RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Fight at Utah St./UNLV Game 1/8/17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/09/17 11:45 am    ::: Fight at Utah St./UNLV Game 1/8/17 Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18429695/brawl-erupts-unlv-utah-state-women-basketball-teams

Had to laugh at the announcer, "We've got ourselves a brouhaha...."

Also got a chuckle from, and great admiration for, the Utah St. player hopping on one foot over to the fight. I would have done about three hops and then been flat on my face!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/09/17 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, the girl recovering from a knee or leg injury hopping across the court on one leg was the classic.

Probably not the best idea. But talk about being a dedicated teammate.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/09/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Other than a little shoving I didn't see a "brawl".

But they still did it better than MLB. Very Happy

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/17 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

surprised the girls actually throwing punches were only given a one game suspension.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/10/17 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
surprised the girls actually throwing punches were only given a one game suspension.

That's because they aren't named Griner.

Funny how the reaction to this is more amusement as opposed to the reaction of horror and calls for banning that followed Griner's punch.

I wonder why? Rolling Eyes

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/10/17 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:

That's because they aren't named Griner.

Funny how the reaction to this is more amusement as opposed to the reaction of horror and calls for banning that followed Griner's punch.

I wonder why? Rolling Eyes

Because no one got hurt, maybe?

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/17 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure if you read my post as amusement. It wasn't. I was thinking a three game suspension would be more appropriate. I think a strong message needs to be given.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/10/17 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How can you possibly give them more if you give an All American from Duke only a one game suspension for his third offense for intentionally tripping an opponent?

I'm not defending at all the treatment of Grayson Allen. He should have gotten ten games or the rest of the season as far as I'm concerned. But with that recent precedent regarding a star player from the Duke men's team staring you in the face, I don't see how you could fairly hammer these obscure players from a couple of mid major women's teams.

I agree with you that stronger messages need to be given...in ALL of these situations.

They should have given one game suspensions to every player that left the bench too. Especially the fool who hopped into the fray on one leg.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/10/17 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grayson Allen should be off the team, IMNSHO. But oh, no, that would. Hurt his precious "future". <gag> I personally think there is something badly wrong with that boy.

But the guys are judged in a different way from the girls, as ever was. And in any case, I think this kind of behavior should be punished pretty severely and a message should be sent so that it does not occur again.....and the punishments should be consistent right along.

PostPosted: 01/10/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These suspensions came from the Mountain West Conference. Until the NCAA steps in, you're relying on the conferences to set their own penalties. I'm not sure that you'll get consistency.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/11/17 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
These suspensions came from the Mountain West Conference. Until the NCAA steps in, you're relying on the conferences to set their own penalties. I'm not sure that you'll get consistency.

You're right, you won't. And it's even worse because in the Grayson Allen situation the ACC left it to Duke. Swofford should be ashamed for that. But of course everyone is intimidated by Krzyzewski.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/11/17 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

You're right, you won't. And it's even worse because in the Grayson Allen situation the ACC left it to Duke. Swofford should be ashamed for that. But of course everyone is intimidated by Krzyzewski.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Meanwhile, Rick Barnes at Tennessee kicked his second highest scorer off the team for "violation of team rules". Character counts with him.

And didn't Griner get just a *one game* suspension for her punch, which I think was handed out by Kim and not by the conference?

PostPosted: 01/11/17 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

And didn't Griner get just a *one game* suspension for her punch, which I think was handed out by Kim and not by the conference?

Griner was given a one game suspension from the conference and an additional one game suspension from Mulkey as well as having her go to therapy/anger management for the remainder of the year.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/11/17 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Griner was given a one game suspension from the conference and an additional one game suspension from Mulkey as well as having her go to therapy/anger management for the remainder of the year.

Thanks. I do think that did her some good, anyway. I felt at the time she should have gotten a longer suspension, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: