RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Keep on rolling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RM619

PostPosted: 01/11/17 2:14 pm    ::: Keep on rolling Reply Reply with quote

Another 90-game streak just a number for UConn's Auriemma

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/another-90-game-streak-just-a-number-for-uconns-auriemma/ar-BBy9ieC

HARTFORD, Conn. — It's never about streaks with Geno Auriemma. He's been there and done that.

When you already own the longest winning streak in NCAA college basketball history, all you're doing is changing the number.

ridor

PostPosted: 01/12/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boringsville.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/12/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It isn't UConn that is hyping it. It's the media.

Quote:
"Some things you just can't really explain, you just have to enjoy it." Auriemma said after the 102-37 victory. "We don't set out to do these kinds of things. We don't set out to set records, break records or keep track of records. We set out to play as hard as we can, play with as much energy as we can. Forget the 90 wins, tonight was a perfect example of what Connecticut basketball can accomplish."

It's no secret that UConn has won almost every game they played in for years. But the media uses that obvious fact to try and attract the masses who otherwise couldn't care less about wbb. If UConn should keep winning ESPN will be hyping the game for 100 vs S Carolina like a heavyweight championship.

Me? I'm just enjoying each game. I didn't expect UConn to play like they did in December till next April. And I didn't think they'd play like they did vs USF till next season, if ever.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/12/17 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

This this this thisthisthisthis this. ESPN is the most egregious in terms of it, but there's a certain laziness in mainstream media regarding WBB. They latch on to the one thing they can understand quickly and without having to, y'know, do research and shit.

I've said this before, and until such time as it stops happening I'll keep saying it: It's really obvious that UConn is good at basketball things. It would be much easier to enjoy them without ESPN constantly telling me how wonderful they are. I can figure that out all by myself.

(now with spelling variations)
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 01/12/17 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Boringsville.

Not as boring as your comment. For a person who says they hate Uconn so much, you sure seem to obsess over them a lot. Closeted Uconn fan.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/12/17 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
ridor wrote:
Boringsville.

Not as boring as your comment. For a person who says they hate Uconn so much, you sure seem to obsess over them a lot. Closeted Uconn fan.

According to Rahnerian Bonerology, we're all UConn fans even if we've never seen them play.

PostPosted: 01/12/17 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
linkster wrote:

This this this thisthisthisthis this. ESPN is the most egregious in terms of it, but there's a certain laziness in mainstream media regarding WBB. They latch on to the one thing they can understand quickly and without having to, y'know, do research and shit.

I've said this before, and until such time as it stops happening I'll keep saying it: It's really obvious that UConn is good at basketball things. It would be much easier to enjoy them without ESPN constantly telling me how wonderful they are. I can figure that out all by myself.

Well, to be fair, winning 90 games in a row is a big deal. If it were happening in another sport, it would be hyped up in the media even more than it is with Uconn. If they win 100 in a row, that would be monumental and should be plastered over every front page and be on every website in the world.

But I also agree with you, when watching a game on espn or another network, the only time Uconn should be mentioned during that game is if Uconn is PLAYNG in that game. Not a game goes by on the espn networks that Uconn isn't mentioned in some capacity. It IS the biggest news in WCBB but there is other news as well.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 01/12/17 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
ridor wrote:
Boringsville.

According to Rahnerian Bonerology, we're all UConn fans even if we've never seen them play.

Geno for President of the United States

ridor

PostPosted: 01/13/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wake me up when someone other than UCows play in Final Four.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 01/13/17 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

Oh good. Stay asleep. That means we won't have to read your bitter jealous rants for at least another 5 years.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/13/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 01/13/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

Over the last 10 years, only 22.5% of Final Four teams have been UConn

PostPosted: 01/13/17 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ridor wrote:

Over the last 10 years, only 22.5% of Final Four teams have been UConn

Out of a possible 25% Surprised

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/13/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tying, breaking and extending the longest winning streak not only in women's college basketball, but in all of basketball, is the most historic and momentous thing currently happening in the sport. Therefore, it should be given prominent coverage by ESPN and by all sports news outlets.
pilight

PostPosted: 01/13/17 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
the longest winning streak not only in women's college basketball, but in all of basketball

Edna Tarbutton would disagree

PostPosted: 01/13/17 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
the longest winning streak not only in women's college basketball, but in all of basketball

Nice find!

Okay, I'll exclude high school basketball, the Harlem Globetrotters and the All-American Redheads, and see if pilight can find longer streaks in the Euro, Australian and Asian leagues.

Meanwhile, historic achievements deserve historic news coverage. I'd like to see sports writers at other than ESPN giving greater recognition to the potential 90+ winning streak. And I'd say that no matter what school was doing it.
pilight

PostPosted: 01/13/17 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Nice find!

I attended the WBHOF ceremony when she was inducted. I remember them making a big deal out of the streak.

PostPosted: 01/15/17 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

You don't say much, but when you do, you don't say much.

Wake ME up when you say something of intelligence. I'm looking forward to my Rip Van Winkle-like sleep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: