RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oregon State (16) vs California (20) 1/6/17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigur3

PostPosted: 01/06/17 8:31 pm    ::: Oregon State (16) vs California (20) 1/6/17 Reply Reply with quote

8pm CT, Pac-12 Bay Area & Pac-12 Oregon

stever

PostPosted: 01/06/17 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you lack access to the Pac12 network:

http://i4atv.us/pac12/

Brinx

PostPosted: 01/06/17 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tied up at 18 at the end of the first.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/06/17 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First time seeing Pivec and I really like her game for a freshman. Anigwe has scored on some nice buckets too thus far.

Brinx

PostPosted: 01/06/17 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OSU just too much for Cal. 52-37 with just under 9 to go.

sigur3

PostPosted: 01/06/17 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like I'm watching an early Fowles-era Chicago Sky team. Dominant post player who puts up big numbers but whose overall impact is neutralized by an offense overly reliant on feeding the paint. Cal's guards are really letting them down here.

Also, Scott Rueck is REALLY freaking good, so there's that too. Terrific coaching.

stever

PostPosted: 01/06/17 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Also, Scott Rueck is REALLY freaking good, so there's that too. Terrific coaching.

THIS...despite the WSU & Marquette losses...he's done a terrific job maintaining continuity from last year...didn't expect that.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 01/07/17 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

THIS...despite the WSU & Marquette losses...he's done a terrific job maintaining continuity from last year...didn't expect that.

I thought OSU has only lost to Marquette, not WSU.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/07/17 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel sorry for Anigwe. She goes out and scores 26 while shooting 11 of 19. 58%. Meanwhile, the entire rest of the team shoots a combined 12 of 41. 29%. 4-12, 1-7, 1-6, 2-6, etc.

She can't do it all by herself, but she's getting no help at all.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/07/17 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
I feel like I'm watching an early Fowles-era Chicago Sky team. Dominant post player who puts up big numbers but whose overall impact is neutralized by an offense overly reliant on feeding the paint. Cal's guards are really letting them down here.

Yeah, I've thought that too. It's interesting how teams deal with a dominant post presence. It was awful to watch Chicago throw the ball away time after time because all they did was try to throw it in to Fowles and defenses were totally set up for that. It's the main reason I got so down on Pokey. And one of the reasons I've questioned Gottlieb. Range is actually very talented. I've been impressed with their Freshman Thomas and it helps that she can actually shoot as they've traditionally been a bit short on good shooters. Both Cowling and Davidson have had good showings too...so it's a mystery why they can't seem to really put it together. They're really dangerous because it seems like on any particular night, the light could come on and they could be awesome. OrSU isn't spectacular and is definitely a reflection on Rueck - totally nose to the grindstone and just continue to work even against more 'talented' teams.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/07/17 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
stever wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

I thought OSU has only lost to Marquette, not WSU.

True. Just Marquette. That was a bit of a wake up call.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/07/17 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Question for the left-coasters;
I have no idea what sort of school OSU is or what kind of campus they have but I'm wondering why Oregon recruits would pick Tennessee over OSU, or OU for that matter.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/07/17 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Question for the left-coasters;
I have no idea what sort of school OSU is or what kind of campus they have but I'm wondering why Oregon recruits would pick Tennessee over OSU, or OU for that matter.

Program prestige? I can't remember the records but Graves wasn't at Oregon when the 3 Oregon kids at UT were recruited. I'm thinking OSU was rebuilding at that time but I could be wrong.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/07/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eugene (Oregon) is a 'liberal' mid size city that ranks pretty high nationally in terms of a nice place to live/raise kids and the University has a big presence in the culture. Oregon State is in a much smaller town, more conservative, and started out as an agricultural college...so it depends on what you're looking for. Either one might be considered boring for local kids. Plus I think the grass tends to be greener elsewhere...at least for some. Plus there is that ego thing of being recruited by the best. Both local programs have improved in recent years, which I think also make it more attractive to the better recruits. We shall see.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/07/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I can understand Russell and Nared but not Westbrook. Graves is a near legend in the NW and Rueck's record since he got to OSU speaks for itself. Westbrook was recruited by Notre Dame and with all the guards/wings already there I can understand her not picking them but between Tenn and Maryland I can't understand it.* Westbrook was 9 or 10 when the LV's last made a FF. We older fans still remember the glory years but today's HS kids could barely read then.

*(Unless there is a gated community of luxury homes in the Knoxville area) Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: