RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Best head coach in the Pac-12?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Pac-12 HC?
Mike Neighbors
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Tara Vanderveer
36%
 36%  [ 14 ]
Kelly Graves
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Scott Rueck
42%
 42%  [ 16 ]
Charli Turner Thorne
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Cynthia Cooper-Dyke
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
June Daugherty
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
JR Payne
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lynne Roberts
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Adia Barnes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cori Close
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lindsay Gottlieb
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 38

sigur3

PostPosted: 01/08/17 8:02 pm    ::: Best head coach in the Pac-12? Reply Reply with quote

There's a lot of great coaching in this conference. Who's at the top?

(Try to separate coaching from recruiting, please)

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/08/17 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is quita a special list. Not a single one of those people are anywhere near the hot seat. Cant say that about any other conference, for sure.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/08/17 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With what TVD's accomplished over the years, I really think you gotta give her the nod.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/08/17 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted but I don't get why people try to separate coaching and recruiting. Recruiting is a MAJOR part of college coaching. If you don't put in the work or can't identify players who fit your system, who cares if you are an X's and O's savant? Some of these coaches on this list have quite talented players, so how do we separate it if we haven't seen them with mediocre talent or vice versa, with great talent to see how they'd look?

Just playing devils advocate but if Arizona's coach had Washington's roster would she be much better? She used to coach at UW previously so she played a part in their success.

sigur3

PostPosted: 01/08/17 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
I voted but I don't get why people try to separate coaching and recruiting. Recruiting is a MAJOR part of college coaching. If you don't put in the work or can't identify players who fit your system, who cares if you are an X's and O's savant? Some of these coaches on this list have quite talented players, so how do we separate it if we haven't seen them with mediocre talent or vice versa, with great talent to see how they'd look?

Just playing devils advocate but if Arizona's coach had Washington's roster would she be much better? She used to coach at UW previously so she played a part in their success.

Of course, and you bring up great points. I guessed I should have worded it differently, my main goal with this poll is to ask the board which coach is currently doing the best job with the talent he/she has. But you're right.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/08/17 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Of course, and you bring up great points. I guessed I should have worded it differently, my main goal with this poll is to ask the board which coach is currently doing the best job with the talent he/she has. But you're right.

I think that would be the [not so] evil little gnome. It's amazing what he has done, especially considering what he has to work with...

I think Tara also does pretty damn good with what she has, especially considering her recruiting strictures.

- Amanda Gorman
IM in OC

PostPosted: 01/09/17 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am guessing this poll is about the 16/17 year, otherwise its Tara hands down.

If it is about 16/17 than I voted for Rueck.

OSU lost 2 of its top 3 players Weisner and Hamblin and also lost starter Devon Hunter. Rueck has already replaced those three with a variety of young players like Pivec, Tudor and McWilliams and has got solid play from Gulich, Brown and Orum.

Most of Ruecks recruits are not top players, yet he has already got them to play his system.

Just a question, for whoever voted for Gottlieb. Why?

sigur3

PostPosted: 01/09/17 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
I am guessing this poll is about the 16/17 year, otherwise its Tara hands down.

Yes

IM in OC wrote:

Good question

cattekin

PostPosted: 01/09/17 3:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:

As Cal gave up eight points in the last 12 seconds to lose today, I thought: "I guess I should go read the Lindsay-bashing in the 'hot seat' thread on Rebkell". Didn't have to scroll that far (and Lindsay didn't get my vote).

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/09/17 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for TVD. I mean, her resume is unmatched in this conference. Nowhere does it say who is doing the best coaching job this season.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 01/09/17 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I voted for TVD. I mean, her resume is unmatched in this conference. Nowhere does it say who is doing the best coaching job this season.

It doesnt say about this season or career. That's why I asked.

However, one might determine it is for this season, if not, why would someone even think to compare Tara with Adia Barnes, JR Payne or Lynne Roberts, all of which have less than, or just over, 1 year experience.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/09/17 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

It doesnt say about this season or career. That's why I asked.

However, one might determine it is for this season, if not, why would someone even think to compare Tara with Adia Barnes, JR Payne or Lynne Roberts, all of which have less than, or just over, 1 year experience.

Best Pac-12 HC

^ That was the title. Like I said, it's TVD hands down, no questions asked. Regardless of what is going on this year, she is still the best coach in that conference. Hell, she has probably forgotten more about basketball & coaching than all those others combined.

sammieee

PostPosted: 01/09/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voted for Reuck.

Big loss not landing Evina Westbrook. He's done a hell of a job with the talent he gets. Would be nice to see him land even a Top 20 kid (let alone Westbrook who's considered a #2/3). Someone said Mikayla Pivec was his highest rated recruit #26 HG, but all the other recruiting services (ASGR, PN, BS) had her in the 50-100. Same with Wiese, Weisner, Hamblin, etc who were all barely ranked in the Top 100 (or out). Marie Gulich and Breanna Brown have both developed nicely as well.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/09/17 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
Voted for Reuck.

Big loss not landing Evina Westbrook. He's done a hell of a job with the talent he gets. Would be nice to see him land even a Top 20 kid (let alone Westbrook who's considered a #2/3). Someone said Mikayla Pivec was his highest rated recruit #26 HG, but all the other recruiting services (ASGR, PN, BS) had her in the 50-100. Same with Wiese, Weisner, Hamblin, etc who were all barely ranked in the Top 100 (or out). Marie Gulich and Breanna Brown have both developed nicely as well.

McWilliams was ranked #39 by HG, fwiw. My Bruins tried pretty hard to get her, but couldn't. Hoopgurlz had Weisner at #41.

Your overall point, though, certainly holds: Rueck gets a lot out of prospects who are not Top 5 types. He's done an amazing job, there's absolutely no denying it.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/09/17 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scott: Uber remarkable in what he's accomplished in such a short amount of time, with not-uber-remarkable talent.

Tara: Her history speaks for itself

Me? I picked Kelly. Just cuz he's so "hot". Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: