RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Former Stanford guard Thompson transferring to Notre Dame
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/06/17 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Good luck to her.

Why did she quit on Tara?

My impression (biased of course) is that she never liked playing team ball, and once Orrange was out of the way, she thought it would be 'her' team, but instead Tara made it into McCall's team.

But sometimes these experiences help a player mature. Maybe Muffett will manage to get something closer to 'team' from her. She and Arike will be a pretty dynamic duo, even though both are mostly looking for their own shot.

- Amanda Gorman
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 01/06/17 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why are people surprised? Did I not read that the family jumped around in high school and club? Usually it is a determining factor and shows that some believe the grass is always greener 😂😂😂😂

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/06/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A transfer has certainly seemed to do Lexie Brown's attitude a world of good.

On the other hand, Sierra Calhoun, not so much.

So we'll see, but she's been around long enough to know how McGraw works, and vice versa, so they are both entering this with eyes open. And if she ends up not wanting to play McGraw's way, she probably won't play much, and I expect that was made perfectly clear.

She's smart enough. If she's choosing this course at this point in her life, I expect she's buying in.

I find it interesting that none of these shots were leveled at Reimer who did the very same thing - quit the team, finished the year of school, graduated, transfered. I don't recall people taking gratuitous shots at her or her family.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/06/17 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm,you mean you don't read McGraws Bench Laughing

Howee

PostPosted: 01/06/17 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
She's smart enough. If she's choosing this course at this point in her life, I expect she's buying in.

Bingo.

Being an erstwhile Stanford fan, and not as *invested* as some here, I can only say I was typically impressed by Lili's skill set in most games. ND or most any program should be interested in her; can she capitalize on this to enhance her pro stock? That seems to be her motive. Could be win/win for all concerned. Stanford certainly doesn't seem to miss her much, so no harm, no foul.

PostPosted: 01/06/17 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Why? Did you say the same garbage about Reimer there that you're saying about Thompson here?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/06/17 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it difficult to take shots at anyone who's managed to translate her basketball skills into an undergraduate degree at Stanford and at least part of a graduate degree at Notre Dame.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/06/17 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are too funny Art, you were trying to say that no one said anything about reimer, there are still people on the ND board saying stuff about reimer, they were saying stuff about Reimer while she was a player at ND, so your comment was a bunch of crap, but go ahead try to defer and spin.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/06/17 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
A transfer has certainly seemed to do Lexie Brown's attitude a world of good.

This seems like a more reputable opinion on Brown.

Quote:
Brown has maintained a 3.99 GPA in the classroom and represents one of the state’s top academic candidates in meeting the Gatorade Award’s broad criteria. In addition to donating her time as a youth basketball instructor, coaching a fifth grade Amateur Athletic Union basketball team and co-founding a mentorship program for younger Bulldogs players, Brown has volunteered locally at the annual Taste of Suwanee and on behalf of the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.

“Lexie Brown has a wonderful attitude both on and off the court,” said Jackie Lindquist, head coach of rival Mountain View High. “She has the ability to make everyone around her better while still doing the things necessary to help her team win. She carries herself like a winner and is always respectful of her opponent. She plays the game with class.”

https://www.ghsa.net/north-gwinnett-star-named-gatorade-georgia-girls-player-year

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/06/17 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Howee"]
ArtBest23 wrote:

Bingo.

Being an erstwhile Stanford fan, and not as *invested* as some here, I can only say I was typically impressed by Lili's skill set in most games. ND or most any program should be interested in her; can she capitalize on this to enhance her pro stock? That seems to be her motive. Could be win/win for all concerned. Stanford certainly doesn't seem to miss her much, so no harm, no foul.[/quot

Hmm so you know her motive? How do you know her motive? Or her families motive? I have not paid for the Bootleg since I was a booster many moons ago but I do have pals who do who would send screenshots of the comments of her father. I do read the Cardboard which is free and there were lots of comments on there by the same poster. The same poster was ousted as the IP numbers on the Cardboard are logged and the same poster who was posting on the Bootleg posted with several pseudos on the Cardboard with the same IP number. Those posts involved trashing the other players on Stanfords team along with the coaches.

So again what are her motives?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/06/17 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What were Lexie Brown's motives? And why should anyone care? Brown has become a team player at Duke and as a consequence is playing the best ball of her life. What difference does it make why she left Maryland?

FrozenLVFan has this one nailed. Why would anyone criticize someone who is finishing her degree and graduating from Stanford and then will pursue a graduate degree from Notre Dame? What a foolish thing to do. She'll regret that the rest of her life. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/06/17 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Then why don't you tell Howee that, I didn't bring up motives and I didn't bring up Brown, again keep spinning. Why should anyone care, thats a good one, idk why do you care?Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

tfan

PostPosted: 01/06/17 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 01/06/17 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of the best Notre Dame teams had guards leading them in FGA, players Charel Allen, Diggins, Mcbride, and Jewell Loyd. Have a player like Thompson will give Ogunbowale another player willing to shoot.
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 01/06/17 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't the whole Thompson clan move to Palo Alto when Lili went to Stanford?

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/07/17 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Question. Did Lili graduate from Stanford in December? I would think that if she didn't, she would've stayed in Palo Alto until May, graduated and immediately been eligible for 2017-2018. Such a strange situation. Play 3 years, sit out, go to games the fall semester of your senior year and watch the team you would've been one of the stars of, only to transfer with one semester left(Does Stanford do semesters?).

That would be a nice little gig for her. A Stanford undergrad and a Masters at Notre Dame, for free.

I'm 38 and still $17K in student loan debt.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 01/07/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
. They bashed Reimer for quitting on the team, transferring, etc. Other fanbases Tenn (Wiley-Gatewood) and UConn (EDD) have done same thing when. certain players transfered. .

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/07/17 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Question. Did Lili graduate from Stanford in December?

I'm pretty sure she was on track to graduate in December.

to your other question, Stanford does Quarters, not semesters.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/07/17 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
. They bashed Reimer for quitting on the team, transferring, etc. Other fanbases Tenn (Wiley-Gatewood) and UConn (EDD) have done same thing when. certain players transfered. .

Lumping Wiley-Gatewood in with the other two is a tad unfair. Most of the fan unhappiness was directed at Daddy Dearest, rather than her. He was seen as a Svengali, pulling her strings, and I for one thought that was pretty close to the truth. He just couldn't leave well enough alone. She was coming along nicely, but Pat's players had to earn their playing time, and sometimes the freshmen had a little bit of attitude that had to be dealt with. IIRC, she may hae had a little of that on occasion. Also, Jenny Moshak was a very cautious trainer, and if there was any little thing not quite right, they didn't play. Wiley-Gatewood had a kind of iffy knee, I think. Went on to Maryland and blew it out, if I am remembering right. Might have happened anyway, or not. But Daddy Dearest was mostly the problem and the target of fan ire.

PostPosted: 01/07/17 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SWG never blew her knee out at Maryland. She had too much tread on those tires at that point and her knees had been operated on. Her parents certainly had a rep as beyond high maintenance. If you remember, Vicki Baugh did rush back from knee surgery at Tennessee and blew her knee out. Conversely, Kellie Harper did the same and didn't blow her's out. So, who knows??

By most standards, Notre Dame has solid players coming in. Compared to a perimeter of Loyd, McBride, Diggins and front court of Peters and Achonwa, they are left lacking. Everybody but Connecticut would be in a similar position.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/07/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
SWG never blew her knee out at Maryland. She had too much tread on those tires at that point and her knees had been operated on. Her parents certainly had a rep as beyond high maintenance. If you remember, Vicki Baugh did rush back from knee surgery at Tennessee and blew her knee out. Conversely, Kellie Harper did the same and didn't blow her's out. So, who knows??

By most standards, Notre Dame has solid players coming in. Compared to a perimeter of Loyd, McBride, Diggins and front court of Peters and Achonwa, they are left lacking. Everybody but Connecticut would be in a similar position.

Not sure what point you're trying to make about Notre Dame but in any event Loyd and Peters never played together.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/07/17 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:

Seems like she had some kind of injury at Maryland. I don't remember. She never lived up to her early promise, though. I don't recall exactly what happened to her after she left Tennessee. I know when last heard from she was coaching HS ball in the LA area.

PostPosted: 01/08/17 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Lili's mother a Little Person? Lili herself isn't tall, but dang! Shocked Not many parents of that size can claim a hoops scholarship kid, eh?

PostPosted: 01/09/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND gets a commitment for 2018 .

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18436713/notre-dame-fighting-irish-land-verbal-commitment-top-ranked-junior-point-guard-jenna-brown

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/09/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's three guards in the 2018 class already. Which is why Thompson is such a good "plug" for the one year before they arrive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: