 01/21/17 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This excerpt from the above:
"Lyons, with the help of advocacy group End Rape on Campus, filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights on Apr. 27, 2016" ....certainly offers no hope, given Trump's reign.
I'd LIKE to think this story is exaggerated, but fear it's NOT. And is probably telling of many colleges and universities. I should think that constant repetition of such acts would get more notice by higher law officials. [See: Duke's lacrosse team] But, I also used to believe in "liberty and justice for all." Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 01/21/17 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
"Lyons, with the help of advocacy group End Rape on Campus, filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights on Apr. 27, 2016" ....certainly offers no hope, given Trump's reign.
I'd LIKE to think this story is exaggerated, but fear it's NOT. And is probably telling of many colleges and universities. I should think that constant repetition of such acts would get more notice by higher law officials. [See: Duke's lacrosse team] But, I also used to believe in "liberty and justice for all." Rolling Eyes

That might not be the best example...

PostPosted: 01/21/17 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

That might not be the best example...

Nope. And i will say that Vandy at least did go after the football players accused of rape on their campus (who were tried and found guilty). But Baylor's actions and indeed, their whole position, are a big black stain, and I would not allow a child of mine to talk to any of their coaches. Period. Done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: