RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mercedes Russell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 01/06/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heck if she was playing for Uconn she would be NPOY as the other players would be double teamed and get her wide open looks LMAO.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/06/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jlcarter wrote:
Six blocks last night against Vanderbilt.

She had 4 blocks ( and 22 pts) against Baylor too. Of course it didn't hurt her that Brown only played 11 minutes due to foul trouble but an impressive performance nevertheless. Considering the opponent probably the best game of her college career.

Her team lost that game by 20, at home.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 01/06/17 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="linkster"]
Jlcarter wrote:

She had 4 blocks ( and 22 pts) against Baylor too. Of course it didn't hurt her that Brown only played 11 minutes due to foul trouble but an impressive performance nevertheless. Considering the opponent probably the best game of her college career.

Her team lost that game by 20, at home.[/quote
She has been playing very consistently all year. Since that game a few of her teammates have stepped up. Jackson, Reynolds have played better. Also team is playing better together.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/06/17 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's 6'6". Last night's six blocks got her ranking up to a tie for 77th in the country in blocks per game, tied with AJ Cephas of Nevada, and Brianna Rollerson of Creighton, both of whom are 6'0".

linkster

PostPosted: 01/06/17 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Jlcarter"]
linkster wrote:
Jlcarter wrote:

Her team lost that game by 20, at home.[/quote
She has been playing very consistently all year. Since that game a few of her teammates have stepped up. Jackson, Reynolds have played better. Also team is playing better together.

I agree. They are playing much better. But Sunday they play a good zone team. But a No 4 team that has one win against a ranked team.

LDYVOLS4EVER

PostPosted: 01/11/17 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Who's a better 6-6 center than Russell?

That's the point. At 6-6 and with her frame, she should be more dominant than she is. She's not terrible but I guess our expectations were set too high to begin with.

Averaging a double-double is sooooo middle of the road. She's so sub-par. Well, rest assured opposing coaches are NOT overlooking Russell. I can't believe how people blind themselves or are too proud to eat crow.

Keep sleeping on her, please.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 01/17/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RUSSELL MOVES UP THE BLOCK LIST: Russell had two blocks in the win, giving her 135 for her career and tying her with Teresa Geter (1997-99) for eighth-most in Tennessee history.
146 points needed for 1,000.

LDYVOLS4EVER

PostPosted: 01/19/17 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Are the very tall high school high ranked posts more likely not to live up to their ranking? I think Ashley Robinson was ranked up with Taurasi in high school. There was another big post, Nina Smith who came out of high school ranked at or near the top and did not match that ranking in college.

As a TN fan, I actually see how much Mercedes has improved since her surgeries. She is very talented and has an incredibly high BB iq. I think most of you are hung up on how she was compared to Candace while in high school. I've no idea why someone would do that other than the fact that Candace was her favorite player. It wasn't really fair. No one should be compared to the World's best BB player.

Ashley Robinson was ranked very highly, but she too was hampered by injury, in this case a torn ACL. She was never the same offensivery after that. She was still very good and aggressive on defense.

It just shows how injury can really put the brakes on a players development. Mercedes is getting there. Despite what some of you are saying, she's not a bit dissapointing. If she comes back next season expect to see her even more improved. TN will have even more guards that can deliver the ball at the appropriate time. Te'a will be back. Annie Hayes and Westbrook (who is an extraordinary passer) will be joining the ranks as well.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/19/17 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Russell had two blocks in the win, giving her 135 for her career

135 career blocks? Stokes had 147 blocks her senior year alone. Russell isn't among the top 50 in either blocks or rebounds. If she was 6'3" with the stats she has no one would even be suggesting she would be a lottery pick.

Quote:
TN will have even more guards that can deliver the ball at the appropriate time. Te'a will be back. Annie Hayes and Westbrook (who is an extraordinary passer) will be joining the ranks as well.

LOL I would have thought that by now that LV fans would have learned to temper their Pollyanna-like enthusiasm for incoming freshmen.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/19/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a long-time LV fan, I put no reliance on anything an incoming freshman might do. However, I do agree with LDYVOLS4EVER that Russell is on a continued track of improvement. She was not ready for college play as a freshman, and her foot problems really hampered her, but she's made a lot of progress with post moves, hook shot, and face up shots around the key. I really hope she stays at Tenn next year because I do believe she'll be an AA.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/19/17 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
As a long-time LV fan, I put no reliance on anything an incoming freshman might do. However, I do agree with LDYVOLS4EVER that Russell is on a continued track of improvement. She was not ready for college play as a freshman, and her foot problems really hampered her, but she's made a lot of progress with post moves, hook shot, and face up shots around the key. I really hope she stays at Tenn next year because I do believe she'll be an AA.

This....I think she could benefit the most from any player that can leave college early. 1 more year for her and she could be a real threat for ROY in 2018.

PostPosted: 01/19/17 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russell doesnt impress me at all. Waaaaay over hyped. Or maybe she just needs a real coach.

Last edited by Ay Mate on 01/20/17 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/19/17 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She'd impress you if she were wearing a different jersey. You're just prejudiced and won't admit it.

PostPosted: 01/20/17 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
She'd impress you if she were wearing a different jersey. You're just prejudiced and won't admit it.

Her progressive growth is whats impressive.

PostPosted: 01/20/17 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah thats exactly it. I'm prejudice and I just don't want to admit it. Rolling Eyes
Ridiculous. I was never impressed with Kiah Stokes at Uconn either and didn't think she'd go anywhere. I was never impressed with Kelly Faris and can't for the life of me understand why she's still in the WNBA. I liked Morgan Tuck in college but cringed and was not happy when the Sun drafted her.

Russell was overrated coming into college, has gotten a bit better despite inept coaching but I am still not impressed whatsoever. Natalie Butler was the Big East freshman or player of the year or something like that and I thought she'd be really good at Uconn, but she's pretty much terrible.

So yeah, I only like Uconn players because I'm prejudice and just won't admit it. Anymore stupid comments you wanna make just because someone on this board isn't impressed with Russell?

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 01/20/17 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah thats exactly it. I'm prejudice and I just don't want to admit it. Rolling Eyes
Ridiculous. I was never impressed with Kiah Stokes at Uconn either and didn't think she'd go anywhere. I was never impressed with Kelly Faris and can't for the life of me understand why she's still in the WNBA. I liked Morgan Tuck in college but cringed and was not happy when the Sun drafted her.

Russell was overrated coming into college, has gotten a bit better despite inept coaching but I am still not impressed whatsoever. Natalie Butler was the Big East freshman or player of the year or something like that and I thought she'd be really good at Uconn, but she's pretty much terrible.

So yeah, I only like Uconn players because I'm prejudice and just won't admit it. Anymore stupid comments you wanna make just because someone on this board isn't impressed with Russell?

stever

PostPosted: 01/20/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

...you sound tense, maybe you should relax and have a martini...man.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 01/20/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't like the taste of alcohol. I'll have an orange pop.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/20/17 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

LOL...now THERE'S a *bad memory* ! Razz

PostPosted: 01/20/17 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

It's just that he misses the old ESPN board and in his short time here (under this name, that is) he's doing all he can to turn this place into that mess.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 01/20/17 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Madison Williams at MichSt was the #12/#30 recruit, but was injured every year.
Candice Agee at PennState was on the U18 team, had only 1 healthy year as a junior, but outplayed the Rutgers bigs and went toe-to-toe with Zahui.
Marvadene Anderson at Pitt, had more than 2 knee majors iirc, basically never played.

edit -- responding to LDYVOLS4EVER up a ways.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/20/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
stever wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

It's just that he misses the old ESPN board and in his short time here (under this name, that is) he's doing all he can to turn this place into that mess.

Correct, except that he's only just beginning to do all he can do.
sigur3

PostPosted: 01/20/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not all whitedudes who luv wnba are prejudiced, come on guys.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/20/17 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I swear to fuck, guys. Knock off the personal shit that has absolutely no bearing on the topic of either the thread or the forum.

I personally am taking any poster's identity at face value and not attempting to ascribe the actions of another screen name to them. I would highly recommend this course of action to others.

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: